Debate and Discussion

The Rating System on DrunkDuck
friedegg at 11:55PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(online)
I bet this has been discussed before, but I don't see it in another thread and I apologise if it is indeed being discussed elsewhere…

I'm curious about the rating system on Drunkduck. You select 1 to 5 (or not at all) when you leave a comment. It then posts the rating you gave next to your comment for all to see. Because it isn't always anonymous everyone gets fives all the time, possibly out of fear of retaliation.

I'd like to think we're all realistic enough to recognise that a top notch, 5 out of 5 strip is not achievable every single time.

It makes me wonder what the point of it is, that's all. What motivates 5-givers to give 5s? Am I the only one to think this system is utterly pointless?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
DAJB at 1:35AM, Dec. 12, 2007
(online)
No, you're at least half right. It has been discussed before and the ratings have become pretty pointless as ratings. When I first became active on DD, I gave a few 4's (which I thought was good) and then felt guilty when I realised no-one else ever gave anything but 5's.

After a while you start to realise that 5 doesn't mean 5; but it doesn't matter because everyone understands that. It just means: “I like this comic and/or page”. To that extent, it still serves a purpose (especially for readers who can't always think of a specific comment to make) but the actual number has become meaningless.

Abolishing the rating would make some sense but, if you do that, you'd have to replace it with some other form of “tick box” system so readers could still show their support even when they don't want to comment (or can't think of one). All in all, once you realise how the system is being used and understood by everyone else, it's probably just as good a system as any other you might put in its place.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ozoneocean at 3:44AM, Dec. 12, 2007
(online)
This topic has been discussed more than any other ever here at DD. Hundreds of threads and thousands of posts have been devoted to it.

I think we'll let this run for a while and then maybe sticky and lock it, so people can see the opinion on it, but won't go over old ground again.

———————-

The rating system is a hangover from earlier version of DD. It has no functional purpose now, except for people to state their opinion of a page without actually bothering to comment.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
n_y_japlander at 8:18AM, Dec. 12, 2007
(offline)
I understand that the rating does not add up to much…
I give 5's or nothing…. it takes time and effort to make most web comics, for that reason alone, I give them 5's….

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
Hawk at 11:44AM, Dec. 12, 2007
(online)
When I rework my layout, I plan to provide my own scale next to the place where you leave your ratings. It would probably look like this:

5 - Best page of this comic ever
4 - An above average page
3 - A good, solid page
2 - Not as good as you're used to
1 - Needs a lot of improvement/disappointing

You see, this way the ratings aren't about how good my comic is in comparison to other comics, it's just a scale that can be used to tell me if I'm improving or getting lazy. It's this kind of rating that would actually be valid and helpful to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
trevoramueller at 1:52PM, Dec. 13, 2007
(online)
Hawk
5 - Best page of this comic ever
4 - An above average page
3 - A good, solid page
2 - Not as good as you're used to
1 - Needs a lot of improvement/disappointing

This is a good solid ranking system, and one that I think people should follow…since now all they do is give 5s.

If my pages are all 5s, then why does everyone give me a 4/5 on the ranking thread? Honestly, I would rate my own comics at a 3 or lower….
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Nominated for numerous web awards, see more news at My Website
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
horseboy at 8:59PM, Dec. 13, 2007
(offline)
Usually, I only leave 5's when I think they're warranted, otherwise I don't leave a post. Not the best way to do it, as it's nice to know what you're screwing up, but, well, I'm only human! What do you want from me?
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Custard Trout at 4:37AM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
I can't be arsed to look over the comic objectively and work out a fair rating, so I just slap a five on it. If I am really impressed by something, I'll just say so along with my five, but if something does bother me, I do give out lower scores. I have very low standards though, so it's rare.

Actually, I might as well just stop rating at all.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
ozoneocean at 8:32AM, Dec. 14, 2007
(online)
hahaha. Rating habits eh?

Ah well, if you look in the comic discussion forum you'll find a few threads that go into that aspect of it.

Yeah, I think that's all that needs to be said, I'll lock it and sticky it now so that if anyone's interested in rating stuff they can easily find some talk on it here :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved