Debate and Discussion

The Seven Deadlies
Rori at 12:47PM, June 28, 2007
(online)
Just to add my two cents, again, but did you know that there are haute couture hijabs and burkas? That's right, prada, chanel, Marc Jacobs, etc. It might be a bit of a red herring, though, since the biblical sin of pride is rooted deeply in the sin of Lucifer defying god's will. So, perhaps it all depends on if your luxury is an afterthought, or if it takes you away from god. If that is the case, I suppose you would have to know the heart of the person to judge.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM
Sysli at 3:42PM, June 28, 2007
(online)
Rori, you have the answers to my questions so often, I'm so close to declaring you my pseudo-mentor right here and now! :)

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing what you'd reinvent the seven deadly as if you ever feel like sharing.

And I really shouldn't care about what sins I commit since I'm a non-believer and will go downstairs according to Christianity no matter what I do or don't. that's why I can take it so casually if anybody wonders.
Oh, by the way, there's a jewelry designer that made a Seven-Deadly-Sins project that really made me think about how individual our interpretations of them are. Some of her things just didn't make sense to me at all because she focused on something I hadn't considered part of that sin or hadn't thought about before.
Sadly, I can't remember her name, but you guys probably get the idea anyway.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
TitanOne at 1:36PM, June 29, 2007
(offline)
Sea_Cow
Gluttony: Potential cannibal generator, will detract from the food that poor people can eat, makes you lardy

You mean if I don't eat this bowl of canned beef ravioli in front of me, it will feed a poor person somehow?

I think gluttony in Biblical terms was an extension of sloth, not greed. It was written in the days of slash-and-burn agriculture when they had to struggle to raise food, and probably 80% of the people were farmers, hunters, or fishermen. From what I read in the OT Bible, a glutton was a wastrel who was lazy and didn't bring food to the family table.

Nowadays, letting poor people starve is just an extension of greed, IMHO, and has nothing to do with your waistline. Enjoy your candy bar, and then if you feel guilty, contribute to famine relief by writing a check.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Rori at 9:23PM, June 29, 2007
(online)
Sysli
Rori, you have the answers to my questions so often, I'm so close to declaring you my pseudo-mentor right here and now! :)

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing what you'd reinvent the seven deadly as if you ever feel like sharing.

Pseudo-mentorship! Awesome! You're too kind :)

The sin thing is a work-in-progress (halted progress), but now maybe I'll start dredging it up again. Thanks for the nudge! I need nudges. Alas…sloth is the easiest of sins. Dammit! I'm even lazy when sinning!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM
kingofsnake at 10:38PM, June 29, 2007
(online)
The seven deadly sins aren't biblical. They were developed after the bible was written. They were developed by a christian, but they were developed as an moral philosphy argument, not a theological one. They are the seven major motivating factors behind all wrong doing. The catholic church as adopted them, but their principles apply regardless of religious construct.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Sysli at 1:57AM, June 30, 2007
(online)
Well said kingofsnake. Or remembered, I knew it was something like that, but I'm so shaky on my facts that I didn't dare going too far into that. I still don't know if I'd say they apply to every religion, but I haven't really thought about it.

And yaye, I've nudged somebody! I'm a perpetual nudger/poker Rori, I'll gladly poke people to get them on with their projects. Nothing like annoying your friends to continiue with their comic and joining DD. Some day soon she will, or I'll have to poke her again.
Heehe. Is it a good or a bad thing to be lazy while sinning I wonder…

Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
marine at 2:51PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
For the record, I don't like Satanism because you don't actually worship the devil. Why isn't their a devil worshiping religion thats not full of faggotry like Paganism or bullshit dogma like Satanism?

Shall I do part two and explain how I broke the devils rules?

1) Stupidity
I had a science teacher explain stupidity as knowing something is wrong and doing it anyway. Whereas ignorance (what I would consider a deadly sin) is not knowing something is wrong and doing it anyway. I could point to adultry as an easy one in this case. It was clearly wrong, I did it anyway. I feel sort of bad about it, but if I was there again in the same situation, I'd do it again. Possibly even harder. Maybe I could convince her to leave her husband like I was delusional enough to think.

2) Pretentiousness
I'm the greatest there ever was, go read penis, a great comic.

3) Solipsism
Anything anybody else says is bullshit period.

4) Self-deceit
I'm the greatest there ever was, go read penis, a great comic.

5) Herd Conformity
I'm part of a group with KC Green and HPK and some other webcomic dudes. At least, I would like to be lumped in with guys like them, but I know I'm better than they are. So I guess thats one the devil has I ain't really broke. I just don't fit in really. Too cool to be cool.

6) Lack of Perspective
I can't see the forrest for the trees.

7) Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
Fuck past shit.

8) Counterproductive Pride
I make a great comic penis, its perfect as is. Fuck you if you say otherwise.

9) Lack of Aesthetics
I cut and paste my webcomic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved