Debate and Discussion

The Georgia Guidestones: your opinion
lastcall at 7:22PM, June 13, 2009
(offline)
I was reading an article about The Georgia Guidestones via Wired magazine the other day. It's a Stonehenge-like monument in the middle of Georgia farmland that spells out instructions for the next civilization that will come after we destroy ourselves. It was funded by an unknown source. Only one man knows who the source's real name is–and he's not telling.

The popular theory is that the monument was funded by a group of Rosicrucianists, who have been shrouding themselves in secrecy since Medieval times.

What's your take on this monument? Yoko Ono and others have praised the inscribed messages as “a stirring call to rational thinking”, while opponents have labeled them as the “Ten Commandments of the Antichrist.” A lot of Christian groups want the monument destroyed, saying it is a thing of evil. In 2008, the monument was defaced with polyurethane paint and graffiti with slogans such as “Death to the new world order.” What would be your reaction if you were able to see a monument like this?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Product Placement at 7:38PM, June 13, 2009
(online)
Meh. It's only a gimmick. It would never survive a thousand year old wear and tear of weather. And even if it did, there's no guaranty that the new civilization that will rise on the foundation of the lost one will even be able to understand any of the languages.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Chernobog at 9:48PM, June 13, 2009
(offline)
One from such a ‘new world’ would hopefully to take the ‘instructions’ with a grain of salt and bemusement, considering the failure of the previous one in that scenario. The whims of a handful of private society enthusiasts (amongst others) should have nothing to do with ruling a new world from the grave.

I liked reading the reactions section. Yoko Ono gets quoted. Then a stereotypical angsty Christian activist. What a load of junk. The whole thing strikes me as more human pretentiousness.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
megan_rose at 10:07PM, June 13, 2009
(online)
Why would the Next Civilization take advice from a previous civilization that destroyed itself? Obviously, we weren't that smart. Not to mention that we're hardly at the epitome of human knowledge, and whatever we put in there will be voided within half a century.

I think we all have better things to do with our time than tell post-humans how to live their lives.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Skullbie at 3:44AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Yes like destroying the environment and dissolving the ozone layer, silly Rosicrucianists need to get with 21st century *sprays aerosol*

hedgestone
“guide reproduction wisely”, “improving fitness and diversity”, “prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite”, “Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.” “Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court” and others, concluding with “be not a cancer on the earth — leave room for nature — leave room for nature.”

How the hell is this evil or anticrist? This goes hand in fucking hand with a lot of the bible's teachings except phrased in a simpler way :gem: Blargh!

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
El Cid at 6:40AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
I'd say I pretty much agree with Chernobog. It's just a little bit presumptuous of the guys who made the thing to think they have the right blueprint, and it's very presumptuous of them to think anybody's going to listen to them.

As for the message itself, it's well-meaning nonsense. That last line sums it up all too well: “Leave room for nature.” Leave room for nature? We ARE nature! Nature made us social creatures who use tools; she made us smart enough to uncover her secrets. We took sand and made it into silicon microchips. We took manure and made it into explosives. It's that whole Pandora thing: It's out of the box now; you can't put it back in. I guess it's just the cynic in me, but if humans ever did have to start over from scratch, and some gullible tribe actually elected to abide by the Principles of the Guidestones, not over-reproducing, solving disputes with courts instead of wars, then as soon as some neighboring tribe came along that wasn't a gaggle of tea-sippin' hippies, it'd be game over. My Cidites would wipe ‘em out. We’d take their stuff and then we'd eat them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
ozoneocean at 7:18AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
lol!

It's “presumptuous” to do pretty much anything!
You want to post your opinions on a forum and think for a minute that anyone else should read them and care what you say? How presumptuous of you!

I think it's fine. Why would advice from a “failed” civilisation not be worth too much? You'd think that hopefully they (we) at least found out what they (we) were doing wrong. It's the same principal of taking advice from your elders, teachers or just learning from what you read in books. I think people are really being a little silly and really blowing this stuff our of context.

Historically it could prove quite valuable; one of the OBVIOUS intents is to function a bit like the Rosetta stone, where a stone artefact had the same text in many different languages and that helped to unlock the secrets of ancient Egypt. So it really doesn't matter just what the thing actually says, as long as it lasts a fair while, because it could prove helpful to future people in unlocking even MORE information simply because it can serve as a simple key to language.

Anyway, it's a noble effort and hopefully it WILL last. Even though I'd like to think and hope that our civilisations will outlast it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Hawk at 10:48AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
It's a rock. And it asks that future civilizations follow a set of guidelines that we ourselves can't follow. I think it has good intentions, it's a bit silly… almost like somebody has given up on this civilization but hopes the next one will do better than we did. It's not too late to change this civilization.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
bravo1102 at 12:10PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
That already existed. How about the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials? Someone walk in, decipher the words and what great wisdom from a learned scholar of old. Our monuments are the same and even modeled after ancient examples.

I like the Rosetta stone analogy. Considering how mundane the actual text is. An archeologist can learn a lot from a mundane inscription. It could be argued that an archeologist can learn a lot more about a culture from the mundane as opposed to the grand sacred wisdom.

Just look at what they learned once they could read Mayan. The people of the future will probably think it's moral philosophy and wisdom. Every culture inscribes the same basic stuff.

Besides we all know that the future will be based on the music of Wild Stallyns. Be excellent to each other.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Orin J Master at 4:12PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
heard about it all before. don't consider it news. an annoying piece of modern art, maybe, but not news.

i mean when has humanity take the advice of earlier cultures over their current “flawless” beliefs? buncha dumb shaved apes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
kyupol at 6:59PM, June 15, 2009
(online)
lastcall
I was reading an article about The Georgia Guidestones via Wired magazine the other day. It's a Stonehenge-like monument in the middle of Georgia farmland that spells out instructions for the next civilization that will come after we destroy ourselves. It was funded by an unknown source. Only one man knows who the source's real name is–and he's not telling.

The popular theory is that the monument was funded by a group of Rosicrucianists, who have been shrouding themselves in secrecy since Medieval times.

What's your take on this monument? Yoko Ono and others have praised the inscribed messages as “a stirring call to rational thinking”, while opponents have labeled them as the “Ten Commandments of the Antichrist.” A lot of Christian groups want the monument destroyed, saying it is a thing of evil. In 2008, the monument was defaced with polyurethane paint and graffiti with slogans such as “Death to the new world order.” What would be your reaction if you were able to see a monument like this?

Thats the open proof that they want to kill you.

Also read NSSM 200 by Henry Kissinger.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
ipokino at 9:27AM, June 16, 2009
(offline)
Reading the opinions laid in here, I am a bit surprised at the vitriol aimed at what is to me a noble effort. The rosetta stone contained (I believe–without checking) translations of three languages…one of which was still known. It is today considered one of the greatest finds of archeology simply because it opened up the language and records of two other cultures. In my library at home I have a book of anecdotes that were written by ancient Egyptians, priests, scholars and business people…some very ordinary. It was cool to realize that what these people were saying–three and four thousand years ago–echos the very things we say today. I felt very connected by this–to them. Without the rosetta stone, we would never know what those heiroglyphics were telling us–like we do not know what the Aztecs were saying today.
I also don't feel trying to pass wisdom learned the hard way onto a younger culture is stupid. It is probably as useless as trying to pass wisdom learned the hard way onto younger people–who refuse to listen or learn from their elders (as a father I totally have the right to say this!!!) but worth the effort nonetheless.
As for the graphitti–I say–no problem. The stones are granite and paint will merely serve to help protect the surfaces beneath. Probably it will give future archeologists a mystery of why the stones have traces of pigment embedded in them!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
Orin J Master at 11:53AM, June 16, 2009
(online)
ipokino
Reading the opinions laid in here, I am a bit surprised at the vitriol aimed at what is to me a noble effort. The rosetta stone contained (I believe–without checking) translations of three languages…one of which was still known. It is today considered one of the greatest finds of archeology simply because it opened up the language and records of two other cultures. In my library at home I have a book of anecdotes that were written by ancient Egyptians, priests, scholars and business people…some very ordinary. It was cool to realize that what these people were saying–three and four thousand years ago–echos the very things we say today. I felt very connected by this–to them. Without the rosetta stone, we would never know what those heiroglyphics were telling us–like we do not know what the Aztecs were saying today.
I also don't feel trying to pass wisdom learned the hard way onto a younger culture is stupid. It is probably as useless as trying to pass wisdom learned the hard way onto younger people–who refuse to listen or learn from their elders (as a father I totally have the right to say this!!!) but worth the effort nonetheless.
As for the graphitti–I say–no problem. The stones are granite and paint will merely serve to help protect the surfaces beneath. Probably it will give future archeologists a mystery of why the stones have traces of pigment embedded in them!

not the same thing. the rosetta stone doesn't exist to pass knowledge down through the ages, it's a notice of international politics designed at the time for the time, we just happened to have use for it centuries later. this thing is just a bundle of assumptions by someone nobody knows in the hopes of telling people in the future what they should do, for reasons that are as silly as they are selfish.

why the hell should people be leaving instructions to a society that's succeeded theirs?

oh, and it's grafitti.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
HippieVan at 7:09PM, June 16, 2009
(online)
Orin J Master
oh, and it's grafitti.

Actually it's graffiti. XD

I kind of hope that if there's a new civilization after us, that it will be so drastically different that the instructions on those stones won't make a lick of sense to the future people(or whatever else is in charge then).
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
ozoneocean at 4:42AM, June 17, 2009
(online)
Orin J Master
not the same thing. the rosetta stone doesn't exist to pass knowledge down through the ages…
This is silly. The reason why the Rosetta stone was great was because it had the same thing written in different languages and that allowed people to work out what a dead language was really saying, which allowed people to find out a whole lot more.
These things could function in exactly the same way in that English or some of the other languages may not last as long as the rock. But a rock is a much better way to preserve knowledge than a CD, book, hard disk or anything else invented.
The knowledge the rooks store is not just the “wisdom” that's written there but the languages that are used to do it.

And it has nothing to do with Graffiti. Graffiti is about adding your own symbology to some other existing structure. if you're going to call it graffiti, lets just call everything graffiti… T_T

or how about we call it all “egg whisks”, or “bible machines”, or “ampersands”? Makes as much sense, but it's more creative :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
bravo1102 at 6:49AM, June 18, 2009
(online)
There are practical things written on the Guidestones too like the astronomical information? That should allow any group to date it as no other dates would make sense. Every civilization does it and it is invaluable. (though I still think mundane finds are more valuable than BIG GREAT WISDOM OF THE AGES! finds)

By the way with eight languages saying the same text the chances that one language has survived in some form is high. Any reasonable culture with a knowledge of mathematics should be able to decipher the alphabet using codebreaking techniques by comparing the texts. If a dope like me can do code breaking… I'm certain they'll have a Champollion or three running around somewhere.

And since plastic lasts forever in a landfill they'll have every plastic implement we ever had. That should allow them to rebuild our civilization piece by piece using all the perfectly preserved plastic lego blocks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
lastcall at 5:39AM, June 19, 2009
(offline)
Holy crap, a city made out of Legos would be SWEET. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
lothar at 8:18AM, July 1, 2009
(online)
it's all well and good , Xept for THE VERY FIRST LINE

“maintain humanity under 500,000,000”
to get to that goal today , you would have to kill 11 out of every 12 people on Earth

the rest is just cloud talking , that first line is all that matters . hiding in plain site ! LOL
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ifelldownthestairs at 1:45AM, July 3, 2009
(online)
Hawk
It's not too late to change this civilization.

all i really get from this whole thing is this. maybe it's just meant to feed the hope that we can in fact better ourselves as a species.

or maybe it is just anti-christ propaganda. it does, after all, suggest keeping a cap of sorts on the world population. but god said that we should be fruitful and multiply, GOD SAID THAT. YOU DON'T FUCK WITH GOD THAT IS BULLSHIT I AM SPRAYPAINTING ALL OVER THIS MOTHERFUCKER YOU STONE PIECE OF SHIT
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
lothar at 2:23PM, July 3, 2009
(online)
i'm not against a cap on world population . it's a good idea in theory. but, in practice , a cap of half a billion would require massive killing to acomplish in the short term , or a realy long time to acomplish in the long term
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved