Debate and Discussion

The Pit Bull Debate.
Ladyknight17 at 7:10AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
Your completely right…and I apologize. I get reallllllly angry when I hear comparisons of any kind made between a living thing and an animal. It's a touchy comparison for me. You're completely right…I did over react. And for that I am sorry.

But couldn't better educating people in general reduce the risk your speaking of? Children are target for obvious reasons. They aren't taught to respect them at an early age. Could it possibly help to simply educate people better instead of removing the breed? I just can't justify it in my mind to completely rid the earth of yet another animal when there are other solutions available.
Tired of messing with a banner. Just visit the comic at…

www.drunkduck.com/red_poems/
Thanks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
TnTComic at 7:13AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
I'm going to stereotype here, agree/disagree as you will.

The person most likely to get a pit is the type of person least likely to educate themselves on its proper handling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
Ladyknight17 at 7:29AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
Thats why I'm saying the education should be mandatory before someone is allowed to own one. They should have to take a test. Earn a permit. And be held to a strict code of conduct regarding how the dog is raised, contained, and dealt with in general.

Thanks.
TnTComic at 7:34AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
I feel kind of silly, but I just remembered that I owned a Pit Bull for about a month. The wife and I went to the pound and found the sweetest little pooch with a case of kennel cough. We brought “Mila” home and nursed her back to health in a week or two. She went from sweet to a hellion. Tore the carpet completely off the floor in the back porch. Literally. Came home, carpet in a pile.
Ladyknight17 at 7:47AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
LOL.

Actually had something similar happen with a husky/German mix. Beautiful, loving animal at first. Came home one day…and and she'd broke the gate keeping her in the kitchen, destroyed our couch, and chewed up half our movies, shoes, and anything else not nailed down. I swear that dog had a cast iron stomach.

What did you end up doing with Mila? If I may ask.

Thanks.
TnTComic at 7:51AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Returned her to the pound.
Aurora Moon at 12:40PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Chewing up the humans' stuff is often a sign of boredom and their need for human company. They will often chew up anything that smells like their human(s). It's also a way where they learn about various objects, since they learn though their nose and mouth.

To prevent such things, giving them a room free of chew-able objects (other than dog toys), such as a clean basement or a clean garage is one good way. Giving them chew toys is a good step on stopping the destructive chewing too.

Dogs, and as everyone knows, puppies; frequently have problems with destructive chewing. Dogs learn about their environment predominantly through their nose and mouth. Not surprisingly, chewing is a normal part of a dog's behavior. This may be problematic, however, when the chewing is persistent or includes items such as furniture, rugs, and clothing.

There are a number of steps that may be taken to modify a dog's behavior while protecting your property. Giving your dog a safe place free of chew-able items (other than dog toys) where he can stay when unsupervised is a good first step. This is particularly helpful for puppies needing time to learn appropriate behavior. This place may be part of a clean basement or a dog crate. In addition to helping control chewing, crate training is good for teaching general obedience. Puppy proofing your home should be considered, if your dog has a chewing problem. This entails the removal of items (e.g. shoes and rugs) that may be easily chewed. Exposed wires should be identified and either be removed or taped down, if they present a potential hazard.

Since dogs need to chew, they should have appropriate toys. Destructive chewers only need a few of these toys. Too many toys will make it difficult for them to discern the difference between items that are Okay to chew and those that are not. Don't give your dog old shoes, clothes or socks to chew because they will likely think it appropriate to chew new shoes, socks and clothes too. There are a few things to keep in mind when selecting a toy for a chronic chewer. First the toy should be durable and safe. Plush or squeaky toys are fine for most dogs, but chewers will often destroy these toys posing a potential health problem if they ingest the squeaker or other part of the toy. Hard rubber toys are often a good choice. They are fun, durable, and easy to clean.

One reason for excessive chewing is a lack of exercise or attention. Dogs are extremely social animals and if lonely will often chew due to anxiety. They may also chew if they have pent up energy. Certain dogs such as sporting and herding dogs are prone to chewing problems because they need more exercise than other dogs. If loneliness or excessive energy is a problem for your dog, try playing with your dog more often. If this is not possible, consider doggy day care, or a dog walker to help keep your dog active during the day.

Additional ways to keep your dog from chewing other objects includes spraying them with bitter apple or a hot sauce. Bitter apple works well for wooden items. You may also cover these items or areas with foil or a thick plastic. Avoid disciplining your dog after the fact. If you return home and find destruction, disciplining your dog will only be effective if you catch him in the act. On the other hand, remember to praise your dog for chewing on the appropriate toys. Using a treat or flavor may help to encourage your dog to chew that toy. Proper training will also help control destructive chewing. Teaching your dog the “leave it” command is important. If these steps don't help to curb your dog's chewing problem you may want to consult a trainer or behaviorist.

http://www.doctordog.com/drdognewsletter/chew.html

See? rather than blindly abandon/destroy a dog, education about a dog is key when you want the dog to be a “good dog”. doing everything wrong, only leads to disaster.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
TnTComic at 5:15AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
See? rather than blindly abandon/destroy a dog, education about a dog is key when you want the dog to be a “good dog”. doing everything wrong, only leads to disaster.

Thanks, thanks for that.

Mila ignored the massive pile of chew toys at every turn, opting instead to drag recliners across the living room and removing the carpet from the floor. As for attention, when it was time to play outside, she ran into the woods, only to return hours later. She was a bad dog. No amount of patience ever made a dent.
Ladyknight17 at 5:57AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
Sound like in that case she was in serious need a some who's a trainer to own her. I don't think it was just the dog or just you. It seems like things just didn't work out.

Oh, and I only asked out of curiosity. I wasn't accusing you of anything Tntcomic…my husband pointed out LATER (of course) that it could come off that way so to be careful. LOL.

As for our willful dog, a farmer bought her. He didn't have any children, he did have a huge fenced in yard, and an empty barn with other dogs to play in. He called later to let us know she had adjusted fine, and was getting along great. I was happy he called.

I really think that in most cases if your going to get a dog, you should get one from the pound. Poor things. Sometimes its just a case of finding the right owner. I've bought all my pets there. We have both a “kill” and “no kill” animal shelter here. In my cats cast they called me because she was born in the “kill”, and if someone didn't take her soon she would have to be put down. My family was notorious for taking in these animals. So…I bought her. That was…oh my….a good 6 years ago. She's still with me.

So while this is off topic, I think it helps if the pet and owner have compatible personalities. Not saying we should have a pet version of eharmony though…LOL. That would be a little weird.

Thanks.
Ladyknight17 at 6:03AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
bobhhh
TnTComic
I'm going to stereotype here, agree/disagree as you will.

The person most likely to get a pit is the type of person least likely to educate themselves on its proper handling.

unfortunately too true.

And that's my point. It's why there should be the restrictions and permits. So people like that can't own one, and if they REALLLY want to, they HAVE to be educated. No guarantee they'll use it. But they'll have no excuse if it does go bad, and the law would have a better grip on the situation, and be in a position to better exercise stricter punishment to offenders. If forces them to be accountable. Strips them of any excuses. And could make it so they never own another Pit Bull again.

See everyone?

Thanks.
TnTComic at 6:23AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
This gets back to why I brought up gun control.

Our society judges some things to be too dangerous because of the damage they can cause. We say people can have a shotgun, but a machine gun is too dangerous. They don't care that people can be educated, they say the potential for abuse is too great.

So why doesn't this logic apply to dogs, or any other pet ownership for that matter? I only ask because this question is what the Pit proponents usually dodge, opting instead to say that Pits can be kind and loving dogs. Of course they can. But the damage they are capable of causing is the issue. If a pomeranian attacks, its not going to do much damage. A .22, if you will. But if a pit attacks, its an AK-47. Every pit has the potential to devastate. Is that something you want next door? Worst case scenario time, folks. Suppose you get new neighbors. The type that are abusive to their pitbull. And you have children. That's a ticking bomb. I see it the same as if my neighbors were gun lovers with drinking problems.
mapaghimagsik at 7:46AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
What a coincidence! All my neighbors are pit bulls with guns and drinking problems.

If I'm lucky, they'll shoot each other.

We have licenses to drive, why not to handle dangerous animals?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
TnTComic at 11:09AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
I don't know, you won't hear me argue with that.
Ladyknight17 at 9:16PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
This gets back to why I brought up gun control.

Our society judges some things to be too dangerous because of the damage they can cause. We say people can have a shotgun, but a machine gun is too dangerous. They don't care that people can be educated, they say the potential for abuse is too great.

So why doesn't this logic apply to dogs, or any other pet ownership for that matter? I only ask because this question is what the Pit proponents usually dodge, opting instead to say that Pits can be kind and loving dogs. Of course they can. But the damage they are capable of causing is the issue. If a pomeranian attacks, its not going to do much damage. A .22, if you will. But if a pit attacks, its an AK-47. Every pit has the potential to devastate. Is that something you want next door? Worst case scenario time, folks. Suppose you get new neighbors. The type that are abusive to their pitbull. And you have children. That's a ticking bomb. I see it the same as if my neighbors were gun lovers with drinking problems.

Thats what I've been saying! Get a license to have a dangerous animal. Keep it properly stored. So on and so forth.

Again…I give. At this point I'm just repeating myself a lot. LOL.

Thanks.
Ladyknight17 at 9:17PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
TnTComic

You've been arguing it with me the whole time.

Thanks.
mapaghimagsik at 11:07AM, Dec. 6, 2007
(offline)
Its called “vehement agreement”

Just think. This whole conversation could have saved Sigfried and Roy. Or, “They're carnivores, not lawn ornaments!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Ladyknight17 at 6:21AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(online)
mapaghimagsik
Its called “vehement agreement”

Just think. This whole conversation could have saved Sigfried and Roy. Or, “They're carnivores, not lawn ornaments!”

Nothing could help Sigfried and Roy. LOL.

Thanks.
TnTComic at 6:52AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Ladyknight17
TnTComic

I have? News to me.
Ladyknight17 at 5:23AM, Dec. 11, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
Ladyknight17
TnTComic

I have? News to me.

*more banging of head on desk*

Thanks.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved