Debate and Discussion

The Scourge of Youtube AMVs Rant and Discussion
Zerglingleader at 6:53AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(offline)
Hi guys. I needed a good place to rant, and so what better place than a board filled with intelligent people. (Not sarcasm, you guys rock) After my little dive into web-comics ended in miserable failure, (Oversaturation and the like) I decided to revisit one of my previous hobbies. Here is a rant for your discussing pleasure.

OK I think it's honestly time someone spoke up. I'm not a very “that guy” kind of person, but I haven't had a good rant in years and well, I think it's time to oil up the Machine. you know what happens to be on the chopping block today? Youtube.

not just youtube though, The AMV making society that fills Youtube's pages with piles upon steaming piles of worthless shit. When you cut up an Anime into five or six 20 second sequences because you have four accidental syncs that “work” with whatever song you decide to choose after the fact, THAT'S NOT AN AMV. The Title of AMV should be reserved for videos wherein the maker ACTUALLY PUTS FORTH EFFORT. I'm sorry, and I know I'm being a Wes about this (You won't understand what that means) but I honestly cant stand it when people put entire scenes in an AMV to a lightning fast song. I'm not saying you have to be the next Decoy or Shinnie, JUST TRY. I've seen videos made in Movie-Maker that I really like and I have saved. But when people hap-hazardly through clips together on a time-line without any thought or beat matching, it's a lame excuse for perpetuating your youtube hits. just because you lay down an entire episode of naruto onto a timeline with Inside the Fire and there is a part where Naruto's hand symbols match up to a six beat sequence, that doesn't make you an AMV Genius. IT MAKES YOU LUCKY.

But that's not even the worst part. The worst part is, I feel like I'm the only one calling people on their crap. all of these users, every last one of them thinks they are THE SHIT. saying things like “My video is awesome” and “I think it turned out great” AMVs don't “turn out” they are sculpted by the creator and only “Turn out” as well as they were made. What really drives me insane is that the commentors that rate it and comment on it eat it up. they fucking love the shit. I love full-metal alchemist and 3 Doors Down as well, but that coincidence of interest doesn't merit a five fucking star rating. all too often I see “Great Vid” or “I love this song” IT'S BULLSHIT. nobody seems to care that this user has just waisted five minutes of my life and is now getting praised for it. You should in theory, get better as you go along. I for one, as an AMV maker myself have improved massively since I started. But my 10 year old brother's first video kicks the shit out of some 25 year old's 10th. Still there are some good ones out there, and if your willing to wade through the crap you might actually find something you like. I'm not saying they shouldn't be aloud. Users can post whatever they want. it's their right. I just hate the fact that good or bad that mindless terrible comments and praises are the same.

Discuss…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:57PM
NickGuy at 10:17AM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
so your problem ISNT the 99% of shit on youtube, but the very very very very very very EXTREMELY niche category of anime music videos?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Hawk at 8:27PM, Dec. 28, 2008
(online)
While I do agree with you that there's an insane glut of awful AMV music videos on Youtube, I guess I'm just not all that fired up about it. In any website that allows you to post user-created content, it's a virtual guarantee that you're going to see crap… as well as additional people copying that crap and doing it even worse. I mean, we've got enough awful sprite comics right here to show for it.

That's all I can really say to it, I guess. In any creative venue where EVERYBODY is allowed to contribute, you must prepare for crap. The nice thing is, if you can do substantially better than crap, it's a good way to claw your way above the crap.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
ozoneocean at 11:58PM, Dec. 28, 2008
(online)
So this is a discussion on people's attitudes to the creations of others…?
Because this isn't a place just to rant, it's things that others can participate in.

Creative open forums like Youtube are filled with neophytes because it's open and easy to participate in, they like each other's work and can be supportive. More professional, more closed fora will probably have the quality of work you're looking for, with a higher level of critical commentary.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
confusedsoul at 10:51AM, Dec. 29, 2008
(online)
Hmm, I'm just not a big fan of music videos on YouTube in general. Everytime I try and search for something, five seconds after the video has loaded BAM! inappropriate music. Or just some awful tune. I mean, Lordi and Zelda?

It's not a case of not being specific. They just pop up all over the place.

I think I've seen maybe two AMV's that actually worked. One was a very well synced Hamster Dance with Fullmetal Alchemist (Hey, it was very well done) and the other was Devilman with Devil May Cry's opening theme. It just sort of worked.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'm entitled to it, and so are the people commenting on AMV's. Sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
StaceyMontgomery at 2:39PM, Dec. 29, 2008
(offline)
Another thread about how people on the internet are bad?

I guess it is the season to complain that other people just aren't good enough.

But I say - bring it on. All the crappy AMVs and webcomics and bad nanowrimo novels. I like living in a world where everyone is encouraged and empowered to create.

I think it's wonderful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
BffSatan at 8:25PM, Dec. 29, 2008
(online)
I recently took a media class for school, in this class we had to film and make out own movie trailer. You would think that the filming would be the hard part, but aside from trying to get it all done in a few short lessons it was all pretty easy. The hard part was editing it to make it look decent, I think you've greatly uderestimated how difficult editing is, people sole jobs is to edit films, they don't use there own footage, it's their job to use other people footage and it takes skill and a lot of time, it's the most time consumeing part of film making. Editing is just another medium and AMVs are an ametuer expression of this medium.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Hawk at 9:20AM, Dec. 30, 2008
(online)
Ozone is right, this is just a rant. It's a perfectly legitimate expression of opinion, but this isn't the right place for it. But I believe we have voice several common opinions on it. So, before this ends I'll leave you with a relevant news report on the subject:

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved