Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The Zombie invasion is upon us, choose your weapons!
Ozoneocean at 11:26PM, March 12, 2007
(online)
You can get solid cartridges for a shotgun can't you? At a short range that'll be a more sure fire zombie smasher than most other weapons. And if you don't want an M60 but still want to go with an LMG; try a Minimi gun, (it has a lot of other names too…). It has a smaller calibre than an M60, but it's very light and easy to lug around, with a high rate of fire (not that you'd let go in a continuous stream, but you don't have to stop and reload for a long time)m and you can load from a belt or a box magazine. It's accurate enough that you could sit down, set it up on its bipod and aim away. You have to be prepared to change the barrel after a while though… Something you'd have to do with any machine-gun :(
But hopefully you'd be able to clear a wide enough swathe to allow ample time for anything you needed to do. :)

As far as firearms go, what about a grenade launcher? This Milkor MGL looks like a useful weapon. 6 rounds of exploding zombie death. At longer ranges you could try the Barret XM109, with its 25mm high explosive shells.

I still don't see a sledge being much use, You're still at big risk from any missed hit, which becomes increasingly more likely with each swing or simply as you become more tired. Take it from me, you can even miss perfectly stationary brick walls when you're tiredly swinging one of those things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Radmetalmonk at 4:45AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
Well, I've always been a decent “brawler”, but punching zombies just doesn't sound that effective (actually, it sounds quite humerous…I can see myself doing that too…and getting eaten).

So, you know…if my cunting fists won't work, then I'd use…
a crossbow, pole axe (distance), brass knuckles of course, and black metal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:59PM
isukun at 11:02AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
You can get solid cartridges for a shotgun can't you?

They're called slugs, and I do believe I mentioned them. A shotgun has its uses, just not as crowd control when fighting zombies. The weight, bulk, and slow and frequent reloads make it less practical than a smaller high caliber handgun, though.

I still don't see a sledge being much use, You're still at big risk from any missed hit, which becomes increasingly more likely with each swing or simply as you become more tired.

No melee weapon is going to be useful against crowds. The kill rate is too slow to make them effective against hordes. A baseball bat would be an even worse weapon for such a situation. While you're wasting time trying to get one zombie, others are advancing on you from all sides. Most melee weapons are only going to be useful for small groups or individual zombies.

The sledgehammer is also much closer to classical blunt weapons than the aluminum bat. Clubs, maces, warhammers, and so forth all rely on the same unbalanced weight distribution to make them effective both for breaking bones and knocking opponents off balance.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Ozoneocean at 11:44AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
There are about four or five different types of quick loading, semi-automatic shotgun though: just replace the magazine, either box, or drum. You can get a couple of types of shotgun revolver pistols too, but the recoil would not be good for the wrists.

Most of those bigger hand weapons were for facing off against armoured opponents and battering when you can't pierce them. And many began life as crude working tools and farm implements, hastily adapted to warfare by largely weaponless peasant levies, and so were never ideally suited to warfare anyway…
The cudgel and club do have a very long history however, but they're generally shorter and a bit better balanced than a sledge, I do see where you're coming from though. It's also interesting that Infantryman's warhammer (a very large weapon) traces its origins from things like farmers mattocks, while the smaller, lighter horseman's hammer has a different line; maces, and clubs obviously, but its form comes from the smith, or even the carpenter. The main difference is that they're single handed, while the cruder, bigger ones take two hands.

I'd have to agree really though that an aluminium bat won't last or be hard or heavy enough. But I think good balance is still more important than a big force multiplier -like the hammer head. Maybe a compromise would be a medium sized would axe, or even a steel bar… but the bar would be quite disadvantaged by being too evenly balanced. :(

What about a quarterstaff? That's a great weapon if you've got room enough to use it. Good for knocking back your opponent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 8:17AM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
a magical unicorn that eats zombies
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
The mediocre one at 12:11PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
This is assuming this all comes from the brain annd it's not some sort of spinal parasite, mind you.

1. A freakin' Zamboni, you know, those things they clean ice rinks with? Think about it, they all get caught in the spinney things and come out all broken.

2. Sledge hammer- if I have learned one thing, break enough bones in someone's body, and they stop moving–actually I'd go for one of the axes with a hammer back to the head, cut ligaments if you encounter like an elephant-zombie or some weird stuff like that. As wingnut said with the crow bar you can open doors and stuff with it, too.

3. Grappling hook and rope- so you can climb into trees with high limbs at night to sleep, also you could beat them with the grappling hook if worst came to worst.

4. Rifle of some sort- If the games i've played are any indication I'm a pretty good shot with a rifle, you kill of zombies, get food from animals you hunt plus I have enough close range weapons.

…we should so have a zombie-survivor round robin here…
Paper Mache Cataclysm
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:15PM
Red Slayer at 12:37PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
isukun
You can get solid cartridges for a shotgun can't you?

They're called slugs, and I do believe I mentioned them. A shotgun has its uses, just not as crowd control when fighting zombies. The weight, bulk, and slow and frequent reloads make it less practical than a smaller high caliber handgun, though.

I still don't see a sledge being much use, You're still at big risk from any missed hit, which becomes increasingly more likely with each swing or simply as you become more tired.

No melee weapon is going to be useful against crowds. The kill rate is too slow to make them effective against hordes. A baseball bat would be an even worse weapon for such a situation. While you're wasting time trying to get one zombie, others are advancing on you from all sides. Most melee weapons are only going to be useful for small groups or individual zombies.
And that is why i will always thrust in pistols.

Full auto baby!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kBjUDCyDCuI
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
isukun at 1:53PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
What's really scary is that guy looks exactly like my roommate.
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:24PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
After a few hours of special research (i.e. playing Resident Evil) I have determined the following are necessities for zombie survival:

Magnum Revolver
Ampule Launcher equipped with Daylight cartridges
Lockpicks
Bad Voice acting

And don't worry about weapons or ammo; you'd be surprised at the amount of powerful and dangerous weapons just lying around the place!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Glarg at 3:37PM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
All you need is:

Lots of Liquir
Some gasoline
10 packs of matches
3 lighters
and a cherry bomb.

Nothing says GTFO out of my face like zombies on fire.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
Generic Human at 4:02PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
After a few hours of special research (i.e. playing Resident Evil) I have determined the following are necessities for zombie survival:

Magnum Revolver
Ampule Launcher equipped with Daylight cartridges
Lockpicks
Bad Voice acting

And don't worry about weapons or ammo; you'd be surprised at the amount of powerful and dangerous weapons just lying around the place!

Are you the master of lock picking? lolbarry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
isukun at 5:25PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
Nothing says GTFO out of my face like zombies on fire.

Considering Zombies don't really hae the capacity to feel pain, I'm not sure flaming zombies chasing after you is an improvement to your situation.
Red Slayer at 5:43PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
slow horde -> burning legion anyone?
Brokenhill at 1:18PM, April 24, 2007
(offline)
back…to LYFE!

er anyways.

Things I could use that I have in my house at the moment…

1: no guns, I have a rec crossbow with like 30 or so arrows. I've killed a racoon with it, so I know it could kill zombiez

2:) I guess my electric guitar
3:) Crowbar, gordan freeman style
4:) I have a mace, I don't know how well it would stand up though, its kinda old.

I'd get out of my town and go to canada, get as far from urban area's as possible…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Generic Human at 1:30PM, April 24, 2007
(online)
Ah, you brought it back to life, now it's a zombie!

but at my house…

1. I'd take my replica of sting. It's light, actually sharp, and well made. And it glows if there are orcs around.
2. Crowbar. I have a light one in the basement
3. Another replica sword I have. It prolly wouldn't hold up as well as sting, but it has a longer reach and I can use it one handed.
4. my giant broadsword.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Red Slayer at 1:40PM, April 24, 2007
(online)
My dad has some gun and some ammo.
All i need.
flaak_monkey at 1:41PM, April 24, 2007
(online)
Double Barrel Shotgun is all you need to aid you in your fight against the Zombies.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
marine at 3:16PM, April 24, 2007
(offline)
After giving it lots of thought, and playing Dead Rising religiously, I've come to the conclusion that all I need is a bowling ball and a big intimidating black guy to rule the world in the zombie apocalyspe.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Lonnehart at 4:13PM, April 24, 2007
(online)
I'm going to assume that the only weapons I have are in my house and that I have the combat skills of the average civilian…

1) My 20 pound sledgehammer. Sure I'll get tired, but one shot to the head should be enough to take single zombies down.

2) My trusty hand axe. Good for if they get too close.

3) My car… if I can get to it. Don't know how long it'll last against the hordes, though.

4) My box of drawing gear. The last resort. Of course, if I'm using this it's because there's no hope left for survival.

At least when I'm gone no one's gonna figure out where I hid my friend's stash of beer. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
ketenol at 7:18PM, April 24, 2007
(offline)
Id just let myself get eaten then come after you lot.
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
sniper jedi at 8:39PM, April 24, 2007
(offline)
I wouldn't have to go far for my weapons.
My first grab would be my .22 scoped rifle, with a 30 round mag. plus this shoebox sized ammo box we got here.

Second, the 12 guage. plus all of THOSE rounds we have at my house.

Third, i'd kinda want the .45 cal. submachine gun the military has now, that can group the whole mag. in a chest sized target at 25 feet at full auto. (not that i would waste all my ammo on one zombie) this is deadly accurat at medium range, with HUGE stopping power for crowd control.

Fourth, a buncha small propane tanks, like on Down of the Dead. KA-freakin-BOOM!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and a shark suit. (finely knitted chain mail that a shark can't bite through, anyone ELSE see an atvantage here?)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 8:01AM, April 25, 2007
(offline)
a house without any windows or thin walls
locks on the door
food
manga

I'm not a fighter.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
hyperactive comics at 3:55PM, April 25, 2007
(offline)
Easy one here!
1. Barbed wire
2. Axe
3. Gladys
4. and my Mitts!! ( say the last one in a real gravely voice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Wolfer at 4:13PM, April 25, 2007
(offline)
I have long ago made my zombie plan. I will take a car and drive down to the hunting store where I will pick up a .22 cal hunting rifle with scope, a 12 guage shotgun and plenty of ammo for both. Then I will go to the library and find a copy of the Anarchists cookbook. Then I will drive down to the Húsasmiðjan (a hardware store) and get myself a chainsaw, enough materials to make a few bombs according to the Anarchist's Cookbook and a rope. Then I will find a good place with plenty of food that's high up, climb there, destroy the stairs and stay there until food runs out. When that happens I will use the rope to climb down and find more food.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
OmegaHedgehog at 4:19PM, April 25, 2007
(offline)
Have none of you ever played Dead Rising?

If so, you'll understand why my weapon of choice would be the showerhead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
Mister Spook at 4:57PM, April 25, 2007
(online)
Weapon of Choice: Black Kitty.

“Run zombies! She has steak sauce!!!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
PIT_FACE at 4:51AM, April 26, 2007
(online)
a tank, thrash metal, and beer….GOOD beer….

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
centuryslayer at 6:20AM, April 26, 2007
(offline)
oh oh oh! I love this kinda stuff XD

1. an automatic shotgun like the XM…whatever it's called

2. probably a katana or a nodachi for slicing and dicing if they try to get close (though I'm better with a staff.. but steel is harder to brake and slicing of heads is probably more effective against zombies)
I might opt for a quandao though, since it's basically a staff with a saber on it XD

3. maybe an smg, like the P90 (50 rounds in one mag, booja!)

4. one of those neat, handheld grenade launchers with a barrel magazine (think a tommygun firing grenades)
-ninja flip flop-
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Insizwa at 7:33PM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
-I too would take a automatic shotgun. There's this one called the striker on a couple games. It's stubby enough so it's easy to aim in close quarters and stuff and it holds alot of slugs.

-A machete since they're easier to wield than a sword and lighter than a chainsaw and more effective than bludgening weapons.

-A hybrid car, gasoline may be scarce in the midst of a zombie horde attack.

-Rifle, don't really have a preferance as long as it works.

-Ingram mac 11's cause they're cool

-Ammo, lot's of it

-Plus al the necessities: Food, reading material, toilet paper, spare change of drawers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
marine at 3:52AM, May 1, 2007
(offline)
ketenol
Id just let myself get eaten then come after you lot.

Me and my big angry black guy would use our power of technology to shoot you, from atop our mini mall. The two of us live in a world of passion. A perfect society, where every few months we get attacked by wierdos or raiders, and we have to violantly kill them all.

Also any zombies who come near the front of our building we napalm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon