Random Discussion

The Holideck from star trek is finally here!!
subcultured at 1:56PM, May 5, 2009
(online)
i like how he gets dizzy or thinks he's gonna fall.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Croi Dhubh at 4:27PM, May 5, 2009
(offline)
I'm impressed! Far from the actual holideck technology, but a great example of how your mind processes reality vs actuality.

The flight simulators the Air Force and Navy use are actually good examples of this and use a similar technology as well.

Imagine the FPS possibilities!!!
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
Product Placement at 4:53PM, May 5, 2009
(online)
You'll notice that the picture is “blurry” and he's wearing 3D glasses. For him this must be crazy weird to experience. I was impressed. Must be expensive as heck though.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
ozoneocean at 12:10AM, May 6, 2009
(online)
Credit to them for making it work…
But from the point of view of a reality emulator it's bizarre in that a hemispherical world is morphed into a cube.

A good step ahead would be to curve the walls and roof into a single wrap around plain, also curving the floor join. You'd need to tinker with the projector lenses and the image processing, but you could make it work.
Also the floor could be a multi-directional treadmill thing.
I wonder how you'd do that? A massive sphere under the floor? That'd work perfectly, but take up too much room lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
SarahN at 12:19AM, May 6, 2009
(online)
Definitely getting a bit closer to the Holideck, I'll say that.
I always wondered how that worked in Star Trek without them eventually walking into a wall. XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
ozoneocean at 12:22AM, May 6, 2009
(online)
SarahN
I always wondered how that worked in Star Trek without them eventually walking into a wall. XD
They said “transporter technology”. That's also what made things solid… But my guess is that it was pixy dust.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Product Placement at 2:42AM, May 6, 2009
(online)
I figured that they were always standing in the same place in the holodeck and when they walked the room “moved” the floor around them. Can't explain how it worked for multiple people all walking in separate directions though.

Nor can I explain the moments when they were further away from each other then the size of the holodeck allowed.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
bravo1102 at 2:46PM, May 6, 2009
(online)
There aren't just flight simulators. There are also gunnery simulators and driving simulators where you'll get sick due to the implied movement. The best are the linked combat simulators (Simnet) which pre-dated the internet linked video games by ten years.
That's why military personnel could say that training was harder than real combat. You could really mess with their minds. (I was trained how to run a simulator) Some would do the “flying” bit with the tank simulators in the Simnet. I did “killer tank” in the Conduct of Fire trainer.

That is neat. Cool seeing one where you're walking as opposed to vehicle based ones.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Croi Dhubh at 6:26PM, May 6, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
SarahN
They said “transporter technology”. That's also what made things solid… But my guess is that it was pixy dust.
Okay, this is from my understanding from watching the shows…

Transporter technology was used to create more solid and common place objects such as rocks and water. The matter was broken down at a molecular level and then reconstructed as said object. The matter was collected from both debris is space (space dust, ice particles, etc) and pulled from a nearby planet (<–this was stated in an episode when these weird things were upgrading their holideck).

More complicated items, such as people, cars, and things like that were created using “proto-matter”, a term made up by he writers, and confined within a force field. By increasing and decreasing the density of the force field, the simulation of skin, cloud texturing, and things like that could be fine tuned to feel real or allow the passing through of objects.

The safe guards installed were to prevent severe injuries, or at least keep them to a minimum, by terminating the program when the holideck sensed trouble. For instance, with the safe guards turned on, you would not be able to recreate Paris and jump off the Eiffel Tower without a parachute in order to kill yourself. The holideck would detect this and terminate the program, which would then use transporter technology to place you only inches from the ground with no more inertia, and then allow you to drop as if you were only 1 inch or less from the ground to begin with.

On the walls of the holideck were multiple projection lenses, speakers, and miniature transporter based nodes which created the illusion of the setting you created. Any holographic image which attempted to leave the holideck was immediately terminated because it is no longer was in range of the projection.

Now, there are a few exceptions, which I cannot explain, such as the ability for some characters to have thrown snowballs and hit people outside the holideck (Wesley Crusher did this to Captain Picard in the pilot episode) or exit the holideck dripping wet (quite a few characters had this happen to them).

Oh…and pixy dust!

Product Placement
I figured that they were always standing in the same place in the holodeck and when they walked the room “moved” the floor around them. Can't explain how it worked for multiple people all walking in separate directions though.

Nor can I explain the moments when they were further away from each other then the size of the holodeck allowed.
Agreed. That was my theory, too! However, with more than on person going in and going away form each other that theory doesn't work…so I have no idea what's going on with it
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved