Media Megaforum

Tosh.0, more popular than Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
MicMit at 8:39AM, July 13, 2010
(online)
No seriously. I gagged reading this, http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66B47T20100712

Just how far have we fallen. The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are my favorite shows, and pretty much the only thing I watch on television with any regularity.

I've watched Tosh.0 and I've seriously seen that style of show done three different times on other channels, all of them bombed horribly. Now I'm being told it's more popular than the two reining kings of Comedy Central? WTF?!

It's not even that entertaining, in fact its a freaking backstep. It's a TELEVISION show about INTERNET videos. You know the magical super network that most people have instant access to at the click of a button. Have we gotten so lazy that rather than clicking that button, we'd just rather drool on the couch.

Are the numbers brought purely through Daniel Tosh's comedy? I mean, he's alright, I laugh at him occasionally, but at the same time his humor thrives on him being a complete dick. He simply does not have the wit to match Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, so how did it happen?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Dark Pascual at 10:15AM, July 13, 2010
(online)
There is a TV SHOW about INTERNET VIDEOS?

The circle is complete.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Hawk at 11:19AM, July 13, 2010
(online)
Dark Pascual
There is a TV SHOW about INTERNET VIDEOS?

There are actually several.

Congratulations, world. There's now a TV-show version of that guy at the office who makes sure you've seen all the popular internet videos.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
blindsk at 1:00PM, July 13, 2010
(online)
Great, this topic is beginning to make me feel young when compared to you guys.

Yep, what you're witnessing here is TV's desperate attempt to cater to the new generation audience of internet goers. Apparently my particular age group is considered at the forefront of all this, what with people spending much more time on the internet per day than watching TV. News companies are catching on fast, and I think that's why were starting to see really bizarre topics popping up on these stations.

TV is starting to fall (much like newspapers and magazines).

It may come to no surprise that I actually enjoy the show, Tosh.0. Though that may have something to do with the fact that I followed him before his show when he performed his standup. This guy is very clever, I wouldn't doubt he's well in touch with what viewers are after (as the rating shows).

If anything, I enjoy the “Web Redemption” part of the show. Imagine having the chance to talk to some of these people making a fool of themselves on youtube. Call me a sadist, but I find those segments of Tosh's show to be quite hilarious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
isukun at 1:24PM, July 13, 2010
(online)
There's now a TV-show version of that guy at the office who makes sure you've seen all the popular internet videos.

Actually, I worked on a show that was basically that. It still kind of pisses me off. Our show was better suited to Comedy Central, but they put it on MTV, anyway, and MTV basically ran it into the ground. And I find that Tosh.0 is better suited to MTV, but they got the more cushy Comedy Central spot.

Our show was animated, with half of the show being dedicated to storylines involving the people around the office and their wacky adventures and was by the creators of Drawn Together. MTV never hyped it, and after two weeks we found ourselves in a late night time slot (like 2AM). I don't think they even list the show on MTV's web site anymore and I doubt there will ever be DVDs. That waggling penis I drew was all for naught.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Hawk at 1:29PM, July 13, 2010
(online)
isukun
MTV basically ran it into the ground.

MTV doing what they do best.

Anyway, the show you worked on does sound better than Tosh.0.
isukun at 3:12PM, July 13, 2010
(online)
Well, I think it was, but I may be a bit biased. The sad thing is I've gotten requests from people who look at my reel for copies of the show and I really don't know what to tell people. There aren't any and MTV certainly isn't showing it, anymore.
ozoneocean at 8:38PM, July 13, 2010
(online)
Man, I wish you had a youtube vid to show :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
isukun at 9:57PM, July 13, 2010
(online)
Unfortunately, most of what they got on youtube is just clips of the two title characters commenting on the internet clips. Honestly, I always found the main storylines to be funnier, or at least more interesting. If you want to look into it, the show was DJ & the Fro. It didn't do so hot in the ratings thanks to the treatment we got. Hell, I can't even find torrents of the damn show at this point. You'd never know it existed if it wasn't for the handful of clips on youtube and a couple of web sites. I don't know, maybe someone more dedicated than I can round up a few full episodes from somewhere.
Ochitsukanai at 11:09PM, July 13, 2010
(online)
I can only find the complete first episode.

Edit: Episode 2 in three parts.

Even though it was 2009, I've never heard of it before today. o_O

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
ozoneocean at 2:25AM, July 14, 2010
(online)
Ochitsukanai
I can only find the complete first episode
“Ooh, credits! I wanna see who played the nerd.”

lol!

Gerald Thickens —_—

isukun at 2:41AM, July 14, 2010
(online)
Another annoying little tidbit was that MTV aired all of the episodes out of order. I think the “first” episode was the one they aired during the MTV Movie Awards. It was actually episode six or seven. The second one, although the first aired once they started the show was actually the fourth episode. The actual first episode wasn't aired until about halfway through the series. It's pretty obvious that it's supposed to be the first episode too, since DJ and the Fro are new hires at Opricon. The only episode that was aired correctly was the last one.

Of those two, I worked on the second one. I did some of the animation for Marty at the end. Wow, the animators were really off model on some of those early episodes. I know there were a lot of notes on the Emergency Contact episode. The AD and one of the animators were kind of doing their own thing with too much motion blur and noodly apendeges.

Also, they gave us those purple “Gropes are for Dopes” shirts at the wrap party.
therealtj at 9:59AM, July 14, 2010
(online)
isukun
Also, they gave us those purple “Gropes are for Dopes” shirts at the wrap party.

D:

I want one!

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
ozoneocean at 6:54AM, July 15, 2010
(online)
isukun
Wow, the animators were really off model on some of those early episodes. I know there were a lot of notes on the Emergency Contact episode. The AD and one of the animators were kind of doing their own thing with too much motion blur and noodly apendeges
I don't notice any of that detail :)\That's way too tight for me!
therealtj
isukun
D:

I want one!
Me too! :(

therealtj at 7:59AM, July 15, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
therealtj
isukun
D:

I want one!
Okay, Ozone, follow my lead…

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
Air Raid Robertson at 9:15PM, July 15, 2010
(online)
I saw this Tosh guy do a little stand-up and he's actually pretty funny. I don't really like his show though. He's forced to filter his humor into dumb internet videos that everyone is sick of looking at anyways.

I doubt that Tosh.0 will be able to retain such high numbers. It'll probably run for a while though since it's probably very cheap to produce.

I doubt John Stewart or Steven Colbert are losing any sleep over this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
12thCenturyFox at 9:59PM, July 15, 2010
(offline)
It may be popular for now, but I don't see Tosh.0 making any real cultural impact anytime soon, let alone to the magnitude of what The Daily Show and The Colbert Report have already achieved. Sure, the ratings seem somewhat remarkable. Especially for a show with a pointless premise. Yet a couple of seasons in and there's no famed neologisms, nor any buildings, mascots, species named after the host, etc etc.. nope, just overrated internet videos.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
ozoneocean at 2:14AM, July 16, 2010
(online)
therealtj
ozoneocean
therealtj
isukun
D:

I want one!
Okay, Ozone, follow my lead…
Wow TJ, lookin sexy bro ^^

Product Placement at 3:45PM, July 16, 2010
(online)
I've noticed Jay Leno is doing this now. During his opening monologues he often stops to say “And here's what we like to call” and then throws in a witty title like “How ling will it take?” or “Mister Inappropriate” and then shows us well known youtube videos, related to the title.

He even once showed a video made by Icelandic dudes which he titled “With friends like these”

I've also noticed him show pictures from ThereIFixedIt when he's doing his weekly headlines sketch.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
ozoneocean at 8:05PM, July 16, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
He even once showed a video made by Icelandic dudes which he titled “With friends like these”
Ha! :)
I can't read the subtitles :(

That guy's reaction was hilarious!
…this is what happens when Vikings forget their helmets.

Product Placement at 8:23PM, July 16, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
I can't read the subtitles :(
Pretty self explanatory stuff.
“Óli!
Let's play a little game.
We're supposed to hit each other
on the head with a spoon
however we're supposed to use our mouths.” (only translated the text)

Also worth noting that at 1:25 the victim turns to the guy behind him to ask “what are you laughing about?”
ozoneocean
That guy's reaction was hilarious!
Yeah, he's a riot. The three guys are brothers and the middle guy is now famous as the national fool. Comes with the territory of living in a small community. You really don't want to be an Icelander and end up in a popular youtube video. EVERYONE will know who you are.
Edit:Here's his facebook page, if you want to say hi.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
ozoneocean at 10:13PM, July 16, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
Here's his facebook page, if you want to say hi.
Ottó and Morri are evil fiends :)

Hawk at 5:24PM, July 17, 2010
(online)
Even Leno now? Wow. I've also seen CNN show viral videos every now and then.

I wonder if TV executives are starting to feel threatened by the internet. I mean, between Hulu and Youtube you've got the chance to see almost anything you want, whenever you want. Plus, some of the stuff people put on Youtube is fresher and funnier than anything TV writers are coming up with.

Is television trying to harness the internet and use it to its advantage?
isukun at 10:20PM, July 17, 2010
(online)
You know how much it costs to get the licensing to air a youtube clip? I think the upper limit with DJ & the Fro was something like $500. Most we could get the rights to for under $100. That's cheaper than reality TV. In this day and age, I'll bet network execs salivate at the prospect of just buying up and airing youtube clips. I don't think they find them threatening at all, they see it as a way to finally cut out the talent from TV (by which I mean writers, actors, camera men, and so forth).
therealtj at 8:31AM, July 18, 2010
(online)
isukun
You know how much it costs to get the licensing to air a youtube clip? I think the upper limit with DJ & the Fro was something like $500. Most we could get the rights to for under $100. That's cheaper than reality TV. In this day and age, I'll bet network execs salivate at the prospect of just buying up and airing youtube clips. I don't think they find them threatening at all, they see it as a way to finally cut out the talent from TV (by which I mean writers, actors, camera men, and so forth).
Youtube people could stop this! All they have to do is demand umpteen thousands for their clips and problem solved!

isukun at 3:25PM, July 18, 2010
(online)
When they're willing to post these videos for free, I don't see why they would demand so much to broadcast them. These people are after exposure, not wealth. A lot of the videos we used we were able to get for free with written consent from the original creators.
altprom at 6:20PM, July 26, 2010
(offline)
A reason I hate to admit might come into play here is that we enjoy watching more and more ridiculous things.

A big reason that people watch television is to relax, to not have to think about anything. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are shows that involve opinions and information about politics. Now, for most people that's not very relaxing. Watching someone comment on silly internet clips? There's to thinking to it!

Another example of people making the dumbest things ever on televison popular? Two words: Jersey Shore.

Air Raid Robertson
I saw this Tosh guy do a little stand-up and he's actually pretty funny.

I've seen his stand up too, and I think he's funny. He does have a sense of humor that's not for everyone though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
F Y R E 13 R A N D at 10:07AM, July 27, 2010
(online)
The concept is similar to America's Funniest Home Videos, really.

I guess it has its place, but it bothers me that there are those who try to become famous by presenting other people's content.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved