Debate and Discussion

The oil and food crisis
kyupol at 5:24AM, April 25, 2008
(offline)

I just picked up the paper today and it says that gas could reach up to $2.25 (CDN) a liter within 4 years or less. As the oil price increases, so would the price of food.

As a chain reaction, the automotive industry will suffer because people's priorities would shift away from buying new cars if its too expensive to maintain them.

And then the newspaper says that it is the industrialization of China and India. As more people would be buying that TATA car which is cheap, it would mean more demand of fuel therefore raising up the prices.

I'm a little bit sold on that idea but I feel there is something deeper to this crisis like a deliberate manipulation of the supply of oil and suppression of alternative fuel technologies by the global elite, in order to maintain the status quo (controlling the masses).

Because face it. People who are down and depressed and barely making ends meet are so much easier to manipulate than those who arent.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/peak_oil/index.htm

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
lothar at 5:39AM, April 25, 2008
(online)
kyupol
Because face it. People who are down and depressed and barely making ends meet are so much easier to manipulate than those who arent.
and they are even easier to manipulate when they are starving .
you hear anything about the massive seed vault they built in the arctic ? funded by ,among others, MONSANTO ! hmm , monsanto , the same company making GM crops with terminater technology so that the plants are unable to reproduce ! when these things take over and wipe out all the old varieties of food crops , who will be holding the original seeds ? the same bastards that caused the famin !!! so yea , it's by design …
the 21st century is not going to be about oil ..
It's going to be all about FOOD ! the oil is going to run out , everybody knows it . so ask yourself , if you were an evil tyrant set on maintaining your strangle hold on the people , what would you turn to ? everybody needs to eat . a control system based on food worked for the last 10,000 years leading up to the industrial revolution . it Will work for the next 10,000 years after the age of oil has passed !
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
kyupol at 9:30PM, April 25, 2008
(offline)
lothar
kyupol
you hear anything about the massive seed vault they built in the arctic ? funded by ,among others, MONSANTO ! hmm , monsanto , the same company making GM crops with terminater technology so that the plants are unable to reproduce ! when these things take over and wipe out all the old varieties of food crops , who will be holding the original seeds ? the same bastards that caused the famin !!! so yea , it's by design …
It's going to be all about FOOD ! the oil is going to run out , everybody knows it . so ask yourself , if you were an evil tyrant set on maintaining your strangle hold on the people , what would you turn to ? everybody needs to eat . a control system based on food worked for the last 10,000 years leading up to the industrial revolution . it Will work for the next 10,000 years after the age of oil has passed !

Yes. The ultimate population control.

Since man-made diseases, creating wars, putting all sorts of chemicals in their food, water, air… and encouraging abortion, euthanasia, etc… arent really doing the job properly. For some reason, these useless dirt continue to breed like flies. So filthy and disgusting!!!

So yeah. The food would be a good idea. Hopefully those idiots smarten up. If they cant feed em, why have children? Simple as that. If not, then let em suffer the consequences of their stupidity.

Its awesome seeing all those people starve cuz they cant buy food. Watch them get on their knees and beg. Pleaasseee!!! Have mercy!!! waaaahhh!!! I'll do anything just give me food!!! Their screams of pain and agony are music to my ears. I just feel… totally happy hearing their pain and suffering. It energizes me.

Human souls are delicious. As they kill each other for the sake of food, my food supply will just… keep on piling up!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

NOW UPDATING!!!
bobhhh at 10:08PM, April 25, 2008
(offline)
kyupol
lothar
kyupol

Yes. The ultimate population control.

Since man-made diseases, creating wars, putting all sorts of chemicals in their food, water, air… and encouraging abortion, euthanasia, etc… arent really doing the job properly. For some reason, these useless dirt continue to breed like flies. So filthy and disgusting!!!

So yeah. The food would be a good idea. Hopefully those idiots smarten up. If they cant feed em, why have children? Simple as that. If not, then let em suffer the consequences of their stupidity.

Its awesome seeing all those people starve cuz they cant buy food. Watch them get on their knees and beg. Pleaasseee!!! Have mercy!!! waaaahhh!!! I'll do anything just give me food!!! Their screams of pain and agony are music to my ears. I just feel… totally happy hearing their pain and suffering. It energizes me.

Human souls are delicious. As they kill each other for the sake of food, my food supply will just… keep on piling up!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

oooh. scary.

:P
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
Toshubi at 11:27PM, April 25, 2008
(online)
I think only some of the masses would be manipulated. There would be others who would become violent twords the “keepers of the food horde”. Remember the French Revolution? The king & queen thought they could control the masses with food… instead they got a date with the chopping block.
When people are hungry and desperate they become unpredictable, and thats dangerous for both the masses and the would be rulers of the world. :)
Ya know that tough material they make the “black box” on airplanes?
Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
lothar at 4:49AM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Toshubi
I think only some of the masses would be manipulated. There would be others who would become violent twords the “keepers of the food horde”. Remember the French Revolution? The king & queen thought they could control the masses with food… instead they got a date with the chopping block.
When people are hungry and desperate they become unpredictable, and thats dangerous for both the masses and the would be rulers of the world. :)

yea , xept the shotguns and shovels those angry revolutionaries would be weilding , would be no match for the cluster bombs and pain rays that their feudal lords would have to repel them with
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
bravo1102 at 7:51AM, April 26, 2008
(online)

lothar
yea , xept the shotguns and shovels those angry revolutionaries would be weilding , would be no match for the cluster bombs and pain rays that their feudal lords would have to repel them with

The Swiss Guards at the Tuileries thought the same thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Toshubi at 10:09AM, April 26, 2008
(online)
lothar
Toshubi

Don't under estimate good old fashioned booby traps, and low tech warfare. When America decided to take up the war in Vietnam, the enemy they were fighting mostly had simple assult rifles, poorly trained soldiers and home made explosives, while the U.S. troops used aircraft, trained soldiers, and other high tech, (for the time period) weaponry.

And besides nothing gets the masses all whipped up like hearing how XYZ group of people were killed by bombing or being gunned down. It doesn't take much training to become a ameture sniper.
There are plenty of pistols, rifles, and shotguns in American homes that aren't registered and bullets are easy to make or come by. A 22 long rifle round can reach out and touch you at a range of about 400 feet (unless you have “hot loaded” rounds) and if you outfit the rifle with a home made silencer, you will only hear the click of the bolt and fireing pin. In urban warfare that would be terrifying for a soldier! (And that's what it would come to BTW.) I mean, you have to come out of the tank SOME time. And as for tanks… a few well placed molitov cocktails on a tank turns it into a death trap. The crew is protected from the flames, but the heat will still begin to roast the tank crew like a tuna casarole inside, and a simple home made explosive can easily pop a track off a tank making it vulnerable to seige. And once the crew has been taken out guess what, your lowly peasants now have a tank to use against the very army that supplied it. (They're very simple to drive. And learning how to shoot is easy enough to figure out too.) As for aircraft… hide! Aircraft can only get you if they can find you or if they know exactly where you are hidding. I can go on and on, but I'm sure I've bored everyone by now.
Sorry for the long post, I'm really into urban warfare! :neenjah:
ozoneocean at 12:32PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
The French Revolution is played up with mythology about simple people rising up. That's not true. Like all real revolutions the situation was very complicated and political. You have the strength of the mob being manipulated by various forces into action and that mob creating momentum of its own and just happening to work at just the right time to achieve its result.

Like it did in Iran, Cuba, Russia, China… But it doesn't always work, in fact there's a very good chance it never will unless everything else is right and it has the support of the right forces (like France), and luck on its side. It failed miserably in Burma just recently and the momentum of Tienanmen Square in China totally fizzled.
———————

The oil and food crisis are real, but people do seem to forget that fuel was amazingly expensive in the 70's, and world famine has been a big worry for people since at least the 1950s onwards. Those things became a lot less of a worry in the 80's and 90's, but make no mistake, just as people blame bigger forces at work now and worry about it so much, they did then as well. History repeats.

The other thing is that however expensive fuel gets, people will still pay for it. That won't change. They'll use the same amount pretty much too. They always do.

There's also no mystery behind the failure of alternate fuel tech. The simple thing is that petrol fuelled cars are ubiquitous and most alternate fuel tech doesn't work that well. That makes it very hard for the alt fuel cars to find a market where they'd get the investment they need to get rid of all the bugs.
They just don't work well in a free market system, and won't until the fuel supply really does run out.
It'd be political suicide and economically extremely risky to ban petrol fueled motors, but that'd be THE best way to go forward with Alt fuels :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Toshubi at 8:26PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Odd as it may seem, I disagree and agree with you Oceanzone…
Oceanzone
The French Revolution is played up with mythology about simple people rising up. That's not true. Like all real revolutions the situation was very complicated and political. You have the strength of the mob being manipulated by various forces into action and that mob creating momentum of its own and just happening to work at just the right time to achieve its result.
I disagree with ya here about a successful revolution being nothing more than lucky timing. The poor and hungry in France met in secret many times before the revolution happened. Yes there were other political players involved, but every army, (Or would they be called “terrorists” in this day and age?) needs leaders.
An example…
After World war 1 Germany was in ruins, hungry, and bankrupt. The people were demoralized and angry. Then along came Adolph Hitler. Now I'm not going to say that his methods were good or for the benifit of all man kind, but he did manage to whip the masses up into a VERY formidable fighting force that could have dominated the planet if he had listened to his military advisors. (Thank goodness for that!) These once defeated people now had Poland, France, and the northern part of Africa occupied within about a year.
What I'm trying to show here is that if people are hungry and desperate, and if someone has the charisma to rally those people, they can do VERY impressive things. (Unfortunately those impressive things mostly tend to be death and destruction.) If I had to choose between abidding the law while watching my daughter starve and get sick, or joining a group of people to take a shipment of food by force, my choice would be to lock and load and set up sniping positions.
Hopefuly we will never have to make that choice.

Oceanzone
There's also no mystery behind the failure of alternate fuel tech. The simple thing is that petrol fuelled cars are ubiquitous and most alternate fuel tech doesn't work that well. That makes it very hard for the alt fuel cars to find a market where they'd get the investment they need to get rid of all the bugs.
They just don't work well in a free market system, and won't until the fuel supply really does run out.
It'd be political suicide and economically extremely risky to ban petrol fueled motors, but that'd be THE best way to go forward with Alt fuels.
Electric cars are capable of being reliable substitutes for internal combustion engine cars. You've heard of the Tesla Roadster haven't you? If not here's a link to it, (I think it's an amazingly nice car.)
http://www.teslamotors.com/efficiency/how_it_works.php
But the downside to this car is it's price tag. (About $110,000! OUCH!)
But when the first cars were made in America only the rich could afford them, but in time the cost to produce them came down and so did the price. I feel that the same role will play out here too.
I disagree with you coment about the technology not being good enough,(The above mentioned site should be proof enough of that.) but I DO agree strongly with you about the need to seek out an alternate fuel source. I happen to think that electric is the best way to go.
Gamers Anonymous at 9:10PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Given the massive profits oil companies are raking in, I believe they're sticking us in the ribs for as long as they can with whatever excuses they can come up with until alternative power sources come along (and be affordable on a practical level). Problem is, these same oil companies are buying up the patents and developing these alternative sources. If they can't enslave us to one, they'll find a way to enslave us to another.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
ozoneocean at 6:46AM, April 27, 2008
(online)
Toshubi
I disagree with ya here about a successful revolution being nothing more than lucky timing.
I din't say that, I said if you have a mob turning the balance then it is only because of luck, timing and careful direction in other areas by people who know what they're doing. Mobs are just plain useless for anything except mindless destruction of others and themselves.
But with organised groups on the periphery and the other factors, they can work out after a fashion. France is a horrible example, as is Germany. In germany the mob hated Hitler, it took those clever Nazis a lot to bring them around, and even then they never did anything useful as a mob. The Nazis turned them into disciplined soldiers with money funnelled off from elsewhere. That also used those funds to re-equip their armies.
The trouble is you're exaggerating the mob part in these things.

The only good examples that I can think of are Romania and the Ukraine. but even those took very careful manipulation by smarter small organised groups to make things go the right way as well as a hell of a lot of good luck and timing.
Toshubi
Electric cars are capable of being reliable substitutes for internal combustion engine cars.
Not quite. You've missed my point. how is a $110,000 car supposed to compete against petrol fuelled cars that can be bought ANYWHERE for a fraction of that cost? Their fuel is going up in price but it's easy to come by with service stations everywhere, repair is many times cheaper as well. It's as I say: Alt Fuel cars just aren't economic in this climate and won't be (as they are) unless fuel runs out or petrol engines are banned or even taxed into unviability so that the other cars can actually compete.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Toshubi at 3:39PM, April 27, 2008
(online)
Oceanzone
Not quite. You've missed my point. how is a $110,000 car supposed to compete against petrol fuelled cars that can be bought ANYWHERE for a fraction of that cost?

Did you not read the rest of the paragraph?

Toshubi
But when the first cars were made in America only the rich could afford them, but in time the cost to produce them came down and so did the price. I feel that the same role will play out here too.

Oceanzone
Their fuel is going up in price but it's easy to come by with service stations everywhere, repair is many times cheaper as well.
You didn't really look at the web site I provided did you?
An internal combustion engine is by far much more costly to maintain and has more moving parts to wear out.
Here are the things you have to replace or change out on a internal combustion engine vehicle regardless of fuel type. (Along with thier recommended time between changes.)
Engine oil (Changed every 3000 miles)
Transmission oil (Changed every 10,000 miles)
Gear oil (Typicaly add as needed, but some recomend changing at 50,000 miles.)
Coolant (Changed once a year)
Grease (Lube at time of engine oil change.)
Air filter (Typicaly once a year, or earlier depending on how dusty the enviroment is you're driving in.)
Oil filter (At time of engine oil change.)
Fuel filter (Once a year.)
PVC valve (As needed.)
Spark plugs, (Or glow plugs if it's diesel) (Replace as needed.)
Timing belt (Depends on manufacture, but it averages around 75,000 miles. Give or take 20,000.)
Oxygen sensors (Change as needed)
Muffler (Change as needed)
Fluid seals (Change out when failure occurs)

Now lets take a look at the electric vehicle…
Grease for the chassis (Every 3000 miles) thats it.

It's a no brainer which is cheaper to maintain. Some of these parts that require changing can't be done at your local lube shop, (Timing belt, Oxygen sensor, Muffler, and Fluid seals.) If you're mechanicly inclined and have the tools and time you can do it yourself, (Like me.) but chances are most people don't.

Ah but you were saying that repairs would be expensive. You couldn't be more wrong there. An electric motor is incredibly simple compared to a internal combustion engine. There's oh so much that can go wrong in a internal combustion engine. Pistons, crank shafts, timing devices, fluid pumps (Related to the engine), ignition systems, seals (Both air and fluid), fuel delivery systems, air intake systems, ect. and if any ONE of these systems fail or is out of tune, the performance of the engine will suffer, (Or just won't work at all.) The most expensive part of repair is diagnosis. (I should know, I have a degree in auto mechanics and worked as a mechanic for a few years.)
And electric motor has considerably less going on inside it, and if you want to know if the engine has a problem just do a few simple resistance tests or full field tests. (Simular to testing a starter or altenator.) All an electric motor is is just wire windings and magnets. Not a whole lot to check.

As for your “service stations everywhere” argument… I don't know of ANY home in America that doesn't have an electrical outlet. (Accept maybe the amish.) Solar cells can charge up the batteries anywhere. (As long as there's light.) So you drive to work and park your car in the sun, that's an 8 hour charge right there.

The Tesla Roadster is only one of several modles of electric car out there. I use it as an example mostly because it looks like a “normal” car and people tend to associate better with familliar looking things. But if you do want to go off the price issue, there are electric cars that are around $30,000. (The average cost of a car in the market today. Here are a few…
http://www.aptera.com/details.php
http://www.zenncars.com/
http://www.electroauto.com/ (These guys turn ordanary cars into electric cars.)

Now lets talk about Germany a bit.
(I'm no historian, this is just what I know from various History Channel shows on the Nazis. I'm not an expet and never claim to be.)

Oceanzone
In germany the mob hated Hitler, it took those clever Nazis a lot to bring them around, and even then they never did anything useful as a mob. The Nazis turned them into disciplined soldiers with money funnelled off from elsewhere. That also used those funds to re-equip their armies.
If they all hated Hitler so much, then how did he rise to power? If the majority of the people didn't like him or support him he would have never made it into power. He had to get the favor of the masses enable to even start the Nazis. (If Hitler didn't form the Nazis then please correct me.) Thier is always a group of people who don't like whoever is in power. I think you're exaggerating the “people who favored, to people who didn't favor” ratio when it comes to Hitler. (If you've got proof I'd love to see it. Seriously I would, because that would really make me re-think this.)

Also, I've never claimed that a mob is an organized group of people. I've use the word “masses”, as in the mass majority. There is a diffrence between a mindless mob of people and a mass of people. (Just for clarification.)
kyupol at 6:41AM, May 11, 2008
(offline)
something related to this issue:

FOOD WARS ARE COMING, PREPARE!

Bro. Erle Frayne D. Argonza

Food wars are coming, prepare for the contingencies! This is now a visible possibility, so all those enthused development stakeholders and peace-builders better insert an extra agendum on their ‘key result areas’.

Given the so many sources of conflict that are natural resources related, the latest ones being the ‘water wars’, it is no longer a remote possibility that food wars will erupt in some ‘hot soup spots’ in the world. Such hot spots are not those ones the world knows today (e.g. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Korean Peninsula, Taiwan-China strait) that can be potential starting points for great wars. But somehow, the areas and the food wars coming can ‘cross-cut’ the issues involving conflicts in the hot spots we know.

The scenario would be as follows:

· A convergence of volatilities in the global market would, at one conjuncture, lead to simultaneous price increases in food, oil/energy, metals, utilities. Hoarding then takes place at alarmingly uncontrollable levels. Shockingly, the old ‘policy tools’ to control prices and hoarding won’t work.

· Massive urban riots and upheavals in the affected rural areas take place. New militia groups will rise almost overnight, challenging both national armies and established warlord and rebel groups where these are found.

· Noticing that their own food, energy, base metal stocks are near or pass the critical points, affected states will then turn blind eye to the militias. Tying up with underworld for arms and information, the militias would then conduct quick eco-scan of neighboring countries that are relatively porous for food ransack operations. Key areas would be mapped out as professionally as possible.

· Noticing their own relative porosity, the panic response of affected food supplier states would be to plug their borders as quickly as they can before hothead militias come. They may do panic last-level talks with the state leaders of neighboring countries, who in turn will simply claim that they do not control warlord/militia groups at all. They may send token protection groups at the border.

· Anticipating such moves, the militias, forming cross-country alliances, will mount a coordinated surprise attack. Invasive entries will be done from around 5-6 country origins, using both dawn and dusk attacks. Simultaneous attacks via air, sea, land, rivers & lakes will be mounted on all fronts.

· Effectively unable to prevent the coordinated invasion, the national army/police of the affected state will watch in horror as the rapid moving invaders coalesce with internal players (‘dog of wars’ supplied by local mafia or related groups) to open and ransack warehouses.

· The invaders will then retreat back to their base origins as quick as they’ve entered the porous state. Hot pursuit is simply nil, save for a few sporadic gunfights with retreating forces.

· The affected state will then demand for indemnification or equivalent payment from the militias’ respective states, none of which may come at all. Given the already burgeoning subsidies by states to shore up domestic supplies and prevent further civil unrest due to the crisis, the states will simply have no resource for indemnification. To print more money for indemnification would be to risk hyper-inflation on top of an already inflationary environment.

· With hardly any sincere face-saving moves by the militias’ states, the affected state may then be provoked into a ‘call to arms’ and do some punitive attacks on some quick neighbors. It can also unleash the firepower of rebel groups from the ransacking countries that are based in its territory, arm these groups and make them lead punitive attacks.

· Unless cooler heads prevail in the region, a regional conflagration could ensue, hence widening the latitudes of the conflict. The original ‘hot soup’ for the stomach then turns to a ‘hot caldron’ of total war. Multilateral efforts may fail for a time, as the conflicts happen in at least three (3) world regions.

Partners in development and peace, this scenario can no longer be ignored today. Let us all prepare for the eventuality. If it can be stopped by cutting off the bud before it blooms, whatever that may take, then let’s better do it as soon as we can. Time is now against us, I believe, as events are moving so fast they happen as soon as we forecast them, like the formation of the food cartels.

If there would still be time to constitute strategic studies teams that can eco-scan the planet and identify possible ‘hot soup spots’, this would be a welcome move. Failing to recognize the evolving contingency, let’s not get shocked at all when the paramilitary ‘dogs of war’ will be at the gates of the bereaved states. They deserve some ‘hot soup’ after all, we may surmise.

God bless the world. :(

You know the phrase called “ORDER OUT OF CHAOS”
NOW UPDATING!!!
bravo1102 at 9:21AM, May 11, 2008
(online)
Three words: New World Order.

The crisis will reach worldwide proportions and allow some group to come to the fore, offer a solution if we all do as they say.

Good grief did I just propose this was leading to the realization of a bogus conspiracy theory?

Except the chances for someone grabbing power are just too good.

If a gov't gets really ruthless with mob control you won't see any problems. Napoleon and his “whiff of grapeshot”, the Paris Commune of 1871 and once the Gettysburg veterans arrived to quell the New York Draft riots…they all proved that. With water cannon and modern riot gear and tanks and specialized riot vehicles (the Isralis have some wonderful vehicles, put MGs everywhere, no one ever gets close enough)not to mention AC-130s. Get ruthless and the crowds won't stand a chance.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
mapaghimagsik at 6:14PM, May 11, 2008
(offline)
Markets tend to have an elastic quality to them without intervention. There was a huge pull on rice and prices went up even when supply was meeting demand. The market definitely has an emotional piece to it.

Water and food issues are very real, and people tend to re-act rather than pro-act against them. Sane food and energy policies can lessen the blow of the coming shortages. Markets will also react in ways that will work too, but tend to oscillate (go from one extreme to the other). So the current issues we're seeing short term is the market being bi-polar.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
kyupol at 5:13PM, May 13, 2008
(offline)
I sure hope this crisis fuels enough anger from the world population. In order to put more pressure on government and corporations, to invest more on alternative technology.

Then… the price of gas will drop.

NOW UPDATING!!!
mapaghimagsik at 8:26PM, May 13, 2008
(offline)
I'll be happy if rising gas prices encourages more investment, rather than hoping for some sort of uprising. Usually uprisings over gas prices are uprisings of poor people. Uprisings of poor people tend to have a high body count.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
kyupol at 9:08AM, May 26, 2008
(offline)
Video: MONSANTO wants to PATENT PIGS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ouf_gmA5o

How dare these bastards…
NOW UPDATING!!!
bravo1102 at 4:12PM, May 26, 2008
(online)
Well they've already patented bacteria. I remember reading about that in 1980s. I just hope it's inferred that I own the patent to my own genetic sequence.

Talk about the ultimate control over a population, slavery taken to the next level; they own your genes.

kyupol why are you pointing this stuff out? Now I want to lock myself up in a survivalist compound somewhere in Colorado surrounded with razor wire and machine guns.

*Secret to the Nazi success: demobilized German veterans. Look at the films where the cops are often supporting the brown shirts because they knew each other in the trenches. The soldiers were sent home often with all their equipment including rifles.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved