Debate and Discussion

The internet and its spam
JillyFoo at 6:53PM, July 21, 2008
(online)
(I got shot down before I got a chance at hearing any opinions. Let's try this again.)

I got to wondering how advertisers of worthless spam get the money to buy,

-expired domain names
-spam thousands of emails
-put up ads in premium locations

How do you think they do it?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
kyupol at 7:09PM, July 21, 2008
(offline)
advertisers of spam must have a dayjob to finance it. Or at least take some debt to initially finance that.

Then as people fall for it, they make money.

With that money, the debt can be paid.

————-
LOOP {
-Then they make more money as more people fall for it.
-Then they make profit.
- Then they pay for advertising.
}
————

Hope I explained it correctly. :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Aussie_kid at 2:35AM, July 22, 2008
(online)
kyupol
advertisers of spam must have a dayjob to finance it. Or at least take some debt to initially finance that.

Then as people fall for it, they make money.

With that money, the debt can be paid.

————-
LOOP {
-Then they make more money as more people fall for it.
-Then they make profit.
- Then they pay for advertising.
}
————

Hope I explained it correctly. :)

They could also start with the spam emails. You know, the ‘Forward us a few million and we’ll send you a billion dollars' sort of thing. They get enough gullible people, then what kyupol said happens.
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
cartoonprofessor at 7:12PM, July 26, 2008
(online)
Interesting topic, was thinking of staring something similiar but will comment on this one instead…

There always seems to be ‘new’ ways of using the internet to create money. My wife has been looking at ‘gifting’ recently… youtube is literally flooded with people opening letters and pulling out hundreds of dollars…

She can't do it here in Oz because while ‘cash-gifting’ is perfectly legal here, promoting such activities is not.

I see it as basically a pyramid game under another name, as anything that does not have a product or service to exchange for money has to be. Otherwise the only revenue stream is more than one person ‘gifting’ their share. It has to be more than one otherwise you only get back what you put in… hence a pyramid forms.

What do others think?

Anyone here gotten into one of these and not made any money? It seems these things ‘flash-and-burn’… is this craze already past?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
StaceyMontgomery at 4:27AM, July 27, 2008
(offline)
Cash Gifting is just the latest version of the age old Ponzi scheme or pyramid.

It's an incredibly evil and immoral thing to be involved in if you are at the top of the pyramid and make money. It's a terribly stupid thing to be involved in if you are at the bottom, since you will just give away money and get nothing back.

So - stupid or evil?

With ponzi scheme, you get to be both!!

Sorry, but there's just no nice way to talk about this. Ponzi schemes are for people who have the moral compass of a back alley mugger, but less courage. Ponzi schemes are made up of networks of people who are getting mugged while each dreaming of being the mugger someday.

Don't do it.

Also, I contest that “cash gifting” is perfectly legal in Oz - you're twisting language as badly as a politican. Yes, any individual act of giving a gift is probably legal - but working a ponzi scheme is not. That's the way a con man talks, and you should be ashamed. Saying it is only illegal to “promote” the scheme is like a mugger saying “but it's legal to walk into the alley! It's only hitting them with the crowbar that's really illegal!”

For shame.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
cartoonprofessor at 4:58AM, July 27, 2008
(online)
Shame?

Get off your high horse, Stacy, and read my post. I was simply stating a legal fact.

I actually state my opinion that it is just another pyramid scheme under a new name.

I am interested in people's experience with these ‘fads’. So many seem to come and go. I see them like gambling… people get all excited with the idea of ‘winning big’, share their enthusiasm, scheme grows in popularity, then collapses.

What have been people's experiences with this latest one?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved