Debate and Discussion

The 'Big Brother' World?
Mr Chappers at 1:24PM, May 22, 2007
(online)
Firstly this is not about the Tv show…sorry.

I was sitting at a friends house reading a newspaper while they set up a halo game and i came a across the news of a new spy drone being used by the Liverpool police force here in England.
The Guardian
The UK's first police “spy drone” has taken to the skies.

The remote control helicopter, fitted with CCTV cameras, will be used by officers in Merseyside to track criminals and record anti-social behaviour.

The drone is only a metre wide, weighs less than a bag of sugar, and can record images from a height of 500m.

It was originally used for military reconnaissance but is now being trialled by a mainstream police force.

Now i think this is a huge step forward in the fight against crime, but there are a few other questions that can be raised from that section of news.

*If this goes national/global, Do we have the financial backing and personnel to carry out such a plan?
*If they can see people on the ground from up to 500m in the air, who/what else will the government be watching?
*Could this infomation fall into the wrong hands?

Personally i think the way this country's crime is going I'm happy to see big steps like this being taken, i would be happy if there was CCTV almost every where. As long as i knew/was sure it was being used for someone to cover my back.
I'm curious to see what the others here think of this.

Read the Author, its good i promise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:23PM, May 22, 2007
(online)
The Guardian
anti-social behaviour.

Question: By this, are they referring to loners to sociopaths? Either of those two fall under “anti-social”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
maritalbliss at 3:29PM, May 22, 2007
(offline)
That's creepy. Sci-fi for reals!

I think this is just laziness on the part of law enforcement. I feel the same way about this like I do about traffic light cameras. John Spartan–You are fined one credit…Also, very Dark Angel…Gotta' love civil liberties.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
wyldflowa at 3:39PM, May 22, 2007
(offline)
The way to prevent crime is to put funding into training more policemen to be out on the streets - not more goddam CCTV cameras. What use are they if there aren't enough police officers to get to the scene of the crime? Or if there isn't enough people employed to actually monitor the cameras?

I've seen it in action on the news and it's hardly built for speed and agility so it can't exactly chase criminals around… but I guess it's scope makes up for it… Have a look at the video. I don't know… It weirds me out a bit. We're watched enough already in this country without something that's actually able to follow you around as it films… I'm all for stopping crime but something about being filmed everywhere I go and having my image saved and stored without my consent makes me feel kinda violated. Yeah, people can argue “if you haven't done anything wrong then there's nothing for you to worry about” but crime is still happening and people are getting away with it even in areas with CCTV. It's not like once you're filmed anyone can 100% prove you're guilty - a camera is easily flouted just by covering your face.

Then again if it stops the Merseyside police putting those damn helicopters in the sky every five minutes then I can't complain. Those goddam things are annoying and LOUD and my dad said they cost thousands of pounds to run just for a few minutes… *lives in the area* DX
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
Aurora Moon at 4:36PM, May 22, 2007
(offline)
LIZARD_B1TE
The Guardian
anti-social behaviour.

Question: By this, are they referring to loners to sociopaths? Either of those two fall under “anti-social”.

and also you got to keep in mind that “anti-social” is often misused a lot…..

for instance, when people say anti-social they think it means that theres some people who refuses to be social, and is an loner.. or whatever….

WRONG!!!!

Anti-social people are actually the most social people that you would ever see. In appearance anyway. Anti-social people are the people who goes out of their way to be social with others, so that they may manipulate people to their liking. Those same people also likes to subtly make people feel bad about themselves, to make others' social experiences an living hell. All because they like to make others feel bad in order to feel better about themselves, and they use the social gatherings to do such a thing without being obvious about it.
So basically anti-social people are just people who likes to make social gatherings an living hell for others.

I hope that made sense…
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:47PM, May 22, 2007
(online)
Aurora Moon
Anti-social people are actually the most social people that you would ever see. In appearance anyway. Anti-social people are the people who goes out of their way to be social with others, so that they may manipulate people to their liking.

Yes, I believe that's what a sociopath is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
lothar at 5:51PM, May 22, 2007
(online)
wow ! it is realy creepy that the country that originated the idea of “big brother” is spearheading it's actualization !
if anyone has ever read Nineteen Eighty Four then you can see that it Was in fact prophecy !
so many aspects of this situation are straight out of the story
in 1984 the thought police used helicopters to peek into peoples windows

and on a more subtle note, what about the recent reality show with the same name ? a purposfull attempt to blur the image of BB in peoples minds , juxtapose the one with the other until people forget about the original feelings associated with Orwells “big Brother ” and, the only idea that they can summon up on hearing the words “big brother” is that lame TV show !
THAT is the real trick of the government of Oceana - Manipulation of the PAST !

! READ 1984 !!!!
http://orwell.ru/library/novels/1984/english/
GO There it's FREE
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Phantom Penguin at 2:42PM, May 23, 2007
(offline)
Well at least it something rather then nothing. I know in Michigan they are giving alot of police officers the boot and not fielding anything like a ‘drone’.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
chee2424 at 2:51PM, May 23, 2007
(online)
alex jones ppl
Prisonplanet.com
that is all.
^
^
^
Phantom Penguin
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
marine at 4:18PM, May 24, 2007
(offline)
I was in wal marts and commented on how many cameras they had, and how trivial it was since people rob them blind everyday even with the cameras. Its hilariously ironic to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Peter Melvin at 7:10PM, May 24, 2007
(offline)
six will get you ten that some scouser will shoot that thing out of the sky before the month is out

Pete

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Emma_Clare at 2:11AM, July 25, 2007
(online)
to be honest, I am kinda finding this whole “big brother” thing very tiring. At work I cannot have one conversation with someone without having cameras watching me. This is frustrating because my work seems hell bet on “no talking and all working” which makes it very frustrating. Now they have evidence on tape and that is something I do not like.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Sysli at 9:11AM, July 25, 2007
(online)
To whoever said that the solution is more police on the streets*: There is the risk of corruption when that approach is used. Or situations where a misunderstanding has happened where an unpartial recording of the event could tell what happened better than word-against-word. Take big demonstrations that turn violent. Sometimes innocent bystanders are arrested because they “looked thretening” or something like that. Knowing who tells the truth is pretty much impossible.

Still, I'm not saying everything will be fine and dandy due to cameras. There's no perfect solution. I'm just trying to see it from the other side.

Maybe it's all gone too far, maybe it's not. I don't know. I'm just living in this world, I don't understand half of it.

*Maybe you already adressed this, if you did, then I'm really sorry. I've got a bad habit skimming text when I'm a bit tired.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Rori at 5:19PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
For a sec, I thought this was going to be about this article.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM
Sysli at 2:54AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Wow, I find the article Rori mentioned more troublesome than the possibility of more cameras. Because how would they know about my sexual orientation or …philosophical beliefs? Some of the things I can see them finding out about, but how would they know about things I'm not sure about myself? Wild guesses maybe?
And I can't see what good it'll do them to know what I ate. Unless there's secretly been made a list of terrorist-food that only evil basdards eat. “Beware, bananas! It's a terrorist!”

Anyway, to try and turn this back on track, I can't see the purpose of storing random information gathered in who-know-what-ways for 15 years. That doesn't seem useful at all to me.
I can kinda see the purpose of surveilance. In theory it could work, but there's a good leap from theory to reality, so I'm not counting on it to make the world all bright and beautiful at once. But that drone could be a step in the right direction as long as we know it's used to do what they say they'll do. The problem is that we can't be sure it always will.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
TheTopHat at 3:19AM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
Well that great, not only dose the goverment have it caram wacting me whenever into the city-centor/road/work et know it has little floting dicks that can follow us about. Hate to point it out again but being able to see the poeple breaking the law will not stop them to being with. There some thing that have go to far and this is fastly becomeing one off them.

and while im haveing a rant the artial that Rori linked us to - BUTT OUT
There is not F'ing need for them to know that suff about us. What they going to get a profing unit togeter and use the information to try and prodict what of these poeple will do. Oh this so-and-so belive in a relingion that we don't agree with thy must be a terrorist!

Philosophical belives? - BITE ME MR U.S.A!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
TnTComic at 5:35AM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
Not too long ago, there was a sheriff in Texas that was advocating cameras be put inside people's apartments. You can guess what he said to justify it…

“If they don't have anything to hide, they've got nothing to worry about”

There should be a special penalty for anyone who says that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
Aurora Moon at 6:02PM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Not too long ago, there was a sheriff in Texas that was advocating cameras be put inside people's apartments. You can guess what he said to justify it…

“If they don't have anything to hide, they've got nothing to worry about”

There should be a special penalty for anyone who says that.

LOL. and I suppose he wouldn't mind government people watching his every move…him going to the bathroom to pee or shower… watching him make love to his girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/whatever.

That penalties should be this: For every person who suggests cameras be put into personal places such as apartments, people's offices and so on forth. They then shall be the one who is first to test-drive the cameras for a month. And every little things that the government and police shall be free to pit-pick the person on, such as their bathroom/bedroom habits as according to the video evidence. By the end of the month, see if they still like the idea.

Isn't it funny how certain people point others out and go “Look at that, what a disgusting person–just because she/he's a _______________. Should have the gorvenment watch that person's every movement!” But if the gorvenment happens to want to do something simlar to the certain people they object as seeing they think they wouldn't have ANY FAULTS THAT OTHERS WOULD FIND QUESTIONABLE WHEN IN FACT THEY DO!
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
zapheron at 1:31PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
the government is always watchin us, just liek the gods who sees earth as a reality show and flying cameras…that's not always a good thing
hope englan dosen't turn out like v for vandetta
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
Rusty Knight at 9:57AM, Aug. 18, 2007
(offline)
I honestly think the government would go insane and collapse if it watched everything we do all the time. I can imagine a spy drone watching me. 10 hours of sitting in the same spot. Besides, if they acted on everybit of “Anti-Social” behavior, the polic force would be so stretched out just chasing people who've had a bad day, or some derelict hobo. But maybe they do need to be stretched out, because everytime I see an accident around my house, no less than 4 cop cars with 2 cops each show up. THAT'S ALMOST ALL OF THE TOWNSHIP'S POLICE FORCE!
I'm Jon. You can call me Dr. Jon… but I prefer Jon since I'm not really a Doctor.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
mapaghimagsik at 11:55AM, Aug. 18, 2007
(offline)
Hmm and here I thought it was about This Article
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
TnTComic at 12:17PM, Aug. 18, 2007
(offline)
I look at shit like this like I did the F-117 Stealth. We hear about it 10-15 years after they've been doing it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved