Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The 2011 DD Voice Contest Radio Play (yay)
ayesinback at 3:07PM, April 5, 2011
(online)
Edit June 1: We have our first try-out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maxwell, the detective
Free MP3 download: Maxwell_contender 01.mp3

YOU can do it, too:

First, read The Script and decide which character/s you want to try-out for (maximum of two characters).

Then record your voice reading the corresponding paragraph from the try-out (last 2) pages of the script. One recording per character (so if you want to try out for two characters, then make two recordings).
Ideally, create an mp3 file. I might be able to convert other files, but there are no guarantees. Name your recording file after the character you are trying out for.

PQ me for submission directions.

Links to the individual recordings will be provided in posts as they are received. The entries will remain anonymous during the voting period. The recording with the most number of votes will win the character role.

Submissions begin now and the deadline is Sat., June 25th.

To Everyone: Vote by PQing me and indicating which recording you think is the best for that role.

——————————————————-

Edit April 27:

Welcome to the 2011 version of the Drunk Duck Voice Contest!
This year, we’ll be doing more with the voices than just guessing who’s who. At the end of the contest, we’ll have a radio play, broadcast on the Quackcast, starring our very own DD members.

To start things off, we need a script.

Script submissions are being accepted now through May 15th.
One script per DD member. 10 to 20 minutes long. At least 5 characters. Keep it PG-13 please.

Formatting of scripts (these are guidelines; the goal is to have pages that are easy for someone to read out loud):
(from http://ernestoaguilar.org/how-to-format-a-script-for-radio/)
(1) When you write a script, this should be the format:
* Font: 14.5 Courier New
* A space and a half or double space for copy
* One inch border around the page
* Format bold on words if you want emphasis in the read
* Avoid italics due to legibility
(2) And do not forget basic radio journalism style rules:
* Keep it simple
* Write in short, concise sentences
* One idea per sentence
* Two to three sentences per paragraph

And here's a sample script to see the guidelines visually.

Regarding SFX: extremely minimal and simple unless you are planning to provide a recording of them.

Email word doc of script — PQ me to get my email address.

Scripts will begin to be uploaded May 16th to a community comic: Drunk Duck Radio Play (link to come).
Request from contest dictator: I need an artist to please donate the comic cover page — credit to artist assuredly will be provided.

Votes from community: May 17th through June 7th.
Comments to script/comic pages welcome, but votes must be PQ’d to me to be included in official tally.

Winning script will be announced June 9th in this thread, with Quackcast announcement to follow.

About the voice “try-outs”. These will be based on the winning script, so voice artists, decide which character you want and vote for that script.

For more information about the voice recording guidelines, check this post after May 17th.

Feel free to PQ me if you have any other questions, or post to this thread.

Thanks for joining in!

——-(wildebeests saving remnants of original post)

Now that we’re finding that voices and accents are FUN on the Quackcasts, it's time to think about a New and Improved, 2011 Drunk Duck Voice Contest.

It would be a lot different from last year: this time the contest would end with a 15-20 minute “radio play” broadcast presented, of course, on the Quackcast.

So, to get to there from here would be a couple of stages:

(1) the script. Here's where those who prefer to remain silent could contribute, either creating a script or adapting a few pages of their comic for a dramatized reading. There should be at least five, or more, different characters to allow for at least that many voices - plus a narrator as needed.

Hopefully we'd get at least 6 submissions, make the scripts available for reading (dunno how yet) and then DDers could vote for the script they like best. For now, I’m guessing by PQing me, but that’s entirely changeable.

(2) Voice Talent Try-outs. The script is announced and then anyone who'd like to be one of the voice characters would send in a recording of one of the script dialogues. The recordings would be aired on the Quackcast, with the IDs of the voices secret, and DD would again vote for the best voice for a character.

(3) Voices “win”, characters are assigned, and the radio play is constructed. Literally. I’ll probably need some help with said construction.

. . .

Thanks!
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Salsa at 4:51PM, April 9, 2011
(offline)
So, is there any particular format the scripts need to be in?
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
ayesinback at 6:10PM, April 9, 2011
(online)
Script formats. Meticulous adherence to the following guidelines isn't necessary, but please keep in mind that the overall aim is easy legibility for the reader, and these should help accomplish that.

(from http://ernestoaguilar.org/how-to-format-a-script-for-radio/)
(1) When you write a script, this should be the format:
* Font: 14.5 Courier New
* A space and a half or double space for copy
* One inch border around the page
* Format bold on words if you want emphasis in the read
* Avoid italics due to legibility
(2) And do not forget basic radio journalism style rules:
* Keep it simple
* Write in short, concise sentences
* One idea per sentence
* Two to three sentences per paragraph

And here's a sample script to see the guidelines visually.

Regarding SFX: extremely minimal and simple unless you are planning to provide a recording of them.

Last, I'm not sure what the best submission process would be, but I think saving each individual script page as a jpeg will end up being best practice so they can be uploaded to Drunk Duck for access.

Question to scriptwriters: Would you prefer to have your name included with your submission, or to have it revealed later once a script is chosen?
rokulily at 5:17PM, April 10, 2011
(online)
this sounds cool beans… i'll be doing tryouts laters!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
weirdwolfoflondon at 4:27PM, April 13, 2011
(offline)
I think I'd like to try my hand at scriptwriting. When's the deadline for submissions?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Faliat at 5:15PM, April 13, 2011
(offline)
I'm willing to do either. I'm not going back to college fo a good few months yet so I'll have the time. Voices would be preferred, though. Need to get back in the game for my own animations.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
seventy2 at 5:30PM, April 13, 2011
(online)
I love the sound of my own voice.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
ayesinback at 5:31PM, April 13, 2011
(online)
Hey! thanks for the interest!

Okay, rough, rough time line (will be finessed):

Script submissions: from 1 May to roughly 15 May.

Question to script writers: Given that many are finishing up school years, does this give folks enough time to write?

2nd question: What is the preference?
(a) anonymous scripts for voting, so that scripts are judged solely on story or
(b) writers of scripts known when voting, enabling those authors who are so inclined to “campaign” for their scripts.

3rd question: how do we make scripts available for reading/voting?
I'm thinking that I (or if someone else wants to step up, please say so) create a community comic, with each script its own chapter, similar to what Product did for the 24 Hour comics.
Please feel free to suggest something else if you have an idea on this.

How to submit?
Would this work for everyone? Email a word doc to me as an attachment. I'll convert to jpegs and upload to “comic”

After script submission, allow about 3 weeks for voting. Votes would be PQ'd to the vote collector (which, if there are no volunteers, would be me). Winner announced on Quackcast, and the voice try-outs/auditions based on characters in winning script would begin, which would be roughly1st or 2nd week in June.

First I'd like to nail down the script stage before getting too detailed about the voices.

Please state preferences to above questions, and feel free to offer suggestions.

Thanks again

zammap at 6:39PM, April 13, 2011
(online)
I ma very interested in voice acting

:O
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
bravo1102 at 12:58AM, April 14, 2011
(offline)
Ha! If I sign on you won't need any other voice actors. I can do all the voices myself like Mel Blanc. I provide great narration.
Most radio sound effects are done with stuff laying around the house so you could get imaginitive if you wanted.
How about a couple of fake commercials?

Drunk Duck radio theater brought to you by DD Whiskey: the preferred beverage of water fowl.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
gullas at 2:07AM, April 14, 2011
(offline)
errhm I'd like the voice tryouts, just sayin…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
same at 11:51AM, April 14, 2011
(online)
Where my voice not tainted with northern irish I would be more than glad to try out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
FormerDDer at 12:29PM, April 14, 2011
(offline)
Would the voices be the actors interpretation of that character? Or, when the script is done, certain roles would call for specific sounding voices?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
ayesinback at 4:42PM, April 14, 2011
(online)
NickyP
Would the voices be the actors interpretation of that character? Or, when the script is done, certain roles would call for specific sounding voices?
The voice actors will be trying out for parts based on the winning scripts, which is the reason scripts should have at least five characters (a narrator would be a “character” for tryout purposes, but not required if it doesn't fit into a story line).

Then the voice contestants would be able to submit two auditions, either for two different roles or two voice versions for the same part, but only able to win one part.

DD votes will determine which voice, whether an interpretation or someone's straight voice, will play the character.

btw: I'm really intrigued with Bravo's idea of some faux DD spots. I like the idea, but I think the spots would be more fun as surprises in the radio play than selected by votes — so how to collect/select these takes a little thinking. But it does open the door more widely for more voices to be incorporated.

rokulily at 8:00PM, April 14, 2011
(online)
same
Where my voice not tainted with northern irish I would be more than glad to try out.

ahhhh. do it anyway
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
zammap at 10:18PM, April 15, 2011
(online)
bravo1102
Ha! If I sign on you won't need any other voice actors. I can do all the voices myself like Mel Blanc. I provide great narration.
Most radio sound effects are done with stuff laying around the house so you could get imaginitive if you wanted.
How about a couple of fake commercials?

Drunk Duck radio theater brought to you by DD Whiskey: the preferred beverage of water fowl.

you can do girly voices?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
Anthony Mercer at 12:58AM, April 16, 2011
(online)
I'd be happy to try out for a voice role.
Don't take any of the above seriously. It is in my nature to joke.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Ally Haert at 7:25AM, April 19, 2011
(online)
Are there any dates/deadlines on this project? I'd be willing to take a shot at scriptwriting, though I'm not sure I'd be any good in the voice acting department. I'm from the deep south. I've had plenty of yankees complain about “southern accents” and how it grates on their delicate nerves. ;-)
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
ayesinback at 7:42AM, April 19, 2011
(online)
Ally Haert
Are there any dates/deadlines on this project? I'd be willing to take a shot at scriptwriting, though I'm not sure I'd be any good in the voice acting department. I'm from the deep south. I've had plenty of yankees complain about “southern accents” and how it grates on their delicate nerves. ;-)
You speak of the swaying cadence of gentility? Nonsense. Those who complain are just afraid of being lulled into submission.

So, when I have a little more time and things are more defined, I'll edit the first post so people will be able to find stuff more easily in this thread. To answer your question:

Okay, rough, rough time line (will be finessed):

Script submissions: from 1 May to roughly 15 May.

Question to script writers: Given that many are finishing up school years, does this give folks enough time to write?

2nd question: What is the preference?
(a) anonymous scripts for voting, so that scripts are judged solely on story or
(b) writers of scripts known when voting, enabling those authors who are so inclined to “campaign” for their scripts.

3rd question: how do we make scripts available for reading/voting?
I'm thinking that I (or if someone else wants to step up, please say so) create a community comic, with each script its own chapter, similar to what Product did for the 24 Hour comics.
Please feel free to suggest something else if you have an idea on this.

How to submit?
Would this work for everyone? Email a word doc to me as an attachment. I'll convert to jpegs and upload to “comic”

After script submission, allow about 3 weeks for voting. Votes would be PQ'd to the vote collector (which, if there are no volunteers, would be me). Winner announced on Quackcast, and the voice try-outs/auditions based on characters in winning script would begin, which would be roughly1st or 2nd week in June.

First I'd like to nail down the script stage before getting too detailed about the voices.

Please state preferences to above questions, and feel free to offer suggestions.
Ally Haert at 8:20AM, April 19, 2011
(online)
A few more questions and a few more answers.

(1) I'd prefer anonymous script voting, personally. That way when my script tanks it will be slightly less embarrassing.

(2) A community comic is very practical.

Now, questions:

What is the target length of these scripts - five minutes? Three minutes?

It was mentioned that we could try out for more than one radio part, but could we submit more than one script?
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
ayesinback at 9:05AM, April 19, 2011
(online)
Ally Haert
A few more questions and a few more answers.

(1) I'd prefer anonymous script voting, personally. That way when my script tanks it will be slightly less embarrassing.

(2) A community comic is very practical.

Now, questions:

What is the target length of these scripts - five minutes? Three minutes?

It was mentioned that we could try out for more than one radio part, but could we submit more than one script?
Originally I posted 15-20 minutes, with at least five characters. I think the aim should be 15 minutes, just in case we can incorporate the gag spots suggested by Bravo.

I would like to have some pretty clear guidelines to help submissions, but if a script is only 10 minutes and people like it, it will win. If it's 23 minutes AND skool/Oz say they can accommodate it for a Quackcast, then it's OK.

As to how many scripts? Hadn't thought about it. I have no idea how many scripts might be coming in, so the only thing I'm concerned about is reader burn out when trying tofigure out what they want to vote for.
Ally Haert at 9:13AM, April 19, 2011
(online)
How on Earth did I miss all of the information in this thread? All of my questions were already answered and rendundant. Sorry!
same at 5:35PM, April 19, 2011
(online)
rokulily
same

ahhhh. do it anyway

… I might.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
seventy2 at 8:07PM, April 19, 2011
(online)
i think here would be a great place to discuss this stuff. WINK.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
Mitaukano at 8:54PM, April 19, 2011
(online)
Well if no ones minds a girl who sounds suspiciously like Sylvester the cat I am so in!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Ally Haert at 9:47PM, April 19, 2011
(online)
Do you have any idea how hard it is to write a 15 minute script with minimal sound effects? I keep timing mine and it's hitting around the thirteen minute range.

And while I'm whining I might as well add that I'm using the designated format and it's made this script a beast. The sucker is like over twenty pages now, and not because it's some Shakesperean epic, the formatting just leaves a lot of dead space.

I'm only complaining because I don't want to really admit how much fun I'm having writing this - it might be a bit of a blow if I get attatched to it and it gets shot down. Though if that happens I can always salvage it for a short comic, I suppose.
dragonestea at 2:00PM, April 21, 2011
(online)
I'm in If I can get my hands on a good mike in time. I have been working on a rumbling low voice that I have been itching to try, and everyone tells me I'm an excellent dramatic reader.

I saw the script deadline, but once the scripts are in when is the voice deadline?
[
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM
ayesinback at 4:47PM, April 21, 2011
(online)
dragonestea
I'm in If I can get my hands on a good mike in time. I have been working on a rumbling low voice that I have been itching to try, and everyone tells me I'm an excellent dramatic reader.

I saw the script deadline, but once the scripts are in when is the voice deadline?
Excellent! another vict-, er, interested party!

Once the deadline for scripts has passed, I think we need roughly three weeks for people to access, read, and vote.

The voice “try-outs” are based on the winning script, so we can't begin to have voices until early/mid June. There's still a bit of “how-to”s I have to work out regarding the voices.

I'm going to wait a couple more days and if I don't hear any objections or suggestions otherwise, I'll edit the first post with some real script “rules”.

So far only one person has indicated a preference about whether script authors should be known or not. My one concern was about guarding “property rights” but if each author will note on their script, “copyright retained by author”, we should be fine.

With that in mind, those script writers who want to guard their identities and have questions, please PQ me.

blindsk at 10:54AM, April 22, 2011
(online)
I'd definitely agree with voting on anonymous scripts. And I agree that throwing up a comic page for the scripts is a great idea! We could comment on our favorite ones.

While I'd enjoy writing a script for this, I will instead attempt to lend my voice towards the winning one. As long as someone writes in a dull/boring/nerdy character I'm confident I won't even have to try. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Ally Haert at 4:19PM, April 22, 2011
(online)
Hypothetical question: Could I try out for a part in the play if my script is the one that wins?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon