Debate and Discussion

The Balkans... what would you do?
Polkster at 2:39PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
How would you prevent another war? Kosovo isn't independent enough to be unstable and black market interests there and throughout Bosnia make the prospect of war unappealing to a great deal of the population, but Montenegro could potentially be another Kosovo if it also experiences that violent nationalist spark that set Kosovo ablaze. Relations between Republika Srpska and the rest of Bosnia are also supposedly tense, and economic inequality between Bosnia's two regions may motivate some towards secession, ala Slovenia from Yugoslavia back in the day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
bravo1102 at 8:05AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
And this is news? This has been going on for a few hundred years and has set off a few wars. It took the strong personality of Tito to put it to rest for a few decades. We just have to wait for them to sort it out again.(?) Maybe elect another king, or maybe hope for half of the Balkans to be annexed by some other power. Or make NATO's KFOR, IFOR, SFOR occupation permanent which would amount to the same thing.
(tongue in cheek) It's a good vacation after deployment to Iraq and Afganistan. lol! (rueful laughter)

Cue the Kosovo song… (music originally by the beach Boys(Kokomo), lyrics by Billy Florio

Bosnia, Herzegovina (Oo I don't want to take you)
to Slovenia, Macedonia (Please don't make me take you)
To Croatia, Albania (I don't want to go to)
Serbia, on the Aegean Sea

There's a place called Kosovo,
that's where you don't want to go
to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand
People kicking you off your land
we'll be falling to the ground from a gun of a Serbian man
way down in Kosovo

To Croatia, Albania (I don't want to go)
Down to Kosovo

If we get there fast, then we will die real slow
That's where you don't want to go
Way down to Kosovo
(Seriavjo, where I don't want to go)

We'll try not to be seen
try to escape the Serbians reach
If we don't get by they will kill the men in our family

After we lose the fight
We will all sleep longer than the night
we will all die
none of us will survive
way down in Kosovo

down to Kosovo

If we get there fast we will die real slow
That's where we don't want to go
way down in Kosovo
(Herzegovina, I don't want to be there)

Nobody wants to know this little place called Kosovo
But all the Serbians want to go and get rid of it all
yes that little Kosovo

down to Kosovo

way down in Kosovo

down to Kosovo

way down in Kosovo
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Polkster at 8:42PM, May 12, 2009
(online)
A simple “I am unfamiliar with the subject matter” would have sufficed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
bravo1102 at 7:17AM, May 13, 2009
(online)
Polkster
A simple “I am unfamiliar with the subject matter” would have sufficed.

How many returning veterans do you know from IFOR, KFOR etc? I know entirely too much about it troop which is why I'm so dismissive of it. This has been going on since at least the original battle of Kosovo and that was centuries years ago.

There were two Baltic wars before WWI in the 20th Century. The French in the Napoleonic Wars easily enlisted Balkan peoples to fight with them. The Soviets and Germans played one group off of another in WWII. How about the rueful joke on the front of a German Truck in KFOR when it rolled into Kosovo? “We're Back!” referring to the German WWII occupation.

You're the one sadly ignorant about the mutual Balkan hatreds. This is not the Irish and British. This goes deeper. Ethnic hatred because of centuries old betrayals and continuing until today?

It takes a leader to see past that to unify them, or a common enemy (Austrian or Turkish imperialism) Pan Yugo-nationalism was all too brief and personified in their king and then Tito but even then everyone chafed under the Serbs.

No, right now military occupation may be the only way to go until the Yugoslavian peoples sort it out. They're tired but the peoples are very accutomed to it. hate the violence but it is never ending. We have to wait them out until the people stand up and over power the fanatics with peace initiatives. Until then NATO will keep them in line.

Been there, done that, no tee-shirts from this one but too many memories of mud and cold.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Orin J Master at 9:47AM, May 14, 2009
(online)
Polkster
How would you prevent another war{ in the balkans}?

define “you”. as a person in the community and/or leader of one of these areas or an outside power?

anyways, my opinion is it's really not a matter for outside forces to get involved in, because it's pretty much the geopolitical equivilent of a “domestic disturbance”. the best thing in my opinion? let them sort themselves out. if you want to help do at least one of two things: prevent other outside interests from meddling (war profiteering and such, natch), and sell them supplies for them to care for their people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
ozoneocean at 2:30AM, May 15, 2009
(online)
Montenegro will never go the same way as Kosovo- Serbs aren't as insane about it. ;)
To Serbians Kosovo has never been anything but an inseparable, integral part of their own country. That Albanian immigration over the years changed its character and demographics is something they did not acknowledge. It was not only part of their homeland, it was a sacred part of their homeland. -Like the Israelis with much of Israel; they just don't see the reality of long term Palestinian residence, they still cling to this idea of a mythical indivisible solidly Jewish homeland of 2 thousand years ago.

Montenegro is different. Those people have always had a different character, one acknowledged by the Serbs. If Montenegro broke away completely, it might result in war, it might not, but NOT as evil and nasty as the horrors of Kosovo, and obviously not on the scale of the Bosnian or Croatian conflicts.

I think war is unlikely, the differences there just aren't that big, Serbia wants to stay big and strong and have a lot of influence in the area and there's still that strong destructive nationalistic streak in them, but not the underlying hatreds. The Croats supported a different side in WW2 and they're Catholic,so even now they're different. The Bosnians were mostly Muslim and the Serbians have hated Muslims since the Turks took over. The Albanians in Kosovo were not only Muslim, but regarded as outsiders trying to steal away a bit of Serbian territory…

But what are Montenigrans- Mountain Serbs? I just don't think the Serbs would be able to work up the vehemence for yet another brutally destructive war. The people aren't different enough to be suspicious and hateful of them and yet they're regionally distinctive enough that the Serbs recognise them for that and have for a very long time.

If the idiots want to split I'd make sure they were able to. Just what Europe needs: yet another economically pathetic micro country… But that's better than continuous unrest because nationalist tits can't live together.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved