Media Megaforum

The Eurovision Song Contest.
Product Placement at 2:28AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
I understand if the Americans have never heard of this but every year, us Europeans gather around for a contest where we see which country can make a bigger ass out of itself and try to make a catchy song. Many will fail horrendously others will rise to the occasion and make a song that is actually likable. The competition works like this: It's televised across all of Europe and people watching can participate in a phone election. Alas, you can't vote for your country. The top ten countries will receive points ranging from 1 to 12. Top three countries will get 8, 10 and 12 points. Once all the countries are done voting and all the points have been counted the winning nation will get 15 minutes of fame and will then be forced to host the competition next year.

Anyways. The preliminaries are being held tonight on the 12th and the 14th while the main competition is scheduled on the 16th. Thus there's going to be allot of singing in the Old World as we play with our favorite tune.

So for anyone who care what is your favorite song? Who do think is most likely to win? If applicable, what is the contribution of your country and what do you think of if?

Here's a quick recap of all the songs that will attend the preliminaries.

Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Product Placement at 2:38AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
Here's my two cents.

This is my country.

My country has never won the contest. We once got all the way to the second place (so close :( ). Every once in a while we make a song I actually don't hate and this is one of them. I think we will do well in this competition but I don't think we'll win.

This is Finland. I like their song allot but mostly it's because of their video. When looking at their stage performance it's not nearly as catchy. Shame.

And this is Norway. Most people where live think this country will win the competition. I'm still sitting on the fence on it but I'm leaning towards agreeing that they have a chance.

I notice that I'm giving only good chances to Scandinavian countries. It's true that you end up being biased towards your neighbor. That fact has been incredibly true regarding Eastern Europe but we've been noticing that they've been sticking together when it comes to the election and thus the countries on that side have been winning allot lately.

It's allot like a talent show and a popularity contest rolled into one.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 4:20AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
Iceland is generic and pseudo American, but good quality. It has so stand out interest.

Finland is a boring fake American dance song. I imagine it'd be great to dance to!
As a listener though the appeal is limited… Unless you have a mental condition like all the kids claim these days… ADD or whatever.

Norway had that dance folk pop thing going on. It'd be better with a real performer and not a kid straight out of talent school. listening to some 18 year old sing “years ago, when I was younger” is always f*cking hilarious.
I can imagine his training: "Come on boy, BIG SMILE! Remember to smile for mama"! lol!
I imagine teen girls and grandmothers would love that one.

I think I like:

Belarus- Nice retro rock there. Fellow knows what he's doing and has a “genuine” voice.

Sweden has a big sound. They do it well.

Portugal is nicely regional and and interesting. The performer is talented without being a talent-school manikin.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Product Placement at 4:25AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
listening to some 18 year old sing “years ago, when I was younger” is always f*cking hilarious.
Well…. he could be talking about his kindergarten love.

Also, since this is a phone election related competition, these kinds of songs do well. You're trying to win over the average viewer audience. Distracting them with fancy synchronized choreographic, big ass smile and implants works wonders for some.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Dark Pascual at 5:19PM, May 12, 2009
(online)
Iv seen a few of the Eurovision Contest…

Not my kind of thing musically speaking, but it always interesting…

However, I marked out big time when these guys won…

Still Gwar is cooler…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
HippieVan at 6:11PM, May 13, 2009
(online)
Oh geez, these are all horrible! Is there a rule that they have to be bouncy, totally generic-sounding, overprocessed pop songs?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Product Placement at 6:31PM, May 13, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
Oh geez, these are all horrible! Is there a rule that they have to be bouncy, totally generic-sounding, overprocessed pop songs?
You're giving the average viewer too much credit. Overprocessed pop songs are the ones that make it in this competition. Like I said, this competition is controlled by who get's the most amount of votes via phone election.

Normally you're lucky if you'll find 2-3 decent songs each year.

I mean, can you believe that this is actually the Czech Republic contribution? Why the hell did people vote this one in?

Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Eddie Jensen at 1:29PM, May 16, 2009
(online)
Speaking as a Norwegian I hope Rybak Burns in hell the fiddles awesome but those lyrics are TERRIBLE. also that songs been on every norwegians mind for MONTHS…. Also he's 24 not 18. And I belive he's singing about his highschool sweetheart, she's married now. it was in the news… really it was.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
DAJB at 2:44AM, May 17, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Norway had that dance folk pop thing going on. It'd be better with a real performer and not a kid straight out of talent school. listening to some 18 year old sing “years ago, when I was younger” is always f*cking hilarious.
I can imagine his training: "Come on boy, BIG SMILE! Remember to smile for mama"! lol!
I imagine teen girls and grandmothers would love that one.
Well, now we know who bothers to vote in these damn things!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ozoneocean at 7:01AM, May 17, 2009
(online)
Well congrats to Norway.

Sometimes the contest actually produces some good stuff, it's rare, but it happens. I liked the one from Poland a few years ago by Blue Cafe…Love Song.

The chorus is pretty lame and it has some really generic fake “Latino” stuff in there, but I love that woman's voice. Plus, she's really cute :)

They've done other stuff too, so they're not one of those crap “talent” groups just made up for the contest…

…Hmm, listening to their other stuff they're way too pop for me. I like the brass instruments and she's got a good voice but the music doesn't stand out very much.

Product Placement at 8:49AM, May 17, 2009
(online)
Hah. I knew Norway would win… but wow that was such an overwhelming victory. They broke the record as the country to receive the most amount of points and country to receive the most amount of 12s. The old record was 9. 12s and somewhere around 290 points and they went way beyond that.

Hurray for second place. :P
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 9:30AM, May 17, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
They broke the record
That doesn't speak well for the taste of most people in Europe… But congrats to them anyway!

Congrats on second place too! :)

Product Placement at 11:44AM, May 17, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Product Placement
They broke the record
That doesn't speak well for the taste of most people in Europe… But congrats to them anyway!

Congrats on second place too! :)

Well… maybe their victory was so overwhelming because everyone thought that the other songs sucked so horrendously, making this one sound so great in comparison.

Eurovision is funny that way. Every country participating is trying so hard to make the next big hit that will make them win the competition. Instead of having an artist make something that's good, they try to anticipate what everyone likes and then create a melody and text that incorporates that idea. They do so by using public polls telling them what's “in”. They look at songs from the previous competition that did well and try imitate it without committing blatant plagiarism. They hold local competitions where people tend to win based on how popular the singer is instead of how good the song may be. This form of selloutism can create some really revolting crap, thinly disguised with fancy choreographs and expensive looking dresses and props. Only selected few can manage to produce a jingle that appeals to the majority and thus wins the race.

2008 Winner

2007 Winner

2004 Winner

2000 Winner lol!
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Eddie Jensen at 12:53PM, May 20, 2009
(online)
I rather hate Fairytale but it's like he said they try to create what people want pop things up, Rybak in general is really quite decent:

if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved