Media Megaforum

The Simpsons Vs. Family Guy (There can be only one!)
jalford at 12:38AM, May 1, 2006
(online)
The Simpsons and Family Guy have playfully butted heads for a while now. The Simpsons even poked that American Dad was just Family Guy rehashed. So which is better as far as comedy and entertaiment value?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Terminal at 6:50AM, May 1, 2006
(online)
I would say I kinda like Family Guy, at first I thought it was funny, but then it was all just, normal. As far as Family Guy is concerned, the show’s jokes, often absurd, out-of-continuity cutaways, are interchangeable and have nothing to do with the plot. As if the show's humor is all references and "remember the time when…" can't say they don't make me laugh. As for The Simpsons, well it hasn't been that good in the last couple of seasons, but it is shaping up. Anyways the plots and the jokes in The Simpsons are relevant to the story. Family Guy just feels like a watered down version of The Simpsons.

I would say The Simpsons.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
chezz at 7:18AM, May 1, 2006
(offline)
For me the simpsons is better but for others it may be family guy, both are really funny but for me the simpsons is funnier hehehe :D
check out my new comic at http://www.drunkduck.com/Damned_Zan/
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Thevampire_kain01 at 7:41AM, May 1, 2006
(offline)
Family Guy!

Simpsons Suck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
SarahN at 9:51AM, May 1, 2006
(online)
Early Simpsons is better than Family Guy.

Family Guy is better than new Simpsons.

….yeah, because of this I can't vote… :?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
SpANG at 10:43AM, May 1, 2006
(online)
The Simpsons still rule in my book. And I have to disagree with SarahN. The early stuff kinda sucks. The current stuff is a litlle lack luster most of the time, But I think the best episodes were season 5 - Season 12. I really liked when they started focusing more on Homer, and less on Bart.

For me, The Simpsons now have “funny moments” rather than completely funny episodes, so they are still worth watching. And occasionally, they still hit one out of the park.

Family Guy (which started out as a pale imitation of The Simpsons) now reaches new audiences by shocking and “pushing the limits”. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's uncomfortably UNfunny. But I've never laughed out loud over Family Guy. I have with The Simpsons.

But if we are going to be honest, don't Family Guy, The War At Home (which sucks), American Dad (which sucks), and yes, even Married with Children (which sucked near the end), derive from The Simpsons?

The Simpsons has been on the air for over 17 years now (they even poke fun at themslves occasionaly for this). Add this to the fact that just about everything that you can do or see, The Simpsons have touched on. The phrase “D'ohh” is actually in some dictionaries now, and that and several other phrases from The Simpsons are a part of everyday (American) vernacular.

Let's see Family Guy (or any other TV series) do that!

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
ozoneocean at 11:30AM, May 1, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
The phrase “D'ohh” is actually in some dictionaries now, and that and several other phrases from The Simpsons are a part of everyday (American) vernacular.
Interestingly “D'ohh” as a word for an exclamation of shock, frustration, anger etc is actually English. It’s been recorded in use all throughout the early 20th century. I even heard it used in that fashion in a Steven Fry BBC radio comedy as late as just a year before the Simpsons ever graced the Tracey Ullman show. :P
-edit-But the Simpsons did give it a much wider popularity around the world.

Given the creator’s wide knowledge of and exposure to British humour/culture, it's not surprising they adopted things like that. I have some British friends who actually swear that Spinal Tap are an English group! Haha!
-can you believe it? These guys aren’t silly kids either.
But there are heaps of others that really are properly attributable to the Simpsons. Nelson’s particular laugh that he uses to mock the misfortune of others is a big favourite. :-D

As for TV series that have had a broad cultural influence and introduced phrases into the English Language… Beam me up Scotty!

Anyway, for all the Simpson's failings, it's still superior to all its rivals.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Terminal at 11:38AM, May 1, 2006
(online)
Considering Shock Humor is all the rage on the TV now. The Simpsons have managed to stay away from that and still be funny. Hell, the worst offender has got to be Drawn Together, DT makes Family Guy look like The Simpsons.

Damn this humor kids like today.

Hawk at 11:54AM, May 1, 2006
(online)
Though I'll admit I've been enjoying Family Guy more lately due to the fact that Simpsons is getting old, I still think the higher-caliber show in the end is Simpsons. The Simpsons in its prime was much better than Family Guy during any part of its life so far.

Now, if Futurama was on the list it would certainly change my vote.

And I don't like American Dad at all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
spambot at 3:56PM, May 1, 2006
(offline)
While I did find the original Family Guy episodes pretty hilarious the first couple of times through, they quickly lose their charm. The newer ones I didn’t find funny even the first time through.

I can still go back to old Simpson’s episodes I’ve seen hundreds of times and laugh my ass off. (I’m talking seasons 3 and on).

Futurama was even better though. Genuinely funny gags/jokes and I loved the characters and storylines.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Twin at 2:26AM, May 2, 2006
(offline)
Family Guy's style of throwing as many non-sequiturs and random flashbacks as possible really entertained me, but in parts it just got…boring. Some jokes just go on for far too long, until that in itself is the joke.

The Simpsons, although it is getting less awesome in it's age, is still good. Most of the best Simpsons episodes (the ones that are stilled played ad nauseum every day) were back in the 4th and 5th season, and most of the writers for those have gone off to do their own thing.

So, Simpsons.
Spritely - for all your funny needs.
Total Immersion - for all your Pokemon-centric pseudo-romantic story needs.

Something for everyone!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
VegaX at 3:38AM, May 2, 2006
(offline)
I tried to follow “Family Guy” for several times cos people just keept on telling me it is so damn funny. It has its random funny jokes but 70% of its funnies go right past me. I see that it is supposed to be funny but i just dont laugh. I feel its trying so hard to be crazy and wacky that it just feels empty. At least for me. I think it may also be becuase of the artstyle that i dont find pleasing.

The simpsons however, I like the simpsons a lot. It contains lots of lovable characters and every episode always seem to get me laughing. It has had some recent weak seasons but i think its back on track now.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Chelano at 10:39AM, May 2, 2006
(offline)
Every family guy episode has made me laugh. But the simpsons were the same way in the beginning.

Now the simpsons are losing it. In fact they are even stealing some randoness from family guy.

All in all I see family guy taking the same plung if they stick around as long as the simpsons has.

Man, remember the old simpsons episodes…..soooo funny
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
ccs1989 at 2:01PM, May 3, 2006
(online)
Family Guy will get old after a while. It's humor is considered ‘better’ than the Simpsons at the moment by the youth because it's fairly new. Personally I really like Family Guy. I think it's a funny show. However I suspect it'll die out before it reaches 10 seasons.

American Dad is a prime example of the fact that the creator of Family Guy can't do good shows with other characters or other kinds of humor. American Dad has some…okay lines, but is mostly just pathetic. Simpsons has stayed more or less continually funny from Seasons 6 through 13 or 14, and is still fairly funny.

Simpsons was also the show to pioneer the ‘Start with a begining that has very little connection to the ending’ which is something Family Guy adapted.

Still, neither show uses shock value in the way that shows like Drawn Together and South Park do. Drawn Together has to be one of the worst show ever made.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
8bitbluemage at 3:07PM, May 3, 2006
(offline)
Simpsons. It rocks hardcore. Sadly, my friend has never seen Simpsons so he just insists that Family Guy is better. He also likes it better because it's perverted, and now he won't even bother to watch it just because I said it's not perverted as Family Guy, but then again, what is? I like the humor of Simpsons a lot better. I also got “Simpsons Hit & Run” for my Gamecube. You can get good humor out of that just as well as the actual TV show. Let's see Family Guy do that as well!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
jalford at 1:04AM, May 4, 2006
(online)
Like Brak on Space Ghost. Everybody ADORED Brak on the old Coast To Coast and Cartoon Planet shows. But as soon as he gets his own series, people start to not like Brak anymore. Then Brak get sad and dies of a heroine overdose somewhere in Cuba. I just watched it cause Zorak rules!
jalford at 1:38AM, May 4, 2006
(online)
But that's all the whole freakin' show ever is! Every 5 seconds it's “This is worse than the time I…”

Oh, and Stewy has a British accent because______________. His mother doesn't have a British accent. His father doesn't have a British accent. So Stewy has a British accent because________________. Answer now Seth Macfarlane, or I'll continue to hurl wiped copies of the American Dad: Volume 1 DVD on to your front lawn!
magickmaker at 2:06PM, May 4, 2006
(offline)
I hard a hard time with this, but finally went with the Simpsons. Family Guy has a tendancy for every episode to be either really funny or amazingly stupid. There is no episode were it's just sort of funny. It always has to be an extreme. The Simpsons, on the other hand, usually isn't either extreme, but rather a somewhat amusing show. Family Guy's stupid running gags is what pushed my vote. Like the one where two characters just stand there and talk about nothing for like, three minutes. It was funny the first time. It was mildly amusing the second time. It's old now. For example, in a flashback in the latest episode, Peter and a white whale talked about Raisin Bran. For three freaking minutes. Not anything funny, but rather how Total with raisins is somewhat like freaking Raisin Bran.

So, yeah, the Simpsons.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Hawk at 2:32PM, May 4, 2006
(online)
magickmaker
Family Guy's stupid running gags is what pushed my vote. Like the one where two characters just stand there and talk about nothing for like, three minutes. It was funny the first time. It was mildly amusing the second time. It's old now. For example, in a flashback in the latest episode, Peter and a white whale talked about Raisin Bran. For three freaking minutes. Not anything funny, but rather how Total with raisins is somewhat like freaking Raisin Bran.

I think one of the weak points of Family Guy is the incredible lengths of time they're willing to blow on a single joke. At first you may think it's funny that they'd spend that kind of time on the joke, but after a while you realize you're getting shorted on show time that could have been spent on new and funny jokes.
Berlin Poe at 8:14PM, May 16, 2006
(offline)
God. Did anyone pick niether?

Simpson's is old and dull and has been around too damn long.

Family Guy is a one trick pony.

Were's the Clerks choice?

How ‘bout Boondocks?

What ’bout Mission Hill or Oblongs or Aqua Teen or Sea Lab or Wonder Showzen or Liqiud Television or Beavis and Butthead or Undergrads or The Crittic or King of the Hill or Sunday Pants or Venture Brothers or 12 Oz Mouse or Powerpuff Girls or Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends or Samurai Jack or Sam and Max Freelance Police or Ed Edd and Eddy or The Tick or South Park or Drawn Together or Dr Katz or Home Movies or Futurama or Kim Possible or Harvey Birdman or Strong Bad or Dibert oaky, so Dilbert was a rotten cartoon.

But for sheazy, there is more than those two cartoons. For sheazy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Terminal at 8:24PM, May 16, 2006
(online)
Actually, King of the Hill is the best animation on FOX's Sunday Night Line-Up. Never once jumped the shark or tried to be funny, it ends up being funny on it's own. Mike Judge is a genius, making a show like this. Too bad FOX contiunes to ignore this great dramedy and focus on Family Guy.

It's a shame really. I can't say much about Drawn Together, it's just crap.

Terminal at 8:36PM, May 16, 2006
(online)
Too bad not that many people watch, they dodged FOX Cancel Bullet by a few inches.

That 200th episode might have been the last.

(it's funny how fox endlessly advertises family guy on their new episodes, while king of the hill reached 200th episodes and didn't get a mention, and if they did, they weren't trying.)

Hawk at 8:38PM, May 16, 2006
(online)
You know what's funny about King of the Hill is being really conservative is almost its own way of being edgy. It also makes it all the more ironic that it came from the makers of Beavis and Butthead.

What really makes me enjoy King of the Hill is Dale Gribble. He's one of those outrageous characters you've met bits and pieces of in real life, kind of like Kramer. He says some of the funniest things and his predictability somehow makes you anticipate what he's going to do all the more.

I also enjoy how highly Hank esteems propane and propane accessories. It's like a religion to him or something.
Berlin Poe at 12:48PM, May 17, 2006
(offline)
King of the Hill is great for the same reasons The Colbert Report is: so conservative that it's insane. What's REALLY funny is those guys are trying to be overly right wing and real right wing hosts acctually think like they do.

Wait did I say funny, or scary?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
SpANG at 1:23PM, May 17, 2006
(online)
It's satire. Conservatives should not like these shows because it shows how ridiculous their points of view are.

Hank Hill may seem conservative, but he is more a writer's critisism OF a conservative. And you will notice how he always has the “conservative POV” in the beginning, and by the end he loses it and becomes more liberal.

It's genius really. :wink:

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved