Media Megaforum

The Batman: Season Four
ccs1989 at 3:30PM, Sept. 19, 2006
(online)
Trailer from ComicCon for The Batman Season Four

What's this? Harley Quin? A tribute to "The Dark Knight Returns"? Music that sounds like it would be at home in Bruce Timm series? Kevin Conroy guest-starring in a role as Robin's father? Some INTERESTING looking villains voiced by some people from Justice League Unlimited?! And a decently interestingly-designed Robin actually becoming part of the cast?

I might be completely wrong here, but I'd say that there's actually some hope for the "The Batman" show.

Veeerry interesting. I guess I'll watch the new episode this Saturday.

EDIT- TVRage.com also says that Mark Hamill will be doing voice-work on this season as well, although not as Joker. Still, Mark Hamill in ANY show is a big step in the right direction. And Paul Dini, one of the main creators of Batman The Animated Series, is returning to write the episode with Harley Quin this season.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
lordpepito at 3:58PM, Sept. 19, 2006
(offline)
looks like The Batman is finally going in the right direction. If Mark Hamil isnt going to be the joker i hope he can atleast give the guy that is the joker some pointers because I really hate this version of the Joker and his voice.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ccs1989 at 4:53PM, Sept. 19, 2006
(online)
You know, Mark Hamill is probably my favorite actor, and he got there by being the Joker. But the guy's had SO much experience as the character as well as gereral great acting experience that it's hard to judge anyone against him.

I think of the Joker in "The Batman" as kind of "The Black Joker". I know his skin's white, but he's voiced by a black guy and he had DREADLOCKS for God's sake. Still, it was a big gamble and a dramatic re-imagining of the character. He's not as smart as Hamill's Joker, not by far, but he's got some charm somewhere there. (I hope it doesn't sound racist that I called him the ‘black’ Joker but then said he wasn't as smart as the other, ‘white’, Joker from previous series.)

Anyway this is supposed to be at the begining of Batman's career. Maybe Joker'll adapt aas time goes on, maybe changing in the fourth season a bit. Everything else seems to have improved.

By the way, the part Mark Hamill is playing is that of Tony Zuko, the guy who killed Robin's parents.

One last thing I've got to add is that as far as re-imaginings go I actually prefer this Batman to the new Batman Frank Miller has created in ‘The All-Star Batman and Robin’. I could never take the sheer bitterness that guy had or how cruel he was.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Hawk at 5:28PM, Sept. 19, 2006
(online)
Is it just me or did the art style change? I haven't watched the show since the first season, but I'm not seeing "tumor-head" Batman in the Jackie Chan Adventures style. The non-Batman people looked a lot like the Animated series style. Robin looked like Teen Titans Robin but with a voice that's not quite as cool.

And those villain sketches did look neat. The video convinces me to give The Batman another shot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Ian Jay at 6:38PM, Sept. 19, 2006
(offline)
Hawk
Is it just me or did the art style change? I haven't watched the show since the first season, but I'm not seeing "tumor-head" Batman in the Jackie Chan Adventures style. The non-Batman people looked a lot like the Animated series style. Robin looked like Teen Titans Robin but with a voice that's not quite as cool.

And those villain sketches did look neat. The video convinces me to give The Batman another shot.

True. I still don't think the series is going to be as good as the early ‘90s version (I was especially surprised by both Robin’s and Batgirl's voice actors. Both characters looked and sounded like they were about eight or nine, which I consider to be sort of young for the beating-the-crap-out-of-people business), but I think it's starting to realize that people expect the series to be more than just a 22-minute-long commercial for the franchise. I mean, come on. It's flippin' Batman.

Also, did anyone else besides me dig the Martian Manhunter appearance? I like the Martian Manhunter. He has a lot of amazing powers (though he isn't as invincible as Superman, which is good), plus he has the required super-tragic superhero origin story (He had a wonderful life! He had a wife and two kids! And now it's all gone!). …And yet he always seemed to get upstaged on the Justice League animated series– he was always the guy holding down the satellite, or driving the plane, or helping injured people while the Flash defeats a giant robot by… I don't know… sarcasm-ing it to death or something. I don't know why Jonn was so unloved. Maybe it was the freaky-deaky Mr. Spock vibe he gave off. Anyways, it's good to see that he might be getting a more prominent part in The Batman (note the The!).

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Eggbert at 6:53PM, Sept. 19, 2006
(offline)
Hey, those are some really neat character and set designs.

Is this show good now? I watched a couple of episodes when it premiered and I couldn't stand it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
Whiskers at 9:11PM, Sept. 19, 2006
(offline)
Mnyar, not to be the devil's advocate, but seeing the character designs looking somewhat good in pencil, they might not transfer so well onto the screen. *frown*

I very much dislike this whole ‘let’s make animation look sleek' feel. To me, it resembles laziness/lack of money. I really don't like the OMGHUGEEYES of Batgirl and Robin, nor the massively undetailed bodies and limbs. And seeing Harley Quinn is awesome, since she oh so totally rocks, but ugh. Comparing to Batman: The Animated Series, the character designs here do nothing for me.

The music doesn't exactly spark any interest either; it feels like someone just jotted something into a computer and came out with it. And is it just me, or does Batgirl and Robin look really young. Oo; Batman = pedophile?

As a Batman fan, I'm going to keep passing this crap and saving my moo-lah to buy the Batman: The Animated Series box sets.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
SarahN at 1:00AM, Sept. 20, 2006
(online)
…I can't get past the art style….it's so damn ugly.
….nobody wants to try anymore….
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
isukun at 4:22AM, Sept. 20, 2006
(online)
By the way, the part Mark Hamill is playing is that of Tony Zuko, the guy who killed Robin's parents.

Which is kind of too bad. I liked Tom Wilson in the part in the 90's series. He really fit the part. I can't really imagine Mark Hamill playing the same character so I'm guessing they'll change his personality a bit. The 90's series had all sorts of cameos by professional actors. I still liked the little nod they had to the old 60's show when they had Adam West play the washed out actor who portrayed the Gray Ghost, a TV hero who inspired Bruce as a kid.

And yet he always seemed to get upstaged on the Justice League animated series– he was always the guy holding down the satellite, or driving the plane, or helping injured people while the Flash defeats a giant robot by… I don't know… sarcasm-ing it to death or something.

Martian Manhunter was too useful. I mean come on, super strength, shape-shifting, mind reading, and he can phase through stuff. The writers probably had difficulty finding ways to hurt him each time he was around. The character was more a source of frustration for my friends and I as we kept sitting there saying "why didn't he just phase through that?" or "why didn't he just reach into his chest and crush his heart like in the pilot?" He was possibly the most overpowered character in the show.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ccs1989 at 11:06AM, Sept. 20, 2006
(online)
I really don't mind that fact that Robin joins the team as a kid. In the comic ‘Batman: Dark Victory" by Jospeh Loeb, Robin joined Batman as a kid only a few years after Batman began fighting crime. This fits that story.

The problem I have is with Batgirl. How the heck did she learn how to fight? She didn’t have the background of a gymnist like Robin did.

Still I suppose the idea of young partners in crime fighting is always a problem. Would Bruce Wayne really want to put these kids in jepordy? I guess since ‘The Batman’ is more technologically-savy they could make some kevlar vests of enhancements to the suits though.

Edit- On the topic of the fourth season, Andrea Romano, voice director of the large majority of DCAU series in the past, has joined the team making this show. That's what's probably responsible for the older voice actors from JLU, etc. coming back onto this show as a wide variety of characters.

lordpepito at 4:31PM, Sept. 20, 2006
(offline)
Well batgirl (in The Batman) was a gymnist if i remember corectly but that still doesnt explain how she can fight. And if you see the comercial they show on TV doesnt Robin look abit too hyper.

The (black) Joker of The Batman can change little by little into the Joker we all knew and loved from Batman TAS by just getting a haircut and standing up straight but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. But they should atleast try to make Joker Batman's mortal ennemy like he should be. Up till now Joker vs Batman isnt that great. They had a chance to make them mortal ennemys when Joker turned batman's black friend into Clayface but they didnt. I SHOULD BE THAT SHOW'S WRITTER!!!!…

ccs1989 at 4:54PM, Sept. 20, 2006
(online)
Well, I've bought the 2nd Season of "The Batman" (I hear it's the best out of the 3 that they've released) and although I haven't gotten it yet I hear there's two good Joker episodes in it which make Joker into Batman's mortal enemy. Of course one thing Batman in all incarnations has tried to do was avoid the idea that he had a "mortal enemy". Mark Hamill's Joker became that, but only becuase of repeated acts on a grand scale. This Joker has only begun to do that.

Writing could use serious work, yes, but at least it's getting better.

jalford at 4:14PM, Sept. 21, 2006
(online)
It was weird on the original Batman 90s series when Tim Drake became Robin, Greyson comes back here and there as Nightwing, and only then did Batgirl seemed attracted to him. But since she was with Batman most of the time, she started gearing toward him. In Batman Beyond, the older Barbara Gordon hinted that she and Bruce had a thing, but I doubt it. Bruce might be a player, but he ain't gonna do it with someone who's young enough to be his daughter, and his best friend's daughter! They ain't doing any of that on this new show.

I'm wondering if the new Legion Of Superheroes with the younger Superman/Superboy is supposed to be connected to The Batman at all. It would be weird seeing a teenage Superman teaming up with Batman in his prime along with his now two sidekicks. Imagine a love triangle between young Superman, Batgirl, and Robin! This could be like an "All-Star" version of the original animated continuity.

BTW, how many cities is Adam West mayor of? Bet there's no Dig 'Em statue in downtown Gotham!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ccs1989 at 12:25PM, Sept. 22, 2006
(online)
I've watched some more episodes of Season 1 of this show (online, cause I sure ain't gonna buy it) and I have to say it's better than I previously gave it credit for. No B:TAS, for sure, but it has it's good points. The episode with Mr. Freeze is the one I have a big issue with. They cheapened his character by cutting out the "saving diseased wife" angle in his backstory, and no matter how good a voice actor Clancy Brown is, he can't make "Have an 'ice day." work.

Legion of Superheros looks pretty bad though. I dislike "Teen Heros" shows, and the animation style is ugly.

jalford at 3:08PM, Sept. 22, 2006
(online)
"What kelld da dinozors? Deh Iess Aig!"
ccs1989 at 4:36PM, Sept. 22, 2006
(online)
Just watched the episodes "Q&A" and "The Man Who Would Be Bat" (w/ Man-Bat). They were both pretty abysmal. Nice animation, especially on the Man-Bat one, but I'm sure glad that Quiz-Master guy didn't EVER appear again.

ccs1989 at 8:11AM, Sept. 23, 2006
(online)
Just watched the first episode of Season 4 on WB. It was pretty good. Conroy and Hamill gave great appearance performances. Hamill's Zuko was very good. I could hardly tell that that was Hamill's voice. Very Itallian.
They didn't change much at all about Robin's origin except how he got that name. The rest was fine.

My favorite lines:

Zuko: "You know, I used to be ina circus, as a knife thrower, Batman. My dad would get tied up on that board and I'd throw knives at him. And he'd say ‘I knew I should have gotten you piano lessons.’ Crowd went hysterical every time."

Batman: "So why'd you throw away such a promising career?"

Zuko: "Well you see, one day I missed."

lordpepito at 9:45AM, Sept. 23, 2006
(offline)
I saw it and I have to say the writting has improved. They didnt mess too much with Robins story and that is a good thing. Mark Hamill did a great job as Zuko. I couldnt tell it was him. It felt kinda weird having the voice of Conroy there especially hearing him sound all happy. I hope the next episodes this season will be this good or better.

ccs1989 at 9:50AM, Sept. 23, 2006
(online)
There's only two Joker episodes this season, and one of them will be written by Paul Dini, so it's bound to be good. I'm glad the show had turned itself around so much.

lordpepito at 12:07PM, Sept. 23, 2006
(offline)
I just hope they dont mess with Harley's backstory. And I hope the Joker gets a hair cut.

Is it just me or did Robin's dad look alot like Bruce in Batman TAS? I wonder if it was intentional because Conroy was the voice.

ccs1989 at 1:59PM, Sept. 23, 2006
(online)
Hey I just watched the episode "The Laughing Bat" and "JTV" from Season 2. Both Joker episodes. He actually does some pretty good performances. Also "The Laughing Bat" was an episode that they COULDN'T have done with the old Joker, because the old Joker wasn't spry enough to pull of a Batman impersonation.

I'm actually starting to like this new Joker. The Joker as portrayed in "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker" will always be best, but this one is getting good too. He fits The Batman's world, and the voice-actor really improves from season one.

Comicmasta at 3:16PM, Sept. 23, 2006
(offline)
Personally i love this new joker, it be meh favotire one yet, Argh

Ye cant beat sleeves.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
ccs1989 at 3:35PM, Sept. 23, 2006
(online)
He was pretty bad in his Season One appearances, but in Season 2 he's a lot of fun. It would be extremely funny if Hamill Joker met Richardson Joker. I'm not sure who would win a fight though. In Return of the Joker, Hamill's Joker could beat Batman even with his advanced Bat-Suit on.

I'm over-analysing this. Damn, does this mean I'm actually a fan of "The Batman" series?

Comicmasta at 3:47PM, Sept. 23, 2006
(offline)
Yarg ye be a Batman fan boy like the rest-o-us, We actually have a batman in a certain forum
**cough cough** TASC **cough cough**
lordpepito at 5:04PM, Sept. 23, 2006
(offline)
I have been thinking of a way to get rid of this joker because even though he has improved from season 1 I still hate him, and bring back Mark Hamill's joker. Well heres my idea:
The Joker wants in on the organized crime biz so he captures a crime boss Jack Napier (taken from the Batman 1989 movie). Joker decides to make Napier into a freak just like him so he can show what will happen to the rest of the mob if they dont join him. Once he transforms Napier into another Joker Napier turns out not to be the mindless fool Joker thought he would be. Napier kills the Joker and takes over as the new Joker.

Im thinking of writting that story as a fanfic for my devart account. What do you guys think of it?

jalford at 1:39AM, Sept. 24, 2006
(online)
I liked the Mask Of The Phantasm origin of Joker. It tied him to Batman's origin pretty well.
ccs1989 at 7:00AM, Sept. 24, 2006
(online)
lordpepito
I have been thinking of a way to get rid of this joker because even though he has improved from season 1 I still hate him, and bring back Mark Hamill's joker. Well heres my idea:
The Joker wants in on the organized crime biz so he captures a crime boss Jack Napier (taken from the Batman 1989 movie). Joker decides to make Napier into a freak just like him so he can show what will happen to the rest of the mob if they dont join him. Once he transforms Napier into another Joker Napier turns out not to be the mindless fool Joker thought he would be. Napier kills the Joker and takes over as the new Joker.

Im thinking of writting that story as a fanfic for my devart account. What do you guys think of it?

Well they wouldn't do that on the show, but it would be cool to see an episode like that. I don't read fanfiction though.

Tyrapendragon at 4:30PM, Sept. 25, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
Legion of Superheros looks pretty bad though. I dislike "Teen Heros" shows, and the animation style is ugly.

I watched it on Saturday and I enjoyed the premier. I usually agree on the "Teen Hero" thing, but "Legion of Superheros" is actually from the original Superman Comics. Superman as a teenager was part of the Legion in the orignal continuity. With the way DC changed things that's not true anymore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
jalford at 2:05AM, Sept. 26, 2006
(online)
Then again, alot of their continuity is messed up if they're all supposed to tie together. Batman mentioned in one episoded that Robin II(Tim Drake)had joined with the Teen Titans, but the one on the actual TT show is Dick Greyson, or at least as any material of the storyline has given.
Comicmasta at 2:57AM, Sept. 26, 2006
(offline)
jalford
Then again, alot of their continuity is messed up if they're all supposed to tie together. Batman mentioned in one episoded that Robin II(Tim Drake)had joined with the Teen Titans, but the one on the actual TT show is Dick Greyson, or at least as any material of the storyline has given.
That was a Static Shock episode, was it not?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved