Comic Talk and General Discussion *

To those leaving: Why?
kingofsnake at 9:22AM, Sept. 29, 2006
(online)
One step up on the metahpor.

It's like a battle of the bands. The guy holding the battle of the bands doesn't charge them to participate, and they don't make any money from the show, but they get a wider spectrum of people to listen to their music, they get to meet other bands and maybe, if they're truly awesome they can win a shiney trophy. And who knows, there might be a record exec in the crowd that digs their tune.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
subcultured at 10:01AM, Sept. 29, 2006
(online)
personally, i'll do what i've always done. keep my story alive and update. i don't really wanna be bothered with webcomic politcs. I don't do my comic for money and if some corporation want to pay me a ceratin percentage to merchandise something I do for a hobby, its good. It's not like I was geting payed before.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Corvin at 3:33PM, Sept. 29, 2006
(offline)
subcultured
personally, i'll do what i've always done. keep my story alive and update. i don't really wanna be bothered with webcomic politcs. I don't do my comic for money and if some corporation want to pay me a ceratin percentage to merchandise something I do for a hobby, its good. It's not like I was geting payed before.

Amen. no webcomic politics for me, either. I got into this because i decided to do something with all those ideas working in discount retail gave me, not because i feel the need to make a statement about pixel-pictures.

Corvin
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
theduckofanime at 3:58PM, Sept. 29, 2006
(offline)
From what I gather, a lot of people are leaving because they feel that the community aspect is going to be lost. That the community would get overrun by the comics that are being paid to be up (or it seems like they are being paid to be put up) and that the little guy will get swarmed.

Now it's easy to think that when you hear how about 100 comics are going to be hosted up on to DD because they are Platinum Studio's comics. So the appearance is that “who cares about the little guy, these guys paid” which despite not being true, it's hard to think of it as false.

So it comes to a “I can't compete with the big guys” kidna mentality, and it's hard to get past that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Volte6 at 4:12PM, Sept. 29, 2006
(online)
theduckofanime
From what I gather, a lot of people are leaving because they feel that the community aspect is going to be lost. That the community would get overrun by the comics that are being paid to be up (or it seems like they are being paid to be put up) and that the little guy will get swarmed.

Now it's easy to think that when you hear how about 100 comics are going to be hosted up on to DD because they are Platinum Studio's comics. So the appearance is that “who cares about the little guy, these guys paid” which despite not being true, it's hard to think of it as false.

So it comes to a “I can't compete with the big guys” kidna mentality, and it's hard to get past that.

Well Cowboys and Aliens has been on DD a couple days now… feel demoralized yet? You probably didn't even realize it was here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
Enef at 4:21PM, Sept. 29, 2006
(offline)
Volte6
theduckofanime

Well Cowboys and Aliens has been on DD a couple days now… feel demoralized yet? You probably didn't even realize it was here.

I did and i fell in love D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
theduckofanime at 4:24PM, Sept. 29, 2006
(offline)
I did notice, in fact I looked at it, and commented on it's newest page.

But when you hear of 100 or so coming over, no real release plan on it seems (key word there) like they're gonna come all at once.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
SpANG at 2:42PM, Sept. 30, 2006
(online)
theduckofanime

I find that funny if that's the case. It's like abandoning your house because there *might* be a tornado coming in a week.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
ccantrell31 at 2:42PM, Sept. 30, 2006
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Because change is scary.

No doubt. I changed my clothes this morning and about had a stroke. :p
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Terminal at 2:47PM, Sept. 30, 2006
(online)
ccantrell31
skoolmunkee
Because change is scary.

No doubt. I changed my clothes this morning and about had a stroke. :p

Oh my God, are you okay? Wow. How was it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
Inkmonkey at 9:19PM, Sept. 30, 2006
(offline)
SpANG
theduckofanime

I find that funny if that's the case. It's like abandoning your house because there *might* be a tornado coming in a week.

I don't think stepping out of town for a few days if a tornado might be coming is overreacting at all. A tornado is a scary thing.

What I think it's more like is perhaps a party, or concert, or any gathering of people. Now, perhaps if you were going to this event since the “glory days” when your buddy Jeb held it in his basement when his parents were away for the weekend and now feel the whole thing has gone “totally corporate” now that he rents space in the civic center, then there's really no helping you. But if you're afraid to go because someone might be wearing the same clothes and looking better in them than you do, then you really need to re-prioritize your life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
kingofsnake at 7:13AM, Oct. 1, 2006
(online)
Alot of Band metaphors on this thread
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Kline at 9:27AM, Oct. 1, 2006
(offline)
Someone
Well you're in your little room
and you're working on something good
but if it's really good
you're gonna need a bigger room
and when you're in the bigger room
you might not know what to do
you might have to think of
how you got started in your little room

:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
SpANG at 1:17PM, Oct. 1, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
SpANG
theduckofanime

I don't think stepping out of town for a few days if a tornado might be coming is overreacting at all. A tornado is a scary thing.

What I think it's more like is perhaps a party, or concert, or any gathering of people. Now, perhaps if you were going to this event since the “glory days” when your buddy Jeb held it in his basement when his parents were away for the weekend and now feel the whole thing has gone “totally corporate” now that he rents space in the civic center, then there's really no helping you. But if you're afraid to go because someone might be wearing the same clothes and looking better in them than you do, then you really need to re-prioritize your life.

Yeah, I actually tried to go back and edit it to say “It's like abandoning your house because there *might* be a fire someday.”

but after several attempts. I had to leave it as is.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
LowResAtari at 1:22PM, Oct. 1, 2006
(offline)
Editing seems to not work for anyone right now.
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
Inkmonkey at 2:16PM, Oct. 1, 2006
(offline)
Yeah, that makes a bit more sense, Spang. The problem, though, is that your analogies so far have had a real, earth-shattering threat on the horizon. There's really no risk of losing one's comics on this site (aside from a server crash, which is actually a lot less likely now that Plat has a vested interest in the site). The only real threats now are matters of popularity, or the loss of the “small-time” feel of the site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon