Media Megaforum

The Best Animated Move You Have Ever Watched?
mlai at 6:35AM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
crazyninny
The Secert of NIMH was a master piece it self! I wounder why it isn't apperciated like other cartoons?
Because most Americans still have this idea that cartoons about Disney-like furries should be bright and simple. NIMH has a large cult following - Any serious furry-fan will have seen this movie, and a lot will tell you that this movie molded their furry-fandom. But compared to the public at large, these ppl can only constitute a cult.

NIMH2… I was young but still smart enough to be turned away by the box cover alone. Sounds like I was right.

BTW, it's NIMH not NIHM. National Institute of Mental Health.

Wizards… Watched it, didn't like it. But I can say that it's simply not my cup o', rather than it being bad. It was avant garde, and the rotoscoping was out of necessity due to lack of budget.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
alexhatzia at 8:26AM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
for me it's between the prince of egypt and the lion king.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
crazyninny at 11:59AM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
I never watched the Secert of NIMH 2, but from what I hear, I'm better off not even looking at the boxes. @_@

The frist time I watched, I was very young. So I was scared off by the deepness of the story. It wasn't until I gotten older, and was able to understand the meaning of it all, did I see that it truly is a masterpiece NOT made for little kids.
Maybe thats what should happen, if more people made more cartoons aimed for mature audiences, that that'll help people see that cartoons aren't just for kids?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
mlai at 12:18PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
No, I think NIMH was for kids. I watched it when I was in grade school, and I understood it just fine. I didn't have nightmares. I didn't grab a knife and go out stabbing ppl.

I did go to the library and learned a lot more about rodents.

I think it's just that the suits today underestimate kids in America, and just feed them empty trendy crap the equivalent of fast food.

JustNoPoint at 12:43PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
Street Fighter 2
The Animated Movie

Best animated fight scenes I had ever seen and it has SF characters, so nothing else can compare.

Then again I have watched very few of the movies anyone else has mentioned in this thread.

Oh, and Aladdin… Loved Disney's Aladdin ^^
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Priest_Revan at 1:37PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(offline)
mlai
No, I think NIMH was for kids. I watched it when I was in grade school, and I understood it just fine. I didn't have nightmares. I didn't grab a knife and go out stabbing ppl.

I think it's just that the suits today underestimate kids in America, and just feed them empty trendy crap the equivalent of fast food.

NIMH was for children, but there were themes in it that some could consider not suitable for children (blood, cussing, etc.).

I didn't find it at all bad, personally, but that's for the Censorship Bureau to figure out.

Because most Americans still have this idea that cartoons about Disney-like furries should be bright and simple. NIMH has a large cult following - Any serious furry-fan will have seen this movie, and a lot will tell you that this movie molded their furry-fandom. But compared to the public at large, these ppl can only constitute a cult.

Yes, I wont lie, this was really a movie that molded my personal furry fandom, but I can't say that it was what really made me want to really join it.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
MrRiot at 2:49PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
Help me out here, gang…I thought of another one, but I can't remember the title.

I saw it on HBO, oh, two or three years ago late-night. It was about Moses and the Plagues and all that…but it played up Moses as more of a sorcerer, almost. The animation almost looked to be Aeon Flux quality…but the coloring was darker and more subdued (Think Hellboy color style). I just remember watching it and thinking, “Wow.” because it shows Moses, not God, coming up with what the plagues were going to be…which I thought was a really cool twist.

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
SarahN at 3:17PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
MrRiot
I saw it on HBO, oh, two or three years ago late-night. It was about Moses and the Plagues and all that…but it played up Moses as more of a sorcerer, almost. The animation almost looked to be Aeon Flux quality…but the coloring was darker and more subdued (Think Hellboy color style). I just remember watching it and thinking, “Wow.” because it shows Moses, not God, coming up with what the plagues were going to be…which I thought was a really cool twist.
Possibly “Prince of Egypt” that was previously mentioned?
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=prince+of+egypt&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
Otherwise I don't know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
TheMidge28 at 3:35PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
SarahN
MrRiot
Possibly “Prince of Egypt” that was previously mentioned?
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=prince+of+egypt&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
Otherwise I don't know.

from his description I don't think that's it….but who knows…I was intrigued and tried searching… with no results. Riot, you sure you weren't drunk watching Prince of Egypt?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:22PM
SarahN at 3:37PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
Well, the art seemed darkish sometimes in Prince of Egypt…and I think Moses named the plagues.
Exzachly at 4:19PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
Hmmm, well I'm surprised no one has mentioned Perfect Blue (or any other one of Satoshi Kon's works, for that matter). Tense, complex, visceral and frequently brilliant film making. Kon has a very distinct directing style that disorients the viewer, distorts reality, and truely makes the viewer feel the same sense of rising panic the character is undergoing.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
crazyninny at 6:27PM, Oct. 10, 2007
(online)
mlai

If it helps my case… The Little Mermaid gave me nightmares…
ANY KID WOULD OF BEEN FREAKED OUT WHEN ARIEL HAD THAT CRAZED LOOK ON HER FACE AS SHE JUMPED THAT BREAK IN THE ROAD. O_O …

Jonko at 6:34AM, Oct. 11, 2007
(online)
Top 3:

1. (Don't laugh) One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (so good…)
2. The Land Before Time (The original of course!)
3. The Emperor's New Groove
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 1:03PM, Oct. 11, 2007
(online)
Oh God, it's been years since I saw The Iron Giant. All I can remember from the move was the kid watching a horror movie and the giant freaking out when the kid aimed a toy gun at him. 0_o

SarahN
Well, the art seemed darkish sometimes in Prince of Egypt…and I think Moses named the plagues.

I just remember the “Let my People Go” song playing through the plagues, which were pretty dark.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
arteestx at 1:55PM, Oct. 11, 2007
(online)
Beauty and the Beast was a work of art in every way… the music was fantastic, the story was tight, and the animation was amazing (the ballroom scene where the angle for the dancing changes every frame was spot-on perfect and still takes my breath away).

Everything by Pixar has been way above average. Finding Nemo I thought was the best written of all the movies, but after seeing Ratatouille, that may be my new favorite (my one nitpick about that is that movie, although great for me, didn't work as well for kids).

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
mlai at 2:15PM, Oct. 11, 2007
(online)
Beauty & Beast was definitely awesome, but personally I remember it more for Belle than for the movie overall. That dame had class.

And, she let the villain die, LOL! It's such a cliche that a cartoon hero has to save everybody, that when she completely ignored Gaston falling to his death, I had a moment of moral shock.

usedbooks at 7:54PM, Oct. 11, 2007
(online)
Jonko
1. (Don't laugh) One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (so good…)
Can't make fun of you. I left my *true* favorites off my list completely – all of the Detective Conan movies (and then about half of the Lupin III movies in second place). But I'm such an addict, I decided to list only the other stuff. :nerd:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
jalford at 4:54AM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
A few non-Miyazaki anime movies that are also good for the holidays: Tokyo Godfathers and Millenium Actress. Batman: MOTP was really good. Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker was the best chapter of the whole BB storyline, and definately the best Joker animated chapter.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 5:49AM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
…I don't think anyone's said Fire and Ice…? I'll pick that one ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Jonko at 7:38AM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
usedbooks
Can't make fun of you. I left my *true* favorites off my list completely – all of the Detective Conan movies (and then about half of the Lupin III movies in second place). But I'm such an addict, I decided to list only the other stuff. :nerd:

Lupin III is the best!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Hawk at 3:17PM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
The Incredibles is my favorite movie, but it's hard to not mention runner-ups. I would include Lion King and Metropolis in that group.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
SarahN at 3:24PM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
…I don't think anyone's said Fire and Ice…? I'll pick that one ^_^
Whoa…my dad used to have that movie a long time ago. O_o I never got around to watching it though.

Another random animated movie to name…..Watership Down. (70's version.) That thing was so trippy. XD Bunnies….EVIL BUNNNNIIEESSS!
subcultured at 4:15PM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
sarah: it's based on frazetta's paintings
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
TheMidge28 at 4:56PM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
Does anybody remember the old Ralph Bakshi animated The Lord of The Rings…started great than rushed through the rest of the 2 books…the animation was cool as I remember it…similar to the realism animation in Fire and Ice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:22PM
mlai at 5:08PM, Oct. 12, 2007
(online)
I managed to catch fragments of The Hobbit and The Return of the King when I was little. I don't think I blinked. Or closed my jaw.

Then my Dad turned off the TV and told me to eat dinner. And didn't allow me to eat fast. I think he made me sit there until he finished.

I remember this anime TV series, really old, about a group of mice traveling to a promised land. They went sea, inside a ramshackle miniature submarine that they built (it might even have been yellow). Hot on their tails are a band of otters hungry for rodent meat, led by one creepy red-eyed albino otter.

It was awesome. Maybe Isukun would know what it was.

Beaums at 12:33PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
The BEST animated movies I have ever seen? How about my favorite animated movies? Because those movies would have to include "Akira“, ”The Nightmare Before Christmas", anything by Pixar, "Spirited Away“, ”Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within“, ”Grave of the Fireflies“ and all the short films of ”The Animatrix".

Yeah… I think that list can serve as adequate…

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
Tantz Aerine at 2:03PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
Hmmm.

I would have to name at least:

Mulan
Beauty and the Beast
Robin Hood (that fox was great!)
Titan A.E.
Spirited Away
and
Lord of the Rings (the 1980s feature. It wasn't great, but it did capture some elements I loved in Tolkien, and I loved the song at Prancing Pony)

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
DAJB at 3:01PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
TheMidge28
Does anybody remember the old Ralph Bakshi animated The Lord of The Rings…started great than rushed through the rest of the 2 books…the animation was cool as I remember it…similar to the realism animation in Fire and Ice.
Yup - I've always found it more interesting than enjoyable, though.

The cutesy, cutesy hobbits always seemed like sub-Disney dwarfs to me. Then the over-painted Black Riders appeared and took my breath away. I'd never seen anything quite like them. And then, just as I began to think it might get good, Bakshi went on to use the “painted over” technique for pretty much everything to save time (and presumably money). At that point, I just thought, why call it animation? It's just a low-budget movie with a single (over-used) special effect.

Anyway, on the plus side, it really lowered my expectations for any future LotR movies so, when I saw Peter Jackson's Fellowship, I was overwhelmed!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
mlai at 3:29PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
Poor Bakshi ran out of budget which was why he had to go to rotoscoping. Plus he obviously didn't plan on a trilogy which meant the movie abruptly ended. So stupid…

But The Hobbit and The Return of the King were all animation and zero rotoscoping. I wish I was able to see them when I was a child, but like I said before me pappy took that away from me. I watched all of the Bakshi LOTR animations much much later, but of course it just wasn't the same.

I might have been an even better artist.

crazyninny at 6:39PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
I just got done watching ‘The Cat Returns’, and I thought that was a great movie!

Oh! I forgot about the Animatirx! That was such a great collection of stories!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved