Debate and Discussion

The End of the World
lothar at 8:52AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
i think we have about five years maybe less, until everything that we know is turned upsidedown.
i'm basing this on a number of things, and a lot of gut feeling. being a child of the 80s i've been preprogrammed for apocalyptic thought, but seriously if you look around , if you read , it's hard not to think that the world as we know it can't possibly keep going on the way it is. i'm not talking about change, i meen massive disruption of our basic ways of life !

so , my question is this - How do you imagine life will be in 10 - 15 years ? Why would it be like that ?
personally, i don't think that there will even be an internet by that time. or at least it won't be accessable to a majority of the people who are using it now. there will most likely be severe fuel and food shortages. War and climate change will make life for many peopel miserable … i'm starting to depress myself, does anybody have a positive outlook for the future ?

*i posted this in “Debate and discussion” because there is so much contraversy surounding the factors that determine what the future wil be .
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
StaceyMontgomery at 9:36AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
We are clearly racing into a postmodern infoclysm, which will, in effect, be the Human Singularity, a point beyond which we cannot imagine. Extropia Rising.

Or, possibly, there will just be more of the same. Only cell phones will be smaller than grains of pollen. I can feel my eyes starting to water already.

Oh, and Star Trek will keep getting worse.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
subcultured at 10:03AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
if you really put it into perspective{4.5 billion years of earth's life} Armageddon happens often. either from asteroid impact, volcanic gases, ice age , and etc.

so whatever.
i say enjoy it, nothing lasts forever.

mass extinction will come, and humans will be dead if they can't get off this sinking ship.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
ozoneocean at 5:40PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
subcultured
if you really put it into perspective{4.5 billion years of earth's life} Armageddon happens often. either from asteroid impact, volcanic gases, ice age , and etc.
You know, I don't think it does… I think that the “Armageddon” ways of thinking about extinction events in the past, as well as that which gave rise to Lothar's 80's born fatalism is the result of a mainly Christian American apocalyptic way of thinking… I noticed that trend years ago, but really, most of the apocalypse theories, fatalistic thought, apocalypse movies etc COME from the US. And given the strength of Christian thought in the US and all throughout the history of that country (it was “popularly” founded by Christian extremists), that's not surprising.

The overall idea seems to be that apocalypse is inevitable and part of some positive cycle of rebirth that people should actually work towards. Now Japan seems to have an apocalypse fascination too, mostly because of their constant history of natural disasters through earthquake, Tsunami, And lately the fire-bombing and the two nuclear bombs during WW2.

But really, apocalypse is simply a way of interpreting events because of a conditioned way of thinking. DO they ever really happen? Well, even with the disasters Japan has experienced in it's history none of those disasters have ever been anywhere near total, taken as an overall event in the context of history the bounce-back has always been rather quick and pretty complete. And I've read about the “mass extinction” events, not about those STUPID accounts of meteorite strikes that are so BADLY, BADLY written about but about the fossil records themselves and the times of ice ages and things and while they seem sudden in the context of geological time, in terms of what we think about time they took an eternity. What I'm saying is that the deeper you look into it, the more you realise that rather than being an inevitable fact that you have to live with, apocalypse is mostly more of a twisted aspiration driven mostly by a certain interpretation of Christian thought and as very as a bit of strange cultural conditioning from Japan that's been influenced by their unfortunate position on the Pacific rim and them losing ww2 so very badly.

Is an apocalypse inevitable? No. But if you believe in it hard enough you might help to work towards one and make it happen.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
mlai at 6:03PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
Basically, I think Ozone is saying that Apocalypse takes much longer than a single lifetime. You're not going to experience the near-end result of an Apocalypse unless you were born into it.

And if you were born into an Apocalypse, then it won't feel like an Apocalypse to you.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
dueeast at 6:09PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
StaceyMontgomery
Oh, and Star Trek will keep getting worse.

Sad but true! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
kyupol at 6:44PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
A priest told me before…

“Why are you afraid of the end of the world? You should fear the end of your life.”

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Hawk at 11:42PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
mlai
And if you were born into an Apocalypse, then it won't feel like an Apocalypse to you.

Yeah, probably to people in the past, we're in the Apocalypse right now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Lord Shplane at 12:54AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
It's highly unlikely that the apocalypse will come any time soon. There aren't any MAJOR wars going on (As much as people like to pretend the war in Iraq is, it's not really that important overall), it is possible to knock any large objects that are flying towards the planet, it would take an ENORMOUS volcanic eruption to cause any major problems, and that almost never happens, and despite what everyone seems to think, there probably aren't enough nuclear bombs in existance to cause any worldwide problems.

So unless God swoops down and says “Fuck you Earth, it's apocalypse time!”, we're probably fine. The only reason it might feel like the apocalypse is that it ALWAYS does, no matter what time period you happen to be in. Ancient Christians thought the world was going to end just a few years after Jesus died. The Norse probably sat around saying “Damn, I sure hope those gods and giants don't start up Ragnarok any time soon!”

Really, everyone just needs to calm down. Nothing particularly bad is likely to happen any time soon. It might, but it probably won't.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:41PM
StaceyMontgomery at 7:05AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)

What a terribly odd thought. I can't see why I should be more afraid to die than I was to be born.

Whereas the end of the world - that's scary. As a human being, I expect that humanity will live on after me. That is, I was born mortal - i wasn't expecting to last. But everyone else? i want them to continue.

Like Marley told Scrooge - Mankind is our business.

It's our job to save the world - every day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
lothar at 7:22AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
StaceyMontgomery
It's our job to save the world - every day.
i like that ! almost as much as i like windmills.
my fatalism seems to come and go, mostly driven by what i read in the news. but i was looking at a childrens picture book about ships of the British empire the other day and i was struck by how barbaric those poples lives were back then. how on Earth they could get people to do that kind of stuff, it looks crazy. so maybe we're not devolving, maybe we're just moving very slowly , much slower than other species like bees and moths.

but i still can't exept the old excuse that things are better now than they were a century ago, when things are much worse than people a century ago thought they would be by now !!!
kyupol at 7:24AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
As far as the end of the world is concerned…

In world politics, the USA hegemony is actually not gonna be complete. Because Russia and China are allied… and these two countries are courting countries that USA considers an ‘enemy’.

Notice how Russia has supplied Iran with AA (anti-air) systems and other types of weapons? Communism and Islam are not compatible… but Russia is doing this to help stop the USA influence.

And look how China is still careful not to piss off North Korea. China's communism is DIFFERENT from North Korea's “Juche Idea”. If you read dailynk.com, there were a few articles pointing to sometimes strained relations between China and NK. Why is China still friendly to NK? Because China doesnt want NK to fall… because if it does, USA will be at its doorstep. And if war breaks out in Taiwan for instance, USA can hit Chinese targets from North Korea.

To maintain world peace, there must be a balance of power.

If that power balance is broken, war will break out.

The world IS always a tense place… on the brink of war.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
lothar at 7:53AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
i think war will break out in Taiwan soon .
and now China is pissed off because Taiwan wants their UN seat name changed , and after Iraq the US is in no position to protect them for any duration.

mapaghimagsik at 9:33AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
I think we have hard decisions ahead of us, but “the end of the world?” Not so much. Humanity has this way of eeking on, even if we're back to a stage of waving sticks at monoliths.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
bobhhh at 10:33AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
I think all this talk of the end of the world is very important only to us.The world will survive just about anything but a cosmic cataclysm.

I think what many people here are referring to is the end of humanity. And that has been a long road with many sign posts. In much the same way as we beging to slowly die at our conception, humanity has been slowly laying the seeds for its own demise. Aside from the aforementioned cosmic disaster, or the accidental nuclear extermination of the planet, we seem hell bent on methodically poisoning our environment and alienating each other.

One of my favorite rueful chuckles came strangely enough during the Clinton impeachment. reporters would stop people on the street and ask them what there feelings were on the sex scandall, and if it was impeachable.

Almost without fail some automaton who probably never read anything more challenging than TV Guide would eloquently posit the talking point“It's not the sex, it's subbornation of perjury.” Hey Goober, well argued!!

Here I feel is the proof of what DEVO was saying. Freedom is a pain in the ass, it requires too much thinking and responsibility. We want politicians and TV shows to do our thinking for us. It's the reason why healthy girls and women starve themselves to look like teenage boys with breasts implants. Because the TV said so. That's why so many countries exert control over the media. We want someone to tell us what to do. Free will is the first thing to whither in the human condition. We are rotting from the inside out, and that is more likely to bring about the end of humanity then a meteor or global warming.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
dueeast at 10:46AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
bobhhh
We want politicians and TV shows to do our thinking for us. It's the reason why healthy girls and women starve themselves to look like teenage boys with breasts implants. Because the TV said so. That's why so many countries exert control over the media. We want someone to tell us what to do. Free will is the first thing to whither in the human condition. We are rotting from the inside out, and that is more likely to bring about the end of humanity then a meteor or global warming.

The sentiment behind this I agree with. Humankind sans some serious reality checks is more likely to continue inward self-destruction. Yes, humankind can affect the planet temporarily in various ways but the planet itself has proven it can re-generate over time. Self-destruction, though reversible (unless successful in a suicide) does much more damage because so many individuals are engaging in it at the same time, affecting countless others around them, and it's damage is much harder to pinpoint, deal with and reverse.

Although I mildly disagree that free will withers. I think it is free will on steroids that leads to poor choices – including choosing to go with trends, self-isolation, violence against self and others, destructive substance abuse, etc.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
bobhhh at 10:58AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Yes I suppose technically it is free will to give up your free will, but I think it depends on how you define it.

I define free will as a concept as th desire and ability to choose things without surrendering to popular will as a substitute for the hard work of independant creative thinking.
Poke Alster at 11:34AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
You're all mad, because people tell you stuff you believe them
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
bobhhh at 12:23PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Poke Alster
Actually I'm mad because these days when people tell me stuff, I feel I have to automatically not believe them merely for purposes of self preservation.

Actually I'm not really mad.

:P
Priest_Revan at 12:33PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
In 10-15 years from now, I will be way too ignorant to worry about the end of the world or my own life. Don't want to be like the crazy people and worry too much.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
JustNoPoint at 2:09PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
Don't worry. The world can't end if we sue.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20823832/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Atom Apple at 2:45PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:04AM
Cthulhu at 3:35PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
You crazies.

The world will end on December 21st, 2012.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:58AM
freefall_drift at 12:18PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
Back to the spirit of the original post, I'm a gloomy pessimist about the future of America. I don't have a unified theme to this, just points of paranoia and gloom.

I don't think my son's life will be better than mine. But I see everything through lens of the economy. If present trends continue, I cannot see how the US economy and the US way of life will thrive. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the corporations will continue to expand and control to become something out of a cyberpunk story. (Notice how that genre has peaked and faded?) At some point, the networking of computers is going to reach a critical mass and some powerful corp or government faction is going to exploiting the data mining of social networks and other sources and really start blackmailing and controlling society. What if your employer could find every post you ever made and check it for improper ideas. What if your next raise was denied because of something you posted 3 years ago that didn't match the pro government stance of your employer. A couple of high profile firings like that with the pro authority courts saying it was OK, and it would change society. How chilling would that be to free speech? The McCarthy witch hunts on Steroids. Especially if we are in Depression, and jobs are scarce.

I think that America is going to freak when oil prices go through the roof. We have had the golden society, living fat dumb and happy for so long, coasting. I think the masses will vote for any dictator that will keep their Walmart stuff cheap. We don't have the social will to pay more to keep middle class jobs in America. The masses want the cheapest prices at any cost. It will take a great depression to bring back the idea of shared sacrifice, if ever.

I can see the US collapsing like the USSR, brought on the the crippling debt of the NeoCon agenda, destroying the “Great Society”. I see America going the way of a third world Central American country, with the Ultra Rich in walled compounds controlling all government and corporations and the extreme poor is everyone else, poor, uneducated and helpless. And no middle ground or middle class.

I see the American dollar being worth little and being dropped as a standard. Inflation like Argentina maybe?

This will be China's Century and we will be a faded state like Britain, France and the USSR. We don't manufacture anything. We are losing the infrastructure, even if we wanted to go back. China holds our debt and makes our stuff. They own us and we don't want to admit it. Taiwan is in big trouble. When China flexes it's muscles, we won't have any resources left to stop them.

I think America could become very dangerous as we lash out, trying to maintain our standard of living, while being broke. Like a starving animal.

With the collapse of the US social support networks, a powerful plague will come through, decimating the population, because we don't have the resources to stop it.
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
subcultured at 8:58PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
the world will end on 12/12/12
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
legendkiller13 at 9:21PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
in all seriousness, but saving times, i think we heading towards a mad max type of world. not an end per se, but it sure as hell might feel like it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
lothar at 4:10AM, Sept. 22, 2007
(online)
subcultured
the world will end on 12/12/12

12/21/12
marine at 1:55PM, Sept. 22, 2007
(offline)
We can only hope the end comes then Lothar.

Personally, if it doesn't or does, I'll be eating canned meat rations and dry foods and playing xbox from my bomb shelter either way. And unlike people from the Twilight Zone or similar stories, I could give a shit less about other people who used to be my friends and family. They're now just genetic vampires and its up to Will Smith to fight them off in I AM LEGEND, coming to theaters this Christmas!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
marine at 2:03PM, Sept. 22, 2007
(offline)
Poke Alster

You're right. I believe you when you tell me that I just believe when people tell me things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 4:50PM, Sept. 22, 2007
(offline)
let's see… civilization as we know it will crumble. we will all die after awhile from lack of food and water, disease, and basically killed by wild animals. because there are no humans factories, chemicals, and green house gases will deminish. we will go into another massive Ice Age. this will cause an oxygen build-up. some animals will survive all this and one out of a billion different species will become intelligent and will roam the earth as the ruling animal. they will develop things beyond what anyone can think of. then another bout of global warming will com along and hisory will repeat itself OR they will live on until the ends of this planet OR until the sun dies.

Either that or the world ends up like mars and we all die.

we can only guess.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved