Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Tips on naming a webcomic
Metalbender92 at 1:19PM, Aug. 30, 2008
(offline)
I am drawing out some comic strips. I have about 16 ready to publish here, but I can't think of a good name for my comic! How do you come up with a good, original name?
A sketch comic filled with little comedic bundles!
The Meekler Files
Where every day is a hiatus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
skoolmunkee at 3:41PM, Aug. 30, 2008
(online)
Spend a lot of time making a big list, narrow it down to 5, and ask people for their opinions on the best :)

Usually a comic name is both:
A. somehow descriptive of the comic
B. has some twist, reference, or cleverness to help it stand out

It also helps to avoid anything that sounds too generic, or is already being used by something else like a song title (as internet searches won't pull up your comic first, those other things are bound to be more famous).

Have a look through the Browse pages here, just click around randomly and take in all the different comic names. The name ought to give you some idea of what the comic is about, and you'll find that some names appeal to you more than others. Try to figure out why that is, and then use the same technique :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Evil_Snuffkin at 3:47PM, Aug. 30, 2008
(online)
The title of a comic is a bit like the thumbnail image used to display it; its something to help the reader get a good idea about the content of what they're clicking on. It might be helpful to look at any reoccuring themes in your strips and base a name around that. Usually for me the title is one of the first things for me to write down when I'm thinking up a story but if I get really stuck I scribble a list of names down for a while and pick the best one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Skullbie at 4:39PM, Aug. 30, 2008
(online)
Have a name that's catchy, short, and represents the tone of your comics in a way-Not describe it.

Catchy and short are the big ones, because it helps people remember your comic, which is a big part of names.
Having a name that's ultra descriptive and long will actually turn people off.

GOOD examples of names: (these names are taken)
Scorch: This comic is a a stylish zombie comic with a dark tone. Great name.
Juxtapose: A fun name to say, it holds little to the comic but is very catchy.
Supernariobros: A comic about naruto mario. The name is catchy as hell.
Horribleville:lolz
Craving control: A descriptive name used well and easy to bash- word of the mouth gets going.
Faust: represents the comic tone well and is short

Bad examples of names(though the comics are good!)
Surfboards and Rayguns: The comic itself is all forms of epic, but the name will turn many off.(and has)
Abomidable charles christopher: another great comic, another weird name.
Perry bible fellowship: Amazing comic, name that people will think is a religious site and not go.
Nopinkponies: not the worst name but doesn't represent the strip.
+Anything that's ‘lol random!’ Like ‘cupcake mustard’: Unless you're 12 or on smackjeeves avoid ranom desu names.
Our time in Eden: it's fits the comic to a pinch but the names not catchy or rememberable.
+japanese names: seriously, no.
+band names, movies, etc.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Evil_Snuffkin at 5:18PM, Aug. 31, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
Have a name that's catchy, short, and represents the tone of your comics in a way-Not describe it.

Having a name that's ultra descriptive and long will actually turn people off.

There are a few sucessful comics out there that break the name mold though like ‘I Was Kidnapped By Lesbian Pirates From Outer Space’. Every rule has its exception so the best thing you can really do is go with whatever you like the sound of best. A brilliant name won't keep readers if the content isn't that great but your audience can always forgive an uninspiring name if they like your work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
mlai at 5:34PM, Aug. 31, 2008
(online)
IWKBLPFOS may be a long name, but it's a catchy name. Read it once and you're unlikely to forget it. Even if you do forget it, you're likely to remember the words ‘lesbian’ and ‘pirates’, and so a quick search will find it.

I thought Surfboards & Rayguns is short, descriptive of plot and tone, easy to remember, and catchy. It reminds me of the titles of those really bad/memorable cult movies. If you don't feel like reading the comic because you don't like surfing or sci-fi, then the title is actually doing its job. Another more generic, superhero name would do it less justice IMO.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
usedbooks at 5:52PM, Aug. 31, 2008
(online)
I think Surfboards & Rayguns is a good, catchy title too.

My pet peeve is titles that include character names. I find them rather boring, undescriptive, and not catchy or memorable.

Oh, and one DrunkDuck-specific thing to remember (also true for many forum searches) is that the search function does not work on words three letters or less, so make sure your title contains one or two words that are at least four letters long.

Speaking of four letter words, avoid curse words (or curse word replacements) in titles. Aside from giving your comic a juvenile tone which will turn away many potential readers, it means that many people won't be able to access your comic at work or school. (They shouldn't anyway, but lots of people do. ;) )
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 10:48AM, Sept. 1, 2008
(offline)
Here's something I can't stress enough.

Don't call your comic something like Shadow Death. It is really stupid. REALLY stupid. Wii have millions of them.
Ha ha reference.
Seriously though. Don't try to make it cool or anything like that. An hour's worth of strategic brainstorming will likely turn out a good result.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:55PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved