Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The 10 Worst PCs of All Time
subcultured at 10:36AM, April 9, 2007
(online)
http://tech.msn.com/products/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4594343

lol haunted PC
Someone
some users reported their eTowers would simply turn themselves on in the middle of the night

the NIC relied on painfully slow dial-up connections. With no hard drive and a CD-ROM-based Linux operating system, it gave you no way to install software so you could work offline

Jobs insisted that the machine be built without a cooling fan; instead, the system's aluminum case served as a heat sink. (A mistake Apple repeated with the Mac G4 Cube in 2000.) Worse, the Apple III crammed too many components into too small a case. As the system overheated, circuit boards warped and chips popped out of their sockets; users were supposed to pick up the machine and drop it to re-seat the chips.

The Adam was marketed as the first home computer to come with everything you needed, including a tape drive and a letter-quality printer. The problem? Any media left in the drive would get zapped by a surge of electromagnetic energy when you turned the thing on, erasing all the data on it. And the Adam's power supply was inside the printer, so if the printer was defective (and many were), the computer wouldn't work.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
SpANG at 11:31AM, April 9, 2007
(online)
#1. Packard Bell PCs (1986-1996)

Too true. I sold these pieces of Junk at Wal-Mart. Although, I doubt the newer ones are much better (sold overseas).
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
Phantom Penguin at 11:37AM, April 9, 2007
(offline)
Suprise. Apple made a shitty product. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Alexis at 11:49AM, April 9, 2007
(offline)
I've bought two apples in the last 5 years and have been very happy with them, but everyone I know who bought a Dell is pissed off about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Terminal at 1:31PM, April 9, 2007
(online)
The Sony Vaio is an excellent piece of hardware.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
SpANG at 2:08PM, April 9, 2007
(online)
Alexis
I've bought two apples in the last 5 years and have been very happy with them, but everyone I know who bought a Dell is pissed off about it.
The ‘Tower’ mentioned in this list I am using right now, at work. I would imagine a lot of offices use it, because they are cheap.

Dell used to be a great computer. Then they outsouced everything. Serves them right to be on this list.
Zac at 2:14PM, April 9, 2007
(online)
Right when I read the title of this thread I was like: “hmm, I remember the worst PC i ever encountered was at my grandfathers house. The Packard Hell, as I remember I had dubbed it even in my early youth.” I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who hated that piece of crap.

The second worst computer I ever used was an Apple something or other 8 years ago.
Which is funny, because the best computer I've used is the one I'm using now..

Gawd I hate packard bell…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
sandy at 8:43PM, April 9, 2007
(online)
Well, I'd say Gateway has to make the list. Mom's had some problems even with her new one. I still have my Dell 8250 from 2002 and it works just fine for me. It's a little slow because the memory is being taken up by some artwork and photos but other than that, no viruses or corrupted hardware problems. But here's a trick too.. The computer is as good as the care it's given. Update the protection and it works for a long time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
draxenn at 12:16AM, April 10, 2007
(online)
Alexis

I have a dell and have had 1 problem with it, and the techs fixed it rather quickly.
You're also comparing Dell, a PC manufacturer in a sea of PC manufacturers to Apple who, to my knowledge, is the only one to manufactures apple computers.

Bottom line, everyone makes mistakes.
For apple it was the apple 3, for dell it was using substandard parts in their machines.
For nintendo, it was the virtual boy.
The list goes on :)
Screw the money! I have RULES!
. o O ( Evil )
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Alexis at 9:43AM, April 10, 2007
(offline)
draxenn
Alexis

I have a dell and have had 1 problem with it, and the techs fixed it rather quickly.
You're also comparing Dell, a PC manufacturer in a sea of PC manufacturers to Apple who, to my knowledge, is the only one to manufactures apple computers.

For apple it was the apple 3, for dell it was using substandard parts in their machines.

Haha, virtual boy. I looked for those on ebay the other day. That shit is considered a “collectors item” and costs like $150.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
SpANG at 10:05AM, April 10, 2007
(online)
Alexis
draxenn
Alexis

Haha, virtual boy. I looked for those on ebay the other day. That shit is considered a “collectors item” and costs like $150.

Dang! I still have mine. I bought it in 1998 for $5 on clearance! TIme to turn a profit!
ccs1989 at 2:15PM, April 10, 2007
(online)
I bought my Dell incredibly cheaply. It was somewhere around $300. So far it hasn't broken, although the hard-drive in one just gave out one day. That kind of sucked.

That's nothing compared to monitor problems though. I had two monitors in a row that kept flickering on and off. We thought it was something wrong with the computer, but it seems we just had the misfortune of getting 2 different monitors from different companies with the exact same problem. Weird.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
legendkiller13 at 3:55PM, April 10, 2007
(online)
Terminal
The Sony Vaio is an excellent piece of hardware.

yeah i got a vaio and i love it!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Rich at 2:42AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
#1. Packard Bell PCs (1986-1996)

I used to have one of those! My dad spent more time fixing it than anyone spent actually using it.

EDIT: And I use a Dell. It's actually great save for the fact that all the upgrade shit is bastard equipment you have to buy from Dell. I checked every option. There is no 3rd party chip that will fit into friggin' Dell ram sockets save for those overpriced things on their website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon