Media Megaforum

The Worst Books ever
hat at 1:21PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
Three words: Jonathan Livingston Seagull .
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
joe_vee at 11:08PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
fern
The Catcher in the Rye
Holden Caulfield is the equivalency of some of the I'm better than you idiots here on DD.

Hawk
I have a tough time pinning down the "Worst book ever". But I can tell you that I really hated Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. Somebody tell me why 85% of the books I had to read in school have been women's literature. No offense to the women out there, but I want balance.

GAAAH! I loved both of those books ><.
~ You Are What You Love, Not What Loves You ~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Freegurt at 2:57PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
I might get stabbed for this, but the Harry Potter series. I read the books and didn't understand why people were so scarily obsessed with it.
It doesn't make sense to me to have such superfluous (and dangerous) things at some school where people's ‘beloved’ children go. Why build a school near a forbidden forest with deadly soul-sucking creatures in it? Are the parents in these books so stupid to put their children in jeopardy of their lives to just learn magic? Seriously, how many people died in the freaking book AT the school (and were students nonetheless).
I've read many books 100 times better (and much more original) than this series but they didn't get any attention.
Anyway, I'm done ranting. -__-
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Custard Trout at 4:22PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
Freegurt
Harry Potter.

YES

Thank god someone else can see how truly awful those books are, it's like the author (can't remember her name, don't care either) opened the ‘bumper book of completely generic storytelling’ while directly copying passages from other books. I hate those books, those films, that bitch. I would mutilate myself with glee if it would condemn her to the depths of hell for eternity.

My least favourite non-Harry Shitpile book is The Wizard of Earthsea, it's like Lord of the Rings, only 50% less epic and 500% more boring.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Priest_Revan at 6:03PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
It was kinda difficult for me to find a book I didn't like. I don't read books (not text books) often, so it was hard for me to choose, but a book I couldn't stand is “the curious incident of the dog in the night-time” by Mark Haddon. I hated this book.

I'm sure most of you never read it, but the book basically revolves around this autistic kid who is trying to figure out some stuff in his life. I hated reading it because I, for one, didn't choose to read the book and I didn't care about some fiction kid's life.

Shocking, though. I actually love a Ayn Rand book, but hate a Mark Haddon book… wonderful.

Someone
Why build a school near a forbidden forest with deadly soul-sucking creatures in it?

Just to clarify, the dementors weren't always there.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
MysteriousJeff at 6:20PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
Well, I have to say Pride and Prejudice. Why? Well, I'm not saying it's horrible since there's all these points about Old English life and satire and whatnot, but strictly put, it's boring. And unlike nearly every other book I've ever read, It's a chore to read. That's right. A CHORE. I haven't even finished it yet and if it wasn't for the fact that it's school required, I wouldn't! There is not much really keeping me interested in what happens next.

A book shouldn't have to be like doing work, it just shouldn't…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
magickmaker at 6:30PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
…I liked To Kill a Mockingbird. It was one of the books my mom read to me when I was little. (I think she edited it a bit, though. Also, yes, I have read it since then.)

My most most memorable least favorite book is probably Jane Eyre. It seemed like the whole book was about screwing over the ugly girl. And the ending was soooo sappy. Bleah.

There are books I like less, but I don't really feel like trying to remember them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Frostflowers at 2:09AM, Jan. 22, 2008
(online)
The Waste - er, Wheel of Time sucks on an epic level. I also gave up on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth cycle pretty early, and I'm glad I did - apparently, later in the series, his bad worldbuilding gets worse, and he tries to insert evil killer chickens (“This was no ordinary chicken. Oh no, this was the embodiment of evil” ). Evil killer chickens. In a serious fantasy novel. (And the less said about his sexism, the better.)

For more… classic books, I have to nominate Midnight's Children, by Salman Rushdie. While I'm sure the topic itself was fascinating - a chronicle of the life of a single family, from the Indian declaration of independence in 1947 - but Salman Rushdie's extreme fondness for describing the disgusting, dripping nose of his main character over and over and OVER AGAIN really got on my nerves.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
ozoneocean at 3:29AM, Jan. 22, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers
The Waste - er, Wheel of Time sucks on an epic level.
Indeed!

It's a good thing he died when he did. leaves that fatuous piece of fluff in its true and destined state; unresolved, unfinished, open-ended, pointless and quite literally: ENDLESS… Because he never got to write it ;)

A friend back in art college was addicted to it and extolled its virtues endlessly. I had no other interest than in the pic on the front cover of the first book… until I picked one up in a job-lot of second hand books somewhere. I read the first one right through pretty fast and it seemed like a good little young adult fantasy. Nicely formulaic in the right ways and long enough to be satisfying. So I had to get the next one… Which wasn't quite as good, but seemed to be developing into… …something?

And on and on. :( It developed into NOTHING! Gradually the plot got thinner and the characters become more flat and stupid until most of the writing consisted of:

"Ugh, I can't understand GIRLSSSS! They are a mystery to meeee!!!“

And:

”Ooo we girlzz know SO MUCH because we are pure and have secret knowledge. MMmm yesyesyesyesyes! :3 AND BOUYZ R STOOPID AND DIRTY AND SILLY! …but they give us strange feelings in our secret places TEHEHEHEHE!"

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Exzachly at 11:55PM, Jan. 23, 2008
(online)
I'm just going to throw in James Joyce's Ulysses for annoyance and pretentious factors. It's definitely not one of the worst books ever, but I try to avoid reading horrible books. ;)

And for sheer over-hypedness I'll add Cormack McCarty's the Road. God, his descriptions are horrible. Really redundant and cliched word choices. Not a horrible story, but terribly written.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Hawk at 12:40PM, Jan. 24, 2008
(online)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

I read it and you know what? I still don't know why the caged bird sings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Lokidoll at 2:33PM, Jan. 24, 2008
(offline)
“My brother Sam is dead”

The best character was Sam..and although I knew he was going to die I was expecting something like…you know, an HONORABLE death. But no…he was ‘made an example of’. In the worst way possible. The content matter although interesting it was not the kind of thing I'm personally into.
But my biggest complaint was the main character. ( narrator ) He was whiny, complained a lot and over the 200+ pages of the book had very little to bring to the table….

I know a lot of people love this book, and my reasons for disliking it may be stupid, but…I'm sorry. I just don't like it. Dx;
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Dragonizer at 3:24PM, Jan. 24, 2008
(online)
The Pearl I hated. It was exremely boring and… just ugh.
Last year in school, we had to read Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradburry. I HATED it, and so did everyone else in my class. It was horribly confusing, quite boring, and all the characters in there were complete idiots.

And now THIS year, we have to read another Bradburry book. It's Something Wicked This Way Comes. It's just so… stupid.
Yeah, and I also hate Ray Bradburry. :/
K.A.L.A.-dan! Morality Pet >:3
The end of time will be the end of guilt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:15PM
Merrywhite Jenkins at 3:27PM, Jan. 24, 2008
(offline)
Wise Children. :/
“Oh, I'm going to be all mold-breaking with my non-linear storyline and my annoying postmodernist overtones, and…and…and…INCEST!”
deviantArt. Osu!
K.A.L.A.-dan! Mascot! OSU!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
timethief at 7:53PM, Jan. 24, 2008
(offline)
the old man and the sea I've never understood how can a book be so short and so boring at the same time!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Merrywhite Jenkins at 6:15AM, Jan. 25, 2008
(offline)
Oh. The Fellowship of the Ring, too. Not that the book itself was /bad/, but reading through all the description was just a chore. :/
It's not so bad in the other two, but Tolkien could produce waffle of such epic proportions that the actual storyline got lost somewhere amid all the delightful adjectives. :S
deviantArt. Osu!
K.A.L.A.-dan! Mascot! OSU!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
an_artist at 1:45AM, Feb. 5, 2008
(offline)
I'll have to third Lord of the Rings. 3 (long) books, and I can summarise the entire plot in 32 words - The Good guys take an Evil ring made of Evil and decide to destroy it, because they are Good and it is the Right thing to do. Then they succeed, the end.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
ozoneocean at 5:49AM, Feb. 5, 2008
(online)
an_artist
I can summarise the entire plot in 32 words
That's not the entire plot. lol!
Eh, you can summarise anything like that.
Hamlet:
Emo boy prince is a complete f-up, everyone dies. The end. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
Black_Kitty at 6:36PM, Feb. 5, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
an_artist
I can summarise the entire plot in 32 words
That's not the entire plot. lol!
Eh, you can summarise anything like that.
Hamlet:
Emo boy prince is a complete f-up, everyone dies. The end. :)

Everyone EXCEPT Horatio~ ;)

I actually enjoyed Pride and Prejudice. I can't explain why but it was the only book in my Major British Writers course that I just couldn't put down. It's been years since I've read it though so I don't know if my feelings have changed about it. I also remember enjoying Catcher in the Rye but that too was years ago (probably almost a decade even?) so it's not clear how I feel about it now.

Normally I would say that if I dislike a book, I would just stop reading it. However Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth series has the annoying honour of being the one series I've read where it was bad, oh yes, but I couldn't stop reading. I think there was always this secret hope that maybe it'll be good again (much like the first book of the series.) But no, all it did was get crappier.

I was talking about the series once with someone and I think I've narrowed it down to where the cancer of this whole otherwise promising series began. You see all the characters, particularly the female characters, are actually quite awesome in the series. They do great and fantastic things…until they meet Richard who is the main character of the story. Then Richard becomes this black hole where all awesomeness goes to die and they too begin to suck.

Richard is like some Mary Sue of the fantasy literature world where he can just never die because for some reason, nothing applies to him. Each time he is just about to die, he suddenly has this unexplained new skill and escapes in this near impossible way. Richard was just killing me slowly, eating away at my hopes that this series would actually get better.

I put my foot down for the final book of the series (Confessor). Screw you Richard for not dying.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
spiritmonkey at 8:42AM, Feb. 6, 2008
(offline)
magickmaker
Jane Eyre. It seemed like the whole book was about screwing over the ugly girl. And the ending was soooo sappy. Bleah.

I completely agree with you.
We had it read to us in english (we weren't even allowed our own copy to read along) and all I can say is that it was complete b****cks.
And what made it worse was that our teacher was completely into it.
And she made us watch the BBC dramatised version.

rar

Timmy And the Bleach

There are many things in this world that are uncertain
I'd say I'm one of them
But I'm not sure
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
Hawk at 9:30AM, Feb. 6, 2008
(online)
Yeah, I hated Jane Eyre too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Whirlwynd at 9:56AM, Feb. 6, 2008
(online)
I could fill up a bookshelf with the books I had to read in college that I didn't like. I think it was worth it to find the books I did like.

But for the worst, I'd have to go with The Egoist by George Meredith. I had to read that for an English literature class. Most of the books for the course (including Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre) were tolerable but this one just about drove me insane. It had the most irritating characters I've ever read about and it dragged on for 600+ pages. It turned out I was one of about three people in the class that actually finished it. The book had no Sparknotes entry so I was subject to a lot of questions before the last class we were discussing it lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Maxw3ll at 8:16PM, Feb. 6, 2008
(offline)
Jane Eyre
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Drasnus at 2:01PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
Someone in my class did a talk about that book. My brain was melting, it seemed incredibly awful.

I haven't read anything awful, I've read boring books which I don't finish but mostly I've read great books. Oh, except when I was made to read that book about the time travelling junior football team. That made my brain try to escape.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
ozoneocean at 4:21PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez was turgid and dull. It felt like it took a hundred years to read. That's cheap but true. :(

Maggie Fury's Aurian Saga. -she just didn't know where she was going with it… If you're going to write a saga, have a F***ing plan!!!!!!!! It's not a damn webcomic that you can spin on and expand…

Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer. I think that was the title… can't remember who the author was, but that's a good thing. The book had nothing to do with Frazzeta except the cover image. The writer was just plain bad. I read that book largely for the extreme comedy factor of the awful writing, the man was an idiot. Piece of comedy gold: “He reached down a hand that was like a small child”- that's the guys idea of clever simile, in the story context he's saying the guy had a massive hand. The whole thing was full of imbecilic metaphor and simile that didn't belong, as well as really lame sword and sorcery fantasy.

ccs1989 at 2:36PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
Are you talking about the comic, Ozone? Cause I heard Death Dealer was a pretty cool comic. Although comics in general these days are pretty bad.

On topic, “Tree of Smoke” is undoubtably the worst book I've ever been unable to finish. Just because a book focuses on Vietnam and has lots characters doesn't mean it's good. The diction level keeps changing with every sentence (sometimes in the same sentence) and there are so many fragments it's ridiculous. It seems that the book also has a curious effect on reviewers. Reviewers LOVE the book, but after reading it seem unable to write any kind of concise or focused reviews about it. Instead their minds appear to wander and the finished product is a meandering mess of praise for the book and its author with no reasoning behind it. Anyway it's a pretentious mess of a book, so don't read it.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
timelike01 at 1:51PM, March 18, 2008
(offline)
The book Emotional Intelligence, written by Daniel Goleman, is substantially one of the worst book I ever read. It seems to push the obscene notion that those with low emotional intelligence (EQ)deserve all the bad stuff that happens to them and that low EQ people need to be spit on and disrespected. In my mind, that sort of thinking is comparable to the theory of aryan racial “supremecy.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
phantasmagraph at 2:23PM, March 18, 2008
(offline)
Priest_Revan
It was kinda difficult for me to find a book I didn't like. I don't read books (not text books) often, so it was hard for me to choose, but a book I couldn't stand is “the curious incident of the dog in the night-time” by Mark Haddon. I hated this book.

I was so let down by that book. I was all into this kid trying to solve the mystery of the missing dog and then bam halfway through he's anti-climactly told the what happened and i don't know he goes off in search of his deadbeat dad or something i lost interest after that and didn't bother finishing it.

“Black Ice” Black girl goes to what used to be an all-white college, complains about her smelly boyfriend jumping while she's asleep. I say “complains” as in she's only seemed mildy upset. She complained about a lot of things like that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
phantasmagraph at 2:27PM, March 18, 2008
(offline)
Jane Eyre gets no love.

I'm sorry i'm a Bronte fanboy. We're a rare breed i think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
ozoneocean at 12:59AM, March 19, 2008
(online)
ccs1989
Are you talking about the comic, Ozone? Cause I heard Death Dealer was a pretty cool comic. Although comics in general these days are pretty bad.
No, a couple of novels.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved