Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Three probs: Talk bubble quality, words, and coloring
vie4 at 11:50AM, May 2, 2007
(offline)
I am having troble creating my comic on photoshop. First reason is I'm pretty much a beginner. But, here is where I fall short.

1. Every single time I make one talk bubble, it looses its quality and looks pixilized. It really annoys me. :mad:

2. Whenever I type something, it double “enters” (or however you say it).
Example: Like

this
Yet again, it's really annoying :mad:

3. As you've seen in my older comics, I tried toying around with the color using a special type of thick pen. Unfortunatly, the pen ran out of ink and I'm stuck with the pencil. When coloring, say, my character's skin, the color overlaps the pencil marks I've made for the cartoon. Need some tips for this, like new pen/pencil ideas or how to color correctly.
Please help me! :cry2:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Darth Mongoose at 1:52PM, May 2, 2007
(online)
Okay, using Photoshop, eh?

Check that the shapes you're using to make the bubbles have ‘anti-aliasing’ turned ON. Another good solution is to scan the pages at a higher DPI, add the speech bubbles and stuff, then flatten the page and shrink down to the desired size, this has the effect of anti-aliasing the stuff when it's shrunk, removing jaggs.
I'm not sure about the text thing. Maybe something to do with line spacing? I dunno how to change that on PS though, sorry!

Colouring…okay, this is really not so hard once you know how ^_^

1. Make a duplicate of your line art layer (the background layer) and also make TWO new blank layers Do a white fill on one of the blank layers, and arrange them:

Top= Background copy (duplicated lineart layer)
2=The blank layer
3= Layer filled with white
Bottom= The original line art (you can't see it, it's there just in case!

Use the little scroll menu on the ‘layers’ window to put the top layer (the linart copy) onto MULTIPLY mode.
Get out your colour of choice and the brush tool, and scribble on some colour on the SECOND (blank) layer. See what happens? The lines are preserved and the colour goes on underneath! Pretty awesome, huh?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
reconjsh at 6:25PM, May 2, 2007
(online)
If things are getting pixelated, I'd start with these 2 questions:

1) What resolution are you working at in PS?
2) Are you transferring, using and re-saving JPGs alot? JPGS loose data every time you resave them and tend to get sloppy after only a few re-saves.

PQ me if you have any PS questions. Mongoose gave you some good advice though, so there's no need for me to expound.

Good luck,
~Jerome~
(Outland Angels)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
glenfx at 3:03AM, May 25, 2007
(online)
A couple of steps for a better workflow:

1.- Scan at 600dpi, try to do it in grayscale
2.- Clean the image a bit with brightness and contrast or adjusting the curves
3.- Then do Brightness and contrast (again) both at 100% to the right.. that will make the image pure black and white.

Notice the image will get fully pixelated.. but since its at 600dpi it wont show in the end, so dont worry about it, that is what we want.

4.-Then you can make a duplicate layer of it for safe keeping and turn it invisible.

5.- Now you can start filling colors with the paint bucket..
IMPORTANT, uncheck the anti aliasing box in the paint bucket options.. we want the color to touch/colide with the black line, not smooth the color with it ;).

After you have finished the image, you can resize it and youll notice the line will look perfect.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved