Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The Zombie invasion is upon us, choose your weapons!
Crazy Dutchman at 3:09PM, March 7, 2007
(offline)
My socks…… nothing more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Red Slayer at 3:23PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
WingNut
Hmm Phantom, you make a compelling case. I'll have to look into this new information and I'll tell you what I think when I get off work tonight. :D

Still, the main focus of this discussion is what armaments would you carry on your person and why. Any options for those?

-W
Reasons?

Glock: you can choose between full auto and semi auto, so you don't really need an assault rifle, they are smaller than said riffles and thus easy to carry.

Shotgun: crowd control.

Ammo: lotsa zeds in a horde.

Grenades: Again crowd control and in case i need to blow something up.

Your mom: do i really need to explain?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
CorruptComics at 3:31PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
A-10 Warthog, a tanks best friend :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
LowResAtari at 4:12PM, March 7, 2007
(offline)
I still think my supplies were ultimate.
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
CorruptComics at 4:34PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
I'd be willing to use my Spork of Doom upon the undead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 4:44PM, March 7, 2007
(offline)
The Real Mega Buster.

A.K.A. best Dead Rising weapon ever.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
LIZARD_B1TE at 4:50PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
S.T.A.R.S.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
subcultured at 4:51PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
milla jovovich
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
WingNut at 4:59PM, March 7, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
milla jovovich

Now THATS using your noggin'.

Good choice Sub. ;D

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:04PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
subcultured
milla jovovich

…… Damn. I was going to say that, but I forgot her name and was too lazy to look it up. :( So I settled for S.T.A.R.S….
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Generic Human at 6:04PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
WingNut
The baseball bat is not totally useless m'dear, you don't always have to KILL the zombie, and in most situations, running is by far the batter option.

-W

I'm against most bludgeon weapons. Why use all that energy to beat in a zombie's face when it would take much less energy to slice? Have you ever seen those cartoons where they hit someone/something with a bat or a shovel, and it rings all the way up their arms and they start shaking? As silly as it looks, that's exactly what if feels like, even hitting something as small and squishy as a baseball wrong hurts your hands. Can you imagine repeatingly hitting a zombie in the head with that? And if you get surrounded, it's no use. A baseball bat is as fast as you are, which isn't fast enough. And sure you don't have to kill the zombie, but there are a lot better weapons to use as hit and run weapons. Besides, I don't think a baseball bat is as durable as people think it is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
subcultured at 6:07PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
i would bring along generic human for zombie bait
J
WingNut at 6:10PM, March 7, 2007
(offline)
Oof, no way man, after that tirade she's probably among the most powerful weapons available in this arsenal! :)

-W
Generic Human at 6:16PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
-flexs muscles-

I bet I could outrun you, Sub!
subcultured at 6:27PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
hahaha prolly
J
Generic Human at 6:38PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
subcultured
hahaha prolly

Nah…I have stubby legs, I was just goofin'.
subcultured at 6:48PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
well you can always get on top of my shoulder and we can chicken fight our way through the zombie hordes ^_^
J
reconjsh at 6:51PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
Generic Human
WingNut
The baseball bat is not totally useless m'dear, you don't always have to KILL the zombie, and in most situations, running is by far the batter option.

-W

I'm against most bludgeon weapons. Why use all that energy to beat in a zombie's face when it would take much less energy to slice? Have you ever seen those cartoons where they hit someone/something with a bat or a shovel, and it rings all the way up their arms and they start shaking? As silly as it looks, that's exactly what if feels like, even hitting something as small and squishy as a baseball wrong hurts your hands. Can you imagine repeatingly hitting a zombie in the head with that? And if you get surrounded, it's no use. A baseball bat is as fast as you are, which isn't fast enough. And sure you don't have to kill the zombie, but there are a lot better weapons to use as hit and run weapons. Besides, I don't think a baseball bat is as durable as people think it is.

Even current day masters of the katana struggle to slice completely through thick flesh and bone with EVERY stroke. Granted, the katana's effectiveness is about speed, technique and sharpness and not about strength. But if you think you can go around lopping off heads, you're sadly mistaken.

The baseball bat is a much more effective choice… even when you're tired you can raise the bat and move it downwards with enough force to smash a skull and like I said, the best with katanas nowadays would struggle to decapatate consistantly with every stroke. If you're nervous or starled, you're probably less likely to use a katana properly than a baseball bat. Or you could just hold the bat and start spinning. If you're lucky enough to land a hit, it could take out the zombie. This isn't the case with the katana. If the katana got stopped, even once out of 100 in mid slice through a zombie, you'd be toast… that katana would be hard to get control over again. The bat is bludgeoning so really the only limitation is your muscle endurance. And a real katana and a light aluminum baseball probably don't weight so much differently that an endurance comparision is relevant. Also consider that perhaps YOU can lop off heads at will with the katana… but can anyone else you encounter? It's unlikely that they'd have the advanced technique and speed required to do such a feat. But if you had to pass off a bat, most everyone can swing it and be lethal.

The baseball bat beats the katana hands down for overall zombie effectiveness.
WingNut at 6:54PM, March 7, 2007
(offline)
Just putting this out there, but should the zombie invasion strike, I want Reconjsh on my team.

-W
reconjsh at 6:56PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
WingNut
Just putting this out there, but should the zombie invasion strike, I want Reconjsh on my team.

-W

LOL - why?

subcultured at 7:02PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
baseball bat? pishhh

cricket bat is more suitable!
J
Phantom Penguin at 7:07PM, March 7, 2007
(offline)
reconjsh
Phantom Penguin
Not percise? ha! You must never seen a tank fired by me!

I can hit a human target at 8000 meters with a Sabot round, witch has no explosives, its a giant DU bullet.

It also has 3 machine guns all of which are very powerful and with skill you can be on target.
zombies come in hordes right?

1) hordes wouldnt be able to get at you (you would be inside)
2) hordes would be blasted into nothing with a single HEAT round
3) can sit out till rescue.

a HEAT round doesn't just throw out shrapnel it would make anything within 100 meters not just be blown apart…it would disinagrate them.

a tank is NEVER useless.
lol!

This is such a tanker mindset. They're taught in OSUT there's nothing better than them on the battlefield. On the open, well supplied battlefield, perhaps this is true. But what happens when you run out of food? What happens when you run out of 5.56 or 7.62? What happens when your like 30 main tube rounds are gone? Yeah, tankers think they're invincible… but I've proven hundreds of times in training scenarios that my radio is much more powerful than an entire company of tanks… and those tanks had fuel and ammo.

So you'd survive a couple days…

So once you run out, you're stuck with your wussy M9 Barreta and a metal box… and you spent the last few days blowing away hordes and so all the other zombies are now attracted to all the sound you made. And we all know that there's no safe place in zombie scenarios. Mobility and running are the only solutions. Zombies will always win out on a stationary target. Eventually, some topless damsel will come banging on the turret hatch… or maybe you'll just have to take a #2… and you'll be lonely and hungry and as soon as you open the door, the zombie that's just an upper torso that you thought was dead springs to life and nibbles your forearm. Now you have to suffer the long transition to zombiehood. And since your other tanker buddies aren't gonna leave cause tankers NEVER dismount, you're all toast.

-45 main gun rounds 10000 rounds of .50 cal 50000 rounds of 7.62. I've never run out of 7.62 but i have run out of the others.

-In iraq when i was out of the wire i never got out. I drop the #2 inside the tank and put it in the sub turret until i could get out.

-I know we aren't invinsable, but unless zombies start shooting TOWs or placing huge IEDs i should be good.

-In a perfect zombie attack (is that possible?) i would only move if i needed food, if i ran out of ammo i would lock up and hope my tracks didn't slip on the sheer amount of zombie guts.

I would be better off then if i tryed running around in that POS you cav call a bradley :)

(im just playing)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
reconjsh at 7:16PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
Someone
put in the sub turret until i could get out.

And when would this be? What if the zombie invasion was indefinite? That's just how things are now? At some time, you'd HAVE to get out. You'll, eventually, run out of ammo, fuel, food, and places to store poo without making you sick.

And if zombie movies have taught me anything, the one time you open the hatch 1 inch to throw out some poo or fill up the 500 gallon gas tank… you're toast. If not for any other reason than you THOUGHT you were safe. The confident people ALWAYS die. And who lives? The virgin with big boobs. That's it, I'm getting a sex change so I can survive Wingnut's zombie invasion.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd definitly be all about riding along in an abrams. I've both driven and fired one… and I'd love to put that into use on a zombie hoarde. Hell, I'd just like to see it.

But,
1) I'd mostly only go along because if the zombie evasion were true, I'd probably instantly count my @$$ as toast and just try to have a hoot.
2) And if I didn't count my @$$ as toast, I'd definitly remain mobile. These are slow moving zombies, afterall. I'd drive a SUV or something… something I could reliably find fuel for (at least more reliably than a tank, lol)

Question: I don't remember what fuel the tank took specifically. I know it's jet fuel for the jet turbine engine… but what was it called? “JP8” or something like that, right?

GUNNER, HEAT, 10 STATIONARY ZOMBIES IN THE OPEN. FIRE! (that's right, I know my burm drills, =P)

Someone
I would be better off then if i tryed running around in that POS you cav call a bradley

(im just playing)

It's okay. Bradleys really are POSs. I was a HMMW-V scout. =P I did actual recon. Not hunter-killer armor support BS.
reconjsh at 7:20PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
subcultured
baseball bat? pishhh

cricket bat is more suitable!

Well, I probably agree. What my real arguement was: that medium bludgeoning weapons like baseball bats are > katanas by alot.

Shaun of the Dead… BOOOYYYYIIIIEEEE!
Generic Human at 7:24PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
Generic Human
WingNut

-W

Even current day masters of the katana struggle to slice completely through thick flesh and bone with EVERY stroke. Granted, the katana's effectiveness is about speed, technique and sharpness and not about strength. But if you think you can go around lopping off heads, you're sadly mistaken.

The baseball bat is a much more effective choice… even when you're tired you can raise the bat and move it downwards with enough force to smash a skull and like I said, the best with katanas nowadays would struggle to decapatate consistantly with every stroke. If you're nervous or starled, you're probably less likely to use a katana properly than a baseball bat. Or you could just hold the bat and start spinning. If you're lucky enough to land a hit, it could take out the zombie. This isn't the case with the katana. If the katana got stopped, even once out of 100 in mid slice through a zombie, you'd be toast… that katana would be hard to get control over again. The bat is bludgeoning so really the only limitation is your muscle endurance. And a real katana and a light aluminum baseball probably don't weight so much differently that an endurance comparision is relevant. Also consider that perhaps YOU can lop off heads at will with the katana… but can anyone else you encounter? It's unlikely that they'd have the advanced technique and speed required to do such a feat. But if you had to pass off a bat, most everyone can swing it and be lethal.

The baseball bat beats the katana hands down for overall zombie effectiveness.

Like I said, you wouldn't have to aim for the head. You aim for the neck. And I completely disagree with your statement, “even when you're tired you can raise the bat and move it downwards with enough force to smash a skull” No you can't. An example: there was this couple that lived on my old street. The wife decided to kill the husband whilst he slept on the couch. So she grabbed the aluminum baseball bat and beat him repeatidly in the face (while he was on the couch which was lower than her so she was using the advatagous gravity) and failed to kill him. Sure she broke some bones, but he's still livin'! What makes you think that while you're tired that you could bash through a skull with a wussy aluminum bat? Have you proof? I think you're overestimating your strength and the strength of an average human.

Also, if I were in the position where I could be startled by a zombie, (it would need to pop out of somewhere close to me, and be a loner. I would see a horde of zombies approaching and have already readied my shotgun.)I probably wouldn't have my katana out, I'd have my trench spike out, which isn't hard to use at all. you punch pretty much. You made an argument fueding the bat against a katana, but there are many more capable weapons.

And if you were surrounded by zombies, pulling a Link and spinning with your bat prolly wouldn't do more than make you dizzy. A zombie wouldn't go down, I garuntee it. Hell, I doubt a human would go down. As for your statement about weight, it doesn't matter how light a bat is, smashing it into something repeatedly is still going to wear you out faster than something that could slice through rotting flesh.
BigFishComic at 7:27PM, March 7, 2007
(offline)
what was that thing they were using to kill monsters in the descent? like an ice pick? it looked mighty useful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
reconjsh at 7:34PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
All good points. I concede most of them.

Mostly I was trying to demonstrate that, when you're not at your peak performance the bludegoner will be better than the slicer. And during a zombie invasion, you'll pretty much NEVER be at anywhere NEAR peak performance. The neck is a pretty thick muscle and the spine is a fair bone as well. Not to mention that it takes a specific stroke to sever a neck… which is also not a large target, nor an easy one on a mobile opponent.

The bludgeoner just seems the most user friendly. I guess I can't speak for the average human. I can speak for me though… and bonking a zombie on their head seems way more effective than trying to cut a head off.

Severing the spinal cord or destroying the brain is how you traditionally kill zombies. And destroying the brain doesn't seem like that hard of task with an actual swing when compared to the ridiculous mastery it'd take to lop off heads at the neck with a katana. I doubt sincerely that many of us here on these forums could use a katana even slightly effectively in a zombie invasion. But a bludgeoner like a baseball bat? Most of us could bust some skulls.

I guess if I weren't me… and I was some character in a movie… hell yes I'd want the katana. They all look wicked with them. But from a practical view… and considering I'm ME and we're all of US… the bludeoner is the clear victor.

NOTE: In Dungeons and Dragons… the bludeoner doesn't take an attack and damage penalty for fighting undead… the slicers and peircers do. D&D GEEKS, HOOOOO!
Generic Human at 7:44PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
All good points. I concede most of them.

Mostly I was trying to demonstrate that, when you're not at your peak performance the bludegoner will be better than the slicer. And during a zombie invasion, you'll pretty much NEVER be at anywhere NEAR peak performance. The neck is a pretty thick muscle and the spine is a fair bone as well. Not to mention that it takes a specific stroke to sever a neck… which is also not a large target, nor an easy one on a mobile opponent.

The bludgeoner just seems the most user friendly. I guess I can't speak for the average human. I can speak for me though… and bonking a zombie on their head seems way more effective than trying to cut a head off.

Severing the spinal cord or destroying the brain is how you traditionally kill zombies. And destroying the brain doesn't seem like that hard of task with an actual swing when compared to the ridiculous mastery it'd take to lop off heads at the neck with a katana. I doubt sincerely that many of us here on these forums could use a katana even slightly effectively in a zombie invasion. But a bludgeoner like a baseball bat? Most of us could bust some skulls.

I guess if I weren't me… and I was some character in a movie… hell yes I'd want the katana. They all look wicked with them. But from a practical view… and considering I'm ME and we're all of US… the bludeoner is the clear victor.

i imagine, that if you were in the position where you had to learn to use a sword so you could slice off some head of zombies, you'd learn pretty quick the best way to slice off some heads. I guess you and I would just go about our buisness different when it comes to zombies. I wasn't defending the katana, I was bashing the bat (slightly a pun). Bats aren't made for combat. It would definatly bend or break after two or three encounters. Edged weapons would be better in my view. A knife, a gladius, a ninjite, a axe anything. It's made to be fought with, and therefore will hold up better. A twelve inch non-serrated knife would be fantastic. Or a handaxe. Lovely. If I had to pick a bludgeon weapon it would be a crowbar, not a bat.
subcultured at 7:50PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
lol
i knew i picked the right partner for a zombie apocalypse
J
reconjsh at 7:58PM, March 7, 2007
(online)
The bat is a metal version of what was almost certainly the first weapon ever used by man… the club. That's why it's so great. It's so easy a geico caveman could use it.

I will concede that some edged weapons would be better than a bat.

But I think you're mistaken about swords, katanas in particular. A katana isn't going to yield the results you see in movies or even those you see authentic weilders getting. Because a sword - katana - is a weapon that is effective only when used with proper technique. Sure, I can pick up any sword and swing and kill a person. But I'm definitly not going to be able to lop off heads of zombies without an awesome swing.

And you'll most probably never get an “awesome swing” by just picking it up and practicing with it.

But I digress.

I would still love to fight with you though. I can appreciate anyone that thinks things through and that'd be the type of person I'd want to roll with. And with your mad head lopping abilities and my… um, sissy red wiffle bat, we'd be unstoppable.

A Greataxe… now there's a weapon I'd be all for. I'm built for weilding a greataxe. I'm tall and big… I just didn't include it on my list because I don't have one.

And there's also the practicality of sharpening, oiling/cleaning to prevent rust, having a blade around during the not zombie times and potentially hurting someone or yourself… etc etc. And for me, put up against a bat. Meh.

The simplest solution is usually the best.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon