Media Megaforum

The Eye - More Asian horror remake crap.
SarahN at 8:39PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(online)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406759/

Oh for crying out freakin' loud.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Ziffy88 at 9:25PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(offline)
Wow that sounds like a great idea…okay maybe not~
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Hawk at 9:27PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(online)
Hmmmm… reminds me of that one show where a guy gets an eye transplant from a serial killer, and then he ends up seeing all sorts of murders. Was that Twilight Zone?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
phantasmagraph at 4:00PM, Jan. 6, 2008
(offline)
the original was wonderfully creepy.

The Ring was great, arguably better or at least on equal footing with Ringu, but i'm so sick of these PG-13 Asian-horror remakes i could scream. There's remaking a film because the director wants to throw his own perspective on a story, then there's remaking a film because the producer thinks that American teenagers think that all Asians look the same.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
mlai at 5:43PM, Jan. 6, 2008
(online)
Someone
then there's remaking a film because the producer thinks that American teenagers think that all Asians look the same.
Whuh? What's that got to do with anything?
American producers are going after the Asian horror movies because the American horror writers are currently dried up. So the producers are tapping a previously unmined and ready resource for ideas and angles new to the USA.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
phantasmagraph at 9:53PM, Jan. 6, 2008
(offline)
This is off-topic, but does this ever happen to anyone else: You post your opinion on a forum, you come back several hours later to find that someone disagrees and you just don't care enough anymore to defend your original opinion. I mean you have an arguement, but just lack the motivation to type it all out.

Well, here it is anyway:

Someone
Whuh? What's that got to do with anything?
American producers are going after the Asian horror movies because the American horror writers are currently dried up. So the producers are tapping a previously unmined and ready resource for ideas and angles new to the USA.

i don't think writers are dried up (unless you mean the current strike, but that's pretty recent. The asian-horror craze started years before the strike.) I'm saying that movie execs, probably based on demographic studies, feel that they just can't import a movie from Asia, but they have to Americanize it or we won't be able to relate to it.

Look at what they did to Godzilla. First they cut out most of major subplot involving a morally-conflicted Japanese scientist and replace it with the American Raymond Burr, to do what? Stand there and comment on what Godzilla is doing? Completely superfluous. 50 years later they make a completely soulless remake taking place in New York.

At least The Grudge actually took place in its country of origin, but then there's the whole issue of all these movies being cut for preteen audiences, which isn't isolated to Asian remakes.

I apology if i screwed up with Quote thingy.
Custard Trout at 1:14PM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
phantasmagraph
Look at what they did to Godzilla. First they cut out most of major subplot involving a morally-conflicted Japanese scientist and replace it with the American Raymond Burr, to do what? Stand there and comment on what Godzilla is doing? Completely superfluous. 50 years later they make a completely soulless remake taking place in New York.

Godzilla has a plot? No one watches it to see the exploits of Science Man, Man of Science. They watch it to see a big lizard smash shit.

- - -

Why is everyone here getting pissed off about America remaking an Asian film anyway? They're all the bloody same: small child-ghost terrorises young woman by appearing at random and making strange noises.

Next, the terrifying The Table, an Asian horror about a young girl who has visions of a child who died on her kitchen table. Ignore the fact that nothing actually happens at all, that's just means it ‘atmospheric’.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
SarahN at 7:36PM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
Why is everyone here getting pissed off about America remaking an Asian film anyway? They're all the bloody same: small child-ghost terrorises young woman by appearing at random and making strange noises.

Next, the terrifying The Table, an Asian horror about a young girl who has visions of a child who died on her kitchen table. Ignore the fact that nothing actually happens at all, that's just means it ‘atmospheric’.

Actually part of the reason it pisses me off so much is BECAUSE it's a remake of an Asian horror. Most Asian horror movies ARE very similar and, if anything, just have tidbits of creepyness. The Eye is one of the few I've seen, why would I want to see an ‘okay’ movie again with Jessica freakin' Alba starring instead?

Americans have been stealing Asian horror because it's been better than recent American horror, which is not saying much AT ALL…because Asian horror has been pretty damn lame too.

I want a good, original horror movie damnit! XO
Phantom Penguin at 7:49PM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
Honestly to me it just seems like a bad idea for a movie, remake or no.
mlai at 11:17PM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
But it's got Jessica Alba

And you know about the correlation between horror movies and nekkidniss

mechanical_lullaby at 6:36AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(online)
I dunno, it looks good to me. But I'm a bad horror movie fanatic.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
trevoramueller at 7:54PM, Jan. 9, 2008
(online)
I don't think that Jessica Alba is a very talented actress. I've seen the original flick, and I enjoyed it a whole bunch. Chances are, I'm not going to like this remake - I just don't see why they need to remake it.
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Nominated for numerous web awards, see more news at My Website
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
jalford at 2:02AM, Jan. 10, 2008
(online)
Weird that this and the One Last Call(aka: Chakushin Ari)came out in America at the same time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Custard Trout at 12:07AM, Jan. 11, 2008
(offline)
mlai
But it's got Jessica Alba

And you know about the correlation between horror movies and nekkidniss

So? There's an entire internet full of boobs right here.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
mlai at 4:59AM, Jan. 11, 2008
(online)
Celebrity boobs seems different from internet boobs, dun ask me why.

Terminal at 6:25AM, Jan. 12, 2008
(online)
…the original wasn't that great either. :\
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:13PM
SarahN at 4:22PM, Jan. 12, 2008
(online)
trevoramueller
I don't think that Jessica Alba is a very talented actress.
Yaaay~! I'm not alone. XD
I mean, there are worse actresses than Jessica Alba…but I don't see what all the hubbub is about.
tea_green at 7:52PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(online)
Jessica Alba is so wooden and stiff.

As for the movie, doesn't look half bad…doesn't look half good either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Eunice P at 3:52AM, Jan. 18, 2008
(online)
Remake of The Eye? Wow, the original movie has been like… 5 years ago?

SarahN
I want a good, original horror movie damnit! XO
Original horror movie is hard to find these days. Everything seems to run through the same formula. Maybe they should start doing a horror MV like this one. Now, that's originality. LoL.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Arashi_san at 7:16PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Grrrrr! I've grown quite aggrivated and pissed off at the horrible American remakes of good Japanese horror films. Butchering The Ring and The Grudge was such a bad idea. A lot of people found them really scary, and I considered myself a cowardly, little wuss before I saw those movies and laughed my head off at every attempt to be scary.

I guess I was just overall disappointed by the remakes and I'm hoping without much faith in American film-making that they won't slaughter another good Japanese horror movie.
shifting in the wind… is a baby.
K.A.L.A.-dan! Ronin!
also here
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:00AM
Exzachly at 4:24AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
Have you ever seen the original Ring and Grudge? They're pretty much exactly the same as the american ones. Hell, they even brought the original director in for the US version of the grudge. I never thought either versions were that scary, then again I'm cynical and don't get creeped out by ghosties.

I'd like to see a horror movie that actually felt like a real nightmare. Real nightmares (at least for me) don't involve being chased by some baddie. They involve the suspension of reality, creepy alterations of the familiar, really weird imagery and lots of dread and doom. If someone could make a dreamlike horror movie, a Lynchian horror movie, that might actually freak me out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
mechanical_lullaby at 5:21AM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
Exzachly
Have you ever seen the original Ring and Grudge? They're pretty much exactly the same as the american ones. Hell, they even brought the original director in for the US version of the grudge. I never thought either versions were that scary, then again I'm cynical and don't get creeped out by ghosties.

I'd like to see a horror movie that actually felt like a real nightmare. Real nightmares (at least for me) don't involve being chased by some baddie. They involve the suspension of reality, creepy alterations of the familiar, really weird imagery and lots of dread and doom. If someone could make a dreamlike horror movie, a Lynchian horror movie, that might actually freak me out.
The Chumscrubber maybe?
It's not exactly horror-per se, but it is quite dream like…

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
SarahN at 12:16PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(online)
Exzachly

I thought the very first Ju-On (ehm, The Grudge), the TV version, not the theatrical version, was very good. Or at least the first part of it was. FYI the TV version is called Ju-On: The Curse.

I mean, any movie that has the sound of a dead person falling out of a closet and then crawling around is okay by me. It also took things in a much more disturbing direction because it wasn't limited by a PG-13 rating. And was also lacking stupid effects, and the less computer effects in a horror movie the better I think. Probably one of the few Asian horror flicks I really loved.

Once it got made for the theaters though (the Japanese version AND the American), it lost all it's….“heart”.
patrickdevine at 1:45PM, Jan. 23, 2008
(online)
They're remaking The Eye?! OK, I'm not totally against doing American remakes of Asian horror, (hell, I loved The Ring!) but The Eye was such a great horror movie, in all its low-budget glory.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Mister Kent at 6:16AM, Feb. 3, 2008
(online)
I know - The EYE was really good! From what I've seen this new one looks decent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
mlai at 6:23AM, Feb. 3, 2008
(online)
Exzachly
I heard that the horror manga The Spiral was ridiculously good.
The horror anime When Cicadas Cry certainly fits “creepy alterations of the familiar.”

Drasnus at 10:36AM, Feb. 6, 2008
(online)
Not again…

The Grudge can't hold a candle to Ju-On and they better not remake Battle Royale because some idiot can't handle subtitles…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Exzachly at 5:15PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
Drasnus
Not again…

The Grudge can't hold a candle to Ju-On and they better not remake Battle Royale because some idiot can't handle subtitles…

Didn't they already rip off Battle Royale ala The Condemned?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved