Debate and Discussion

Too old for comics
Aussie_kid at 5:03PM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
I have been repeatedly asked why I buy graphic novels, since I am 17, and therefore ‘Too old for comics’. I make my arguement, that the issues in some of those novels are too mature for kids to understand. Abuse, murder, thievery and poverty are things many of the students at my school wouldn't have a clue about.

Now, I ask you people of drunk duck. Is there such thing as an age where we become too old for any sort of comic?
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Juliechan at 5:22PM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
Don't be silly. Too old for comics? I don't think so. That's like telling somebody they're too old to have a kitten when they're like 20.
I have never been bothered with comics in relashion to my age.
I personally watch/read a lot of kid shows/comics from Japan that yes, are WAY below my age group. But why should that matter if I'm enjoying what I'm watching/reading? If you're enjoying reading comics, read, buy and nurture comics don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
ozoneocean at 7:18PM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
I stopped reading comics when I was about 10, simply because I devoured reading material far too quickly. Comics just never had enough in them. The pictures were nice, but if you can get through them in 30 minutes tops, what's the point?
-That's what I felt back then, so the only comics I read for years and years were newspaper strips, while I just stuck with novels for my reading needs. I only started buying the occasional manga in the last few years, now that sort of thing's popular here and they're easily available. But I still don't buy comics generally because I go through them far too quickly and I came to prefer not to look at pictures while reading text. The only reason I'll get a comic now is if the art really, really impresses me in some way, like Tank-Girl, Corto Maltize… and maybe some Asterix, Phantom, and Tin Tin books for old time's sake.
Web comics are enough for me these days.

As for “being too old for comics”, that's an opinion that can only come about from ignorance and naivete. YOU decide if you still enjoy the media or not, it's a purely personal thing. People of all ages collect and love reading comics, in fact, at a guess, I'd say the vast majority of comics out there are aimed at older to mature readers.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
AQua_ng at 2:40AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Nerds know of no age.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
Ronson at 6:10AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Well, I'm 38 and I buy about a half dozen comics a week. Oddly enough, I think I like the same thing about them that Ozone doesn't - they're quick, and I love the art along with the writing.

Of course, I read regular books - a lot of them - but they're two different kinds of media. If you have a choice between a comic based on a book and a regular book, read the book. It will be better.

But some comics couldn't be done in book format. It's the visuals that give them the impact. Cerebus is a good example of this. So is Ragmop, Fables, Transmetropolitian and The Watchmen.

I think it's an aquired taste, and if it takes root, it sticks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Kxela at 6:16AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
maybe when you go blind….but nah.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Tantz Aerine at 6:46AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
There's no way you may grow to be too old for comics. No-way!

And actually it's dangerously naive to think they are for kids- some of the theme in comics, especially since they depict things graphically, may be traumatizing for kids. Or just plain unsuitable.

Usually people that say such a thing are people that have not opened the cover of a single comic book and think in terms of mickey mouse and goofy.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
AQua_ng at 9:23AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Tantz Aerine

And actually it's dangerously naive to think they are for kids- some of the theme in comics, especially since they depict things graphically, may be traumatizing for kids. Or just plain unsuitable.

Usually people that say such a thing are people that have not opened the cover of a single comic book and think in terms of mickey mouse and goofy.

Naive you say?

Anyway, I guess it is the stereotype that comics are for young 'uns. I guess they don�t include the more adult comics.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
mishi_hime at 10:30AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
Who gave you that idea Aussie_kid?!

The people who probably said it to ya were old themselves. And most likely dont know how to have fun. At least your reading something-! theres some teens who dont even bother with that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Tantz Aerine at 11:00AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
AQua_ng
Tantz Aerine

Naive you say?

Anyway, I guess it is the stereotype that comics are for young 'uns. I guess they don�t include the more adult comics.

I'm afraid they don't recognise their existence, not they don't include it. At least in Greece that has been my experience with a lot of people that have commented thus.

_CJR_ at 11:19AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
mishi_hime
Who gave you that idea Aussie_kid?!

The people who probably said it to ya were old themselves. And most likely dont know how to have fun. At least your reading something-! theres some teens who dont even bother with that.

There was this stereotypical druggy kid in my health class a few years ago…never touched a schoolbook or any reading material for that matter. I had one of my mangas with me and he demanded I let him borrow it…he ended up going through 5 of them in a few days.

Some of the mangas I have seen just from browzing the bookstore…I can honestly say I wouldn't want young people seeing the cover let alone reading it.
As for me…if comics are for young people I guess I found my Neverland.
If you catch me slacking…kick me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:03PM
Tantz Aerine at 12:30PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
_CJR_
As for me…if comics are for young people I guess I found my Neverland.

Well and elegantly said!!

subcultured at 4:44PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
my taste has matured as I have grown when it comes to comics. I don't read a lot of the superhero titles anymore..but since comics has a vast selection of subjects, then I'll still keep reading them. albiet more noiring and adult (not XXX) comics
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
jgib99 at 10:01PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
You're never too old for comics. I know a few friends and family that still read them and they're older than me (The oldest being in his 50's).
Karen's Edge- The beginning of the wildest road trip ever!!
How Unfortunate- Coming back in mid-July!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Knuckles at 8:19AM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
I'll be 80 years old wearing tri-focals and still reading comics and manga :P

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
ccs1989 at 12:34PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(online)
I'd like to see a kid try to understand all the different levels of meaning in Watchmen.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Mimarin at 4:32PM, Nov. 9, 2006
(offline)
Bah, having a traditional english family on one side I have been told that I'm “Too old” to do just about everything I have ever had an interest in that isnt either Working hard or trying to achieve academically, Fortunatley I eventually figured out that nobody in my family has enough sanity left in them to be a credible source on the subject of me and what I do.

you are only too old to do something when the law says so.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
SpANG at 9:28AM, Nov. 11, 2006
(online)
People that say you are “too old for comics” don't understand the media, as the landscape has changed quite drastically over the years. They still think that comics are just made for kids, which is categorically UNtrue.

In response to the “You're too old to read comics”, might I suggest this retort- “You're too old to understand what comics are.”
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
Phantom Penguin at 1:25PM, Nov. 11, 2006
(offline)
hell no. Im almost 19 and i still love them. No such thing as to old for comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Krensada at 3:46AM, Dec. 14, 2006
(online)
Comics 4 Life here!
Click on this banner…you know you want to!:

The bunny died upon entering my signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
mapaghimagsik at 1:33PM, Dec. 16, 2006
(offline)
You can never be to old for comics. Comics are just a medium. But I can see where mainstream comics have decided I am not their target demographic. That's cool, and peace be with them.

My friends and I do discuss that mainstream superhero comics do not move forward, they re-start themselves, adjusting to aim for the same demographic they had when they started up in the beginning.

So, comics that I most enjoy are mostly in the niches.

edit: I have no idea what peact is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Priceman at 12:37PM, Dec. 22, 2006
(online)
Two Words: HELL NO!

I think the fact that you are 17 and into graphic novels is cool. There are too many teenagers out there that act like that sort of thing isn't cool, or is “nerdy”. Idiots. Secondly, whoever told you that you are too old should be slapped…..repeatedly. Seeing as your 17, it means you can't smoke, drink, or join the military; so how in the hell can you be too old?

I'll cut this short. Comics have been around for a long time. Do you think the people who read Superman when it was only 20 cents at the cornerstore stopped because they were too old? Nope. If you like something, stick with it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Jquang at 11:20AM, Dec. 26, 2006
(online)
reading comics is old? foolish!
I still read comics like spirderman, superman or other superheros.Also I read alot manga
Me and my friends still read them.
Is mainly the art of the comics which interested me.
JQuang
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Tundra at 6:28PM, Jan. 15, 2007
(offline)
erm no. That's just a stereotype from like, the 50s, that comics are for children. And obviously adults enjoyed watching tv shows based on comics… And there's comics in newspapers that adults read all the time. It's just a different format.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Eirikr at 7:47PM, Jan. 15, 2007
(online)
Too old for comics? Poppycock. The only comics I don't read are ones that I dislike or find ridiculously scarring to my social life(superficial? You Decide!).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
Crazy Dutchman at 11:08AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(offline)
Too old for comics is, of course, 100% bullshit. Like has been said it's just a medium. The same happends to animation tough. It doesn't make sense. Comics are stories that are told in a picture-form in combination with text when necessary. Cartoons are just a drawn form of films. Kids like to look at pictures and especially drawings, that's why in this medium there are a lot of kiddie stuff and kids totally go crazy for it.

But these things always come down on principles. The people calling it too childish judge things too fast on a few of their own conclusions (50% of the cartoons are for kids, so it's a childish form of media). This is completely illogical ‘cause why would a live-action program be less kiddie? When they are animated you still have a more artistic and creatice process. Same goes for comics, I mean it can easilly be described as an art form, it just depends on how you use it. And that’s why I also think it's ok to buy a simple children's book because those can also contain nice drawings (and this medium is even MEANT to be just for kids, can you imagine?). There's no reason animation couldn't be used for adult content, it can even be serious. And it's maybe even the best medium to experimate with film. People that don't believe this have probably never heard of the whole anime-industry.
Now I say that animation series and movies are (if not more) for 50% children's stuff. But for comic this is even far less! I mean even the kiddy-like concepts of the super hero comics get more serious and also more violate and gruesome. There is a whole underground scene and there are coming more and more independent publishers with adult content like autobiographical novels. And then there are also a lot of politic comic strips wich are also not meant for kids. What's left is only a small selection and even some of those don't focus on the kids in the first place.

Now that this theory is all smashed and shattered to the ground all I can say is that those people need to stop living with their faces in the clouds and just read comics! And to just push away all of your ‘too old for this’-principles, you'll live more happily. ‘cause even if something is for kids who says you can’t enjoy it? What's so great about being a serious boring politic,economic,business-interested person anyway? Why ever stop imagining about space pirates and giant robots? Why ever stop enjoying the Muppet Show? Why ever stop experiencing life as a great adventure?

But this aint a real debate or discussion, 'cause I believe everyone agrees :)
If not: speak up!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
mlai at 11:17AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(online)
All you geeks need to grow up. If you're old enough to type, you're too old for comics and that kiddie stuff. Put away your action figures and go watch some Superbowl like real men, or go help out in the kitchen if you're budding womenfolk.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Crazy Dutchman at 11:23AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(offline)
That post is totally going to change my life :P
Pfff, comics are for silly people
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
mlai at 6:04AM, Jan. 25, 2007
(online)
You see how easily facts convert the intelligent? Crazy Dutchman has been saved from the devil's idleness. The rest of you should follow suit.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
kyupol at 6:35AM, Jan. 25, 2007
(online)
I read web comics. I'm 23.

I read the ones that I like… which tend to be more age-appropriate. The stuff about conspiracies, politics, war, bits and pieces of fantasy, science-fiction, crime, angst, and of course… HENTAI!!!

Now tell me if there are any kiddies who are in to that stuff… (Um… maybe the hentai… as 12 year old horny teenagers yank off to that shit)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved