Media Megaforum

The Happening
Hawk at 3:51PM, June 18, 2008
(online)
M. Night Shyamalan's new movie hit theaters this last weekend, and it didn't seem to grab much attention, what with the Hulk smashing theaters at the same time and people still talking about Indy. I myself was going to see Indy, but my timing was bad. I could either miss the first 15 minutes of it or wait 2.5 hours for the next showing, so I spontaneously chose to watch The Happening.

In my opinion, M. Night's movies have been on a downward slide in quality ever since the beginning, though I still enjoyed even his lesser films like The Village. I did not like Lady in the Water. However, The Happening felt like a turn back in the positive direction for his movies. It wasn't blow-you-away good, but it sure was better than the last one.

The Happening differs from M. Night's other movies in that it's quite a bit more brutal and violent. M. Night isn't an excessive person. He doesn't throw in questionable content for the same of it being there, but he puts in just enough to get his point across. The ‘R’ rating is entirely attributed to violence, which I think many will find to be tame. I found it to be a little unsettling from time to time.

This latest movie still banks on suspense, which I enjoyed. It had a little mystery, too. But if you're looking for Shyamalan's trademark twist, you won't find it here. What it does have, like many of his other movies, is a certain amount of implausibility and hokiness. And it still feels like Shyamalan doesn't quite get how to do humor yet.

I enjoyed it though. Rotten Tomatoes was giving it 20% last time I checked, and I would score it somewhat higher than that. But with all the great movies coming out recently I wouldn't fault anyone on missing it or waiting for the DVD rentals.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Custard Trout at 12:24AM, June 19, 2008
(offline)
I refuse to see a movie with such a fucking stupid name.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
ozoneocean at 12:40AM, June 19, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
It IS a bad name for a horror film, which I assume it is.

It was a rather better name for the 1967 film of the title which I actually thought this thread was about. There it referred to “an event” in the style of talking that hippies used at the time, since the movie was about a group of hippies…

It was rather strange. They were hippies, but also violent criminals They set out to capture, kidnap and ransom a wealthy businessman, who turns out to be a major gangster and drug dealer. He eventually takes control of them. It sort of anticipated the Manson thing in a way… These stupid kid hippies being controlled and blindly following a malevolent, intelligent older man, and the way their tight little group is so alien to the normal families in the suburbs. Interesting film.

————————-

I dunno about Hawk's film of that name. I'm sure it's great but I'm not into horror :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Custard Trout at 4:50AM, June 19, 2008
(offline)
It is horror, which is great. Judging by the trailer, it actually looks like a decent film, but if I watch all I'll be able to think about is how stupid the title is. It's a bloody shame, because there are so few good horror movies about.
Hawk at 10:17AM, June 19, 2008
(online)
I agree. I've been STARVING for a good scary movie for a long time now. Every time I see a trailer for a scary movie I think, “Maybe this is the one…” Of course, I'm pretty much always disappointed.

And by “good scary movie” I mean something that really capitalizes on suspence, not gore (like the Saw movies). Though I kind of enjoyed The Happening, I think the last one I really enjoyed was 1408.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
SpANG at 10:24AM, June 19, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
Custard Trout
It IS a bad name for a horror film, which I assume it is.
It's an awesome name for a night club, though.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
SarahN at 1:27PM, June 19, 2008
(online)
Hawk
I agree. I've been STARVING for a good scary movie for a long time now.

You and me both buddy. XP
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
SpANG at 5:27PM, June 23, 2008
(online)
I just saw it on Sunday. It was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Definitely the worst I saw this year.

I figured I'd give M Night the benefit of the doubt. I wish I didn't now.

Mark Walberg is one horrible actor. The supporting cast didn't help either. As for suspense, well… I guess me and Hawk saw a different movie. You know what is going to happen, scene to scene, and from beginning to end. I saw nothing suspenseful in any of it. The violent scenes were (unintentionally) laughable as they were unnecessary. Nothing even wraps up at the end. People just go about their normal business again.

The whole “happening at another country” scene at the end could be seen from a mile away.

It's obvious that Shyamalan is obviously making an environmental statement, but the statement is muddled. HOW are we doing this? HOW can we change it? And why the hell didn't people in NY retreat to places were there ARE NO PLANTS? You walk 3 blocks from Central Park, and it's nothing but concrete! Now, that would have been and ending… The group of people all get trapped in Downtown Manhattan, and they can't leave, or they get killed by nature. They are trapped in the world they themselves created.

I have only enjoyed 2 movies from M Night. My favorite was “Unbreakable” and my second fav was “The Sixth Sense”. I have been disappointed in some level with every other M Night movie. This is now at the bottom of the list. :(

* out of *****
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
ozoneocean at 5:41PM, June 23, 2008
(online)
SpANG
My favorite was “Unbreakable”
That's a damn good superhero film. The perfect role for Willis too. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Maxw3ll at 8:46PM, June 23, 2008
(offline)
I heard the movie was so bad that it was hilarious.

All of Shamalamading-dong's recent movies have sucked, but Unbreakable was made of win.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Custard Trout at 2:59AM, June 24, 2008
(offline)
Good thing I wasn't going to see it then. Why are trailers lying to me so suddenly?

. . .

More often than they usually did, I mean.
mlai at 3:38PM, June 25, 2008
(online)
I found the movie enjoyable enough. I don't watch his movies waiting for a twist or trying to be suspensed from beginning to end. IMO Wahlberg is a decent actor. I don't hold the beginning of his media career against him.

Too bad this movie and Signs both suffer from "If you know the science behind the events they're inspired from, the whole thing feels hokey." I'm talking about crop circles and disappearing bees.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved