Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The Make A Friend Thread
Tundra at 11:38PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
I got this idea from another forum. What you do is you post stuff about yourself, and then you go through the thread and PM anyone who seems interesting.

So, obviously I'll go first. I'm 21, female, from Australia. I'm single and live at home as is customary in Australia for uni students. I love writing (or attempting to), singing, various arts and crafts, and British comedies. I like live comedy though I rarely get to go and see any. I like hanging out and being stupid with my friends. I am what is probably able to be described as a geek. I don't drink or smoke. I'm non religious but not totally atheist as such.
I'd like to be a teacher.

I'm someone who believes that she can change the world in some way.

Your turn!

Also, feel free to edit your posts as you think of stuff.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Custard Trout at 11:50PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
This like a nice idea. I will participate! YAY!

I'm seventeen, I live in the UK, specificallly England. I am single, do not really wish to stop being so right now, and live at home with my mother and younger brother. Until September, because then I will be living in the Halls of Residence (dramatic thunder and stuff) at my uni. I like writing, particularly humorous limericks or random doggerel (my favourite so far is Funeral Spire), I like art, but not um. . . doing it. I do like animation though, and I concern myself not with art quality, but animation quality, I like it to be smooth, flowing like liquid from one form to another, which is the main reason I dislike anime (and therefore manga, but there are a few webcomics I like with a manga style though). I too like British comedy (Mighty Boosh anyone? Blackadder? Young Ones?).

I like to run around naked in public, and flying purple hamsters are always trying to steal my knees.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Neilsama at 12:06AM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
Let's see. I'm 30, male, and from Illinois. I'm currently studying to be a CNA. Not what I want to do with my life, but it's what I'm most qualified to do at the moment, and it'll give me the freedom to do other things with my life. I attempted to get into broadcasting and communication, but I got tired of traveling. Would prefer being a professional writer of some sort. I love action cartoons, classic cartoons, comicbooks, classic video games, and heavy metal. I like being around people more for the atmosphere. I'm not much of a conversationalist, but I'm a hell of a listener. Non-smoker. Non-drinker. Non-theist. I can be very opinionated, but I won't bite people's heads off unless they provoke me. grr…

I think the biggest problem in the world is that critical thinking has become deprioritized in favor of traditional values.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
Freux at 12:20AM, March 17, 2007
(online)
I'm lazy, but I'll attempt to participate. :P

I'm 21, FEMALE ( i get called ‘man’ a lot online. do i lack femininity? o0o ), and I live at home with my father and sister. I have a low-paying part-time job, I'm struggling to get back into school, and I'm infatuated with reptiles. ( i own 6 atm ) I live in the southern part of the USA where critters roam free, rednecks are numerous, and cable internet is hard to come by. .. I have a slight drawl.

I sleep too much, I doodle too much, I worry too much, I procrastinate too much, I spend way too much time with a python around my neck, I don't party enough. I missed my big ‘going out drinking’ thing on my birthday. I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't hang with the chums enough.

I like comedy, brit comedy, most animated things, and Blue October. I like classic rock, indie rock, irish rock, and softer music. I'm not very hard to get along with, though I'm not very good at keeping a conversation going. ( more of a listener, really ) I'm not a snob, just a little shy and uncertain.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
AQua_ng at 2:47AM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
Profile, AQua_ng, Antony Quang is:

- A Pokemon fanboy. Remember that.
- A 12 year old boy trapped inside a 15 year old teen's body.
- Extremely cheerful, flippant and happy-go-lucky.
- A gamer of old school and new school video games.
- A casusal rock listener, with a preference to rock.
- A giver hugs to everybody, and is usually seen being given a piggyback by one of his friends.
- Quick to anger when people call him short.
- Chinese.
- Very emotional and sensitive, with his feelings hurt easily.
- Funny(ish).
- Clever.
- A former chav (oh, the shame!).
- Not really wanting to make friends here, just to talk about himslef. Yak, yak, yak, yak, yak.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 3:04AM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
hi!!
I'm kristen!!
I'm 19, although I constantly forget my age and sometimes say 17, 18, (one time I said 20! and then I had to do the math in my head..!) I also always forget what year it is, and month, and I never know the date. As you can tell, I'm a total space-cadet, and I never pay attention and I'm always daydreaming.
I like to write poetry, and I like having penpals, because I can write on and on, for hours. I almost like writing to people more than I like talking to people, because there's always that beloved “delete” key ^_-! I also like to write stories, and until I started my comic, my goal was to be a novelist. (now it's to be a graphic novelist! :D!)
I like to sing, and I used to be in plays in high school. One thing that was really fun that I did in high school was, I sang the song “Oh Darling” on stage! With a super-cool-awesome band!! And I looked like such a rockstar, it was fantastic!!
I talk a lot, and have a pretty cheerful (if stupid) demeanor, and I'm utterly non-confrontational, completely passive, but I tend to be very emotional and sensitive.
I've recently discovered that I need a lot of time by myself to function. Sometimes I go for a day or two without talking to people other than participating in class or talking to the service people in the cafeteria. It makes me feel all zenny.
I love to paint and draw, although scuplture is my nemesis.
My favorite thing is moral ambiguity. My favorite books & movies tend to be about criminals or scoundrels, like American Psycho, In Cold Blood, Lolita, Les Miserables, Midnight Cowboy, Death Note… I love it when I find myself rooting for the killer/bad guy, because then it makes me think… oooh deep…
oh yeah, I can't keep friends for my life. I can make them really easily because I'm not shy and I'm pretty outgoing and friendly, but I generally like being alone more than being with people, which means I tend to drift from people. One time a friend of mine said, “Kristen, you're weird. You don't *need* people.” well of course my ego was bruised, because she made me sound like a cold-hearted, calculating machine of a girl. But she may have been right. who knows?
Oh and I cry during almost every movie, and when pretty songs come on, and one time (get this!) because I saw an excruciatingly beautiful sunset. But when people die I don't cry.. heh…?
Oh yeah, I also have the terrible habit of unabashedly telling all my secrets to the world, and revealing every un-noteworthy facet of my life to complete strangers, imagining that they care.
When I was little my mom thought I was autistic!! haha!!! It was mostly because I never, ever, ever made eye contact.. I remember getting yelled at for that when I was little…
I've been told I'm arrogant (because sometimes I say stuff like, “hah! I can do anything, ever” etc)? although I like to preserve the idea that I just have an endless amount of self-esteem.
Oh yeah, I'm really obsessive, which probably gets annoying to the people I'm with… but to me, being completely fixated on one thing is blissful, like being in love. My mom always gets on my case about it though. Nowadays when she sees me drawing my comic, she nags about how obsessive I am because she knows it gets on my nerves… arrgh!! I used to be obsessed with the Beatles, then with French literature, and then with old movies, and now I'm totally into anime. But being obsessive has its perks because it has made me good at art (obsessively drawing lovely Paul McCartney… ahh)
oh, I like listening to the same songs over and over… my highest itunes playcount was 1400. O.O!!!
I'm a cancer!
wow I wrote a lot, sorry!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Ozoneocean at 10:24AM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Hi, I'm Ozoneocean and I will be your friend. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
subcultured at 10:35AM, March 17, 2007
(online)
wierd…some people who i though was a certain sex was not
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
reconjsh at 11:07AM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Fun thread, I think I'll join…

My name is Jerome Hill. I'm 26, 6'5“, male from Michigan. I work as a Graphic Designer in a small town, which really means ‘I don’t work much'. Before I went to college at Ferris State Universtiy, I was in the Army as a Scout where I got wounded and 30% disabled by uncle sam's calculations. If I had to define myself in 3 words or less, it'd be: ”Computer Geek plus“.

Music is constantly in my life. I love songs and rarely do I not have my media player blarring through my house or my mp3 player buds in my ears. Recently, I've been really in to A Perfect Circle, Portishead, old Our Lady Peace, Richard Cheese, and Bjork… but I listen to ”anything that makes my head bop“. So, that includes some country, rap… and even Mmmbop by Hansen. ;)

I consdier myself an artist, though I don't specialize in any one particular field. I love photography and, most recently, comic booking though I've only been a comic book artist for about 2-3 months. I'm Bipolar II hypomanic… which is considered, by some, as the good kind of bipolar. I don't consider it such, but it certainly has some positive qualities. Like one, every new mania I cycle in to brings a new hobby… one that I can't stop obsessing about. I obsess for weeks or months; eat sleep and poo whatever it is I focus in on until I've ”mastered“ it or I go into a deep depression. In fact, I don't usually sleep much ever, but especially not when I'm in a cycle. Some of the hobbies I've kept from being manic are: language studies (I know spanish and sign language pretty well and a touch of japanese); bonsai gardening (silly yes, but really the time demand is very low on this hobby); photography; drawing; and playing instruments (I play trombone well and piano and guitar only a touch).

If there's anything I've done to adjust to being ”crazy“, it is that I've adopted the life policy of ”Be ignorant about nothing. Learn something about everything." Every time something new comes on my radar, I go and learn about it… often times a lot about it. This is what drives my life in a lot of ways.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I may perhaps be the world's largest movie buff ;)

Anyone is welcome to PQ me to talk… or to grab any of my IM screen names.

Thanks,
~jerome~
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Generic Human at 12:00PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Neilsama
Let's see. I'm 30, male, and from Illinois. I'm currently studying to be a CNA. Not what I want to do with my life, but it's what I'm most qualified to do at the moment, and it'll give me the freedom to do other things with my life. I attempted to get into broadcasting and communication, but I got tired of traveling. Would prefer being a professional writer of some sort. I love action cartoons, classic cartoons, comicbooks, classic video games, and heavy metal. I like being around people more for the atmosphere. I'm not much of a conversationalist, but I'm a hell of a listener. Non-smoker. Non-drinker. Non-theist. I can be very opinionated, but I won't bite people's heads off unless they provoke me. grr…

I think the biggest problem in the world is that critical thinking has become deprioritized in favor of traditional values.

Yay, hurray for Illinois.

Okay, about me.

Lets see…I'm Casey and I'm 17 and currently living in Pennsylvania, although I hail from Illinois. As I write this I'm nervous that people will be able to find me and abduct me. Being 5'1'', I'd be pretty easy to stuff into a trunk. Okay.

I enjoy comic books, as most people here do. Sin City, The Walking Dead, Zombies feast, and um…Death Note are on my current reading list.

I love movies, all movies, and I watch all with a passion. Particularly the horror genre. The cheesy horror movies always make a boring friday night or sleepy saturday fantastic.

I have a job.

I'm really bad with money. I am an impulsive buyer. Especially on fridays, when I get paid. I also procrastinate like there's no tomorrow…or there's plenty of time to get stuff done tomorrow.

And that's about that. Yesterday I watched my friend and her brother have a race to see who could finish the most milk in a half hour (each had a gallon)(2%)My friend stopped at about a quarter in. Her brother drank three quarters and then projectile vomited. It was most entertaining.

and for the record, I thought Freux was a girl!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
subcultured at 12:08PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
some people think i'm a girl, i dunno where they got the idea…maybe cuz of my name
as this guy so pointed out http://fourthfloorcomics.comicgenesis.com/home.htm
J
Generic Human at 12:15PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
subcultured
some people think i'm a girl, i dunno where they got the idea…maybe cuz of my name

Hahah, “I'm, uh, I'm starting to suspect that Jess Calcaben could be a dude” hahah. Honestly, for the first month or so on DD I thought you were a girl. Your avatar was, and your name is…Jess. Which going with your icon, it would make sense. Then I saw your picture in the picture thread and became very confused. O_o.
roma at 12:31PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Well,I'm 22 years old female singe from Southern California. I'm currently studying to be a Civil Engineer. I love anime, my favorite is Bleach. In addition, I like reading books, drawing, writing and working out. I'm a huge health nut I like eating chease. I'm also a huge sugar freak. I love cookies an candy. I;m a fairly nice person. I don't like saying anything bad about a person…unless its true and they need to know.

Did I mention I love cookies?

Oh yeah, And I'm a Leo.
🤔
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Glarg at 12:40PM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
Im a 22 year old male. Im single AND LOOKING. I used to live in mexico, but ever since ive gotten my greencard i moved to central florida. My hobbies are watching tv, drawing, trying to learn everything I can about aliens, studiying ancient mythology so I can make a plotline for my abducted comic that involves aliens. I love Caffiene, Beef Jerky, Spicy foods, anything Alcoholic, and art. Im a clean freak, My favorite show is Heroes, Scrubs is teh smex. I like Music from the 80's and 90's, Gaiaonline, and Television.

My name is Stone, hiya.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
usedbooks at 12:41PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
I'm Vickie. Female, single (not sure if I'm looking or not; don't care one way or the other), heterosexual, 24 years old. I live in West Virginia. I'm working on my Master's Degree in Biology (should have that in about two months). Non-smoking, non-drinking (I haven't found any alcohol I like the taste of). Christian but not currently church-going (trying to find a pastor in my current town who is as laid back and liberal as the one I used to have). Strong believer in being open-minded and accepting of all, but I tend to be very predjudiced against closed-minded people of all religions and creeds.

I like reading mystery books, mostly Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes. I am 0% an artist but very much a writer. I'm always working on a few novels but I don't think I'd ever be published. I like watching classic television (TV Land type sitcoms) and some amime (Lupin III and Detective Conan are my favorites, but I also enjoy Tenchi, Get Backers, and Trigun – none of the super serious or dark anime, though). My favorite show ever of all time was Get Smart, and I'm saving up to buy the series. Most of the time, my TV is set to Comedy Central. I enjoy most stand-up, Mad TV, stuff like that. My favorite movies are adventure or intelligent comedies. I hate any type of thriller or horror movies. (I am addicted to Detective Conan and own every DVD I have found with either English dubbing or subtitles, all 10 movies and a couple hundred episodes.)

I don't listen to music or know anything about music at all, but it seems like my brother, sister, mom, and most of my peers are obsessed with it. *Shrugs* When I do listen, I will listen to nearly anything – except country music. I don't care for country.

I'm a conservationalist and an animal lover. I have 25 pet rats, which I have been breeding for 5 years (spanning 10 generations). I have cats, too. I would love to have a dog, but can't because of my landlord. I have a respect for all forms of wildlife and will go off on a rant about how they shouldn't be kept as pets (wildlife, not domestic life, which by contrast shouldn't be released into “the wild” – take Australia as a prime “why not” example) and how important it is to preserve biodiversity and not disturb habitats (down with Mountain Top Removal Mining!!). Yeah, I'm “one of those.” – Longest run-on sentence I've ever written…

I don't like it when anyone takes anything too serious for too long. I find all things in life to be highly amusing. My biggest fights ever have stemmed from the fact that my sister has no sense of humor.

I just sketch/doodle my “comic” for my roommates. It was my evil brother Dave who talked me into uploading them here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
subcultured at 1:18PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Generic Human
subcultured

Hahah, “I'm, uh, I'm starting to suspect that Jess Calcaben could be a dude” hahah. Honestly, for the first month or so on DD I thought you were a girl. Your avatar was, and your name is…Jess. Which going with your icon, it would make sense. Then I saw your picture in the picture thread and became very confused. O_o.

lol
was my avatar really a girl? i don't remember, i change it so often. i've also heard that some people thought i was a girl cuz i have a lot of drawings/photos of girls on my main site: http://www.nightgig.com/subcultured/

they even thought that was a pic of me with the angel wings ^_^

Someone
The cheesy horror movies always make a boring friday night or sleepy saturday fantastic.

have you seen “Zombie 3” classic b-film
one of these days i'm gona have to put in the funniest part of that movie on utube
J
GaryB at 4:49PM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
I'm Gary Blauvelt, Age 35; Computer Tech. I live in New Haven Connecticut where some stuff happens sometimes. I'm a sarcastic bastage, never take much seriously. I might be single, might not be. Who knows at this time. LOL, not an ending relationship, but one of them new fangled ones.

I feel ancient among all you younglings, but I pretty much fit the bill of a 20yr old. I love racing, watching racing, reading about racing. I do a lot of Kart racing and I'm looking into the Skip Barber school of racing, – but it is expensive. You really need money to get into this stuff or someone who is willing to back you if you can prove yourself. I dont like street cars, and I dont like street racing culture - I'm more into Indy, Grand Prix, NASCAR and NHRA racing.

I'm also into computer programming, used to play guitar back in the day, used to sing before my voice gave out and I sucked at it. Love horror movies and movies with an odd theme or story. Currently watching House, Lost, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica as regular shows, and of course each sunday during the season I am watching my race. I have written a few horror short stories that have been published in a few small local publications, nothing major and I have about 15 incomplete novels that I should get done.

On top of that, I draw/write comic stories and have started to review them on the boards here in the review board thingy.
Industrial
A very seriously unserious super hero comic that can be pretty serious when it wants to be. Really!
I Speak Louder Than Words
My dream journal. Probably wont float everyone's boat since its kind of esoteric and peculiar rather than a linear story about characters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Ozoneocean at 6:23PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Lots of nice friendly people.

I don't think this should be stickied though…

I am Ozone of the Oceans and I sail my pirate galley across the waves searching for rich fat merchantmen to slake my thirst for blood and booty! arrgh…
Kristen Gudsnuk at 12:51AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
GaryB
I'm Gary Blauvelt, Age 35; Computer Tech. I live in New Haven Connecticut where some stuff happens sometimes. I'm a sarcastic bastage, never take much seriously. I might be single, might not be. Who knows at this time. LOL, not an ending relationship, but one of them new fangled ones.

I feel ancient among all you younglings, but I pretty much fit the bill of a 20yr old. I love racing, watching racing, reading about racing. I do a lot of Kart racing and I'm looking into the Skip Barber school of racing, – but it is expensive. You really need money to get into this stuff or someone who is willing to back you if you can prove yourself. I dont like street cars, and I dont like street racing culture - I'm more into Indy, Grand Prix, NASCAR and NHRA racing.

I'm also into computer programming, used to play guitar back in the day, used to sing before my voice gave out and I sucked at it. Love horror movies and movies with an odd theme or story. Currently watching House, Lost, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica as regular shows, and of course each sunday during the season I am watching my race. I have written a few horror short stories that have been published in a few small local publications, nothing major and I have about 15 incomplete novels that I should get done.

On top of that, I draw/write comic stories and have started to review them on the boards here in the review board thingy.

YAYYYY Connecticut!!!!!!!!!!! omg I feel a surge of pride whenever I hear about the good old CT (ever since I went away to college, although I'm home for spring break now). You live right near me!!! I'm from Shelton!! (which is kinda small… but it's right next to Trumbull.) yayyyy!!!! ~_~!!! and I was totally just in New Haven today!!!!! I went to Hull's art store to buy fancy pens because my dog chewed all mine!! and then I went to Best Video, which is right nearby!! heeehee!!! represent!!!! !!!!! :D wow I think I OD'd on exclamation points…
*passes out*
*hugs the state of connecticut*
WingNut at 12:54AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
I'm every bodies friend. I'm kind of a friend slut like that. ;D

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 1:12AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
aww… that's surprisingly charming, in a crass way ^^
Ozoneocean at 1:30AM, March 18, 2007
(online)
I'm not really friendly at all… Just embittered and nasty because I can't finish the art on my current page.
Wingnut will just have to assume all friendliness duties from now on. Love him because he has marvellous hair and the most charming personality of any mod here.
-seriously. It's true. He even gave me valentines fan-art. Wingnut rox.
Generic Human at 6:32AM, March 18, 2007
(online)
WingNut

-W

Do you have FTDs?
GaryB at 8:29AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Kristen Gudsnuk
YAYYYY Connecticut!!!!!!!!!!! omg I feel a surge of pride whenever I hear about the good old CT (ever since I went away to college, although I'm home for spring break now). You live right near me!!! I'm from Shelton!! (which is kinda small… but it's right next to Trumbull.) yayyyy!!!! ~_~!!! and I was totally just in New Haven today!!!!! I went to Hull's art store to buy fancy pens because my dog chewed all mine!! and then I went to Best Video, which is right nearby!! heeehee!!! represent!!!! !!!!! :D wow I think I OD'd on exclamation points…
*passes out*
*hugs the state of connecticut*

Breathe….breathe…. =P

The girl I started to date lives up in Ansonia. LOL, she's not much older than you. I live pretty much on the border of New Haven/East Haven and I work in Orange. Hurray Connecticutites! And all our indescisive weather!
Industrial
A very seriously unserious super hero comic that can be pretty serious when it wants to be. Really!
I Speak Louder Than Words
My dream journal. Probably wont float everyone's boat since its kind of esoteric and peculiar rather than a linear story about characters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
WingNut at 9:29AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
I'm not really friendly at all… Just embittered and nasty because I can't finish the art on my current page.
Wingnut will just have to assume all friendliness duties from now on. Love him because he has marvellous hair and the most charming personality of any mod here.
-seriously. It's true. He even gave me valentines fan-art. Wingnut rox.

G'awwwwww! Thanks schnookums! :)

Hee hee, I forgot about that picture, it amused me immensely! :)
Donna' worry Oz, we still wuv you.

-W
Phantom Penguin at 9:47AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Well lets see.

My name is Joseph Kassabian i am 20 years old and I was born in Michigan. Then moved to Kentucky then to Germany then to Iraq then back to Kentucky. I am a full time soldier in the United States Army. I am a Tank crewmember. I enjoy drawing, playing video games, and not working whenever possible.

Lets see. Medical problems. Im full of ‘em! I’ve been shot twice the second one cost me a kidney. I have cronic back and knee pains. But i am in good shape. Im 6'2 175 pounds and and brown hair and brown eyes. I have two tatoos and am getting a third.

Lets see good things….uh
I have 3 purple hearts and a silver star with V device. Not as good as it sounds. My whole unit got the silver star for action in Fallujah (video of the battle in my signature).
I can run 2 miles in 12 minutes flat. I can speak Armenian, and a little russian and german.
I have a dark sense of humor, love animals (i have three dogs and a rat)and love reading. I love getting in politcal debates.

Oh and im single
:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Glarg at 11:17AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Nobody wants to be Glargs friend? :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
AQua_ng at 11:40AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
WingNut

-W

You're friends with other people? But I thought we had a thing!

*Sobs, and then flees.*

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
WingNut at 11:43AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Aww no! Baby! Don't be like that!

;D

-W
subcultured at 11:45AM, March 18, 2007
(online)