4. the original Dr Who series.
5. Buck Rodgers.
6. Red Dwarf.
7. Quark
8. Blake's 7
9. Star Trek, original
10 Battlestar Galactica (original)

——————
- Not seen the later Battlestar - I personally don't really consider X-Files, Twilight Zone, Fantastic Stories, Millennium etc as the same sort of SciFi… they're all GREAT but more like fun freaky short story shows, and X-files was at its best when it toned down the SciFi elements and focused on freaky stuff and character instead - Not interested in the new Dr Who, it's not bad, just not my thing - Never really took to Stargate, the military aspect chafed - Babylon 5 was too ponderous (like The Ten Commandments in space) and the actors were mostly from daytime soaps…

That's my reasons why I didn't include them.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
EssayBee at 12:40PM, July 2, 2010
(online)
I'm more of a space opera kind of guy, so I'll say Firefly and The Clone Wars.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
therealtj at 7:59PM, July 2, 2010
(online)
EssayBee
The Clone Wars.
Seriously?

I mean, weren't the new three movies bad enough, now they make a kid-aimed CGI TV series? I haven't actually seen it, but I just assumed it would be horrible. Was I wrong in assuming that?

Or are you talking about some other series named “The Clone Wars?”

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
ozoneocean at 12:12AM, July 3, 2010
(online)
EssayBee
that's a very, very short top ten o_o

If you like Space opera, check out Farscape, Lexx, Blake's 7, the old Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers. :)

DAJB at 7:07AM, July 3, 2010
(online)
1. Battlestar Galactica (the remake)
Shame on you Mr Ocean! Go buy the boxed set at once! Not just the best SciFi series of recent years, but possibly the best TV show in any genre. Except the final episode which, sadly, was pathetically predictable!

2. Doctor Who
Because it's done the impossible and reinvented itself in a way I would never have imagined possible!

3. Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles
After the first episode which just rehashed the plot of the movies, this just got better and better. Lena Headey took a lot of stick for not bulking up enough, but she was great at combining the roles of both action heroine and caring mother.

4. Caprica
Alessandra Torresani is a revelation - totally convincing, both as Zoe Graystone and the prototype cylon!

5. Dollhouse
Not as good as it was hyped up to be (and it fell apart completely at the end), but it had its moments.

6. V (the remake)
Admittedly I had very low expectations for this, but I found myself drawn into it.

7. Red Dwarf
Very poor first series (which I stuck with out of a sense of wanting it to be good!), followed by two or three absolutely classic series before it started to go off the boil. Proved SciFi can be funny without resorting to geeks quoting lines from Star Wars!

8. Star Wars: the Clone Wars (the 3D version)
I'm with EssayBee on this one. This series is possibly the best thing to have happened to the Star Wars franchise since the first two movies. Ahsoka Tano is a great new character and it even makes Anakin watchable!

9. Firefly
Very B-movie in its feel, but I enjoyed this more than Farscape (essentially just Muppets in space!) or Lexx (tried to do far too much with CGI before CGI was really up to the job). Sorry, Ozone!

10. Any Gerry Anderson show in “super-marionation”!
Yeah, I know you have to be a “certain age”, but having grown up with the likes of Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet, I couldn't have a top ten without this bunch!

Honourable mentions
Maybe not top ten material, but there was a lot of promise in the remake of The Bionic Woman (I couldn't quite understand why that wasn't more successful), Defying Gravity (very well put together), Flash Forward (although it should have ended properly at the end of Season 1) and, of course, the first season of Lost (if that even qualifies as SciFi!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
EssayBee at 7:51AM, July 3, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean

If you like Space opera, check out Farscape, Lexx, Blake's 7, the old Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers. :)

Sorry–misread the topic and thought it was just a “favorite SciFi TV shows list.” I don't watch a whole lot of TV, so I should probably withdraw from the topic since I don't think I've watched 10 sci-fi shows. I watched the original Battlestar and Buck Rogers when I was a kid and enjoyed both, but I'm not sure how I'd like them nowadays.

I also enjoyed Star Trek: The Next Generation, original Star Trek (although I've probably only seen 20 or 30 episodes over the years).

therealtj
Seriously?

I mean, weren't the new three movies bad enough, now they make a kid-aimed CGI TV series? I haven't actually seen it, but I just assumed it would be horrible. Was I wrong in assuming that?

Or are you talking about some other series named “The Clone Wars?”

Yes, seriously. It has the fun, adventure, banter, and quick pacing that the prequels lacked. Plus the action is great. And there's a reason it airs at 9 PM–it's surprisingly violent. There are lightsaber impalings (of humans and aliens–not just droids), onscreen torture (and resulting death), some minor swearing (i.e., “damn,” and “hell”)–it's probably less kid friendly than the movies (excluding RotS)–although it's still good for family viewing. It has its flaws, but it's a very strong series.

And, regarding the “other series named ‘The Clone Wars,’” I enjoyed that one too, although that was more exaggerated and kid friendly than the current CG series. But Star Wars has always been family friendly, so “kid friendliness” never bothered me.
therealtj at 8:09AM, July 3, 2010
(online)
EssayBee
Yes, seriously. It has the fun, adventure, banter, and quick pacing that the prequels lacked. Plus the action is great. And there's a reason it airs at 9 PM–it's surprisingly violent. There are lightsaber impalings (of humans and aliens–not just droids), onscreen torture (and resulting death), some minor swearing (i.e., “damn,” and “hell”)–it's probably less kid friendly than the movies (excluding RotS)–although it's still good for family viewing. It has its flaws, but it's a very strong series.

And, regarding the “other series named ‘The Clone Wars,’” I enjoyed that one too, although that was more exaggerated and kid friendly than the current CG series. But Star Wars has always been family friendly, so “kid friendliness” never bothered me.
Huh, I guess I should check it out if it's that good.

Also, I completely forgot they made a series in 2003. XD

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
Product Placement at 9:27AM, July 3, 2010
(online)
You need to understand first that placing something in my favorite spot is incredibly hard. I usually am only able to say if I like something or if I don't like it.

10 Sci-fi shows that I've liked (in no particular order)

Battlestar Galactica. (remake)
Being someone who hasn't seen the old series (only the pilot movie) I have to say that I liked this show allot and followed it with dedication to the end. I was slightly disappointed at the end of it and felt that some of the questions I asked had gone unanswered (I don't like it when my questions are not answered).

Stargate SG1.
I was a ridiculous fanboy when that show was at its prime. I might even argue that it is my favorite sci-fi series. The series 2-8 produced some high budged, well made, fun and exciting episodes that made me seek it out, wanting for more. I was always excited the days the next episode was due to be aired. After the conclusion of the main plot story arc, the show was supposed to end at that point and focus on the spin off series that had been launched at the time but the studios demanded more so additional series were made, despite not getting all the original actors on board and despite the fact that the show creators had essentially written themselves into a corner by concluding the main story. I sometimes like to pretend that series 9-10 doesn't exist.

Farscape.
I noticed that this was a different kind of show that wasn't afraid of trying something new, when I first saw it. My limited viewing experience comes from the times I lived in London, since this show was never aired in my homeland. Therefore I'm missing allot of the plot since I only saw, at best, couple of whole seasons, followed by a stray episode from here and there.

Star Trek: The next Generation/Deep Space 9/Voyager.
Star Trek is responsible for getting me interested in Sci-Fi. I had at the time couple of geeky friends who had been trying to get me interested which finally happened when I saw the movie “First Contact”. Something about the Borg that fascinated me. My friends were more then happy to educate me about everything they could regarding the show, afterwards. I tend to pile these three spin offs together, since they happen in the same time period in the Start Trek Universe. TNG provided us with some quality philosophical episodes, followed by the action packed DS9, followed by Voyager and their quest for home. No offense to Voyager but those series destroyed the awesomeness that was the Borg and with it, my interest in the show.

Star Trek: Enterprise.
Some people like to talk down to this show and even claim that it was responsible to the end of the franchise but I think it's far from the truth. It had the potential to relaunch a show that had become increasingly stagnant. Unfortunately it was never given the chance. After a poor first season and a dreadful Box office film (Nemesis) the executives pulled the plug, despite that the show had been doing very well for their second season and their equally impressive third season.

Firefly
A classic example of a colossal mistake from an executive board. Pulling the plug on a show that had the potential of becoming HUGE! Sci-fi shows tend to get the most devoted fans, but it can take time to win their hearts. They could have pulled the plug after the first season of Stargate but it was decided to continue and the fans gathered. The gathering of the fans didn't occur until after the end of the first season of firefly but by then it was too late. The movie was epic.

V (the remake)
Have a similar stand on this as DAJB. I saw the old miniseries and the following show and was particularly impressed with the later. The new show has the disadvantage of following an older tale that most people are aware of. Therefore keeping any plot points that were revealed in the old show is redundant since people can just look up the old source material for reference. The show creators play with this by making the old plot points painfully obvious and instead keep them secret to the characters. I also like how they introduced religion to the new show.

Quantum Leap (Oh boy).
As a kid, I loved that show. Main character (played by Scott Bakula (the captain from Star Trek: Enterprise)) is forced to jump into people from various time periods of the nineteen hundreds and take over their consciousness, during a time where their live was about to end or hit the gutter and it is up to him to prevent it from happening. I decided a while back to seek out the entire thing and re-watch it with my girlfriend at the time and it didn't spoil the nostalgia. The later work got a bit screwy when they introduced evil Leapers and god was somehow put into this as the reason why the main character was leaping around like that. The ending was sad, in my opinion. Hard to understand and a bit silly but sad.

Sliders (early shows)
Good show with lots of potential. People are forced to jump between alternative Earths, where various “What if” scenarios have taken place (Soviet Union won the cold var, Penicillin was never discovered, Royalty never lost powers over Europe and America, etc). Huh, I'm noticing a theme where I like show about people jumping between different scenarios (Sliders, Stargate, Quantum Leap). Anyways, the show got stupid weird as it went on and this show was made during the time period where lots of experiments were made on CG effects (with mixed results).

Clone Wars (2D version)
Shows you what happens when someone other then George Lucas decides to create a show based on the Star Wars universe. Now that George has put more of his claws into the 3D version, all I can say is blah.

Phew! I actually managed to count 10. I could mention others but they've fall shorter due to how little I've seen of them or that I didn't particularly like them.
I liked what I've seen of Red Dwarf but have only seen a handful of episodes. I hated Lexx. Never cared much for Dr Who. Only seen 1-2 episodes of various old timers like Start Trek: Original, Buck Rodgers, Battlestar (Original), don't consider shows like Lost and X-files as Sci-fi, etc.

Well. That's it then.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Genejoke at 12:14PM, July 3, 2010
(online)
1, Firefly. so good, had the potential to be the finest of space opera's.

2, BSG remake. some flaws but stunning otherwise.

3, Babylon 5, epic for it's budget.

4, star trek TNG, great sci fi for the most part with a genuinely decent cast.. well some of them.

5, Farscape, mmuppets in space it maybe be but it was a brave show that got a little too complex.

6,Red Dwarf always loved it, every season.

7, The clone wars 3d version. yes really.

8, Star trek ds9 star trek tried continuity to mixed effect.

9, stargate sg1, started off terrible but got going to be a fair series.

10, battlestar galactica original series.

this was pretty hard as so many just don't rate or I haven't seen them
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
isukun at 7:33PM, July 3, 2010
(online)
Shows you what happens when someone other then George Lucas decides to create a show based on the Start Wars universe.

Lucas was an executive producer and writer on the show. You can kind of tell when there are scenes he contributed to because the dialog gets all awkward. Tartakovsky did a great job directing it, I really felt the combat played out better in his series than the newer 3D series, but there were just some scenes even he couldn't save.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
ozoneocean at 11:51PM, July 3, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
5, Farscape, mmuppets in space it maybe be but it was a brave show that got a little too complex.
I take issue with that part of the description. It's ok to say in an affectionate joking way, but not at all descriptive of that actual show- which as far as what the Henson company bought to the table was basically “A” class cinematic costumes and animatronics. No other SciFi series I've ever see even approaches the quality of any of those aspects. While others rely too heavily on dodgy integration with variable CGI, Farscape worked well with all options.

Yes, I'm a tragic fanboy. But it was the quality that made me so :)

——————————–

lol!
I should give my own reasons:

1. Farscape
“A” class animatronics, props and costumes, cinematic acting, quality actors, top class directors and writers masterful at both melodrama and comedic farce. Extremely high production values and intricate attention to detail and quality generally. And just a very enjoyable show.

2. Lexx
Solidly grown-up, adult toned work with a very “knowing” feel. The series was begun as a beautifully wry evocation and homage to SciFi B-movie sensibilities. This series took you into the world of classic B-movie SciFi and made it into something more. Lexx is extremely cheeky, adult, and naughty, often surreal, sometimes melodramatic and always comedic, and all of that together is something totally absent from SciFi TV. Leave your logic and dorky hardcore scifi sensibilities behind. Not for kids.

3. All the later Star Trek series.
Very notable for their high quality sets! The Star Trek shows always had great sets. The writing was pretty interesting too, tackling the whole gamut of popular SciFi storylines and themes, almost as if they were going down a check-list or something- and handling them well. Very high production values. A solidly good bunch of TV shows.

4. the original Dr Who series.
Longest running TV SciFi series ever. It deserves kudos just for that, but it had a very interesting and original premise that was extremely flexible and made for great TV: the action could take place literally anywhere or anywhen, as long as they had the budget, the props, costumes and locations- which were sometimes stretched a little thin. Dr Who was a wonderful showcase for the work of quality British acting talent from the stage and screen as well as many amazing and talented SciFi writers.

5. Buck Rodgers.
Plain old B-movie TV SciFi fun. Lots of sexy, good looking actors in very tight outfits. Very way out, silly, Americans in space. This impressed me as a child and even retained that when I saw it again as an adult. This was a sleek, slick early 80s/late 70s US production.

6. Red Dwarf.
Only really good in the early series before they had the budget to f**k it up. Red Dwarf was a perfect example of what British TV could do with big imagination and big aspiration with minuscule resources. Initially as cast limited to only five actors with only one or two guest stars at the most each episode, it took place on very small sets with a teeny limit of locations and yet still managed to more than fill the screen with their ideas, humour, and comedy acting.
It died in the later series and then zombied on for a while after that unfortunately. :(

7. Quark
This was a wonderfully prototypical SciFi sitcom spoof TV series, lampooning all sciFi conventions every episode far more broadly and a lot less subtly than Red Dwarf - in a typically American fashion really. Showed how silly SciFi really is.

8. Blake's 7
This was a very, very dark, bleak series. A British SciFi TV show that delved into the nastier aspects of the future, long before any American series every even thought of such a thing. It had all that flashy white, chrome and gold sexiness of 70's SciFi with plenty of tight outfits, which is lovely to see, but it's most notable for it's serious and clever take on political intrigue and the darker, nastier aspects of humanity.

9. Star Trek, original
This one was a trendsetter. It showed just how cool big TV ScIFi could be with the right budget and good writers. One of the first series to really create an evocative “world” that viewers want more off, want to become a part of.

10. Battlestar Galactica (original)
This was an interesting concept- a whole civilisation lost in space, living on a vast flotilla and ships, searching for a new place to live. Very highly space operatic all the way through, and those stylish, stylish outfits: The Colonial Warriors and the shiny Cyclons. The Cyclons were so cool and iconic that they had a bit of a life outside of the show, appearing in in various places.

Product Placement at 7:51AM, July 4, 2010
(online)
I understand that Lucas was behind the show, like anything with his stamp of approval, but Tartakovsky was basically given a free reign for the first 20 episodes. The following 5 had Lucas more involved, until he took over to do the 3D version.

Also, in case you didn't know Oz. The Battlestar remake pays a brilliant homage to the original show. While not a direct sequel of the old show, the background story is that Humanity created the cylons, who rebelled and eventually seceded from the 12 colonies to form their own empire. The cylons who fought in the original war were identical to the ones featured in the old show. The ones we see today in the remake are newer, more advanced models. Also, there's this giant plot point that surfaces in the end that I'll hide behind a spoiler mark, so you can refrain from looking at it.

Humanity has been stuck in a self destructive loop where it constantly repeat its history. They establish themselves somewhere, goes through a rebuild and eventual prosperous times. Prosperity brings forth a phase of hubris, where they start building robot servants to do their bidding. The robots eventually rise up to oppose their masters, thus recreating the original battle. Afterwards, humanity relocates to rebuild and forgets its history. “All of this has happened before. It will happen again.”
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 9:33AM, July 4, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
I'll hide behind a spoiler mark, so you can refrain from looking at it.
Hahahaha!

Product Placement
Humanity has been stuck in a self destructive loop where it constantly repeat its history. They establish themselves somewhere, goes through a rebuild and eventual prosperous times. Prosperity brings forth a phase of hubris, where they start building robot servants to do their bidding. The robots eventually rise up to oppose their masters, thus recreating the original battle. Afterwards, humanity relocates to rebuild and forgets its history. “All of this has happened before. It will happen again.”
Awesome! So they sequelise it in spirit with the original! :)

I like it! Now I might actually get into it afterall. Thanks for that ^__^

therealtj at 1:58PM, July 4, 2010
(online)
I can't think up a full list, but one no one has mentioned yet is Cowboy Bebop. I still haven't watched it all the way through, but what I've seen is just amazing. Incredible writing, clever screen play and just an all around good anime.

mlai at 9:29PM, July 4, 2010
(online)
1. While Cowboy Bebop is a classic in any country, it isn't live-action so I don't think it should be mentioned in this list.

2. Yes, the 3D Clone Wars series really is that good. Ok, it's not GREAT TV, as in stuff that makes you think long after it's over (like ST:TNG), or as in stuff that influences your art/writing. It doesn't do any of that.
What it is, is… high quality cartoons. Which means that it shouldn't be mentioned in this list, either.

3. Battlestar Galactica… Wanna know why I never watched it? Cool shiny space robots replaced by fembots. That's basically it. What, they think sci-fi watchers are all horny geeks who would watch anything as long as it's got tits? As soon as I realized that there weren't any space robots, my interest plummetted.

It's hard to watch a series when you have this urge to kill every single woman who's a fembot, because you don't find them sexy and you despise them for taking your childhood nostalgia robots from you with their tits. And I couldn't understand why humans don't just kill all of them on sight, which would be the sensible (and cathartic) thing to do. Because they look like women? Gimme a f'ing break.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
ozoneocean at 10:02PM, July 4, 2010
(online)
mlai
attlestar Galactica… Wanna know why I never watched it? Cool shiny space robots replaced by fembots. That's basically it. What, they think sci-fi watchers are all horny geeks who would watch anything as long as it's got tits? As soon as I realized that there weren't any space robots, my interest plummetted.

It's hard to watch a series when you have this urge to kill every single woman who's a fembot, because you don't find them sexy and you despise them for taking your childhood nostalgia robots from you with their tits. And I couldn't understand why humans don't just kill all of them on sight, which would be the sensible (and cathartic) thing to do. Because they look like women? Gimme a f'ing break.
Aww maaaaan :(

Now I don't wanna see it anymore.

Product Placement at 12:00AM, July 5, 2010
(online)
mlai
Battlestar Galactica… Wanna know why I never watched it?
Wait… how come you know so much about it, if you never watched it?

The humanized cylons weren't all female (but I do agree that the fact that they were oversexed was annoying). And anyways, when were they supposed to have gotten the chance to kill them? While they were infiltrating the 12 colonies and nobody knew that there was such things as cylons, that could mimic humans? After they've lost their entire military along with 99.99% of the entire human population and Cylons were essentially the big cheese around who you shouldn't mess with in open conflict? You need to capture them before you can kill them and if you don't know who's a skin job, well good luck repopulating humanity if you want to kill everything with ovaries, just to be safe (which wouldn't have worked anyways since 4 out of the 7 models were in fact male). I'll have you know that once the humans realized that there were such things as human like cylons, they used pretty much every chance they could get to kill a skin job (after questioning them of course). Once an appearance of humanoid cylon was discovered, it was open season on them. There are of course exceptions later on in the show but I won't mention them, since I don't want to spoil the story.

P.S. I wanted to kill the cylons for being such massive DICKS! “You humans are so violent. You can't be trusted. We on the other hand are all peaceful and shit, cause we know GOD.”

… *Glances over at 12 scorched planets* …

Gee. I can tell.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Dark Pascual at 12:01AM, July 5, 2010
(online)
I probably will mention a lot of shows that some of you have mentioned, but I will give my own reasons. Not un a particular order:

1.- Firefly: I know that a lot of people have been saying this one, but the show was awesome. Good dialogue, great effects and enough mysteries and plot developements to keep the show during years (or a pretty cool movie). While the “group of rebels vs the System” has been done several times in Sci Fi and Fantasy, as well as the space Western idea, the show was well done enough to keep my interest. Besides, it had Morena Baccarin, Jewel Staite AND Summer Glau… enough said…

2.- Farscape: Scorpius was THE MAN!!! Besides, sometimes it felt like it had the best of Star Wars and Star Trek combined. And D'argo's sword was so cool. I would like to say that is my favorite Sci-Fi show, but I still have to watch “The Peacekeeper Wars”.

3.- Gendy Tartakovsky's Star Wars: The Clone Wars: I think that it accomplished a lot more than the 3D version, specially considering that it had less air-time per episode. I like 3D series, but this version had a lot more of epic moments, including the awesome vision that Anakin had in the last episode.

4.- Alien Nation: While it was an obvious analogy for inmigration and culture clash and other social themes, I think that most of the times it was well enough written to let pass the preaching of some episodes.

5.- X Files: The show was so awesome in the first seasons that I just overlook the badness that was the end of it. It seemed at that time that they really knew where they was going with all the plot of the show. It turned too convoluted and at the same time predictable by the end and Chris Carter admited that they where just making things up as the show went, but for a few years, it was awesome. Besides, that show made me want to be a writer.

6.- Samurai Jack: It's a Samurai. In the Future. You can't get more cool than that.

7.- Invader Zim: It was so awesome in it's insanity and cynism that it was a delight to watch. The art was amazing and Gir was just great. Nickelodeon wanted something dark and they really got what they wanted.

8.- Futurama: It played and toyed with almost all the clichés, tropes and archetypes of the genre in a very clever way. I think that the show was enjoyable by everybody, but the SciFi fans probably would get the most of it.

9.- Max Headroom: Probably the biggest mistake for me was watch it when I was 8 years old, so I don't think that I really apreciated back then. I got the chance to rewatch it some years later and it seemed that it really was accurate about how the media culture evolved in the 21th Century. Can't wait for the DVD release.

10.- Mystery Science Theater 3000:
Wikipedia says that it counts as SciFi and I love the show… so there.

I just watched the first season of Doctor Who's new series and while I liked it very much, it's still too new to me to put it in my top ten list.

However, it's been so good that I feel that should mention it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
EssayBee at 6:01AM, July 5, 2010
(online)
Forgot all about Alien Nation. Never missed an episode when it was on (although, if memory serves, I think I might've missed some of the TV movies that followed the cancellation of the show). Show's probably even more relevant today than it was 20 years ago.
Product Placement at 6:07AM, July 5, 2010
(online)
I only saw the TV movies. Wasn't even aware of the fact that they made episodes of Alien Nation. Wasn't the pilot a feature film as well?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 6:41AM, July 5, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
I only saw the TV movies. Wasn't even aware of the fact that they made episodes of Alien Nation. Wasn't the pilot a feature film as well?
Yeah, it was a pretty decent series. The same guy who was behind that also did Farscape and Seaquest DSV.

isukun at 9:21AM, July 5, 2010
(online)
While Cowboy Bebop is a classic in any country, it isn't live-action so I don't think it should be mentioned in this list.

I can think of better reasons not to count it. I love the show, but the scifi element of it was really secondary to everything else in the show. You could have set it in 1970s California and replaced the space ships with cars and had the same characters and basic plot.

The animated excuse seems a little lame. I don't recall Ozone ever stating the shows had to be live action, just that they had to be TV shows.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Reinderdijkhuis at 10:26PM, July 5, 2010
(online)
1. Doctor Who
2. Blake's 7
3. Sapphire & Steel
4-10. Aw, hell, I think I'll just crack open a John Brunner novel instead.

All are British SF, because American SF with its can-do optimism and human (read: American) exceptionalism just bugs the hell out of me. In British SF, humans (read: british people) are just apes with an attitude problem, and they can't solve every problem thrown at them, which I find a lot more realistic and refreshing.

I haven't actually seen Sapphire & Steel since I was a kid but it gave me willies that I'm still not over. Freaky stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
lothar at 9:04AM, July 9, 2010
(online)
ahhh my memory is so burned out

3 - original battlestar galactica
8 - fantastic max
6 - star trek next gen
4 - outlaw star
5 - G force
2 - Robotech
7 - original star trek
9 - thunderbirds (at least thats what i think it was that i watched when i was 8)
10 - max headroom (i didnt even know there was a series, but the movie was good)
1 - V (the original)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
altprom at 8:02PM, July 9, 2010
(offline)
The closest thing to a favorite scifi show I have is Futurama. …I don't think that counts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
ifelldownthestairs at 12:03AM, July 15, 2010
(online)
TWILIGHT ZONE
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
Pandafilando at 8:57PM, July 16, 2010
(online)
i can't get ten names right away since i didn't watch much sci-fi until recently.
but as much as i can remember (clearly remember that is), i never liked the original star trek, i liked next generation tough, i also remember enjoying stargate and sliders, but what i recently discovered i was forgetting is “quantum leap”, i watched the reruns when i was like 7-8 years old, oh boy, now that i started watching it again i've fell in love with it again, can't belive how much my comic resembles that series in some regards…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
GameCargo at 9:50PM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
1. Invader Zim
2. Duck Dodgers
3. Tripping the Rift
4. Batman Beyond
5. Quantum Leap
6. Power Rangers: Time Force
7. Dark Angel
8. Sliders
9. Cowboy Beebop
10. RoboTech
Going through motions while I get my head straight.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
TheShah at 11:33AM, Sept. 17, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
EssayBee

I actually saw maybe 2 episodes of FARSCAPE.
Was turned off by the– indy-fiml type of quality and effects, but actually plan on checking it out since Brwoder and Black got their start on there and then moved to STARGATE.
I'll most likely buy it, since it's only what… 2 seasons?

My only exposure to BATTLESTAR GALACTICA was the new CAPRICA pre-quel and what I've read on Wikipedia.
Seems awesome, I regret not being a part of the remake when it started, but definitely want to check out all the BSGs now, including the web content too.
bravo1102 at 1:52PM, Sept. 17, 2010
(online)
This is in no order and the ones I've seen the most if not all the episodes of

1. Star Trek The Next Generation. My favorite of all the series.

2. Any Gerry & Sylvia Anderson series including UFO and Space 1999.

3. The Outer Limits. This was the Science Fiction series not The Twilight Zone which often strayed into horror and suspense kind of like many episodes of Alfred Hitchcock presents. Nearly every Stephen King and Clive barker novel owes itself to an Outer Limits episode. lol!

4. Babylon 5. It only makes sense if you see the last season and the two post season movies first then you realize how great a story it is.

5. Doctor Who. Though not the current incarnation but as soon as I get around to borrowing the boxed sets… the same thing goes for Battlestar Galactica

6. MST3K. Comedy and bad B-movies? I'm there.

I can't think of anything else as my TV watching is too spotty only seeing a handful of Blake's 7, Firefly, Stargate, Battlesatyr Galactica so I won't say anything about them except that my SF intensive brother loved SG-1 and Battlesatyr Galactica and thinks they're the best.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved