Media Megaforum

The best TV themes.
ozoneocean at 2:51AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
Woo yeah, TV themes! Woo…

I know these days there is a frightening amount of people who listen to anime themes instead of ordinary pop music… But this isn't strictly about anime themes. If you like them though, that's cool.

I just wanted to share some of my fave TV themes (from when I still watched TV). Let's see, here are a few:
-Dr Who
(ALL time fave! The orignal one though, not the current one-whatever that is :P
It's early pioneering Electronic music by Delia Derbyshire from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.)
-Monkey Magic
(This was a Japanese TV show from the late 70's/early 80's that was dubbed into English, the the Japanese American band Godiego did the English and the Japanese versions of all the show's music, apart from where the vocals were done by the lead actor. My THREE fave themes from the show are the opening music "Monkey Magic“, the closing music from the second Season ”Holy and Bright“, and the fight scene music ”Havoc in Heaven")
-Van Der Valk
(this was an English police show, set in the Netherlands. The theme is classical and it's great fun)
-Rush
(A black and white Australian TV drama set during the Gold rush in the 1800's here, the music is classical and it's Awesome.)
-The A-team
(It's just good fun)
-Miami Vice
(Jan Hammer's brilliant totally electronic orchestration is almost as good as Dr Who, it REALLY evokes the themes of the show.)
-Minder
(I love Denis Waterman singing that… David Walliams can go screw himself, that's a damn good song)
-The Avengers
(James bond style, but 5 times better)
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
(Simply beautiful and Awe-inspiring! I think it's Paul “Wix” Wickens re-imagining of Journey Of The Sorcerer by The Eagles. Listening to the Radio series it was always my fave part of the show… I LOVED the show, but the theme even more so!)

-And an honourable mention for Howard Goodall's Red Dwarf themes which I used to like… before I got sick to death of them.

And some anime…
Well you can't go past Yoko Kano (whoever that is?), whatever that name is attached to seems to be fantastic for some reason.
-The themes for Cowboy Beebop were all classics.
-Ghost in the Shell 1st and 2nd gig both had amazing opening themes.
etc…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
AQua_ng at 4:09AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
I remember the Monkey Magic one! That was classic.

I have to say my favourites are from the shows of:

Pokemon (that first one)
Transformers (G1)
The A-Team
Arthur
Scrubs
Stargate SG-1

I have to admit, anime themes are my guilty pleasures. In particular I like ‘Hare Hare Yukai’ and Lucky Star's ‘Motteke Sailor Fuku’.

Oh, and don't forgot those old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
Terminal at 6:25AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
There's one theme I adore from an old cancelled show from not long ago. The show was the horrid NBC airport drama, LAX. The theme consisted of Electric Light Orchestra's “Mr. Blue Sky” condenced into 30 seconds. I adored Boogiepop Phantom's rasp-pop theme compared to the rest of the music in that electronic filled show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
Mr Chappers at 6:41AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
I really like the house one, Dr.Who (new and old) and Scrubs

But my favorite, is the one for the ‘Metapocalypse’(sp?) Its deathklok.

Read the Author, its good i promise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Runosonta at 6:41AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
(Simply beautiful and Awe-inspiring! I think it's Paul “Wix” Wickens re-imagining of Journey Of The Sorcerer by The Eagles. Listening to the Radio series it was always my fave part of the show… I LOVED the show, but the theme even more so!)

Mr Chappers
But my favorite, is the one for the ‘Metapocalypse’(sp?) Its deathklok.

MI5
McGyver
Star Gate
ST:TNG
Hellsing
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note 2nd opening

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
Sysli at 1:09PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
I go complety offline due to joy when I hear the theme to Twin Peaks and X-Files. I feel like I grew up with those two themes and I love them dearly. I can barely remember anything about them to tell the truth, but when I hear them I know it.

But besides them I don't think there's any themes I payed that much attention to.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
spambot at 4:27PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(offline)
Looks like most of the ones I like have been mentioned:

A-Team
Doctor Who
Red Dwarf
One Piece (Japanese version. The English “rap” version is horrible)
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Shamploo
Extras (end theme)
The Office (both versions)
Firefly
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (The Joel version from Seasons 2-5)

And I'm also a fan of the music Kris Straub does for various podcasts and PvP: The Series

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
MrRiot at 5:16PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
Twin Peaks
The A-Team
Bionic Six (Wooo-ooo, ooo-oooooooo)
M.A.S.K (MASK! It's the mighty power that can save the daaayyyyyy)
MST3K Love Theme
Get Smart
The Twilight Zone (Original…not the lame remakes)

and, yes…
Sponegbob Squarepants

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
Bekefel at 7:28PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(offline)
Anime wise, am I wrong in remembering that Gundam Wing and Ghost In The Shell both had decent themes?

Anyway, for real:

Red Dwarf
The A-Team
Doctor Who

Can't think of anything else right now.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
PokeMitch at 8:02PM, Aug. 4, 2007
(offline)
Pokemon (first season)
Futurama
Simpsons
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
fern at 8:31PM, Aug. 4, 2007
(online)
spambot
Extras (end theme)

Yes! Now I have to download it! Other than that, it's your usual:

Scrubs
The Jetsons
Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing
X
Fullmetal Alchemist (all 794873498789 themes)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
jgib99 at 9:40PM, Aug. 5, 2007
(online)
The A-Team
The Equalizer
The Munsters
Tales from the Crypt
Barney Miller
Karen's Edge- The beginning of the wildest road trip ever!!
How Unfortunate- Coming back in mid-July!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
SpANG at 10:45AM, Aug. 6, 2007
(online)
Here are some corny ones, but they were magical to me when I was a kid. ;)

Cool Cop Intros:

Probably my all time Fav:

I'd better stop now…..

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
MrRiot at 4:38PM, Aug. 6, 2007
(online)
Holy crap, SpANG…did you really break out AIRWOLF?! No one ever believes me that that show existed!

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
FanGurlZ at 9:32AM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
Inspector Gadget
Buffy the Vampire slayer
Nip/Tuck
Tenchi
Danny Phantom
Homophobia: The irrational fear that gays will break in and re-arrange your furniture against your will.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Mak at 6:30PM, Aug. 17, 2007
(offline)
Airwolf
Knight Rider
X-files
A-team
MASH
I'm a ex-DAT, which means all ya'll are crunchies, and I swing a mean hammer.

Rule 37 should be made rule 1

The civilized would should be ashamed, what good is power if you do not stop things like Darfur??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
SpANG at 8:11PM, Aug. 17, 2007
(online)
MrRiot
Holy crap, SpANG…did you really break out AIRWOLF?! No one ever believes me that that show existed!

I Loooved that show. And that theme is kick ass! :D
Lonnehart at 10:51PM, Aug. 17, 2007
(online)
MrRiot

I loved that show. I'm kinda sad about the chopper they used in it. From what I read it was converted back into a rescue chopper after the show's end and got crashed someplace.

I kinda miss the “Wonder Woman” theme myself… Y'know, the one starring Linda Carter? :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Neilsama at 2:01AM, Aug. 18, 2007
(online)
Once upon a time, before the days of Ren and Stimpy, Nickelodeon would show weird and obscure cartoon shows from all over the world. Mostly mistaken for anime, I believe a lot of it actually came from Eastern Europe. Among these was a show that had my all-time favorite TV theme, The Mysterious Cities of Gold!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
AQua_ng at 2:56AM, Aug. 18, 2007
(online)
Futurama's opening sequence always had the same music except in season four where in two episodes, they had a beat-box intro done mostly by John Di Maggio & some by Billy West.

These two are from “Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV” and “Spanish Fry”. I hope when it comes on the air in 2008, they'll try this again.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
ozoneocean at 4:14AM, Aug. 18, 2007
(online)
Neilsama
The Mysterious Cities of Gold!
Yeah, I loved that one too. I think it was probably a French or Canadian joint production with a Japanese TV company…? The Canadians and French have made some truly BRILLIANT little cartoons over the years, often in partnership with the Japanese. Much less vapid than your Usual Cartoon Network or Nick dross… Those are sort of like sugar coated, coloured, kid's cereal snacks and the French whatever cartoons are more like delicious full breakfasts. :)

The Monkey Magic theme pawns Airwolf dead!

You have to sit through the story setup first. “In the worlds before Monkey, Primal Chaos reigned. Heaven sought order, but the phoenix can fly only when it's feathers are grown…”
But the little skerric of music they DO have is Awesome! Especially with those visuals.

Speaking of visuals, I loved the start of the Drew Carey show when they'd do the dance routine, the song was cool, but with all the dancing it was just lovely! -the “Cleveland Rocks” one however, sucked. The good one came before that I think… It went something like “I get up ever morning…” Can't recall the rest.

Neilsama at 4:41AM, Aug. 18, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Yeah, I loved that too. I think it was probably a French or Canadian joint production with a Japanese TV company…?
I didn't realize that a Japanese studio was involved, but I looked it up a moment ago, and that is indeed the case. Actually, if what I'm reading is correct, it's actually a joint French/Japanese production which was later dubbed by a Canadian studio.

Still, that show was GREAT! That really needs to be on DVD. There are lots of lost treasures like that that haven't been seen stateside in YEARS… nay… DECADES!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
Mak at 6:02AM, Aug. 18, 2007
(offline)
Lonnehart
MrRiot

I loved that show. I'm kinda sad about the chopper they used in it. From what I read it was converted back into a rescue chopper after the show's end and got crashed someplace.

I kinda miss the “Wonder Woman” theme myself… Y'know, the one starring Linda Carter? :)

Wow, what a great idea, a jet powered rescue helicopter. That would let them get to crash scenes much faster. I wonder if they converted the missile launchers to shoot rescue supplies or something cool like that.?

Oh, I forgot I love the themes from Naruto.

btw Linda Carter is still Sexy.
I'm a ex-DAT, which means all ya'll are crunchies, and I swing a mean hammer.

Rule 37 should be made rule 1

The civilized would should be ashamed, what good is power if you do not stop things like Darfur??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
ozoneocean at 4:21PM, Aug. 18, 2007
(online)
Ah… I'm just remembering now how cool Airwolf was. That was a great show in its heyday. Too bad they bought it back later for a crappy revival series… The early shows rocked.
Neilsama
Still, that show was GREAT! That really needs to be on DVD. There are lots of lost treasures like that that haven't been seen stateside in YEARS… nay… DECADES!
Yep! Mysterious Cities of Gold was a pretty groovy cartoon. I loved the big solar powered golden Condor they flew around in, and the gigantic solar powered golden ship that looked a bit like the Yamato :)

Tantz Aerine at 5:56PM, Aug. 20, 2007
(online)
Hmmm…

MacGyver
Monk
Bewitched
The Benny Hill Show
Pink Panther (owns)
X-Files
Knight Rider
Samurai Champloo

…I'll add more as I recall them :p

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
dueeast at 6:24PM, Aug. 20, 2007
(online)
My favorite 70s show…The Incredible Hulk!

My second favorite 70s show (but would I watch it now? Hmmmmm!)…
Wonder Woman! Hop, Lynda! Hop Like You Just Don't Care!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Lonnehart at 5:59PM, Aug. 22, 2007
(online)
The nice thing about Wonder Woman's transformation is that she doesn't have to do some intricate dance while losing all her clothes to change into her costume (unlike some of todays superheroines…)

Isn't that the opening for the second season of the show?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
poinko at 9:57AM, Aug. 23, 2007
(online)
I am both shocked and appalled that no one has mentioned The Odd Couple yet. That right there is one o them CLASSIC tv themes, right up there with Andy Griffith, The Munsters and The Addams Family.

…well, *I* think they're classic, at least.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
SpANG at 10:46AM, Aug. 23, 2007
(online)
poinko
I am both shocked and appalled that no one has mentioned The Odd Couple yet.

I was gonna mention that one, and I totally forgot! Man, is that a tune that stays with ya… ;)

dueeast
My second favorite 70s show (but would I watch it now? Hmmmmm!)…
Wonder Woman! Hop, Lynda! Hop Like You Just Don't Care!
“In her satin tights, fightin' for her rights…”

Ah, the 70's ;)

ozoneocean
-Dr Who
It's early pioneering Electronic music by Delia Derbyshire from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.)
I wonder why so many Dr. Who “pureists” have a problem with the current rendition. It's the closest to the original as they have ever gotten, plus, it has a nice orchestral finish to it now. I think it's great!
ozoneocean at 11:34AM, Aug. 23, 2007
(online)
SpANG
ozoneocean
-Dr Who
I wonder why so many Dr. Who “pureists” have a problem with the current rendition. It's the closest to the original as they have ever gotten, plus, it has a nice orchestral finish to it now. I think it's great!
I don't have a problem with it, I just don't care about it at all. :P

The clue is that it's not the original ;)
Same reason I like Cat Stevens singing “Wild World” and “Father and Son” but I don't really care about the new boy band versions. I really love “you really got me” by the Kinks but I wouldn't by a CD with Van Halen's attempt at the same song… etc. Sometimes newer versions of things are improvements, but it's rare.

And if you also grew up with the original to start with, obviously you're going to be more attached to it. But even so, in cases where I've grown up with cover versions, in a lot of cases when I finally heard the original I preferred it over the cover. -I'd say that probably indicates that the original was just so definitive and such a good performance and recording that the cover only tried to attempt to reproduce what was so great in the first place (and if it wasn't so great the cover wouldn't have been attempted or would have tried a different tack).

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved