Media Megaforum

The day my childhood died.
isukun at 7:39PM, Aug. 4, 2010
(online)
That's a parody, though. It's intentionally contrary to the original which is the source of the comedy. The problem is that Hollywood isn't trying to capture the spirit of the original franchises when they go and modernize some classic cartoon or TV show from the 60's, 70's, or 80's, either.

Instead, they are trying to make a generic modern day comedy/adventure/action movie and throw in a character people recognize. Nothing about these modern reimaginings really reflects the classics. Thats why it's so insulting. People go in expecting Yogi Bear, not a cheap rehash of Furry Vengeance.

I mean it's not bad enough that they aren't coming up with any new franchises, they also can't come up with an original story, they just keep rehashing the same three or four stories in every Hollywood remake and hope the old franchises will carry them through.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
blindsk at 12:27AM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
isukun
That's a parody, though. It's intentionally contrary to the original which is the source of the comedy. The problem is that Hollywood isn't trying to capture the spirit of the original franchises when they go and modernize some classic cartoon or TV show from the 60's, 70's, or 80's, either.

Yeah, I guess my point with that was the fact that I really don't mind childhood reminiscence being trampled on in the form of parody. But what the rest of the industry is doing is just coming off as insulting. As was mentioned earlier, they're just recycling old material that isn't even directed toward the audience that would actually appreciate it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
lefarce at 12:41AM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
lothar
lefarce
Smurfs was a really bad show-
DUDE ! you did not just say that !
the Smurfs was the best show of the 80s and possibly of ALL TIME !

Have you ever watched the Smurfs because it is the polar opposite of “good”

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Product Placement at 8:45AM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
Hawk
I just gotta say, Booboo sounds pretty good but Yogi sounds TERRIBLE!
I'll admit. After watching the trailer, I will give Justin some credit for pulling off a pretty good Booboo. However, the fact that he seems to be the best cast choice after all is a bit unsettling, in my opining.
Hawk
Hollywood is hurting for ideas and too shell-shocked by the economy to take risks. That's why they're banking on ideas that seemingly can't fail because they're reinforced by nostalgia. (now, I say “seemingly” because movies like “Land of the Lost” prove that they DO fail)
Bah, I can cough out better ideas with minimum effort. I have to get into the movie business.
isukun
I mean it's not bad enough that they aren't coming up with any new franchises, they also can't come up with an original story, they just keep rehashing the same three or four stories in every Hollywood remake and hope the old franchises will carry them through.
That's a pretty good point but one must wonder, how many variations can we make of a story that people can easily follow. It's usually set up in a way where we have the introduction of the protagonist and possible antagonist. Then the protagonist is presented an obstacle that he has to overcome and in the end he might get a reward for succeeding in his quest.

That's the classic structure that most stories revolve around. People can easily identify with it. Most of the times when we travel outside it, it's still the same structure but with a twist. Then we might get something that completely abandons it but those rarely end up being popular and if someone else tries to follow the same storyline, he'll just be blasted for ripping off the original.

And of course, it's impossible to be completely original today. I'm pretty sure that every possible reaction to every possible scenario has now been cowered in great detail over at TV tropes.

But still, would it kill them to create a new character, from time to time?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
therealtj at 10:07AM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
Hawk
Hollywood is hurting for ideas and too shell-shocked by the economy to take risks. That's why they're banking on ideas that seemingly can't fail because they're reinforced by nostalgia. (now, I say “seemingly” because movies like “Land of the Lost” prove that they DO fail)
Bah, I can cough out better ideas with minimum effort. I have to get into the movie business
The issue isn't that there are no more original ideas. Look at Inception. It was original, and it was good. The issue is that movie producers are afraid to take risks. If they make a terrible movie that doesn't sell, they go under. As such they try to go with safe movies. They don't want to give new IPs a chance, because they don't know if the audience will watch it. Old IPs, however, which already have a built up fan-base are bound to do well.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
isukun at 1:15PM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
how many variations can we make of a story that people can easily follow.

That's not really the point I'm trying to make, though. Yes, every story has supposedly been told, but Hollywood focuses on a specific few for these remakes and they're usually the same handful you typically see in your most generic action or children's films.

When I saw the plot for Yogi, I immediately thought of the Brendan Fraser bomb Furry Vengeance. It's basically the same plot with two talking bears. It will have the same message and likely the same resolution. I'm sure they will also throw in some references to modern technology like cell phones, a love interest for Ranger Smith, some wacky hijinks involving an “extreme sport”, and some toilet humor like all the rest do.
Mr Kaos at 2:16PM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
*hears my inner child screaming and killing himself after hearing the news about CGI movie with Tintin*: Ffffffffffffffffff….
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 3:07PM, Aug. 5, 2010
(offline)
Bah. I never liked Yogi Bear and never will.

But killing Johnny would be torture.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
mlai at 6:18PM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
Hawk
It doesn't matter if it's something more obscure like Dinosaucers, Shirt Tales, or Zoobilee Zoo. When they're done with He-man and the Ninja Turtles, Hollywood is going to find it and destroy it
They already did a He-man, and I still like it. But then I'm a Lundgren fanboy who likes even The Punisher, and Frank Langella was just an Actor God in that movie.

Uwe Boll will no longer make his movies, so I feel my memories are safe, LOL.

Ninja Turtles survived the exploitations pretty well. I think there were 2 movies and a CG remake? The only bad one was the 2nd movie. I think the 1st movie was also responsible for introducing Hong Kong kung fu stuntsmen to the Hollywood industry and mainstream West. John Woo and Matrix probably owe something to that movie?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
isukun at 8:40PM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
Three live actions movies and the CG movie. The third live action one was worse than the second. The CG movie was alright, but definitely not as good as the first live action film. I'd love to see them reboot the series with a movie based more closely on the comics, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Turtles also got that abomination of a live action show, Ninja Turtles the Next Mutation, ugh. I think they were trying to steal some of the Power Rangers' thunder and even threw in a fifth female turtle. It only makes it worse that they then also guest starred in the next season of Power Rangers (refresh the page I linked to enough and the randomly selected banner at the top of the page will eventually change to a shot of the turtles shaking hands with the Power Rangers).

Of course now they're working on a new CG series for Nickelodeon (who seem to have purchased all rights to the franchise, now) and Michael Bay is going to be shitting on the franchise with a new live action movie in 2012.
ozoneocean at 10:38PM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
isukun
how many variations can we make of a story that people can easily follow.

1. Stupid cutesy characters get introduced. They're mischevious, “cool”, and very irritating.

2. The antagonist gets introduced. Booooo!
He's no real threat at this stage… But he could be. o_o

3. Trouble in paradice!
It all comes crashing down! Our heros face ruin and utter disaster… :(

4. Slowly clawing back… it's touch and go, but it looks like they COULD win the day if they can only try HARD enough!
No… they won't make it, they're going to fail…

5. Yaaaaaaaay! Yee-haw!
Our heros won the day! They got their girls too! The baddy is upset and frustrated! Our heros are yucking it up on easy street. Life is good now and they're earned the respect of their father/mother/older sibling/gaurdian/mentor

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
demontales at 6:05AM, Aug. 6, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
The baddy is upset and frustrated!

So much that he'll probably make sure everyone knows he's gonna have his revenger in a sequel
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Dark Pascual at 8:08AM, Aug. 6, 2010
(online)
Considering this poster:

All I can say is that:

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Mr Kaos at 8:29AM, Aug. 6, 2010
(online)
Dark Pascual
Considering this poster:

All I can say is that:

Heh.. Yogi bear looks like he is raping Boo or whatever that midget bear is called.

And how can anyone to be sure if Uwe Boll did truly stop doing movies? he still is lurking around and trying to plan a mockery of any genres.. beware he still is alive!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Dark Pascual at 8:53AM, Aug. 6, 2010
(online)
Mr Kaos
And how can anyone to be sure if Uwe Boll did truly stop doing movies? he still is lurking around and trying to plan a mockery of any genres.. beware he still is alive!

Wanna hear something funny?

Not only Dr. Boll is still making movies, apparently, his last one (Rampage) was kinda good…

One of the signs of the Mayan Apocalypse, dude… I'm telling ya…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
isukun at 10:57AM, Aug. 6, 2010
(online)
Nah, it just means with the loophole in the German tax code gone, he can't actually make money on bad movies, anymore. So now he has to actually take his job seriously inbetween suing thousands of people for copyright violation when they can't get his crappy movies any other way than Pirate Bay since they're so bad they don't get DVD releases.

So if you're going to steal a movie, just make sure it's not a Uwe Boll movie.

Uwe Boll's movies were bad, but a lot of that was likely intentional. Without the incentive to make flops, I have a feeling Michael Bay will soon take his place, raping those childhood memories we used to hold dear.
Chernobog at 1:17PM, Aug. 6, 2010
(offline)
I didn't quite get a Pedobear feeling out of that pic (Booboo's too happy looking).

More of a ‘Jellystone of the Dead: 28 Bears Later.’
“One incompetent ranger. A cartoon rifle. Whole lot of bears looking for picnic baskets in your head. Be there for the unbearing this July.”

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
mlai at 6:07PM, Aug. 6, 2010
(online)
I finally watched that Smurfs trailer…

So, they took the fact that smurfs often substitute the word “smurf” for verbs, and they only thing they can do with that in a 10 seconds trailer is:

“Our world is about to get SMURF'D.”
“SMURF happens.”

The only thing they can do is substitute “smurf” for curse words…

Question: In all your years of watching Smurfs, have you EVER seen Smurfs do that? No.

I'm surprised the trailer didn't have a shot of Smurfette poledancing. That Marxist creator of the smurfs must be rolling in his grave.

Cthulhu at 1:39AM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
I just want to know who's the guy these things are marketed toward. Who's the one guy that thinks live action/CG adaptations are good? Or even necessary? Transformers, Garfield, countless others that I'm failing to remember at 4:38 in the morning…

Seriously, how many of these things don't end up sucking?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
ozoneocean at 1:52AM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
mlai
I finally watched that Smurfs trailer…

So, they took the fact that smurfs often substitute the word “smurf” for verbs, and they only thing they can do with that in a 10 seconds trailer is:

“Our world is about to get SMURF'D.”
“SMURF happens.”

The only thing they can do is substitute “smurf” for curse words…

Question: In all your years of watching Smurfs, have you EVER seen Smurfs do that? No.

I'm surprised the trailer didn't have a shot of Smurfette poledancing. That Marxist creator of the smurfs must be rolling in his grave.
… why did they have to go and SMURF up the Smurfs? :(

Cthulhu
Seriously, how many of these things don't end up sucking?
I can't name a single one.

elektro at 7:48AM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
Dark Pascual
Considering this poster:

All I can say is that:

Nah. Looks more like vore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
ozoneocean at 9:37AM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
Those expressions…
What goes through the mind of the 3D animator or art directer that comes UP with that crap?

They aren't endearing. They don't look friendly. They don't look nice. They don't look happy.
They DO look manic. They do look insane.

Product Placement at 10:20AM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
mlai
Question: In all your years of watching Smurfs, have you EVER seen Smurfs do that?
Only when it was meant to be a parody (like that one scene in family guy).

Now that they're actually being serious about though, it only makes it that much more sad. :(
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
isukun at 3:30PM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
I didn't quite get a Pedobear feeling out of that pic (Booboo's too happy looking).

I think it's kind of a combination of the picture and the tag line.

Now i can't even look at it without it seeming really, REALLY dirty.
mlai at 8:27PM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Those expressions…
What goes through the mind of the 3D animator or art directer that comes UP with that crap?
Didn't Isukun mention something to the effect of "Many CG animators are not good/adept in traditional art and animation"?

I guess it's a more sophisticated, subtle variation of a kid who can't draw but knows how to abuse lens flares.

same at 4:14PM, Aug. 8, 2010
(online)
Is that Dan Aykroyd?
Has his forehead got bigger?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
Hawk at 8:15PM, Aug. 8, 2010
(online)
Cthulhu
I just want to know who's the guy these things are marketed toward. Who's the one guy that thinks live action/CG adaptations are good? Or even necessary? Transformers, Garfield, countless others that I'm failing to remember at 4:38 in the morning…

You know who they're targeting? It's still mainly kids who don't know better when they see a trailer that screams “box-office excrement”. But somebody has to take them there, and they're hoping the parent is nostalgic enough to drop the cash and herd the kids into the car.

mlai
Didn't Isukun mention something to the effect of “Many CG animators are not good/adept in traditional art and animation”?

I guess it's a more sophisticated, subtle variation of a kid who can't draw but knows how to abuse lens flares.

Even the least artistic CGI animators are working under the direction of an art director.

And that fact makes this poster even more sad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Amelius at 1:40PM, Aug. 9, 2010
(online)
mlai
Not in the cartoon, but it's definitely something the Smurf's creator Peyo did in the comic.
“Go to smurf, Brainy! We'll smurf what we like!” for example!

But yeah, this trailer using it is about as clever and witty as an elementary school student who thinks nobody ever thought to use “smurf” that way! Despicable!

I saw the Yogi poster on Cartoon Brew a while ago, yeah that poster is pretty hard to deny the innuendo in it. It's nefariously clever if you think about it. It has just enough wiggle room for the advertisers to act indignant and admonish people with “dirty minds” for pointing it out, yet it does this on purpose because the most cynical of us are paying attention to it. And we're reposting it and spreading the word about it. And on top of that, the next phase is that whenever it's posted on a site with significant popularity, you get a “plant” who comes in and says they find the poster appealing and the movie looks like it will be good, and that all of you should be ashamed of judging something when you haven't seen it yet! (according to one guy I got in a disagreement with, I'm being unfair for saying an Uwe Boll movie might be crap before I watch it, even if I've seen his movies before! It's unfair to prejudge based on established knowledge and track records of directors/writers and what people involved with it reveal! Open your minds and waste your money on this stuff because it's the fair thing to do! :P )
Or even still, someone will say that this poster is a sign that there will be a lot of wink-wink-nudge jokes for the adults watching it, so they should give it a chance. This poster is deliberately awful, because it works brilliantly!

Besides, I really don't think with those character designs (seriously, can they please stop giving them those glassy human eyes?) there's just absolutely no way to make a poster that's awesome for this movie. I do not believe anyone involved in making these movies actually thought it would be great, they just know it will make money. And sadly, it WILL, and Hollywood will continue to ruin your childhood because it takes no effort!

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
The Gravekeeper at 10:24AM, Aug. 11, 2010
(offline)
Your childhood has only just died? Lucky. The bits of mine connected with cartoons and whatnot have been dead for years; nowadays Hollywood and network executives are just kicking the corpse.

As for the Yogi bear movie, I stand by my belief that going CGI with this was a bad idea. The character designs were created specifically for a 2D format; to me, it doesn't look like the charm of them survived the transfer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
isukun at 10:42PM, Aug. 11, 2010
(online)
I don't think it's just the decision to use CG that makes this bad. It's the decision to use CG with live action. You have cartoony characters that you're trying to make look realistic and it really doesn't work.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved