Media Megaforum

The First Four Months Of 2007 Have Been CrappyMcCrap For The Music Department
fern at 10:54PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
Have you heard any good albums from 2007?

I Didn't like the new Shins album… and I felt that Modest Mouse could have done wayyy better.

Only albums I've liked are Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero… even though the whole “man running the world shit” has been done already, it's still fun to listen to.

Another album that I just love is Blonde Redhead's 23.

Of course you always buy these albums legally on iTunes. (ghehe who am i kidding?)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
reconjsh at 4:32PM, April 21, 2007
(online)
http://www.snakecrosscrown.com/

The Snake The Cross The Crown has a new alblum that's pretty rockin'. Some of their older stuff is “too” Emo I think, but this alblum is like The Beetles meet Radiohead… it's great.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Hawk at 10:25PM, April 21, 2007
(online)
First four months? I haven't intentionally listened to the radio for the last five years. Somebody please tell me when hip hop dies down and DJs stop pretending it's still the '90s.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Terminal at 10:26PM, April 21, 2007
(online)
Hawk
First four months? I haven't intentionally listened to the radio for the last five years. Somebody please tell me when hip hop dies down and DJs stop pretending it's still the '90s.

It's not happening anytime soon, Hawk.

I'm in the same boat as you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
rengori at 1:40AM, April 22, 2007
(offline)
When the industry realizes that alternative, hip hop, and all subgenres/fusion genres, while they were good at one point, have overstayed their welcome, the industry might see some cash again. Wolfmother and a few underground bands are the only bands that were made in the last 10 years that I actually listen too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Crazy Dutchman at 6:50AM, April 22, 2007
(offline)
Go listen to Gruff Rhys - Candylion. Brilliant!

And Hip-Hop kicks ass. Don't judge it before you've heard this year's album by El-P!
Also the NIN tracks I've heard were great and the new Arctic Monkeys album is coming out soon. I'm quite excited and their hitsong Brianstorm simply rocks ^^
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
suzi at 7:21AM, April 22, 2007
(online)
I thought Clinic came out with a pretty good CD. And…did that Rapture album come out this year? I can't remember but that was good too. And I like about half of the Modest Mouse CD (the half that isn't catering to radio tastes). My favorite goth band the Cruxshadows have a new album out too but I haven't heard it.

The new Bright Eyes CD is the most depressing thing on the planet, though. In a really really bad way. He became a fucking country singer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
skoolmunkee at 10:17AM, April 22, 2007
(online)
The only thing on the radio I've been listening to lately is This American Life. :) How I love you, Ira Glass! (And you, iTunes, with your huge archive of TAL episodes.)

As far as music, hm… well I bought the latest John Mayer CD. He's my guilty music pleasure. Him and Johnny Lang and Jason Mraz. My sweety-voiced mens!

I also bought some Johnny Cash and Beatles stuff. I don't think they count though.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
Terminal at 2:24PM, April 22, 2007
(online)
skoolmunkee
As far as music, hm… well I bought the latest John Mayer CD. He's my guilty music pleasure. Him and Johnny Lang and Jason Mraz.

I keep my John Mayer and Jason Mraz CDs secret from everyone.

Shhhh. (Don't tell no one.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
SarahN at 4:27PM, April 22, 2007
(online)
Marilyn Manson is releasing a new album in June (I heard one of the new songs already, sounds MUCH better than the last album songs)…and the “reunited” Smashing Pumpkins is releasing one in July.

Though I'm not getting my hopes TOO up with the Smashing Pumpkins…sounds like it isn't going to be all of the original members back. Hell it might just be Billy Corgan and the drummer, Jimmy. If that's true than I don't think the “reunion” will last very long. I could be wrong though.

Supposedly Radiohead is going to release a new album later this year…maybe. Daammnn…I want new stuff from them! ;_;
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
rengori at 12:58AM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
Crazy Dutchman
And Hip-Hop kicks ass. Don't judge it before you've heard this year's album by El-P!
I wasn't really reffering to HipHop, but more the unholy unions it's made (case and point: Nu Metal).
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Hawk at 12:45AM, April 24, 2007
(online)
SarahN
…and the “reunited” Smashing Pumpkins is releasing one in July.

Really? That's awesome. They're part of the “too much '90s” problem, which stinks because I used to like them a lot. But if they make new stuff, maybe we can hear it instead of their old stuff they keep playing. And I'm all for some new Pumpkins.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Crazy Dutchman at 7:32AM, April 24, 2007
(offline)
I'd like to hear that new Radiohead stuff :) Thom Yorke's solo-stuff was also quite awsome. I don't know if I'm looking forward to a new Pumpkins' CD… I WOULD like to see them live tough, if that's going to happen ;)

rengori
Crazy Dutchman
I wasn't really reffering to HipHop, but more the unholy unions it's made (case and point: Nu Metal).
Yeah, you're probably right. But well, there are just a lot of anti-HipHop people. I don't like almost 50% of that genre, but when it's well done it can outrule all of the other styles and different from what people say it can be a VERY creative process. Radio mostly sucks, that's why I just create my own playlists that include all styles.. but is always good ;) (in my opinion that is ofcourse..)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Maxw3ll at 3:27PM, May 8, 2007
(offline)
I thought Modest Mouse's new cd was ok. And Icky Thump is being released by the White Stripes and looks promising. The actual song “icky Thump” has been released as a single and I like it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
OllieFreak at 12:01PM, May 9, 2007
(offline)
The Arctic's albumis AWESOME.

Some really brilliant songs on there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
heccubus at 4:02PM, May 9, 2007
(offline)
Are you insane, Fern? There's plenty of great stuff out this year. This is just the start of my list:

!!! - Myth Takes
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
The Besnard Lakes - Are the Dark Horse
Bjork - Volta
The Black Dog - Book of Dogma
Boredoms - Super Roots Vol. 9
Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
Coconut Records - Nighttiming
Das Oath - Das Oath
Death Unit - Infinite Death
Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity