Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The Rapture.
seventy2 at 8:48AM, May 21, 2011
(online)
Hey guys, i hear it's the end of the world today. So, is the world going to en
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
Ally Haert at 8:59AM, May 21, 2011
(online)
Hehe…. Don't worry seventy2, that's all just a l
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Faliat at 9:03AM, May 21, 2011
(offline)
The end of the world is going to be a much more random occurance. There are a LOT of things out there in the cosmos that could end us. Best to just hope we get off this rock before it does or build better ways to defend it.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Ozoneocean at 9:30AM, May 21, 2011
(online)
Hang on… if Seventy and Ally got raptured while they were typing, who clicked the “send” button?

—-
Faliat, I think that in a reality where this rapture were to work, it would mean the end of the entire universe and not just the planet earth, since the earth and all the people on it are just one part of corporeal reality, which is what is ending.
I think the religious nuts have the better deal though- Worrying about an end of everything that involves magical beings is a lot less depressing than thinking about rogue comets and gamma ray bursts. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
crocty at 9:33AM, May 21, 2011
(offline)
ozoneocean
Hang on… if Seventy and Ally got raptured while they were typing, who clicked the “send” button?

—-
Faliat, I think that in a reality where this rapture were to work, it would mean the end of the entire universe and not just the planet earth, since the earth and all the people on it are just one part of corporeal reality, which is what is ending.
I think the religious nuts have the better deal though- Worrying about an end of everything that involves magical beings is a lot less depressing than thinking about rogue comets and gamma ray bursts. :(
It's reeeally quite simple.
You see, after they typed their messages, their…Uh, wait…

Maybe the angel/demon who came to collect them finished their business for them? Would seem rude otherwise.

I was gonna end my message prematurely too, but I have a great outlook on the rapture.
Good people go to heaven
Bad people go to hell
Awesome people stay behind and get to loot all the shit they want.

Thus I'm staying right here.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
demontales at 11:53AM, May 21, 2011
(online)
Before I ask, I'll say that yes, I am often disconnecter from many news/events/rumours, etc. Now that this is said, what started this “today is the rapture” thing?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Ally Haert at 12:34PM, May 21, 2011
(online)
My husband clicked the send button, the heathen! :D
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
blindsk at 2:00PM, May 21, 2011
(online)
Can we expect zombies to appear at some point? If so, I need to make sure I'm right next to my nearest hardware store before they come!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
crocty at 2:06PM, May 21, 2011
(offline)
demontales
Before I ask, I'll say that yes, I am often disconnecter from many news/events/rumours, etc. Now that this is said, what started this “today is the rapture” thing?
Some nutjob “deciphered” the bible and found that the rapture happens today.

But I dunno, there's only 2 hours left to this day for me, and the world has yet to end…
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Mettaur at 3:24PM, May 21, 2011
(offline)
So, it ends this afternoon then? Tonight? Midnight?
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
DigitalCAPS at 5:33PM, May 21, 2011
(online)
I don't want to die. There's no future in it :(
Keep the Vision,
Jaymes Reed
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:11PM
Dave7 at 7:46PM, May 21, 2011
(online)
Mettaur

Actually I heard that it was supposed to end at 6pm Eastern time (U.S.), which was 5 pm where I'm at. So nothing's happened yet.

Unless it's a zombie apocalypse, it which case it may be awhile before any of us realize what's going on…

…OH CRAP!
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Faliat at 9:39PM, May 21, 2011
(offline)
crocty
Maybe the angel/demon who came to collect them finished their business for them? Would seem rude otherwise.
That makes them better than Candlejack!

As for Ozone's comment, he said it would be the end of the world, not the universe.
That's a whole lot more depressing kettle of fi…

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 9:44PM, May 21, 2011
(offline)
Someone
That makes them better than Candlejack!

Everyone is better then Candle Ja–

of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
BffSatan at 5:09AM, May 22, 2011
(online)
Just ‘cause no one was sucked into heaven doesn’t mean the rapture didn't happen. Maybe no one was good enough.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Ozoneocean at 5:40AM, May 22, 2011
(online)
Faliat
As for Ozone's comment, he said it would be the end of the world, not the universe.
That's a whole lot more depressing kettle of fi…
The world is the universe, especially if you're talking about a religious perspective- the god there doesn't just have dominion over the planet earth, but everything that exists.

BffSatan
Just ‘cause no one was sucked into heaven doesn’t mean the rapture didn't happen. Maybe no one was good enough.
Than that'd make this hell! o_O

Well whaddaya know? Hell isn't so bad afterall. :)
kyupol at 5:52AM, May 22, 2011
(online)
He got it all wrong. Harold Camping is a CULT btw. Same with any so-called “Christian” who puts in extra-biblical teaching.

Read your gospels. Christianity is pretty much straightforward. After you've read em, you'd be easily able to see who is real and who is just a cult.

At one time I scoffed at Christianity and even hated it because I associated Roman Catholicism with Christianity when in fact Catholicism is NOT Christianity but it is rather a hybrid of paganism and christianity and its a separate religion in of it itself. I viewed em as backward, unevolved laggards whose comprehension of reality is so primitive.

But after reading the Bible myself and studying it with a little more care, I learned to give em respect. All these crazies who call themselves “Christian” are just that… CRAZIES.

With regards to this rapture-end-of-the-world-crap and putting dates on the end of the world… here's a few verses for you to look at:

Matthew 24:36
But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Acts 1:7
And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-2
But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Faliat at 8:38AM, May 22, 2011
(offline)
Kyupol: In high school, while everyone else in RE was being taught the catholic beliefs surrounding certain passages, I actually read the bible. I would just flip through and read whichever passage was furthest to the left. There's stuff condoned in it that would be banned in videogames. Especially in the old testament. It also really easy to find conflicting beliefs in it because of it all being written by different people at different times.

Ozone: Why do we still sometimes call Earth by the alternate name of “The World” then? Sure, it may have been all people used to know but why do we still use it when that way of thinking died off before modern English began forming?

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Ozoneocean at 8:57AM, May 22, 2011
(online)
Faliat
Ozone: Why do we still sometimes call Earth by the alternate name of “The World” then? Sure, it may have been all people used to know but why do we still use it when that way of thinking died off before modern English began forming?
Well “the world” Can mean so very many things, so it's important to think about the context.
-From a religious perspective, god created everything: the world- universe- reality.
-From a personal perspective, your “world” is your family, friends, school, etc.
-If you say “in 1939, the world ended” you'd probably be talking about peace in Europe being shattered by the start of WW2.
etc.

“The whole world” can mean all of planet earth, or it can mean all the people on earth, of it can mean all the people who happen to think the same way you do "duh, the whole world knows that!"… It's just one of those nice, big, open words :)
blindsk at 1:06PM, May 22, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
“The whole world” can mean all of planet earth, or it can mean all the people on earth, of it can mean all the people who happen to think the same way you do "duh, the whole world knows that!"… It's just one of those nice, big, open words :)

Plus, right now we can still call it THE world. Until we discover another planet inhabited by aliens in which case we'll be "just Another world." ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
gullas at 1:57PM, May 22, 2011
(offline)
Dave7
Mettaur

Actually I heard that it was supposed to end at 6pm Eastern time (U.S.), which was 5 pm where I'm at. So nothing's happened yet.

Unless it's a zombie apocalypse, it which case it may be awhile before any of us realize what's going on…

…OH CRAP!

Well I'm only waiting for the zombies, but sadly due to the volcano erupt around here then there is a flight ban… so no zombies…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
Dave7 at 5:10PM, May 22, 2011
(online)
gullas
Well I'm only waiting for the zombies, but sadly due to the volcano erupt around here then there is a flight ban… so no zombies…

Well, just in case…

AA-12 auto shotgun. 'Cause you can never be too prepared.
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 7:17PM, May 22, 2011
(offline)
I wonder, did the rapture occur, and we're all just left behind?

OOOHHH

loljk, nothing happened, once again, I bet the guy who came up with the idea for the Rapture to occur is sitting back going: “Oh wait… um… I meant, 2012, may 21, Yeeees 2012…”
of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
Ozoneocean at 12:30AM, May 23, 2011
(online)
blindsk
Until we discover another planet inhabited by aliens in which case we'll be "just Another world." ;)
Not really- since the term is always context sensitive and even sensitive to the intent of the speaker so the earth will always be “the world” and at the same time it's always "just another world“ because there are other planets out there, inhabited or not.

…And I was just reading a historical story about Tamerlane by Robert E Howard, where he was described as ”the last conqueror of the world“- ”The world" in that context being mainly central Asia.
———————-

I heard that the rapture guy had scarpered with all the millions he got from his non-profit Christian radio station. That's what I heard anyway.
Who'd 'a thought it? An evangelical Christian con-man!? That never happens o_O

Is there some special bible for evangelical fundamentalist Christians that has stuff about being homophobic closet gays, having lots of extramarital affairs, and getting super rich by conning their followers? …Like the book of Mormon, only weirder.
bravo1102 at 1:40AM, May 23, 2011
(offline)
And welcome to the Great Disappointment II

Miller counted it wrong in 1844 and this guy counted wrong in 2011. Maybe that means that they're using the wrong numbers? Maybe the whole a day is a millenium to god is a metaphor and not to be taken literally? Maybe it means Time means nothing to a timeless being such as a deity?

It's an analogy, a metaphor, stop wasting all our time by taking it literally!

Now comes the next would-be END OF ALL THINGS in 2012.

How about this one? Every night is an end and every morning is a new beginning. So the world is always beginning, Not ending.

Yeah and the buffalo will come back and this beaded shirt is bulletproof.

Biblical prophecy was about current events. Revelation was about the First Century A.D. Roman Empire and never had anything to do with forecasting into the far future.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Ozoneocean at 2:36AM, May 23, 2011
(online)
lol! Now that's a know it all. :)

(analogies and metaphors are different things Bravo, neither describe the different intents behind the use of the word “world”. Its use is more comparable to the use of the word "we": the meaning is context sensitive, not metaphorical or analogous- look here and don't forget to expand the definitions)

————–
I don't think this was ever a serious thing or about predictions or readings to begin with; if it's true that Harold Camping (the guy behind this stunt), really has gone missing with all that money, then it's just the same old story of yet another ultra-rightwing fundamentalist evangelical conman.

At least this guy wasn't one of the crazy mass-murdering types, just the usual ordinary conman like all the rest.

————-
-edit-

Hold the phone… Well he's pretty much directly responsible for this and I don't know how many other similar instances, not to mention all the money wasted by his believers and the ruining of their lives because of it:

(woman tried to kill herself and murder her two daughters because she didn't want them facing the trials of the end of the world)
kyupol at 8:01AM, May 23, 2011
(online)
Revelation was about the First Century A.D. Roman Empire

Oh yeah?

Revelation 19:19
And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

- kings of the earth? Roman empire had an emperor. Not a king. Why “kings of the earth” and not “kings of Rome?”

Revelation 13:16-17
16And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

- Reeks of New World Order / Police State / Globalism /whateveryouwannacallit to me. You know, I have a friend who is a cripple. He just got a letter from the government trying to sell him on getting himself chipped.

Revelation 17:5-6
And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

- Obviously in reference to the Roman Catholic Church. Catholic Church = Mystery Babylon. Pope's mitre hat is the symbol of Dagon… one of the gods in Babylon. Catholic Church is not Christian. Catholic Church = Mystery Babylon The Catholic Church wasnt around during the 1st century AD.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
bravo1102 at 8:34AM, May 23, 2011
(offline)
kyupol
Revelation was about the First Century A.D. Roman Empire

Oh yeah?

Revelation 19:19
And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

- kings of the earth? Roman empire had an emperor. Not a king. Why “kings of the earth” and not “kings of Rome?”

The Beast is the Roman Emperor and Empire. John didn't name the Empire but used code words or numbers. Protest literature has done that for thousands of years. Kings of the earth refers to the numerous kings who ruled in the world during the Roman Empire. The nations who coexisted with the Romans Empire all had kings many of who were vassals of the Roman Empire.

It's about First-second Century Rome and the Catholic Church already existed. Acts of the Apostoles and Paul's letters set that up. It wasn't properly Catholic (Universal that wasn't until Niccea) but the Church had bishops and the like going back to Paul. Remember also the apparatus that rules Holy Mother Church was built to mirror the secular government of the Roman Empire from the beginning so of course there are similarities between Rome and the Catholic Church.

If you read Revelation as coming out of the horrible world wide upheaval that accompanied the First-Second Century AD Roman Empire it still says the same things and has much the same meaning but is only talking about events that have come and gone.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Faliat at 8:54AM, May 23, 2011
(offline)
ozoneocean
Which is why every end of the world prediction is ALWAYS open to interpretation. Just like the bible.

blindsk
Plus, right now we can still call it THE world. Until we discover another planet inhabited by aliens in which case we'll be "just Another world." ;)
We know there are other moons and we know that our sun is a star and that there are many others out there (We can even see them). But we still call Luna and Sol “The Moon” and “The Sun”.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
DAJB at 11:05PM, May 23, 2011
(online)
Apparently it's still on. They've just moved the date back until October.

Woo hoo! I thought I'd missed it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon