Media Megaforum

The Butterfly Effect
Bekefel at 4:21PM, June 9, 2007
(offline)
I just watched it for the first time, and wow. That was a fucking awesome film. I'd recommend it. Anyone else see it? What did you think?

DAMN INSPIRATIONAL.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
fern at 8:50PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
McSeriously?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
marine at 10:42PM, June 9, 2007
(offline)
I also enjoyed it. The directors cut found on the dvd that I rented was the one I watched first, and I liked it a lot even with the batshit crazy baby killing ending. Then I saw the REAL ending on FX, and was also blown away. Then someone told me that there were also some slightly different endings on the other dvd and loaned me their copy of it. I gotta say, its a great one. My favorite scene is when he's the handicapable amputee and is trying to kill himself. The psychopathic guy in this reality is a born again christian and just so happens to save his life. Ironicly enough, in a previous reality, Ashon Kutcher killed him. The scene where he cries in his arms afterwards while the guy he killed tells him its all okay was brilliant. Some fine concepts were in the movie, and it wasn't really that bad. I've gotta say its my favorite Ashton Kutcher movie yet, and made me even like the poor bastard. I'm curious to see what the writers of that one come up with next, it was pretty creative for a newish movie.

If you enjoyed it, you should see 12 monkeys, a truly brilliant film that explores similar themes of the status of reality and time travel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
EvilJared at 1:18AM, June 10, 2007
(online)
it was a kick ass movie, with some kick ass scenes. i haven't seen the sequel and I'm not sure i should…

i recommend a movie called 11:14, which is also a kick ass movie.
PorQ me
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Bekefel at 6:28AM, June 10, 2007
(offline)
I have seen 12 Monkeys: Fantastic film.
Sysli at 2:04PM, June 10, 2007
(online)
Oh yes, The Butterfly Effect had some very nice ideas and raised some interesting questions. I didn't fall completely in love with it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again at some point.

As for 12 Monkeys being

marine
a truly brilliant film that explores similar themes of the status of reality and time travel.

Yes. It is a marvolous movie. I'd even say 12M deals better with the concept, but that is a personal opinion.

Right now I'm desperatly trying to remember other good movies dealing with reality-perseption and timetravel. Naked Lunch comes to mind, but it is rather odd and you shouldn't see it if weird movies doesn't appeal to you. If they do I cannot recommend it enough.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Tantz Aerine at 3:52PM, June 10, 2007
(online)
I prefer 12 monkeys too, but the Butterfly effect was also excellently done. I didn't agree too much with the general theme, but they did a great job presenting the story.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
Phantom Penguin at 6:47PM, June 10, 2007
(offline)
I'm suprised I liked The Butterfly Effect as much as I did. Its one of my favorite films.

I just love movies when there isn't really a happy ending.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
kingofsnake at 5:57AM, June 11, 2007
(online)
The Butterfly Effect 2: Electric Boogaloo
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
DetectiveFork at 2:27PM, June 11, 2007
(offline)
The director's cut ending is too melodramatic. I prefer the theatrical cut where he is faced with the past he no longer has.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Terminal at 8:22PM, June 11, 2007
(online)
Out of the many times they've shown Effect on FX. I've never seen the movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
Exzachly at 4:43PM, June 12, 2007
(online)
It's an entertaining movie, but lets not look for any meaning in it. It stars Ashton Kusher, after all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Bekefel at 8:24AM, June 13, 2007
(offline)
When you are gonna make a sarcy comment about the guy, at least get his name right.
fern at 11:05AM, June 13, 2007
(online)
After 13 comments on this movie have been made… I should probably rent it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
zirnitra at 3:20PM, June 13, 2007
(offline)
I really didn't like it all that much. It's one of those movies that I like when I see it, but later upon retrospect I wonder why I thought that. I feel like I've seen that plot before. Either way, it felt too “ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG WOT HAPPND?” for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Cthulhu at 3:33PM, June 13, 2007
(online)
I guess I'll rent the DVD, if you guys say it's that good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
mlai at 7:51AM, June 14, 2007
(online)
Butterfly Effect

Excellent movie. Worth a rental. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I don't care who Ashton Kutcher is and I don't care whose bitch he is. I just watch the story and characters and enjoy it. I felt his acting skills were appropriate.

12 Monkeys

Complete clunker. Piss poor movie. I'm glad I didn't rent it. Or I hope I didn't. Don't remember. Bruce Willis was boring. And his character was stupid. And I can't even remember the female lead now. Probably boring.

The plot was utterly predictable, even for someone like me who don't like to analyze stories as I watch. There was zero conflict. Nothing happens because the characters are too stupid. The plot was murky. Zero development. They think a cyclical ending is supposed to be smart? Avant garde? What? At the end of it, you say to yourself “WTF was all of it for? WTF did I just waste my time on?”

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Cthulhu at 9:27AM, June 14, 2007
(online)
mlai
12 Monkeys

Complete clunker. Piss poor movie. I'm glad I didn't rent it. Or I hope I didn't. Don't remember. Bruce Willis was boring. And his character was stupid. And I can't even remember the female lead now. Probably boring.

The plot was utterly predictable, even for someone like me who don't like to analyze stories as I watch. There was zero conflict. Nothing happens because the characters are too stupid. The plot was murky. Zero development. They think a cyclical ending is supposed to be smart? Avant garde? What? At the end of it, you say to yourself “WTF was all of it for? WTF did I just waste my time on?”

OK, nevermind then.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
Bekefel at 7:03PM, June 14, 2007
(offline)
12 Monkeys requires a sort of physki (Can't spell) not everyone has.

But Butterfly Effect is well worth the rental, heck if you don't like the plot there is casual nudity in places too.
Sysli at 2:19PM, June 15, 2007
(online)
You know mlai, some of us actually likes movies where we have to think and not just oogle at the screen. But good for you if you were actually able to figure everything out. All those little clues and fake clues and bits and peices. Heck, there's so many I haven't noticed them all yet and I've seen it several times. Really, you could just say you didn't like it and maybe note why (the theme bored you? You prefer movies with more action? some other reason?) and not just sayin it's “piss poor”.
Really, I wouldn't say it's predictable but I'll not go on and explaining why and possibly spoil it all for people who haven't seen it.

I'm not saying you're wrong in disliking it, but I find that the reasons you give aren't very good. We're not meant to like the same things all of us but that attack on something I like was a bit strong.

I personally think the Butterfly Effect was a bit too fast paced and would have been better if it went a bit slower, but I like movies that takes the time to deal with people discovering things. Here is a person that finds out something is up. He is confused and surprised. How does he deal with such a thing? Is it something that makes him happy? Scares him? So on and so forth. If I was in that situation (discovering something “unnatural” or world-changing) I think I'd take weeks just to come to terms with it and start carefully testing what it does.

I hope you don't see it as an attack, I'd just like you to maybe think a bit more about why you feel like you do and explain it to us better…

Exzachly at 6:54PM, June 15, 2007
(online)
Bekefel
When you are gonna make a sarcy comment about the guy, at least get his name right.

no can do, belekef
marine at 5:00AM, June 16, 2007
(offline)
mlai
12 Monkeys

The butterfly effect was good, but it was in no way excellent. It was just one of the better movies starring a younger, popular guy. It had an intesting plotline and very memorable scenes.

You've just earned a spot on my personal shit list. I mean that too.

Of the very few things that I actually like, you just had to shit all over one of my more favorite pieces of art. The story is non-linear and quite disjointed, the fragments that are shown are meant to fuck with you. Its basicly like what a film directed by myself would be. It works on a lot of levels. One person could say Bruce Willis was time traveling and trying to stop a germ from destroying the world, OR another person could say he was just as nuts as Brad Pitts character. Its got some geniunely great scenes of poetic genius. Take for instance a scene in which they enter into a slum hotel and transvestites are in the background. No one would notice that, but they're there. Or a scene in which a hamster runs in his cage. Its there, but no one cares. Terry Gilliam's a fucking genius director. Its Bruce Willis's best film by far. If you'd actually took a look around the movie while watching it (instead of just looking at it), you would notice subtle nods to his possible insanity rather than the time traveling plot you probably thought the film had. If you don't stick with it and pay close attention, you'll never get it.

You must just be fucking stupid.

You've got the opinions of an average American teenager, full of failure and stupidty, and you should look at pictures of your pregnant mother, travel back in time and give your mother an abortion, for having wasted a soul. Yours would've been better spent as fuel for the fallen angels war machine. Either that dear cocksucker, or you could never post an opinion on the internet that goes against something that I believe in strongly.

In fact, I'd have to say that Twelve Monkeys is possibly one of the ONLY things I would get into a flame war over, its that great. NOW it is an excellent film.

Back onto the topic at hand, if you really enjoy thinking mans movies, you should try out some Cronenberg films. Start with his most well known film, “The Fly”, which is a remake of an old Vincent Price film that takes it into a whole other thing. More cronenberg films to watch include, Existenz, Crash (although its more about human sexuality, also make sure you're watching the right crash movie. This one came out around 96, not the 2004 oscar winning one about racism)

Another much more Hollywood film about reality is “The Matrix” I'm sure everyone saw it, but the first one was pretty good as a sci fi action movie. It has some really cool plot twists if you can pay attention to its rambling psychobabble. The sequels and video games are best left alone though.

Another classic sci fi/action movie is “Total Recall” an Arnold film directed by another director I like, it tells a story of a guy with memory implants going on a trip to mars where he saves the day… or possibly of a man whose mind lobotamizes itself into a perpetual fantasy about him saving mars. Interesting stuff. Also if you like crazy stuff, you'll love this one. Its got mutants, midgets, and a token black guy. Not to mention Michael Ironside.

Dark City's another one. With a plot so wild, I won't dare begin to describe it.

Strange Days is a sort-of-noir story about a man who deals in videos that you plug into your head that show what that person was seeing. When he find a video of a murder, the plot thickens. A lot of crazy shit happens and has some good stuff in it as well.

They Live, a film by another favorite director of mine John Carpenter, is about a homeless drifter who discovers a pair of sunglasses that reveal a whole under layer of alien take over. Its got some cool action scenes, Roddy Pipper yelling at people, and machine guns.

I should quickly recommend more films that you've gotta at least rent, Taxi Driver, Fight Club, The Machinist, Stalker, Clay Pigeons, The Holy Mountain, Blade Runner, Screamers, A Clockwork Orange, Fahrenheit 451, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, American Psycho, and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

All of those should be seen as soon as possible. I should make a list of cool action movies everyone should see, but that is a pretty good list of “smarty pants” films to see.

also cocks
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Exzachly at 7:07AM, June 18, 2007
(online)
Existenz… is that the one where the protagonists are all playing this virtual reality game and the lines between real/fake start to blur? I've been trying to remember the name of that movie for a really long time… I think its existenz… Maybe..
Sysli at 7:19AM, June 18, 2007
(online)
Yes Exachly, that's the short version of eXistenZ's plot (and you look like you can't control your capslock when you write the title the correct way, but I think it's a wordplay. I can't remember the explanation at the moment). It has what I like to call “layers” of reality. An interesting movie and worth watching if you like some of the others mentioned here. If nothing else then at least for the most disturbing gundesign I've ever seen.

mlai at 12:12PM, June 18, 2007
(online)
Someone
You've just earned a spot on my personal shit list. I mean that too… (rant rant rant curse rant)
Ah, but you're Marine. So I actually feel absolutely nothing as you spout trash at me.

Someone
you would notice subtle nods to his possible insanity rather than the time traveling plot you probably thought the film had.
The predictable time traveling plot is EXACTLY what the film had. Every event in the movie which happened for real (in the movie), points to this film being a sci-fi film rather than a brainfuck psy film. There are no “clues” which make you wonder at the ending, because there was no room for such clues to shift the movie. I must've missed those bread crumbs which led to nowhere, but The Turning of the Screw this is not.

I've seen a lot of the following movies you mentioned, and I liked all of them. Except 12 Monkeys.

Someone
The butterfly effect was good, but it was in no way excellent. It was just one of the better movies starring a younger, popular guy. It had an intesting plotline and very memorable scenes.
That's exactly what it was.

deepcheese at 6:52PM, July 25, 2007
(online)
Butterfly effect was great, I loved it. I have not seen, and never will see the sequel, because I can tell already that it is going to suck.
I havent seen 12 monkeys in a really long while, but from what I remember, it was excellent.
Rent and watch if you haven't seen either of those movies, definate must-sees!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
joe_vee at 6:49PM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
I loved that movie too! if you liked it i would also reccomend that all of you watch
MEMENTO! Now thats an awesome sauce movie :D!
~ You Are What You Love, Not What Loves You ~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
lefarce at 7:54PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
mlai
Someone
You've just earned a spot on my personal shit list. I mean that too… (rant rant rant curse rant)
Ah, but you're Marine. So I actually feel absolutely nothing as you spout trash at me.

Someone
you would notice subtle nods to his possible insanity rather than the time traveling plot you probably thought the film had.
The predictable time traveling plot is EXACTLY what the film had. Every event in the movie which happened for real (in the movie), points to this film being a sci-fi film rather than a brainfuck psy film. There are no “clues” which make you wonder at the ending, because there was no room for such clues to shift the movie. I must've missed those bread crumbs which led to nowhere, but The Turning of the Screw this is not.

I've seen a lot of the following movies you mentioned, and I liked all of them. Except 12 Monkeys.

Someone
That's exactly what it was.

How anyone can see 12 Monkeys as shallow is beyond me. You obviously don't see films to think.

I've yet to see Butterfly Effect, mostly due to my hate for the lead actor. But if you guys say it's as good as it is, I'll go rent it. Butterfly Effect 2 looks like horse shit though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
mlai at 6:17AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
lefarce
How anyone can see 12 Monkeys as shallow is beyond me. You obviously don't see films to think.

I've yet to see Butterfly Effect, mostly due to my hate for the lead actor. But if you guys say it's as good as it is, I'll go rent it. Butterfly Effect 2 looks like horse shit though.
Oh please, you're gonna dredge this up again? Find something better to do.

Sysli at 11:37AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Nownow, stay calm mlai and lefarce. Some people like the movie, some people don't, and we'll just have to live with it. It's not even to movie we're supposed to talk about, just one that deals with a simmelar idea. mlai didn't see things in it that we did, and I'm not about to discuss the finer details of films I haven't seen the very same day.
And on that topic, it can actually be really interesting to see movies with other people and talk while seeing them. Sometimes that makes you think about things you wouldn't have any other way.

But enough of my hippie let's-all-be-friends-and-respect-each-other's-opinions talk.

And to lefarce: I'd give The Butterfly Effect a chance and would like to hear what you think when you've seen it. It has been quite a while since I happened to see it, and I didn't really expect much, so you'll most likely be able to notice some things I didn't. Same goes for the rest of you really.

And thanks for the suggestion joe_vee, I'll see if it's affordable in the future. I always complain I don't have enough Sci-Fi movies, and Memento is sorta-semi-borderline.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved