Media Megaforum

Thundercats: the movie
lastcall at 3:34PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(offline)
OK this is a fanmade trailer, but the guy did a good job. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Skullbie at 4:39PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(online)
oh god that was awesome, i lold since i could tell what movies he took them out of. Great job i doubt a real trailer would have been that good. ^^

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Product Placement at 6:49PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(online)
Someone once showed me this trailer and I loved it to bits. What's much more startling is the fact that they're actually making a thundercats movie for real. Has the real trailer come out yet?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
isukun at 7:52PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(online)
Since the actual movie is still in the pre-production phase, I doubt it.

Actually, it's hard to tell how the actual movie will turn out. The TV series was so awful, I doubt they could really screw it up MORE than it already was They already had a mix of annoying and poorly designed characters, similarly annoying and poorly designed vehicles and locations, horrendously bad writing, variable animation, an incredibly repetitive and predictable plot, and the annoying “got to teach a lesson in every episode” approach. Still, the first draft on the screenplay is apparently from a guy who hasn't written anything of worth (two comedies and a horror film, all of which got pretty low ratings on imdb), but at the same time, the producers working on the project have quite a few good movies under their belts, so who knows. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone else came in and rewrote those scripts, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ozoneocean at 8:53PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(online)
isukun
ire
I take some issue with you there Isukun.
-Yes the animation WAS bad. Half the characters were annoying, and many seemed to have been stolen from the H-Man school of design, but some were still quite funky in their way and the late 70's look a lot of them had was rather charming.
-Many of the vehicles were overly blocky (another part of the He-Man problem), but still others were quite well done and iconic.

The stories were indeed repetitive, but that's hard;y atypical of the American cartoons from that era with a heavy toy focus.

-This trailer was posted already in the WTH forum :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
jalford at 3:32AM, Feb. 7, 2009
(online)
They should just go ahead and make this into an animated CG movie like the Gatchaman flick.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
lastcall at 5:04AM, Feb. 7, 2009
(offline)
isukun
The TV series was so awful,

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one, man. I loved Thundercats as a kid.

jalford
They should just go ahead and make this into an animated CG movie like the Gatchaman flick.

I think that's the plan.
Product Placement at 8:17AM, Feb. 7, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean

Yeah, I remember seeing it there as well but it seems to bee cool enough to belong to both places. It's a WTH media!

And regardless of how you thought that show was, everyone has to agree that the intro kicked ass!

Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ShinuZero at 11:40AM, Feb. 7, 2009
(online)
isukun

Actually, it's hard to tell how the actual movie will turn out. The TV series was so awful, I doubt they could really screw it up MORE than it already was They already had a mix of annoying and poorly designed characters, similarly annoying and poorly designed vehicles and locations, horrendously bad writing, variable animation, an incredibly repetitive and predictable plot, and the annoying “got to teach a lesson in every episode” approach. Still, the first draft on the screenplay is apparently from a guy who hasn't written anything of worth (two comedies and a horror film, all of which got pretty low ratings on imdb), but at the same time, the producers working on the project have quite a few good movies under their belts, so who knows. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone else came in and rewrote those scripts, too.

I thought the only thing that held up after all these years was the animation. Didn't the studio that animated it become Studio Ghibli?
All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
lastcall at 1:21PM, Feb. 7, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
ozoneocean

Yeah, I remember seeing it there as well but it seems to bee cool enough to belong to both places. It's a WTH media!

See, that's why a “Search” function in these forums would really, really help…
lba at 1:28PM, Feb. 7, 2009
(online)
lastcall

Indeed. But at current I think PS has their coder/coders ( depending on if they've hired another one at this point. ) working on something else if I remember what I heard correctly.

I'd almost just like to see them give the movie contract to the guy who made the trailer. Obviously he loves the show so you know he'd put his heart into it and that would put the plot leaps ahead of a lot of other film adaptations where the guy doing things doesn't know what the heck the original was all about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
isukun at 5:25PM, Feb. 7, 2009
(online)
Didn't the studio that animated it become Studio Ghibli?

No. Actually, Thundercats was made after the Topcraft breakup. They were in the process of changing the name of the company around that time and a number of animators and production crew left the studio around that time due to the new payment plan and Miyazaki's high standards. Many of those that left were picked up by the Pacific Animation Corporation, who would go on to work on the Thundercats. Nobody who worked on that series was ever employed by Studio Ghibli. Some did go on to work on some other collaborative projects with Western studios like Hanna Barbera, though.
ozoneocean at 8:44PM, Feb. 7, 2009
(online)
lastcall

:)

One of the results was this, it[s pretty good. ^_^

http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=34889&cid=1642

lastcall at 5:05AM, Feb. 8, 2009
(offline)
Thanks for pointing it out ozone; it's so small I never noticed it before… ;)
ozoneocean at 5:26AM, Feb. 8, 2009
(online)
I always forget it's there too actually.

lba at 11:37AM, Feb. 8, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
snarky picture

I can never get it to work. I've tried searching for stuff that I know there's result for like the rant thread and it just tells me that it can't find anything. I had just figured they were either working on it or it had stopped functioning and nobody noticed yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
ozoneocean at 3:34PM, Feb. 8, 2009
(online)
lba
I can never get it to work. I've tried searching for stuff that I know there's result for like the rant thread and it just tells me that it can't find anything. I had just figured they were either working on it or it had stopped functioning and nobody noticed yet.
Always works for me…?

Hawk at 10:09PM, Feb. 8, 2009
(online)
isukun
Didn't the studio that animated it become Studio Ghibli?

No. Actually…

But it was brought to us by the folks who made Rudolph the Red-nosed Reinder, Here Comes Santa Claus, and Frosty the Snowman! (though obviously outsourced. :( )
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Biz3 at 2:22AM, Feb. 10, 2009
(offline)
Remember seeing that clip some time ago. Really well made for a fan-made trailer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
jalford at 4:25AM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
They also did King Kong Escapes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Sea_Cow at 8:19PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(offline)
isukun

Is it your purpose in life to rape our childhoods?
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
isukun at 3:57AM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
And what other aspect of your childhood have I “raped”?
mlai at 6:16PM, Feb. 13, 2009
(online)
isukun
This sounds so wrong.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Product Placement at 3:39PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
lastcall
Thanks for pointing it out ozone; it's so small I never noticed it before… ;)
ozoneocean
I always forget it's there too actually.
….

*snicker*
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 3:59PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
*snicker*
Any more of that and I'll have to knock you out with my enormous double entendre!

Product Placement at 3:56AM, Feb. 17, 2009
(online)
Hey, I'm sorry if I offended you oz but that really made my day.

Yes, I'm simple.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
mlai at 5:13AM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
WTF happened to this thread for the last half of posts?? 6___9

God I had a good laugh…

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
TheMidge28 at 7:04AM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
Sea_Cow
isukun

Is it your purpose in life to rape our childhoods?
isukun

I think what Sea Cow is referring to is the direct disdain of a cartoon which many of us who grew up watching and enjoying. We all have fond memories of this cartoon along w/ Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man… etc. But as we already know you didn't enjoy any of those shows and found them over-rated and horrible. I wonder did you feel that way when you were younger while watching them? Yeah, we can all look back to things of youth with our big grownup glasses on and be critical of such things but the criticism is out of context of being a child growing up. Your critique seems quite similar to the one website where a guy criticizes kids drawings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Hawk at 9:07AM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
Thundercats is definitely one of those cartoons that doesn't really stand the test of time. Watching it as an adult, the flaws are obvious. But nostalgia is magical… Things we enjoyed as children get a pass, because while they're not the greatest quality, they were in the right place at the right time and assimilated into our childhood.

Isukun is right about Thundercats. But he hasn't violated our childhoods. We can still love the Thundercats anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
isukun at 12:42PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
But as we already know you didn't enjoy any of those shows and found them over-rated and horrible.

And at what point have I ever said I don't like any of those other shows? Yes, I know what Sea Cow was referring to, and I know what you're saying as well, and you're both wrong. Those other shows I watched religiously as a child. G.I. Joe, Transformers, He-Man, Voltron, Silverhawks, all that stuff was great when I was a kid. Hell, I still like the old G1 Transformers despite its faults. I NEVER liked the Thundercats, though. Even as a kid I didn't like the Thundercats. Somehow stating that ONCE in this thread does not translate to making it my life's purpose to ruin your collective childhoods, though.

Now, I have no issues with criticizing modern remakes of those classic shows and I have done so with several of them, but that is hardly the same thing.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved