Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The Zombie invasion is upon us, choose your weapons!
Red Slayer at 8:55AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Amelius
stuff
I'd rather be near a gun store just in case.
“Nails and bats may wound and break, but guns where made for killing.”-Me, just now.

I may change the Glock for a 22, light, small and easier to carry ammo, they don't make much noise and almost anyone can use one.

Good choice for the zed killer on the go.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Priceman at 9:45AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
WingNut
Slow moving, Max Brooks-ian Zombies. The classic zombie if you will.

-W

Hehe, oh yea.

Katana blade ~ Light weight, easy to use. Easy to transport and keep sharp. Prime melee weapon. If you don't belive me, check out this comic www.livingwithzombies.com

Baseball Bat (aluminum) ~ When you need blunt, is there any better choice? Backup melee weapon.

Shotgun ~ This….is…my….BOOMSTICK! aside from a crossbow, zombie killing isn't complete without a shotty! High destructive power, can take out multiple zombies, and ammo is readily available. Just like on Resident Evil.

.45 ~ Simple, small, gets the job done. If you can't find ammo with this bad boy, then a zombie must've eaten your eyes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
WingNut at 9:56AM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
You know, judging from all of these posts, and the voracity in which you all defend your zombie slaughtering weapons of choice, I must say…

When the Zombie apocolypse comes, Webcomicer's will be the ones to survive. ;D

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
subcultured at 10:03AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
oh noes! generic human was actually a zombie and is gonna infect everyone on DD!

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
WingNut at 10:37AM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
AAAGGHHH!! Kill it! Kill it!

(bitchin photomanip Sub, thats AWESOME!)

-W
Generic Human at 10:41AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
-grins evily- It's true. I have turned and all with Bubs, and that one zombie from land of the dead, we will lead the zombies and teach them to use guns. This world will be ours!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
AQua_ng at 11:13AM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
Not on my watch!

Get them fps_Doug!

Get them again fps_Doug!

Zombie threat:

Eliminated.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
Priceman at 11:42AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
WingNut
You know, judging from all of these posts, and the voracity in which you all defend your zombie slaughtering weapons of choice, I must say…

When the Zombie apocolypse comes, Webcomicer's will be the ones to survive. ;D

-W

Damn right!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 2:58PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Generic Human
-grins evily- It's true. I have turned and all with Bubs, and that one zombie from land of the dead, we will lead the zombies and teach them to use guns. This world will be ours!

We here at the institute of Zombology would like to say: “HOLY SHIT!”

Also, we have discovered a very useful item to have in case of zombie apocalypse: Live Chickens. You can kill them and eat them, throw them at zombies, use them as bait to distract zombies, and if you're bored, you can watch them run around: hours of entertainment.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
subcultured at 3:03PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
WingNut
AAAGGHHH!! Kill it! Kill it!

(bitchin photomanip Sub, thats AWESOME!)

-W

lol that's not one of mine…that's generic human's photomanipulation

my zombie photomanipulation is this
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Phantom Penguin at 3:26PM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
I just thought of something. I need four people for my tank…im going to be doing alot of running around in a small area… :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Ozoneocean at 6:00PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
I just thought of something. I need four people for my tank…im going to be doing alot of running around in a small area… :(
No way man! Just pilot it like Rambo in the seriously stupid Rambo 3! He drove a T62 (or something) and fired all the guns at the same time lol!

Ok, I'll do a Rambo and run around with an M-60 light machine-gun, with bullet chains draped over my arms and skinny bare chest!

…I know a better weapon though. Pinky's S.S.V.5. That thing cuts through swathes of people… it's a horribly deadly weapon. Two 50 cal Vickers machine-guns and two rocket pods with 5 rockets each; great for masses of Zombies. And it's submersible: easy escape! (zombies can't swim).

As for weapons to hand… well I've got a heavy longsword and a strong light epee… Plus I can make crossbows, Crossbows for everyone!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
reconjsh at 6:35PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
And it's submersible: easy escape! (zombies can't swim).

they swam in Land of the Dead. Well, more like walked on the water's floor.
Generic Human at 7:09PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
yeah, zombies don't breath, so they can't drown, and they aren't afraid of water, so they'll pretty much drift until they find your boat. don't leave any anchors in the water! but going to water is a good idea. a small island would be perfect. especially if it has some high trees. I'd be scared if it was too big though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Ozoneocean at 8:26PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Blarg! They might be able to walk under the water or float on it, but my S.S.V.5 can't move through it! ^^

The way I look at it though, Zombies are like triffids, but much less effective because they can only multiply as fast as they can assimilate living humans. Without a new supply of living humans their number will decrease as they're destroyed. Classic zombies are very strong, relentless, tireless and home in on living things with an amazing skill, but they're stupid and easy to kill off and get away from. You could just go to a building like a castle with strong walls and live fine in there as the stupid zombies flailed about outside like morons. Even better, you could set up a flaming moat around it or some tunnels that lead directly to a chopping machine, meat grinder, or squishing machine like a car compactor and they'd walk in and kill themselves constantly until there were none left. lol!
Red Slayer at 9:56PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Blarg! They might be able to walk under the water or float on it, but my S.S.V.5 can't move through it! ^^

The way I look at it though, Zombies are like triffids, but much less effective because they can only multiply as fast as they can assimilate living humans. Without a new supply of living humans their number will decrease as they're destroyed. Classic zombies are very strong, relentless, tireless and home in on living things with an amazing skill, but they're stupid and easy to kill off and get away from. You could just go to a building like a castle with strong walls and live fine in there as the stupid zombies flailed about outside like morons. Even better, you could set up a flaming moat around it or some tunnels that lead directly to a chopping machine, meat grinder, or squishing machine like a car compactor and they'd walk in and kill themselves constantly until there were none left. lol!

Just be careful of the self embalming ones.
http://xombified.com/
Alexis at 11:20PM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
Generic Human
yeah, zombies don't breath, so they can't drown, and they aren't afraid of water, so they'll pretty much drift until they find your boat. don't leave any anchors in the water! but going to water is a good idea. a small island would be perfect. especially if it has some high trees. I'd be scared if it was too big though.

Maybe MY weapon is just another Zombie, but on a leash or something.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
WingNut at 8:34AM, March 11, 2007
(offline)
Ozone, you are my hero now. I was convinced that I was the only person on the face of this planet who had seen the “Day of the Triffids”.

Sweeeeet. ;D

-W
Ozoneocean at 8:54AM, March 11, 2007
(online)
Ha yeah! Read the book and heard the radio version too. ^^
I got high marks on my detailed designs for new and improved heavy Triffid guns that I made for an English class back in High school… lol!

That's an idea… how about we sick Triffids on the zombies as a bio-weapon?
Phantom Penguin at 11:26AM, March 11, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Phantom Penguin
No way man! Just pilot it like Rambo in the seriously stupid Rambo 3! He drove a T62 (or something) and fired all the guns at the same time lol!

Ok, I'll do a Rambo and run around with an M-60 light machine-gun, with bullet chains draped over my arms and skinny bare chest!

…I know a better weapon though. Pinky's S.S.V.5. That thing cuts through swathes of people… it's a horribly deadly weapon. Two 50 cal Vickers machine-guns and two rocket pods with 5 rockets each; great for masses of Zombies. And it's submersible: easy escape! (zombies can't swim).

As for weapons to hand… well I've got a heavy longsword and a strong light epee… Plus I can make crossbows, Crossbows for everyone!

yeah well i know i'm sooo close to being Rambo and all…but i still don't think i would like do to that :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
WingNut at 12:38PM, March 11, 2007
(offline)
No! Ozone you fool! Then you would only create UNDEAD Trifids!

THEY can only be killed by blessed salt water. It does +4d6 damage, or so I'm told. :)

-W
isukun at 1:38PM, March 11, 2007
(online)
For close range combat, I'd probably carry some sort of longsword or two handed claymore. Katana's require too much skill to really make use of their sharpness, if you can't cut all the way through, it puts you at a disadvantage. A heavier sword will knock your opponent off balance, even if it doesn't cut all the way through.

I would avoid any kind of bat. They aren't durable and the light aluminum bats defeat the purpose of even having a bat. Bludgeons get more powerful with mass. A sledgehammer would be more effective and taken close to the head can still be used at close range. A baseball bat is also a gamble since a single swing may not finish off the zombie. With the sledgehammer a single downward strike on the head will crush it like a melon. If you can't hit the head, a body shot will at least knock it back or over to buy you time to line up another shot. I would need to hang around a hardware store, though as the handles aren't as durable as the heads. Hit the zombie wrong and it runs the risk of breaking.

As for firearms, I would probably carry a rifle and a handgun. The rifle would be a 50 caliber sniper rifle of some sort. With an effective range over a mile and the killing power to turn a head into paste, it leaves little doubt over whether a zombie is really dead and keeps you a healthy distance away from your target. For closer range combat, I would want a similarly high caliber handgun. Something strong enough that wneh I stick it in a zombie's mouth and pull the trigger, there isn't enough of a head left to bite me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
jgib99 at 9:04PM, March 11, 2007
(online)
Here's a few of my personal faves for thwarting invading hordes of zombies:

Shotgun- Of course. Handy for small group of zombies.
M60- For those really huge crowds. Nothing clears a path faster that Rambo's weapon of choice.
A few claymore mines- Zombies can't go after you if their legs are torn apart.
One Hattori Hanso sword (or any sword)- For close encounters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
isukun at 12:02AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
A lot of people don't really take into account that whole hav to destroy the head thing. Fully automatic weapons generally don't have the accuracy to be useful against hordes of zombies. Bullets tear through the flesh, but leave the zombie standing, and potentially still advancing toward you. The rapid fire rate makes it nearly impossible to zero in on the heads. And an M60? You do realize that you're talking about a 23lb gun that is intended to be mounted, right? Add the ammo and you're going to be really unhappy lugging that shit around.

Shotguns have a similar problem. They really aren't effective unless you use slugs or are really close to the Zombie, both cases making them worthless against groups. You'd be better off with a more focused attack from a gun with less kickback and a greater effective range.

Video games and movies have really given people an unrealistic view of how these weapons work.
Ozoneocean at 1:52AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
isukun
Video games and movies have really given people an unrealistic view of how these weapons work.
and zombies? lol!

You have to admit it's a fair point though, the myth of gun function is closely tied to the myth of the modern Zombie horde, equally fictional :) (in a “made for movies” context)

Hmm, sledge hammers might be sure fire headcrushers, but they take it out of you in no time… I know from house remodling that a big or even medium hammer is only good for about ten hard swings before you need a rest, and less swings the more you use it. And if you miss you can badly injure yourself or at the very least leave yourself completely open and vulnerable to counter attack. I would advise slightly more evenly balanced weapons, possibly lighter too for ease of recovery, unless you're a big muscleman…

A fully steel rock hammer (like a geologist uses), is lighter, durable, has a short handle but usually a bit longer than a normal hammer, and a head specially designed for cracking any sort of rock. The full steel construction and shorter length means that it's much better balanced than a long sledge and able to be used effectively with one hand- you could easily use one in each hand. The disadvantage is the shorter range, but you make up for that in speed, recovery time, and less danger form missed hits.
skoolmunkee at 11:22AM, March 12, 2007
(offline)
isukun
Bat vs. Sledgehammer

Well Ozone already said one bit, that a sledgehammer is awfully unbalanced. I know that means there's more leverage power behind any swing, but they're really awkward to use- you can't just lift it and pop someone. If you're feeling weak at all (or always weak like girls) a sledgehammer is going to be more weight and technique than it's worth to carry around. It's difficult to hit something “wrong” with a baseball bat because it's more evenly balanced. With a sledgehammer if you don't have proper windup or weight behind it, it sort of just bonks and goes to one side (or you drop it on your foot).

I put an aluminum bat on my list because of durability, availability, familiarity, and ease of use. :) An aluminum bat may be lightweight but that means it's easy to use quickly, say if you need to even just get some space between you and the zombie so you can kill it properly with a gun. If you have the time to heave up a sledgehammer, you have the time to unwind a good smash with a baseball bat. In any case a baseball bat or a sledgehammer would never be anyone's first choice of weapon - that will probably always be a gun. A melee weapon is probably going to be chosen based on what each person can handle and what they think they'd need it most for. I'd never go around trying to kill a zombie with a baseball bat, that's putting myself too close. However, if I'm close enough to hit one with a bat, then I can drive it off a bit and get time to get my gun out and shoot it at close range.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Ozoneocean at 12:12PM, March 12, 2007
(online)
What about a golf club? A nice strong 5 iron?
Extra style points! :)
AQua_ng at 12:17PM, March 12, 2007
(offline)
Why stop there? Aluminium ladders, baby!

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
isukun at 12:27PM, March 12, 2007
(online)
The disadvantage is the shorter range, but you make up for that in speed, recovery time, and less danger form missed hits.

Missed hits are only a real issue when you're going for the downward swing to the head. Any melee weapon is going to be more practical for pushing your enemies back. The rock hammer doesn't have that advantage.

The sledgehammer is unbalanced, which is what makes it such an ideal weapon for this purpose. Because the mass is at one end, it creates a much greater force. Hitting a body from the side won't just break bones, it will physically force the enemy to the ground. That was really the point I was trying to make with both of my melee weapons. If they don't kill the zombie outright, you at least want something that is going to knock them off balance or stop their advance.

It's difficult to hit something “wrong” with a baseball bat because it's more evenly balanced.

In this case, it's very easy. Hit the zombie anywhere other than the head or from behind and you've hit it wrong. A baseball bat doesn't deliver the sheer force required to knock people off balance with a hit to the body. That is its biggest failure. Actually knocking the zombie down requires you to get far closer than you want to be to your target and you have to be able to get behind them. Since a head shot may not kill them outright, you run the risk of having the zombie simply continue their advance upon you without giving you any sort of time advantage and your swing has put you within grabbing distance.

In terms of durability, aluminum bats have a tendency to bend easily when hitting heavier objects. They are designed to have some level of give so that they can create a sort of trampoline effect when hitting a baseball or softball. When hitting a larger, heavier object this caused the bat to crumple like the panels on a car. Once the bat is bent,the force it can deliver is severely reduced. A better choice for bludgeoning would be a wooden bat.

In addition, since the bat will rarely kill a zombie and you won't get the opportunity to pull out your gun, you're stuck putting all your stregnth into a frantic assault of swings until . The sledgehammer could be used for a single swing to the body, knocking the zombie back several feet and to the ground, giving you plenty of time to pull out a handgun for the finishing blow. You'll wear yourself out much faster with the bat.
jgib99 at 4:48PM, March 12, 2007
(online)
isukun
And an M60? You do realize that you're talking about a 23lb gun that is intended to be mounted, right? Add the ammo and you're going to be really unhappy lugging that shit around.

Shotguns have a similar problem. They really aren't effective unless you use slugs or are really close to the Zombie, both cases making them worthless against groups. You'd be better off with a more focused attack from a gun with less kickback and a greater effective range.

Well. I would've added a tripod with the M60. But I think the last thing that I want to do in a zombie invasion is stand still. Unless, of course, I was on top of the roof of a secured building.

Okay. I'll ditch the M60. And go with an aluminum bat as well. Although I can't see lasting very long in a huge crowd of zombies while I'm trying to do my best Ryan Howard imitation.

But, dammit, I'm keeping the shotgun. It might not be accurate, and it may have a hell of a kickback. But I like my chances more with a shotgun than a sledgehammer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon