Debate and Discussion

The school shooting thread (first post includes some of my comments...)
Aurora Moon at 4:54PM, June 4, 2007
(offline)
edit skoolmunkee: kyupol started the thread but accidentally deleted his post. So if responses don't exactly match up that's why!

—-

Well, those victims didnt want to die on purpose, so I don't think they even thought about that or wanted that at all.

it's stupid how the other people out there are treating those victims though…. they were just regular people that they didn't even know!

Now it's very honorable to respect and remember the people who died that day, and to make an effort towards an cause so that it would never happen again.

But people take it too far if they're actually praying TO the decreased like they were some kinda god. or treating the decreased like an hero when all they did was cry, and pled for their lives.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Vagabond at 5:28PM, June 4, 2007
(online)
Memorializing =/= Martyrdom

People attend in droves because a school shooting makes them feel insecure about their own safety. Sometimes the only way that they can get that sense of security back is by going to those sort of things where they feel like a part of a unified community.

Unless I missed something, I don't recall you mentioning anything about anything even remotely resembling martyrdom.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
subcultured at 5:30PM, June 4, 2007
(online)
Someone
people dumping flowers around the picture… saying prayers… and bowing out of respect.

umm…they never said he was a martyr. it seems to me by their actions that they were there to pay repsect for a person tht died. it's a common practice to do that when someone dies. a teacher died of a heart attack and they posts picture of him in school. they just want to show the student body that he will be missed.

especially people of younger age who haven't lived as long will have a bigger turnout because there life was cut short and rather violently. so people want to honor thier short lives.

i don't see anything wrong with it.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Black_Kitty at 5:38PM, June 4, 2007
(online)
I assume you're talking about Jordan Manners?

I'm going to be honest here and I hope you don't take this personally but your post is just…confusing. Somewhere within that post, you've made a jump from Jordan Manners (unless you're talking about someone else?) to martyrdom. And it's not really a coherent jump you're making.

Where are you getting the whole praying to the victim to watch over your soul or give inspiration business? Because I've been following the coverage of Jordan Manners as well and he wasn't treated like a martyr. Rather, the death of Manners was only significant to the media because it was the first shooting to happen within a Toronto school (which I find hard to believe but whatever.) Added to the mix was how it was an inner city school with teachers who are now coming forward to suggest that not only was the incident preventable (theoretically) but that reported threats and violence were not treated appropriately by the administration.

In a year, nobody will remember Manners except those who are closest to him. Just because the media pays attention to him and that an unusual amount of people decided to show their respects in his funeral doesn't mean that the person is automatically a martyr.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
kyupol at 6:07PM, June 4, 2007
(online)
I know about showin respects in a funeral. Stop treatin me as if I'm an idiot who never saw a funeral in my life. lol

I just find it interesting that school shooting victims get a more… heroic treatment as compared to somebody who died a natural death…

I also find it intersting how society regards the value of human life. Is a life lost in a school shooting more valuable than lets say… the bum on the street who just dies of the cold winter freezing to death? Or the forgotten old person who suddenly dies inside his/her place of dwelling. Who is gonna mourn for the forgotten people?!? Who is gonna mourn for those bodies I saw in ogrish.com that were being dissected in a medical lab by a bunch of students?!? Fuck… These bodies are most likely bums who died in the street that nobody cares about! Because if somebody really did care… the families are gonna do everything in their power to stop the “desecration” of their bodies.

Ooh… oops. I forgot. Life isnt fair. Stop whining. Suck it up and deal with it! :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Phantom Penguin at 7:30PM, June 4, 2007
(offline)
Almost anyone who is murdered is treated different.

And think of the student: The good kids getting a further education trying to move on life, getting cut down in a hail of bullets by a deranged killer.
See wording makes it special doesn't it?

I feel sorry for the people of VT because they were killed of a coward who ambushed innocent people while they had their back turned and were defensless. The killers excuse? “they brought it on themselfs” I wish that kid were alive so I could have a sit in chat/kill him about his views on how those engineering students hurt him so badly it warrented their deaths.

And to the original post:
Its matrydom. People use those deaths to prove whatever points they have. Like the guy thinking “maybe we need more gun control” the deaths at VT probably finished his thought, and so he uses their deaths to further his own ends. Making them more important to them in death then in life.

Disgusting no?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Aurora Moon at 1:57PM, June 5, 2007
(offline)
huh? is it me or did kyopol's post above my first post in this thread disappear?
now people are gonna think I started this thread.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Cthulhu at 4:36PM, June 5, 2007
(online)
An admin probably deleted it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
Black_Kitty at 4:53PM, June 5, 2007
(online)
I just want to say that Kyupol accidentally deleted his own post from what I remember…although why he then deleted the post saying he deleted his first post is a mystery to me. :S

(The original post made reference to a shooting in Toronto so my post is geared more towards that.)

I don't find that school shooting victims get more of a “heroic” treatment. They certainly do get more coverage but generally speaking, most people tend to forget school shooting victims after a year. But coverage doesn't necessarily mean people value or mourn for the victims more. In the case of the Toronto shooting, his death seem to be sparking an investigation into the school and the claims that reported threats/violence were not handled by the administration appropriately.

kyupol
Who is gonna mourn for those bodies I saw in ogrish.com that were being dissected in a medical lab by a bunch of students?!? Fuck… These bodies are most likely bums who died in the street that nobody cares about! Because if somebody really did care… the families are gonna do everything in their power to stop the “desecration” of their bodies.

And how do you know that those are the bodies of the homeless and not of people who donated their bodies to science?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
Phantom Penguin at 6:10PM, June 5, 2007
(offline)
It is aganist the law to “Dissect” bodies that were not donated to science.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
skoolmunkee at 3:24AM, June 6, 2007
(online)
Black_Kitty
I just want to say that Kyupol accidentally deleted his own post from what I remember…although why he then deleted the post saying he deleted his first post is a mystery to me. :S
Oops, that was me. I couldn't figure out why he left a post saying he'd deleted a post (I never saw the first one). I thought Aurora started the thread, Kyupol responded, deleted it, and then told everyone he deleted it. :3 (Why make a post about deleting it, why not make the post about deleting it and then re-saying what you already said so people know?)

IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
subcultured at 10:02AM, June 6, 2007
(online)
i think this post's topic is just confusing and more confusing that the author del his post. imma lock this.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved