Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

The Lettering.... Is it cool to do it by hand?
alexcat321 at 1:50PM, July 14, 2009
(online)
The Lettering…. Is it cool to do it by hand? I ask this question because I just wanted some advice before I started my new project. Educate me. Do any of you do it by hand. Thanks.

John Jr

here's my deviant art: http://alexcat321.deviantart.com/ add me!

ART AND STORY BY JOHNATHAN HUDSON JR!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
AccoSpoot at 2:02PM, July 14, 2009
(offline)
Depends how readable your writing is. If you do decide to go by hand make sure you keep it simple, complex fonts are difficult to read and make it especially bad in comics where it breaks up the flow. Keep your letters spaced out (but not too spaced out) and large this'll make it easier to read when inevitably you need to scale your picture up or down. I think that's everything, honestly I'd choose printed fonts, it's more consistent, stays readable under scaling and it's a lot easier to make a word bubble and fill it in photoshop than to muss around.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 2:08PM, July 14, 2009
(offline)
It depends on a few factors.

1.) Do you have neat hand-writing? Like, is it legible? If you do, make sure you ink it with a nice pen. May I suggest some kind of technical pen? Such as a radiograph, or even a micron?

One major tip for doing it by hand, is make sure you either have an Ames guide (which is like a lettering device, used by old-school comic book artists), or use a ruler.

2.) Does your hand writing fit with your style?

Believe it or not, not everybody's hand-writing fits in with their style. Like, you could have some kind of super neat cursive writing for a gangster comic. That really wouldn't work, in my opinion. So make sure it just kinda ‘fits’. Ask someone if your not sure.

Hope that helps!

-Ryu
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
GracehFaceh at 2:26PM, July 14, 2009
(online)
As long as you have, not only legible, but good handwriting, it should be fine. Just be careful with spelling things wrong or making grammer errors- it's much harder to go back and change the wording when it's handwritten.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved