Media Megaforum

The Office
Erad at 5:49AM, Dec. 6, 2009
(online)
Recently my wife and I started catching episode of The Office (on G4 TV).

I had heard of the show in the past but I don't watch much TV so I never cared about it. Now that I've seen some episodes…I'm hooked! I love the humor, I love the characters, I think it's a great show!

Anyone else in love?

By the way, I'm talking about the American version, I've never watched the British version.

Cheers
Frank
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
ozoneocean at 6:08AM, Dec. 6, 2009
(online)
I saw all of the original a few years ago, but haven't seen the US one yet. -aside from a few shorts on youtube.

It's a great Idea isn't it? Very universal, I'm glad it translates so well. ^_^
Most bosses have a little bit of David Brent in them.
Do you find yourself identifying with any of the characters? -doesn't matter which version BTW.
And which character is you favourite?

I'd have to say that Gareth (British) is by far my fave character. He's glorious.
He's such a dick, so ineffectual and full of himself, but fun because he's so naive. I like him best ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Erad at 9:26AM, Dec. 6, 2009
(online)
Since I only watch the American version, I'm partial to Jim Helper.

He's the prototypical cool guy who seems to always know something more than his cohort. He's the obvious choice to identify with :P

I hope no one here feels like Dwight…HAHAHAHAHA
shirkersama at 12:09PM, Dec. 6, 2009
(online)
Absolutly my favorite show of all time. Usually I relate to Jim as well but I have my Dwight moments, and every once in a while a Michel moment as well :)
Oh and as for favorite character: Dwight, without a doubt. His reactions to Jims pranks are simply priceless.
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Hawk at 12:31PM, Dec. 6, 2009
(online)
It's one of the shows I keep up with and usually enjoy quite a bit. I kind of hate when they blow large parts of the episodes on romance/relationship stuff. But when keep the focus on office life it's pretty good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Chernobog at 6:32PM, Dec. 6, 2009
(offline)
I got into The Office a couple months ago but it's become one of my favorites.

The show is probably best when it focuses on Dwight and Jim since they have the most engaging personalities. I wish Creed, Stanley, or Kevin were more prevalent.

The show bogs a bit when it focuses on Jim's relationship with Pam. While they have a good believable chemistry, it can get a little too ‘soap opera’ sometimes. My only other complaint is most of the other female characters are more annoying than likable, such as Phyllis, Kelly, and Angela. Kelly's schtick just sucks the life out of a scene. Angela I can take in small doses, but still.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
3D Glasses at 2:06PM, Dec. 7, 2009
(online)
Jim/Dwight absolutely top my list. They just have the best moments together.

Kevin is definitely a close second. Especially at Jim & Pam's wedding, he made me cry I was laughing so hard.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
PhilWrede at 10:50AM, Dec. 8, 2009
(offline)
While the American version peaked in Season 2 (every great show seems to have a season or two where it's firing on all cylinders, and that's the season for the American Office, without question), I still love it. The cast is great, and they're clearly interested in trying to keep the audience uncomfortable and off-balance by shifting around the status quo, which I do appreciate (in a show that's all about uncomfortable comedy - not as much as the British version, admittedly - letting the audience become complacent would be a terrible thing).

While Kevin and Andy are two characters I adore, I really wish they'd find a way to bring Roy back, even for just a moment or two. I want to know if he's still digging past rock bottom, or if he's figured out a way to pull himself up.

Also, I really love Parks & Recreation. Just throwing that out there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
shirkersama at 3:49PM, Dec. 8, 2009
(online)
Someone
Also, I really love Parks & Recreation. Just throwing that out there.

It's not quite as good as The Office in my opinion but I love it as well. Andy is awesome. :)
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
machinehead at 10:36AM, Dec. 9, 2009
(online)
I recently got hooked to the Office too. I have netflix and you can watch the first 5 seasons. I decided to just watch a couple and see what the fuss was about and I ended up watching 5 whole seasons in less than a month. Luckily I have no life and wasn't missed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
Ironscarf at 3:39AM, Dec. 10, 2009
(online)
I haven't seen the US version: the original doesn't ‘blow large parts of the episodes on romance/relationship stuff’ as Hawk mentioned - there's just a sub-plot of love interest between two characters but it's only there to flesh things out a bit.
Most screen time focuses on the embarassing awfulness of David Brent, who's a brilliant comedy creation because as Ozone said, he's only about one tenth of a degree from reality. One of my previous bosses was actually much worse than Brent in many respects!
As sure as I believe there's a heaven above, Ozone,
I know there's something much more,
Something even non-believers can believe in.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
Erad at 6:03AM, Dec. 10, 2009
(online)
Although I do agree that sometimes the episode is too heavy on their romance (Jim and Pam), I have to admit two things:

1) Some of the things he does is pretty romantic. I mean, if you are thinking of picking up a lady, take a tip from Jim, he has a group of clever writers making his material!

2) My wife LOVES the romance between the two. She often say's, “Oh I love them together” and always gushes at Jim's romantic exploits.

This just means that maybe they know the romance keeps the female audience coming back. I know my wife laughs at the jokes, but I can't help but think that without the romance, she may not care as much.

The only thing on around the time The Office plays here in my area is about the same time TMZ is on…and I am SOOOOO thankful that my wife likes the Office enough to miss her garbage TMZ episodes!!!

Can I get a “hell yeah!”

Frank

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved