Media Megaforum

Top Ten best SciFi TV shows
ozoneocean at 8:39PM, Sept. 17, 2010
(online)
TheShah
I'll most likely buy it, since it's only what… 2 seasons?
Four seasons and a 4 part miniseries.
The 2nd and 3rd series are where it really takes off. I'm currently watching the final episode… Dragging it out :(
Man I was SOOOOOo pissed off when it was finally cancelled, especially since the piece of excrement that replaced it in the timeslot here was “America's top model” lol!

The last episode was beautifully ironically named “Bad timing” and the two main characters get killed by a strafing fighter that comes out of nowhere, with the big words “To be continued” at the end.
All so gloriously ironic in the context of the cancellation, and yet completely unintentional since that was all done before they knew :)
-I totally ignored the show for the first 3 years it was on. I only got into it when I was doing a lot of painting in the loungeroom and they were running marathons of it on cable. Got me hooked ^^
bravo1102
3. The Outer Limits. This was the Science Fiction series not The Twilight Zone which often strayed into horror and suspense kind of like many episodes of Alfred Hitchcock presents. Nearly every Stephen King and Clive barker novel owes itself to an Outer Limits episode. lol!

4. Babylon 5. It only makes sense if you see the last season and the two post season movies first then you realize how great a story it is.
Yeah, the twilight zone was often a little silly… Too often they followed the formula of the bad morality tale with now point. Lot's of cacophemistic fantasy/horror morality tales. Very well done, but it was a bad formula to keep on following- sure, have things turn out weird or horrible for someone, but don't give as the fatuous “punishment” justification for it!
The Outer Limits was better .

Babylon 5… throughout it was so stiff and plotted. Many of the actors came straight from Days of Our Lives and it showed. I bet most of the cameramen, directors and set designers did as well… I did like the pseudo religious stuff with all the “Early Ones” and the good and evil battles etc, the political stuff was well writen too. That stuff was good. It was just a pity they didn't have a better crew that could have given it a more cinematic feel. :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
mlai at 10:55PM, Sept. 17, 2010
(online)
YEAH, that is the #1 unspoken reason why I never got into Babylon 5. Ofc in later seasons it's because I cba'ed to catch up on the story, but I tried to watch it for the first 2-3 episodes and I couldn't. Because…

The crew had stupid looking FACES!

I'm serious, it's like watching a reality TV show with the word Ugly somewhere in the title. I'm sorry but I just couldn't watch.

My dedication was given to Space: Above And Beyond. A much better show that was bullied and killed by the inferior Babylon 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111one1+1=11

The fact that no one has yet mentioned S:AAB saddens my heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBaQFafK3ZU&feature=related

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Genejoke at 12:52AM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
wasn't space above and beyond after B5? it was a very good show, or started to become one, it was a little clumsy at first but got excellent. I forgot about that when doing the list.

Been looking for a dvd of s;aab but no such luck over here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
ozoneocean at 6:50AM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
Yeah, after watching that youtube vid I recall Space Above and Beyond. I think some farscape people my have worked on that one,,,?

Anyway, Space was good, I did watch the whole thing when it was first on, but its focus was a bit TOO military. It was very nicely done though and a I remember that they made things ambiguous saying that the story of alien invasion might not have been true and that the humans may of fired the first shots… The show stopped just as it was getting really interesting!

Now that I look at it again, it reminds me a lot of Starship Troopers- both the live action movie and the 3D animated TV series. I wonder if the those adaptions of Starship Troopers were at all influenced by this show?

ayesinback at 8:07AM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
I didn't realize that there are so many SF shows I like, in rough order, the list includes:

Outer Limits
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Quantum Leap
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Alien Nation
Doctor Who

But my favorite will probably harm some sensitivities here; it's: Lost in Space. I like it even more now because it is SO BAD. “The pain. The pain.”
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
TheShah at 9:33AM, Sept. 18, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
The 2nd and 3rd series are where it really takes off. I'm currently watching the final episode… Dragging it out :(
Man I was SOOOOOo pissed off when it was finally cancelled, especially since the piece of excrement that replaced it in the timeslot here was “America's top model” lol!

The last episode was beautifully ironically named “Bad timing” and the two main characters get killed by a strafing fighter that comes out of nowhere, with the big words “To be continued” at the end.
All so gloriously ironic in the context of the cancellation, and yet completely unintentional since that was all done before they knew :)
-I totally ignored the show for the first 3 years it was on. I only got into it when I was doing a lot of painting in the loungeroom and they were running marathons of it on cable. Got me hooked ^^

DUDE!!
Why, would you do that?!
I haven't seen it you realize. Bah.

I'll still watch it. lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Genejoke at 9:56AM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
There have been some really good episodes of the outer limits, there was one run that I really enjoyed, can't remember much about it but one had mark hamil, another brent spiner.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
ozoneocean at 9:44PM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
ayesinback
But my favorite will probably harm some sensitivities here; it's: Lost in Space. I like it even more now because it is SO BAD. “The pain. The pain.”
I watched that constantly as a little kid… it was on at 5 in the morning or something. Loved it!
Best bits were always with Dr Smith and his stupid robot.
TheShah
DUDE!!
Why, would you do that?!
I haven't seen it you realize. Bah.
Hahah, well it's not the end of the end. The 4 hour miniseries ties up all the loose ends :)
Genejoke
There have been some really good episodes of the outer limits, there was one run that I really enjoyed, can't remember much about it but one had mark hamil, another brent spiner.
I remember… Hamil was an Alien in disguise… but a good one. It had some good story arcs. I think they were all connected in some way.

mlai at 11:09PM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
S:AAB “too military”? Hell, I liked it *because* it was too military! Same reason why I liked Starship Troopers and Aliens! Screw the hokey sissy Star Trek uniforms! Dress like REAL MEN you pussies! Worf and Tyr Anasazi need to just go postal and kick the hairless asses of everyone all up and down their respective ships.

Except Captains Patrick Stewart and Kevin Sorbo. I like them.

Ozone
The 2nd and 3rd series are where it really takes off. I'm currently watching the final episode… Dragging it out
Man I was SOOOOOo pissed off when it was finally cancelled, especially since the piece of excrement that replaced it in the timeslot here was “America's top model”
Which show are you talking about? I lost track.

ozoneocean at 11:31PM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
mlai
Kevin Sorbo. I like them.
Too bad Andromeda was so plastic you could choke on the fumes…
It had promise, but they made it toooo… shiny? Human mannequins.
mlai
Which show are you talking about? I lost track.
Farescape of course! ^_^

mlai at 11:35PM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
I lost interest in Andromeda after Tyr Anasazi shaved his head and then got killed off. All self-respecting sci-fi black men have dreads.

(Worf has dreads too just not on his head.)

Yeah the show had promise in the first 2 or so seasons.

ozoneocean at 11:40PM, Sept. 18, 2010
(online)
Tyr was the best character. 100% agree on the dreads.
I didn't watch it long enough to know what happened to him, that's a shame. -_-

bravo1102 at 10:36AM, Sept. 19, 2010
(online)
Space: Above and Beyond? Which recycled scripts from Baa Baa Black Sheep? And was actually filmed with help of the Marine Corps? Oh yeah behind that awesome space fighter is a line-up of F-18s and is obviously 1990's Camp Pendleton, right and they fly biplanes off the shuttle deck of the Enterprise.

Bab5 had an Earth space going military that made sense from a SF point of view not the current USMC transplanted into space fighting aliens and flying space fighters just using the insert key of the word processor on scripts about Japanese and Corsairs. Better off watching Major Dad at least it was funny and unpretentious.

And Days of our Lives? What version of that soap were you watching? General Hospital if anything, especially the series with Luke and Laura going all action adventure with Alan Quartermane. WTF is the character from King Solomon's Mines doing in a soap? lol! (It was even acknowledged the same family in the world of the show)

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
mlai at 9:57PM, Sept. 19, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
Space: Above and Beyond? Which recycled scripts from Baa Baa Black Sheep? And was actually filmed with help of the Marine Corps?

Bab5 had an Earth space going military that made sense from a SF point of view not the current USMC transplanted into space fighting aliens and flying space fighters
F— YEAH! Ofc it's just USMC fighting aliens with a nickname suspiciously derogatory to Asians. That's what I want, Huzzah! That's why I watched Starship Troopers: Nazis taken over the planet and then fights aliens!

Screw Bab5 with its ugly sissy looking actors. Not a drop of testosterone among them, and yet too ugly to be shiny mannequins spouting humanistic philosophy.

ozoneocean at 10:32PM, Sept. 19, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
And Days of our Lives?
Well… for a start the doctor in Babylon 5 played a doctor in Days of our Lives. Both were main characters… were the same character. o_O
mlai
Screw Bab5 with its ugly sissy looking actors. Not a drop of testosterone among them, and yet too ugly to be shiny mannequins spouting humanistic philosophy.
Heh. They were good “character” faces.
Apart from Garabaldi…

The worst thing about Babylon 5 were the costumes. They accentuated male paunch. VERY badly designed! They even made you look fat if you had nothing there.

Ah, Andromeda… Their bad guys were pretty scary creatures.- the egglaying stuff always creeps me out.

bravo1102 at 10:30AM, Sept. 21, 2010
(online)
As much as I loved the movie for itself (sheer unadulterated VIOLENCE and nudity!) I'll never forgive Starship Troopers for taking such an excellent book and reducing it to ZULU DAWN with bugs.

I'll have to track down Space A&B and watch it again if it's as Gung-ho as all that. The episodes I saw all seemed full of whiney angst.

As for Bab5 I loved Ivanova. Two of my favorite Sci-fi babes were played by actresses named Claudia; Claudia Black and Claudia Christanson.

And as far as costume design? Real BDUs made even the tiniest most petite woman look like a linebacker. I grew up watching Kirk's expanding and declining pauch through three seasons of Classic Star Trek the Bab5 uniforms looked comfy and functional. The spandex First Season Star Trek TNG uniforms were the worst and then by third season we got the “real” Picard manuever where he always was pulling down bottom of his jacket. But that's real, just ask any British veteran about battledress jackets.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved