Media Megaforum

Torchwood
BlueFlame_Studios at 11:04AM, Feb. 20, 2008
(offline)
Captain Jack Harkness
The 21st Century is when everything changes…

I've completely have fallen in love with this show.

The whole concept of Torchwood itself is pretty cool.

Wiki
Torchwood is a science fiction drama television programme, created by Russell T Davies and starring John Barrowman and Eve Myles. It deals with the machinations and activities of the Cardiff branch of the fictional Torchwood Institute, who deal mainly with incidents involving extraterrestrials.

It's now in it's 2nd season and I think this one is better than the first. And I really can't wait for the 3 part episode where Freema Agyeman reprises her role as Martha Jones.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
Ziffy88 at 4:40PM, Feb. 20, 2008
(offline)
Torchwood is okay but it kind of suffers from a few things.

Mostly it's a little too over the top depressing at times for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
BlueFlame_Studios at 4:54PM, Feb. 22, 2008
(offline)
Ziffy88
Mostly it's a little too over the top depressing at times for me.

You find it depressing? No wonder you think the show is just ‘ok’. :(

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
Ziffy88 at 8:08PM, Feb. 22, 2008
(offline)
The mood of the entire show is very depressing. What they talk about is very depressing. compare that to Dr Who which it can't live up too.

Also some of the characters are just annoying at times.

still it is a cool sci-fi show. Though it does feel a little inconsistent about how secret Torchwood is.
lastcall at 9:17AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
Where can I find this show? I've never heard of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
BlueFlame_Studios at 12:50PM, Feb. 24, 2008
(offline)
Ziffy88
The mood of the entire show is very depressing. What they talk about is very depressing. compare that to Dr Who which it can't live up too.

Also some of the characters are just annoying at times.

still it is a cool sci-fi show. Though it does feel a little inconsistent about how secret Torchwood is.

Ah-ha! I figured you were going to compare it to Doctor Who. Those are two different types of Sci-Fi that should never be compared. That's like comparing Metal Gear Solid with Syphon Filter.

I find Gwen to be pretty annoying at times, she'll get in the way of what Jack wants/needs to do.

I think Russell T. Davies was going for that type of mood, a more realistic, ‘'adult’' sci-fi experience.

lastcall
Where can I find this show? I've never heard of it.

You can find it on BBCA (BBC America) every Saturday at 8 and 9pm.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
Ziffy88 at 2:08PM, Feb. 24, 2008
(offline)
No one's a spin-off so you have every right to compare it with Dr. Who because the Doctor affects some of the stories for Torchwood. Just because it has a different mood, it should not be compared? Who cares it's not as good as it's parent program.

Not only is Gwen a little annoying but her fiance yeesh

John Barrowman even though he is Jack Harkness he does over do it a bit. We get it he's a horny guy…

They actually made some of the characters a lot more interesting though. When I first saw the beginning I thought Owen=ugly ass but after a while I started warming up to his character. Even Ianto though he's a bit too emotional

Also it's obvious the show is meant to bring in some of the older Dr. Who fans into it.

It's only an okay show really. There have been other Sci-fi shows with the same type of stories that have been better.
BlueFlame_Studios at 5:19PM, Feb. 24, 2008
(offline)
Ziffy88
the Doctor affects some of the stories for Torchwood. Just because it has a different mood, it should not be compared?

her fiance yeesh

John Barrowman even though he is Jack Harkness he does over do it a bit. We get it he's a horny guy…

Even Ianto though he's a bit too emotional

Also it's obvious the show is meant to bring in some of the older Dr. Who fans into it.

There have been other Sci-fi shows with the same type of stories that have been better.

What instance in any Torchwood episode besides the Season 1 Finale did The Doctor directly affect?

Her fiancee, Rhys, is a bit of a handful. Though I think it's better off than he knows what's going on than keeping up that horrible charade.

I honestly don't like Ianto that much, he comes off a bit odd to me.

The show is meant to bring in old Whovians? How so?

Are we talking British shows or American? And which ones would those be anyway?

I'm not saying this show is the best thing around but you have to give it more credit than that.

Wiki
As a spin-off of long-running British cultural artifact Doctor Who, Torchwood's launch into British popular culture has received much positive and negative review, commentary and parody following the hype of its inception, especially in regards to its status as an “adult” Doctor Who spin-off as well as its characterisation and portrayal of sex. The series initially attracted record high ratings, which later fell, but ensured the programme at least a second series.

In April 2007, Torchwood beat its parent series, which is also made in Wales, to win the Best Drama Series category at the BAFTA Cymru Awards. The awards, given by the Welsh branch of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, celebrate the achievements of film and television productions made in Wales. Eve Myles won the Best Actress category at the same awards, ahead of Doctor Who's Billie Piper.

Wiki
Torchwood explores several themes in its narrative, in particular LGBT themes. Various characters are portrayed as sexually fluid; through those characters, the series examines homosexual and bisexual relationships. Although the nature of their sexual flexibility is not explicitly discussed, the characters offer varying perspectives on orientation.

Through the use of repetition, in particular of thematically important lines, and by drawing parallels between characters, the show also delves somewhat into existentialism, the value of human life, and the corrupting nature of power.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
Ziffy88 at 10:18PM, Feb. 24, 2008
(offline)
Just because they explore themes does not make it that interesting…now keep in mind I actually enjoy the show a bit but I'm just not too wild about it.
Many of the references are from Dr. Who, when I first watched it I didn't really watch Dr. Who back then so I had no idea what the characters were talking about. Stars in space spaceships

But really the second season is really alot better than the first season. So really it is a good show but it's not all that it could be. It's taken an old concept(government cover-up dealing with aliens) but made it much more small scale.

The idea of the government dealing with aliens on a modern times earth has been done though. MIB, Stargate series, Roswell Conspiracies(I still love this series and Irish aliens are cool!) But right now it's the only show on TV that does have this but I kind of want some more but with the way they're going, chances are it's going to be pretty awesome
DAJB at 5:51AM, Feb. 25, 2008
(online)
I'm not a big fan of Torchwood. Like most British TV SciFi it suffers from low-budgets, barely adequate effects and ho-hum scripting/acting.

The revamped/relaunched Dr Who gets away with it because David Tennant's “Doctor” is so engaging and enthusiastic, he just roller-coasters his way through the hokum and almost makes it believable.

Cap'n Jack, on the other hand, I find a pretty bland and uninteresting character while the rest of the cast look as if they've just stepped out of their first school play. Of course, that could just be the fault of the scripts. If they took out the references to sex, it would be an okay kids programme but, for me, it really doesn't cut it as a programme aimed at adults.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Ziffy88 at 12:06PM, Feb. 25, 2008
(offline)
I actually like the special effects sometimes it looks decent other times it can look terrible
Ziffy88 at 8:57PM, Feb. 25, 2008
(offline)
one thing I have to remind people about John Barrowman had one of the worst lines in film history from Shark Attack 3(classic)
DAJB at 12:28AM, Feb. 26, 2008
(online)
Ziffy88
one thing I have to remind people about John Barrowman had one of the worst lines in film history from Shark Attack 3(classic)
Just for info … what was her answer?
;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Ziffy88 at 8:56PM, Feb. 26, 2008
(offline)
the only thing good about the movie…okay maybe not she said yes

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved