Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

The transition from sketchbook to online. Help!
TwilightPrincess90 at 6:28PM, Oct. 6, 2006
(offline)
So here's the dealio, I have a scanner sometimes, well more like rarely, and I have GIMP now but am just learning how to use it. I prefer the conventional method of making a manga which is drawing it in pencil then inking it and it works fine ofr me but when I scan it and convert it to ping it still looks pixelly, the lines are never black enough and my page is almost always smudged with pencil marks that I just can't get off. So, I would greatly appreciate any tips on how to solve these problems. Also a link to a GIMP tutorial that helps with these problems would be absolutely awesome.
Thankyou
TwilightPrincess90
Really cool prisma colours- $50
Really cool inking pens- $3
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
Drawing many yaoi filled pages!
PRICELESS!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
gigatwo at 8:56PM, Oct. 6, 2006
(online)
Could you post an image of one of the scanned in images? If I see an example than I should be able to make a step by step tutorial for you. I just need to know the state of the scans.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
Lsnewton at 11:02PM, Oct. 6, 2006
(online)
I'm not familiar with GIMP, but these are general things that should be in all decent editors:
-Scan at a high resolution (300dpi works best), and resize your image down to something useable.
-Make sure you scan in or convert it to greyscale (a lot of scanners give you weird bits of couloured noise).
-There should be a tool that lets you set your white/black levels, ie: whites are whiter and blacks are blacker. In Photoshop this can be the ‘curves’ or ‘levels’ tool. Alternatively, if GIMP doesn't have an equivalent, just use the brightness/contrast controller to increase contrast and balance it out to however you want.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
TwilightPrincess90 at 8:17AM, Oct. 7, 2006
(offline)
Gigatwo Um well all the images I have right now are on my comic, I have yet to scan something with GIMP right now because once again I'm without a scanner and thanks for the tips Lsnewton.
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
Drawing many yaoi filled pages!
PRICELESS!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
gigatwo at 11:02AM, Oct. 7, 2006
(online)
Lsnewton
-There should be a tool that lets you set your white/black levels, ie: whites are whiter and blacks are blacker. In Photoshop this can be the ‘curves’ or ‘levels’ tool.
So you don't have trouble finding those tools:

“Tools>color tools>levels”
or
“Tools>color tools>curves”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
TwilightPrincess90 at 8:25PM, Oct. 8, 2006
(offline)
thankyou very much ^^
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10