Random Discussion

That's just messed up.
Product Placement at 7:49AM, July 19, 2010
(online)

I understand that most people don't want to get involved but for Christ sake, call the police.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
crocty at 9:43AM, July 19, 2010
(online)
Wow that's pretty….Wow.

However because I've been taught to believe nothing that TV tells me, I'm going to assume it's fake, either a set, or that the sounds weren't actually that loud.

But if it isn't…Wow.
THIS NEW SITE SUCKS I'M LEAVING FOREVER I PROMISE, GUYS.
NOT BLUFFING, I'M GONE IF YOU DON'T FIX IT.
Oh god I'm so alone someone pay attention to me
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
bravo1102 at 12:12PM, July 19, 2010
(online)
I work in a highrise apartment building and everytime there has been a loud argument between people a neighbor always calls the staff or after hours security guard and they call the police. There are some places where people do the right thing.

However the last thing you want to do is get into the middle of a domestic disturbance. I didn't notice the police called about the drumming, and as this is South Africa (Johanesburg?) maybe they don't want to call the police because of their violent reputation?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
therealtj at 8:18AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
I think this is a case of the bystander effect. It's a psychological issue, when we witness something bad (like muggings and I suppose spousal abuse) and we know others are witnessing the same thing we always assume someone else will get help or whatever. Since everyone assumes this, there is little to no chance that the police will actually be called.

Of course, if whatever is going on directly affects us, we actually do try and do something.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
blindsk at 5:11PM, July 20, 2010
(online)
therealtj
I think this is a case of the bystander effect.

Definitely agree here.

I also wonder if part of it has to do with the shock value. Logically, anyone knows how to respond to emergency situations. But put them into a witness of said situation, and sometimes they lose focus, panic, and just don't know how to handle it anymore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
bravo1102 at 2:36AM, July 22, 2010
(online)
blindsk
therealtj
I think this is a case of the bystander effect.

Definitely agree here.

I also wonder if part of it has to do with the shock value. Logically, anyone knows how to respond to emergency situations. But put them into a witness of said situation, and sometimes they lose focus, panic, and just don't know how to handle it anymore.

As a security guard I call for emergency responders a lot more than other people do and even I get a little flustered. It never gets any easier. This is why they try to make calling in emergencies so simple. This is why emergency operators are trained to maximum information from crazed people.

1. Pick up phone
2. Dial emergency number 9-1-1 or 9-9-9
3. Answer operator questions. The most important is what are you experiencing and where are you located.

example: I hear people arguing very loudly on my street. That's 42 Schmucky Street
in East Bummfuckk.

My wife had a varicose vein burst on her ankle, there's blood everywhere, that's 2 Billions Ave with an “s” in North Mudville.

I see yellow eyes staring into my window and my ex-wife is crawling up the side of the building. That's 13Q Nutso Towers.

(the last two are real reports I recorded. All the addresses have been changed)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved