Media Megaforum

The Princess and the Frog: your predictions
ozoneocean at 11:33PM, May 29, 2009
(online)
Hawk
is like asking why Donald isn't anatomically correct.
You're right, we don't care whether Donald has a sound bone structure.

We DO care however, about the reason why he doesn't wear pants when all the rest of the characters seem to… And WHY is Goofy a semi intelligent creature walking upright, while Pluto who is also a dog, is just a dog?

These are long standing questions… balls of mystery wrapped in enigmas. We need to get Kyupol on this conspiracy A.S.A.P.!!!!!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
skoolmunkee at 3:35AM, May 30, 2009
(online)
Yeah well I prefer Warner Brothers anyway! >:[
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
ozoneocean at 4:07AM, May 30, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
Yeah well I prefer Warner Brothers anyway! >:[
As any sane person should.

TheMidge28 at 4:58AM, May 30, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Hawk
is like asking why Donald isn't anatomically correct.
You're right, we don't care whether Donald has a sound bone structure.

We DO care however, about the reason why he doesn't wear pants when all the rest of the characters seem to… And WHY is Goofy a semi intelligent creature walking upright, while Pluto who is also a dog, is just a dog?

These are long standing questions… balls of mystery wrapped in enigmas. We need to get Kyupol on this conspiracy A.S.A.P.!!!!!

Balls!
tee-hee!

lefarce
TheMidge28
Esmeralda actually is part of Disney's Whores, along with Jessica Rabbit, Alice, Jane, and its hard to believe, Tinkerbell.

And I would argue that makes them better than the Disney princesses.

No arguement there.
I think everyone agrees “whores rock!”, even the special-needs kid I knew when I was in grade school who love to eat mayo.
I even had a pants tent over Jessica Rabbit at that wee age!

But as Hawk said Mulan and Poca-hieney, although at times have been considered a Disney Princess, they don't have the popularity that the “Elite Princess 6” have.
Plus I like boobs.
Mulan has none, that's why she can pass off as a guy in the army!
wait a minute…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
ParkerFarker at 11:54AM, May 30, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Also, “traditional 2D animation” is a myth. No one works the way they first started to in the 1900's, all that stuff is aided by computer tools, and even when it's not it's still a far cry from the early techniques they used to use. The whole distinction is really just superficial nonsense.

no one… except this guy?

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
lefarce at 2:15PM, May 30, 2009
(online)
Someone
No arguement there.
I think everyone agrees “whores rock!”, even the special-needs kid I knew when I was in grade school who love to eat mayo.
I even had a pants tent over Jessica Rabbit at that wee age!

We went to school together?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
ozoneocean at 1:18AM, May 31, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
ozoneocean
Also, “traditional 2D animation” is a myth. No one works the way they first started to in the 1900's, all that stuff is aided by computer tools, and even when it's not it's still a far cry from the early techniques they used to use. The whole distinction is really just superficial nonsense.
no one… except this guy?
That's not traditional. he's using video for a start :)

———
Speaking of good animation… 2D if you will, although that term isn't even exist for animation a few years ago, I saw Persepolis on DVD last night. That was based off a graphic novel about the artist's life. GREAT film :)
That's from 2007.

This was a cool scene

lefarce at 10:11AM, May 31, 2009
(online)
I'm sure maybe 10 user (20 tops) actually know what Persepolis is before your post.

And that makes me sad.

NickGuy at 11:34AM, May 31, 2009
(online)
I cant believe theres even an argument about what qualifies a disney princess. you guys need your balls revoked.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Hawk at 2:54PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
I'm not as sold on Persepolis as a lot of other people are. I thought it had a creative and unique art style, but it didn't leave any kind of an impression on me. It felt like it was trying to have a political message, but then it just wandered. I won't say I didn't like it, but the film's impact was minimal to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
TheMidge28 at 4:44PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
NickGuy
I cant believe theres even an argument about what qualifies a disney princess. you guys need your balls revoked.

Speaking of balls…
Mine are on back-order.

So how about those Disney Faeries?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
mlai at 6:54PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
TheMidge28
So how about those Disney Faeries?
Well they're either 9 years old, or 90 years old. Take your pick.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
ozoneocean at 11:33PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
Hawk
I'm not as sold on Persepolis as a lot of other people are. I thought it had a creative and unique art style, but it didn't leave any kind of an impression on me. It felt like it was trying to have a political message, but then it just wandered.
I don't think there's a political message in there. It seemed to wonder because it was autobiographical. It was the story and series of impressions that made up Marjane Satrapi's life up to her second exodus from Iran.

I found it really interesting because it showed an insider's view of what happened in that part of the world during that time. To many people Iranians are just like what those characters in the film said to her: savages, barbarians. It put a human face on that experience of post-revolutionary Iran in a very pleasant and non-offensive way. In that, I thought it was quite successful. :)

Product Placement at 11:40PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
We DO care however, about the reason why he doesn't wear pants when all the rest of the characters seem to…
What I always wondered, is why does he wrap a towel around his waist when he pulls his shirt off before taking a shower? Also, when someone takes his towel, he hides his shame… which happens to be located around at his hip.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
lastcall at 4:11AM, June 1, 2009
(offline)
lefarce
I'm sure maybe 10 user (20 tops) actually know what Persepolis is before your post.

And that makes me sad.

I've been wanting to see Persepolis for quite awhile now. Hoping it hits iTunes soon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Product Placement at 6:54AM, June 1, 2009
(online)
Since you guys are still talking about Persepolis I guess I can say that I agree with Oz with his assessment about the story. And that I was one of those 10 users who'd seen that movie before he posted it here. :Ð

But truly I found the whole experience of seeing the history of Iran from the perspective of someone who actually experienced it to be refreshing. Oh and I loved the part when she got a boyfriend, the before and after part that is.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
lefarce at 10:35AM, June 1, 2009
(online)
NickGuy

One of us can man the scissors and the other can handle the bag. Time to revoke some nuts, mhm!

korosu at 1:58PM, June 1, 2009
(online)
Hawk
I'm not as sold on Persepolis as a lot of other people are. I thought it had a creative and unique art style, but it didn't leave any kind of an impression on me. It felt like it was trying to have a political message, but then it just wandered. I won't say I didn't like it, but the film's impact was minimal to me.
Agreed. I was so excited to see it, but I was actually a bit disappointed when it was over. I've never read the graphic novels so I didn't quite know what to expect, and even though it was only 96 minutes long, it felt long to me. I don't want to say that it's because of the minimalist animation (which of course reflects the style of the comics), but that might actually be why.

But I digress. I don't mean to talk so far off-topic…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Hyena H_ll at 5:03AM, June 3, 2009
(online)
I'm stoked that it's set in New Orleans.

I'm waiting to see how accurate their portrayal of the city is, or if they do silly stuff like havin' folks running down Bourbon, and straight into one of the St. Louis Cemeteries. Or that have buildings with basements. >:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Druchii at 6:31AM, June 4, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
korosu
Product Placement
isn't it easier now to make cartoons in 3D rather then 2D?
Well, it's definitely not “cheap”, but as compared to traditional cel animation, it's definitely less expensive. Of course, these days, I'm pretty sure that most of 2D animations are done digitally as well, to some degree. (But correct me if I'm wrong.)
Cell animation or digital, they still have to draw out every movement that their characters make.

While it's considerably harder to make a proper 3D model of a character, the work is done as soon as he's ready. After that they can just set him up to do the movements and poses that they want him to portray.

That is at least my theory. If someone around has a better idea how 3D animation works, please correct me.

The bug that often makes 3D rendering harder to mess with, is a lot of times the models don't want to do what you WANT them to do. That's the reason that a lot of the time you'll animate with greyscale simplified models (pre-viz)WAY before you ever spend the time to render with texture mapped areas or with lighting put in. And sometimes, depending on the controls you've put in place for the face/hand/body animation, you may not get as fluid or as much control over a nuance you want to play out. So you spend time adding that back in.

And I don't believe that “3D” animation is any cheaper in process than traditional. If anything, you have far more digital artists working on elements of the same scene than you would have on one scene from a more cel based animation style. Mind you though, I am talking about 2D animated films prior to the 80's really. 3D elements have been in use since Disney's “the Great Mouse Detective”, but those were more stark and geometric simplistic animations.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Atom Apple at 3:41PM, June 18, 2009
(online)
The reason you've never heard of a princess in New Orleans is because there isn't. She isn't one. The frog is the prince and has a ridiculously foreign accent. If she marries him she's a princess. That's how it always works in these things, some lady marries a prince and also her mother is dead.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
lastcall at 5:37AM, June 19, 2009
(offline)
Hyena H_ll
I'm stoked that it's set in New Orleans.

I'm waiting to see how accurate their portrayal of the city is, or if they do silly stuff like havin' folks running down Bourbon, and straight into one of the St. Louis Cemeteries. Or that have buildings with basements. >:)

Well I can tell you that, according to my husband (who is from the New Orleans area), that bloated firefly who speaks Cajun is way off. He actually got a little offended when he saw the firefly; it didn't sound Cajun at all to him.

If I see a Cafe du Monde somewhere in the movie I will give it five stars. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
magickmaker at 10:28PM, June 19, 2009
(offline)
I really liked the Persepolis graphic novels and I've heard mixed things about the movie, so I've been avoiding it.

I'm glad they have a movie about a black “princess”. (I think Disney goes for a whole ‘royal in heart’ thing, but I do love the debutante as an alternative idea.) I'm a little surprised more people aren't irrationally angry that she gets turned into an animal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Hawk at 11:49AM, June 20, 2009
(online)
magickmaker
I really liked the Persepolis graphic novels and I've heard mixed things about the movie, so I've been avoiding it.

Definitely don't avoid it. It wasn't a life-changing film for me, but I did think it was good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 12:29PM, June 20, 2009
(online)
I only really liked Toy Story, and Lion King. Those, in my opinion are the two best. Toy Story 2 was good as well.

I think this one may turn out to be okay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
ttyler at 6:50AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
The trailer looks great. Character designs look great. I'm sure that it'll have the same ol' Disney formula,…but it has a good director, and is the return of classic animation, so yeah, i'LL be there…..it's gotta be better than this summers movie dreck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved