Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The silliest things you remember believing as a kid...
Lonnehart at 10:04PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
You've probably had those beliefs. And you always thought you were right and they were true… ‘til later in life when you were shown the error of your ways. Mine? Well…

I used to believe that the wax paper on siopao (a chinese steamed meat bun) was edible. Well, it was… but it wasn’t meant to be eaten.

I used to think I had latent superpowers and that everyone had them too… almost injured myself one time trying to “activate” them…

The lyrics in the Transformers theme… The line goes “Autobots wage their battles to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons.”. I thought it was “Autobots placed in battle…” (because I thought they were forced to fight their war).

Thanks to the show You Can't Do That on Television (canadian show), I used to think that Australians walked upside down. Then I met an actual Australian. O_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Skullbie at 10:21PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
I always all adults had a secret spy/mind reading power that all people get when they're older because they always knew where i was or what i was thinking

I used to sometimes think i was the only one with a real working mind while everyone else was a fake souless fabrication for my world (i was a really spoiled kid )
^There are still adults who believe and act like this
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Ozoneocean at 10:48PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
There are still adults who believe and act like this
Not that it matters that you would think that because you're just a fake soulless fabrication for my world :)

I wonder who'll bring up religion first and start the crap? Oh, that was me just then. Sorry :(

————
I used to think nuclear weapons were a good thing and that war must be great fun. :)

I used to think that people in different states of this country (Australia) all spoke different languages. I didn't realise it was just a massive island/continent that it was all the same country…

I used to think Elvis was sill alive and the Beatles hadn't split up yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
warefish at 11:36PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
I thought the world was flat. But it had no end. Just a bunch of cities, forests, oceans and winding roads into the infinite.

Before my family and I left for Sydney (when I was living in Adelaide), I thought that Sydney was overseas.

A friend of mine believed his father when he told him that in order to make chicken salt, you had to make a chicken run on a treadmill, then collect the chicken's sweat, and then precipitate the sweat to get the remaining salt. Makes sense though…

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
lba at 12:22AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
I thought that my mother was the one human being capable of outsmarting me 100% of the time and that she was the only human being I would never be able to outsmart no matter how hard I tried.

Turns out it's probably true. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
LifeOnEarth at 2:05AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
My aunt (who's not all that much older than me) convinced me there was a boogieman in the space beneath the house, and forced me to bring it food offerings at night. This went on for about a week until my grandparents noticed and tried explain that such things weren't real. I remained unconvinced.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
Pineapple at 2:15AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
There was this doorknobby thing on the wall in my parents bedroom. I used to think that it would somehow open up a secret doorway and things would come out there at night. Thinking back, it was probably to tie up the curtains.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
HyenaHell at 2:25AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Ha. Those are some good ones, folks!

I believed it was entirely possible that I could grow up to be Humphrey Bogart. Or at least Indiana Jones. That didn't work out too well. I didn't really understand the whole “if you're born a girl, that's probably the way you're gonna stay” concept.

I believed that I (single-handedly) could save all the endangered species; and the rainforest; and the world. I drew comics about my brother and myself (and our imaginary animal friends) murdering and torturing (in very creative and ironic ways) these “bad guys” who were like, polluting or not recycling or something. (I found some of them recently; good stuff.) I think I wanted to be an eco-terrorist. Which may not be “silly” so much as a bit naive. x_X
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Senshuu at 2:58AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
I believed that all old people had glasses and dentures. ALL of them.

That was because of Rugrats, for some reason.
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
skoolmunkee at 3:09AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
I was convinced that the large wicker laundry hamper at the end of the hallway, only at night, contained monsters (or at least some form of horrible, tangible dread) until I was almost 10. Unfortunately the hamper was right next to the bathroom door so whenever I had to pee in the middle of the night it was a test of courage and sometimes woke someone up with my mad dash.

I also believed until I was 16 that I was a great singer and was deaf to the people telling me I wasn't. I sang all the time, sometimes loudly. When I was 16 someone made a tape of me and made me listen. After that I have never sung in public again unless I can be drowned out, ie birthday songs.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Ozoneocean at 4:11AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
I used to think that girls were boys who'd had something terrible happen to them. :(
I'm glad I was wrong about that one. :)

I used to think adults were a different species who just fooled kids that they used to be kids too once.
This one is true. Now I am an adult I know I was never a kid! Especially not one who belived stupid things.
DMH at 5:27AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
When I was in Kindergarten, we had once had this substitute teacher whose english wasn't too good. On that day, it was near easter and our class had to do something for Palm Sunday (Went to Catholic Schoo), so a few of us were picked out to be apostles. Problem was, when the teacher tried to say apostles, it sounded like she was saying possums. So for about a week, until my grandmother corrected me, I thought Jesus was followed everywhere by anthropomorphic marsupials. And i found out I wasn't the only one

There was also this time where I was the page boy at my aunt and uncle's wedding. Dressed in a tux, walking hand-in-hand with the flower girl who was in a dress similar to my aunt's, I honestly thought I got married to said flower girl. But I was three at the time.

Last one, I used to keep hanging up no smoking signs to try and get my dad to get off the cigarettes. It didn't exactly work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
bravo1102 at 5:42AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
I used to believe sperm was passed through kissing.

In junior high school I posted Big Brother is Watching You posters in the hallways.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Senshuu at 5:42AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
Oh yeah, and I used to believe that the soul was a physical organ. It was kind of green and kidney-shaped and resided between your liver and stomach. *nods* No clue where I got that one.
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
ShinuZero at 5:51AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Santa, and that I could do a KaMeHaMeHa if I trained enough.
All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Koshou at 9:24AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
When I was a kid my mom told me that I have “spots” on my leg (from a skin condition that I was born with) because my real mother was a leopard.

I ended up repeating this story to a doctor who asked about my skin. My poor mom was mortified.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
seventy2 at 11:38AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
i believed in the basic things that all kids are told about, santa claus, the easter bunny etc.

i dont ever remember being told that none of these exsisted, just one christmas i remember thinking santa was real, and the next not having ever believed it. the way my parents told me must have been so traumatic that i blocked it off.

———–

you know what? i'm not even going to go there, i think i'm going to go wash my thoughts with soap.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
usedbooks at 12:03PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
I thought I could fly if I came up with a good set of wings. Usually I used pillow cases. I jumped off the roof of our storage shed a few times.

I thought there was poisonous lead in the dirt that would kill us. I was so scared when I saw my sister playing in mud, I'd cry.

My sister convinced me that her grade school teacher had a shrinking machine, and they would shrink down at recess and play in the toys. When I got to that grade, I couldn't find the machine. My sister's teacher was actually teaching her new grade at the time, and she convinced me that the teacher brought the machine with her.

I was also under the delusion that my sister always had my best interest in mind. She once told me she'd help me get a loose tooth out. I let her blindfold me. Then she punched me in the face.

A couple times, I thought I was a boy because my hair was short, I wore swim trunks, and I played with boy toys (not like that…). My sister and I got Power Wheels for our birthdays. Hers was a lilac-colored car. Mine was a yellow four-wheeler. The weird thing is that a high school classmate confessed to me that when we were in kindergarten, she thought I was a boy and had a crush on me…

I believed that if I wasn't asleep before midnight, witches would come and throw me into a cauldron. I think someone told me at some time that it was the “witching hour.” And that was my interpretation.

I believed that if I wished hard enough, I could bring my stuffed animals to life. I also believed that they came to life while I was asleep, and every morning I used to check to see if they were in the same place they were the night before.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
AQua_ng at 1:11PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
I was incredibly shocked when I found out that other television sets showed the same shows as my one at exactly the same time.

Oh, and I used to think that a nearby radio tower as actually the Eiffel Tower.

In retrospect, I think I might have been dropped on the head a few too many times as a baby and as a young adult.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
Nergal at 2:38PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Hmm I can't think of a single thing.

My childhood must've sucked.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:11PM
HippieVan at 2:43PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
My best friend and I used to be convinced that there was a ghost in my house…I think it started because a popsicle on a plate moved by itself or something. Anyways, that ended when one day the “ghost” was throwing clothing down the stairs. I went to the bottom of the stairs to investigate, and got hit in the head with a shoe. This was immediately followed by an apology from my dad.

I can't think of any others, though I'll have to ask my parents. I was kind of a pessimistic child. One time I was reading a book about pirates with my dad when I was little, and I turned to him and asked “Dad, why are there no adventures in the real world?” I guess I had discovered that the world wasn't really full of pirates and unicorns. He tried to convince me that there were real adventures, like having kids, but I didn't fall for that.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 3:26PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
I used to believe that I had some sort of superpower. Like spider-man's web or something.

I also used to believe that I could never die. I thought I was cool because when I walked out of a store, I never got hit by a car.

lmao.
I was a weird kid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Aurora Moon at 4:28PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
I used to believe that everything on TV and that the mythological creatures were all real…. even the cartoons. that's just they all lived in different universes or pocket dimensions. And that the TVs were just showing recordings of what actually went on in the other dimensions, alongside with what was actually happening in our world. And that the people who wrote about different worlds, the mythological creatures, etc had actually gone to that other pocket dimensions for studies and to collect stories from the universes and dimensions.

Edit: So I'd fantasize about going to another world and having an epic adventure…and I wanted this so badly… not just so that I could lead a cool life, but so that I could be on TV then. following the logic up above, I thought that if I was having an adventure in another world… my own tv would be naturally recording my adventure and then broadcast it all over the world.

Man, talk about silly.

I also believed that one could become an superhero when one grew up. So I had aspirations to become an superheronie and would actually “train” for it at times. I was massively dispointed when there wasn't actually any job market for superheroes, and that they didn't exist.

While that's kind of a cool idea in itself, I now realize how stupid it had been to believe that EVERYTHING was real….:p
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Walrus at 5:11PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
1. If I took my clothes off, someone would steal my penis.
2. Women had penises.
3. The men in the milk section actually lived there behind all the milk.
(I was a pervert even back then, 2 out of 3 are about penises.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Chernobog at 6:41PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
I thought hangnails were a thing called ‘papers’. I think I mistook someone's explanation of a papercut at some point.

I also remember thinking that the reason people fought was because they weren't honest with each other and a sincere talk could solve anything.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
crazyninny at 7:53PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
I belived as a kid that there where gaint craps *About the hight of a 6 year old kid.* lived in the crawl space in my closet. That if I ever opened that door, they would all come on and kill me.

I still kinda belive that…

And I also belived that a serial killer was some type of cereal that posioned people. *I saw some pictures of some type of killing where there were these bruises all over the persons limbs. Some how, I figured that those where the signs of the posion in ther cereal working its way in the body. @_@*
Oddly, I never did fear eating cereal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
Peipei at 8:03PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
-I thought the world was going to end after 1999 back when I was little xD. That's what my mom told me so I believed it xD.

-My twin brother used to lie to me about there being a guy named The Honey-Smack man hiding in the pantry at our old house o_o And I believed it till I was about 11 years old.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Mushroomcomix at 8:46PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Thanks to Toy Story I thought all of my toys came to life at night…so I started keeping my action figures in the boxes, which I still have today:)
Santa and the Easter Bunny, I also thought the Easter Bunny laid eggs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
Ozoneocean at 9:00PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
I thought Father Christmas had an evil twin called Santa who was trying to kill him.
Turns out I was right about that one too.
DrLuck at 12:06AM, Jan. 11, 2009
(online)
I once asked my brother as a kid why the sky is blue, being he was good at science. He told me it was because the light bounced off the ocean and reflected the color back to the ozone.

I learned in college he was lying to me. He's a dick.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon