Media Megaforum

The Universe: the distant future is a scary place...
Lonnehart at 12:03AM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
I'm watching this episode of The Universe and at some point we get to see the thing in red; with no stars left shining the whole place would be black, but seen in infrared we see black spots that used to be stars. And we'd be living near the smoldering remnants of a dead star as it slowly cools. I can see it now… space wars fought in darkness as the factions of Humanity vie for control of the remaining space campfire in order to survive….

There's a webcomic idea somewhere in this… hmm…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
ozoneocean at 2:59AM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
If there's any humanity left by then o_o
So far all life on earth hasn't even been around for as much time as it would take from now until the universe's end…

And if we do survive, I wonder if we'll actually be able to manipulate that left over matter to make something useful for ourselves. Perhaps if humanity DOES last that long we'll actually be able to change the destiny of the universe?

That might sound silly and far fetched from our perspective bow, but if you think about it, we're imagining that humanity can last for millions of years into the future. And if we actually did do that, what technology and what secrets of matter and physics would we have uncovered by then?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
lothar at 4:18AM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
i can say with absolute certainty that there will be no humans in existance at that point . maybe there will be humans 1,000 years from now , maybe in 10,ooo years , but after that IF we survive , we will evolve , not naturally evolve ..
so by the time the universe burns out , we prolly got a long way to go before that happens , i would guess several times the age of the current universe , long before that time our descendants will have figured out a way to get into all those other dimensions with their other universes and even create custome made artificial universes

so theres no need to worry
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Lonnehart at 2:44PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
According to what I saw on the show, we might unlock the secrets to entering other universes. And with that knowledge we could escape the ultimate fate of the Universe. Well… that is… if we could get through humanity's current problems (y'know… war, megalomania, etc…)…

Of course, this is all assuming that the universe will die from Heat Death. Right now it's just theory, but in my opinion it's the most possible fate the Universe will have…
lba at 6:13PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
I think I'd probably have to laugh if the earth and human race turned out to be the only current living planet which evolves into other “alien” life forms and gets far enough to develop the technology required to create alternate universes, change the space-time continuum, change the universe's historical path, etc. It would just destroy everything that science fiction writers have gone on about us evolving from aliens, being wiped out by another race, etc. for the last several decades. The idea that instead of it being some ultra-advance alien race, it's us who is the ancient ultra-advanced race who disappeared into time or whatever.

And before anyone even thinks of it, I lay claim to this story concept.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Senshuu at 7:29PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(offline)
I hope humanity's never driven to the point where we just HAVE to start messing with stuff beyond our planet. I mean, Earth…she's pretty nice still.

Heat Death sounds like an awesome name for a comic based on the stuff mentioned ITT. %D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Lonnehart at 11:12PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
Senshuu
I hope humanity's never driven to the point where we just HAVE to start messing with stuff beyond our planet. I mean, Earth…she's pretty nice still.

And she'll stay nice… for maybe a billion years or a lot less. The sun is constantly burning fuel, and as a result is constantly contracting. And as it does it gets hotter, causing the earth to get hotter. And if that didn't get us to leave, 2.5 billion years from now (guestimated) the fire within the Earth will be out meaning no more new atmosphere. Earth will lose its water and atmosphere and turn into a planet like Mars. Of course we'll be able to leave the planet by then.

And we'll be tinkering with stuff outside of Earth long before that happens anyway.
anise shaw at 11:24PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(offline)
That's the scary thing about linear time: Everything will at one time change so much that it will be considered ended. Me, you, the Earth, the Universe, everything.

The nice thing is, “endings” are really just a definition based on human conception. Even if we're looking at the end of all matter, there will still be no matter.

It's all very subjective at its core.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
ozoneocean at 12:50AM, Feb. 12, 2009
(online)
That's quite true Anise. Really the universe only seems to end from ou point of view, but it'll still just BE really, in another form.
Lonnehart
And we'll be tinkering with stuff outside of Earth long before that happens anyway.
Maybe we will or maybe we'll be all gone long before then?

I once read a great book by Frederick Pohl called “The World at the End of Time”. It's a dual story about creatures that live in stars, or are stars (plasma based), and colonists from earth.
It'd take too long to describe all that happened… But in the end through the star-creature's manipulation of quantum forces it unwittingly helps the earth colony survive until the heat death of the universe. - being a star creature it had a very long lifespan so it noticed that there was less energy left as the millennia passed… it sent some small solar systems off at relativistic speeds so they they'd be around with enough energy to supply it by the time things were getting grim.

So in that scenario humans made it to the “end of time”. There was a nice cliffhanger where their little society was just getting back on its feet again after hundreds of years of decline and they were exploring their solar system again, rediscovering space travel etc. And they start to work out what happened to the rest of the universe. They find enormous and strange devices on one of the planets near their sun. The cliffhanger is that it'll take the star creature a few thousand years to reach that sun (they don't know this and the creature doesn't know about them), but the humans will have that time to puzzle out the technology… So you wonder who will come out on top in the end.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Senshuu at 2:17AM, Feb. 12, 2009
(offline)
Lonnehart
And she'll stay nice… for maybe a billion years or a lot less. The sun is constantly burning fuel, and as a result is constantly contracting. And as it does it gets hotter, causing the earth to get hotter. And if that didn't get us to leave, 2.5 billion years from now (guestimated) the fire within the Earth will be out meaning no more new atmosphere. Earth will lose its water and atmosphere and turn into a planet like Mars. Of course we'll be able to leave the planet by then.

I just think of things like Chernobyl (my friend brought it up recently) and wonder how long we've got as we are, despite having a still-nice planet.

anise shaw
That's the scary thing about linear time: Everything will at one time change so much that it will be considered ended. Me, you, the Earth, the Universe, everything.

The nice thing is, “endings” are really just a definition based on human conception. Even if we're looking at the end of all matter, there will still be no matter.

It's all very subjective at its core.

Hehe. Ending before you die. But to many, death is not the end!

Ozone, that sounds like a really awesome book. I should read it.
I often wonder about this “end of time” concept. I know a timeless world will be awesome, but to think of it bugs me, and it has bugged me ever since the “End of Time” in Chrono Trigger. It just doesn't make any sense when you look at it that way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Lonnehart at 12:59AM, Feb. 13, 2009
(online)
I guess it's true. The Universe will settle into a state where only photons exist, but it will still go on. Still, it's a scary place to be in…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved