Debate and Discussion

The pursuit of Slack-liness!
Ryan_Scott at 5:24PM, April 16, 2009
(online)
You'll excuse me if I speak less than eloquently and make little to no sense… it's my prefered way of doing things.

This has been on my mind alot of late (As I've been writing and illustrating my new comic) and I'm finding it kind of frightening the level of control those ‘above us’ have over our lives.

My employers, bless there souls, automatically assume first dibs over my time… more important than time with my child even. This sounds extreme but it is the norm in our society.

The government, fuck their mothers, automatically assumes first dibs over my pay packet… They take whatever they feel is their fair cut of the money that I work damn hard for.

Is this madness? Does my employer OWN my time, or do they just rent it far too cheaply? Should I have to pay my government for the right to exist within the country to which i was born?

At which point do I say enough is enough and become a reclusive high country hermit and take pot shots at trespassers with an old .303 and become that crazy old guy? Which of us is really crazy?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
Chernobog at 7:17PM, April 16, 2009
(offline)
Well, as my brother's dad used to tell me quite often, “There's always going to be someone bigger and better than you.”
Also, the only certainties in our lives are death and taxes.

As for employers, some are more akin to being a dick than others. Most of my jobs have had useless piles of blubber calling themselves management, but any kind of system design is likely to get contrived and self justifying after a time, I suppose. Thing is with employers, you entered into a contract of responsibility with them. It's up to you to honor that responsibility, slack and hope notices, or just ship out for greener pastures. You have to expect the powers that be make more than they're individually worth most of time and massage their feet on anyone lower than them. A business is also there to sustain itself. If everyone likes their checks, that's what needs to be done.

There's exceptions, but power and people are two things easily corrupted when put together. It takes a real steady hand to do otherwise. I'll avoid quoting Stan Lee at this point. :)

As for the government, *shrug*. I'm not one for politics or systems. Waste of time and focus, usually, or so goes my thinking. That said, nothing wrong with understanding either or reading between the lines, both in the present and historically.

I look at it like this. I live in the age I'm born in. Otherwise, I have very little to do with it beyond the nigh inevitable transient parts. Someone's in control/power somewhere doing something to or for someone else.

The wind blows. The volcanos belch ash and fire. Water turns to ice, vapor, and liquid again. Somewhere, an ‘I LIKE IKE’ button is found buried. The significance of it is made up, assumed, or just irrelevant.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
isukun at 1:07AM, April 17, 2009
(online)
Should I have to pay my government for the right to exist within the country to which i was born?

That isn't what you pay taxes for. You're perfectly welcome to exist within this country without paying taxes, just don't expect to get the multitude of benefits you apparently already take for granted. Generally the government doesn't just pocket your money and tax you for shits and giggles. There is a pretty long list of benefits you probably take advantage of every day of your life which are paid for with your tax money.

As for your job, yes, your employer does have priority over your family. You work to provide for you family, so the general standard of life your family has is going to be dependent on your ability to hold a job. What's more important to you, being able to see your kid's baseball game or being able to provide them with the necessities to build a brighter future for themselves? Med school or little league? Honestly, I think the choice is pretty obvious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ozoneocean at 3:37AM, April 17, 2009
(online)
Ryan_Scott
My employers, bless there souls, automatically assume first dibs over my time… more important than time with my child even. This sounds extreme but it is the norm in our society.
My attitude has always been that I come first. I'll say goodbye to a job rather than have to compromise something of myself.

In life you have to make sacrifices to get ahead occasionally. And you have to work out what things are worth sacrificing… My work is less important than me and the things I want. My own time is more valuable.

I'm luckier than a lot of others though in that I manage money well so I won't be in strife if I do that (but even if I was it wouldn't change the equation). It's also not too hard for me to find work.

It's always good to get one's priorities in order… - during “work time” I do my employer's bidding, that's my part of the bargain for getting paid to do the work, outside of that designated time, there is no bargin.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
DMH at 6:47AM, April 17, 2009
(offline)
Well your employer is the one who gave you the money in the first place. Without him supplying your income, you would not be able to live. Therefore, he does deserve the right to ask you for more time. But if you are unhappy with this, why don't you just ask him to cut back your hours? Or what if you take your work home? (If you can)

As for the government, well we may bitch and complain, but without them who would we have to help us be safe and secure? And how can they do that job without money?

It's all a part of living in these societies. Don't like it, see what you need to do to form a country where you don't have to do these things. And when you know what to do, I'll head over there and help you out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
imshard at 10:07AM, April 17, 2009
(online)
Time management and responsibilities. Yikes.
When it comes to your employer do not forget that YOU chose to work for them. If you don't agree with the way they do business you are free to start your own company and run it the way you see fit, or simply find a different employer who is more understanding of your personal needs. Consider it an exchange of your time for their money, and if you don't think they pay enough I'm sure you can ask for a raise.

Government, and taxes. urgh. That's another nightmare altogether. Think of it as a fee for the services and infrastructure you use daily. The only time you should complain about taxes is when they cause hardship or you do not draw any benefit from them. Before you go on about taxes for government programs you don't use remember that they are for the good of society, and that they serve to better the overall condition of the people around you. That said, there are plenty of Pork barrel pieces out there and I would welcome an extended discussion on the merits of extensive (some would say unnecessary) government spending.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
Hyena H_ll at 6:11AM, April 18, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Ryan_Scott
My attitude has always been that I come first. I'll say goodbye to a job rather than have to compromise something of myself.

In life you have to make sacrifices to get ahead occasionally. And you have to work out what things are worth sacrificing… My work is less important than me and the things I want. My own time is more valuable.
What he said.

I will say that if you choose to take this attitude- unless you're lucky- you've got to be willing to live hand-to-mouth, sacrifice a lot of stability, basic comforts and “luxuries”, and what not. Granted, I've chosen to put my “freedom” to live this kind of lifestyle above things like having a family- so if I end up homeless, or can't feed myself, or lose my insurance because I can't pay for it, at least it doesn't affect anyone but me. I know some people don't have this choice.

RE: taxes- I get really upset about ‘em too, and tend to have the irrational reaction that the government is “doing it on purpose” to “punish” poor/ working class people. But I know this isn’t true, and that a lot of the social services, infrastructures that keep us safe and make life easier, programs that fund things like the arts (which, duh- is how I make my money), education for our kids (also how I make money), etc. would not be possibly without revenue taxes. I just wish there was more parity in the US tax system.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Orin J Master at 9:47AM, April 18, 2009
(online)
i'm not sure how you wedged the governemnt in there.

as for your employers….well, it's not that they think they're more important than your life so much as they DON'T CARE about your life. you're a name on their books in many cases and trying to keep track of who want's to be free when would cut into profits. and while a small business might be able to swing that, it's far too likely they're more interested in making more money than pleasing you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
ozoneocean at 1:17AM, April 19, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
unless you're lucky- you've got to be willing to live hand-to-mouth, sacrifice a lot of stability, basic comforts and “luxuries”, and what not.
That can be an issue when you haven't got the work. Been there, done that, in between jobs. :(
BUT, the reason you do that is for the mind and sense of self, as you know, so it balances out.
-all the luxuries in the world won't help you if your job makes you unhappy.
Orin J Master
as for your employers….well, it's not that they think they're more important than your life so much as they DON'T CARE about your life.
Some are like that maybe. I'm not happy doing my current work, but one of the main reasons I don't leave is because they do care about me. They're really nice people and I'd hate to let them down.
For now.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Ryan_Scott at 8:09PM, April 19, 2009
(online)
I guess I just think that the employer/employee relationship has a tendency to be a little one sided (and I know this isn't always the case and yes we DO need to work to put food on the table, so to speak).

But I think it does need to be acknowledged that working for somebody else can be pretty damn soul sucking. Many of us spend the greater part of our weeks working to make money for somebody else… in some cases more time than we spend with our loved ones. Hell, until recently I've spent more time at work in a week than I've spent with my daughter in a month (being separated and all that shite blah blah blah, that's a whole ‘nother story). When you weigh up how you divide your time and energy like that it can be pretty frightening.

The way I see it is Kinda like this… whatever beliefs or religion or whatever you adhere to, you have to assume that you only get ONE crack at life so doesn’t it make sense to be living that life for yourself and those closest? Not for your boss and not for your heads of state whatever…

Never forget that they can't live and pay the bills without us either! We're more essential to their way of life than they are to ours!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
isukun at 11:18PM, April 19, 2009
(online)
We're more essential to their way of life than they are to ours!

Not really. As a classification and maybe on paper you are, as an individual, you are not. You are very replaceable, especially in this economy and with so many jobs being outsourced. Your company would have no problems refilling your cubicle if you left and they'd probably be able to find someone more eager to work and who isn't weighed down by family.

The other problem here is that with any employer, you are essentially entering into a contract. They have a particular expectation for you and are willing to compensate you in a manner they think is fair. If you are unhappy with the work you do or the pay you receive, you're welcome to leave and find a different job. If they are unsatisfied with the work you do or feel your outside life interferes with your ability to do your job, they are within their rights to fire you. No part of this is one sided. You don't like your job and want more time with your family, start looking for employment elsewhere. They can't fire you for looking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ozoneocean at 1:16AM, April 20, 2009
(online)
isukun
You are very replaceable, especially in this economy and with so many jobs being outsourced. Your company would have no problems refilling your cubicle if you left and they'd probably be able to find someone more eager to work and who isn't weighed down by family.
That's unfounded and very shaky speculation Isukun, not like you at all…
You're using a generally held perception to apply to a specific real life instance, which is problematic even when you have accurate knowledge of the instance in question, which in this case you do not.
————-

I could use my own situation as an example of this- one of the reasons I'm reluctant to leave my own employment and look for a change is that I know they would have difficulty replacing me, finding a person with my knowledge and skills for the position.

These things vary highly on a case by case basis, depending on many factors. They always do, no matter what the general economic climate.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved