Media Megaforum

Tr2n
kingofsnake at 8:48AM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
So, they had a trailer at San Diego Comic Con for Tron 2

Is anyone else as excited about this as I am? Jeff Bridges to star! Tron is one of those movies I loved as a kid that, despite the big gap in special effects, still holds up surprisingly well.

I tried to find that teaser trailer online and…well… I got rick rolled… twice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
SpANG at 9:56AM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
I loved Tron. Tron was the first movie to incorporate CGI effects. The religious undertones in this movie were extremely clever. I too think it holds up. The only reason it didn't do better is that Disney released it at the same time as ET and people migrated to the simpler story.

I dunno about a sequel, though they did mention possibly doing one in the DVD.

I found a bootleg:

http://tron-2-trailer.blogspot.com/

Looks like Flynn is now the bad guy? Makes sense, since at the end of the other one, he acquired the company. I can't make out the dialogue, but the blue guy is asking something, and the Flynn program says “not anymore”.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Hawk at 11:13AM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
I thought they already did a sequel and it was a game (Tron 2.0). And it was excellent. But I'll certainly accept a movie sequel as well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Sea_Cow at 4:15PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(offline)
Jeff Bridges? Will he be getting his cyber-carpet pissed on, then?
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
SpANG at 6:47PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
Found a fan's written perspective to the teaser. Check it out:

The footage starts with a computer generated guy peeking around a corner. He had light blue glowing lines on him. As the dude peeked around the corner a sound can be heard, a low rumble.

Keep in mind they didn't announce what this was, just that it was a surprise presentation.

The guy hears the sound, getting louder, and he runs down the corridor, black obsidian walls. A vehicle speeds behind him and he jumps in the air, throwing a stick out in front of him and suddenly we're underneath him as he jumps for it in mid-air, the lightcycle forming around him. He hits the ground running and the lightcycles battle.

They aren't turning at hard angles anymore, the movement more fluid. The cycles slam into each other, knocking each other around like in a car chase, but the yellow and blue lines don't touch in any of this.

The yellow cycle runs up on another level with a transparent floor, keeping an eye on the blue below. They get back on the same level and more close calls.

The guy in the blue cycle sees the crack in the wall. THE FISSURE that we know and love. The blue cycle races toward it, barely in the lead and makes the crack, the yellow cycle skidding to a stop within inches of the wall.

After a beat the yellow cycle speeds off. Then we're with the POV of the blue cycle taking the turns in the fissure slowly and carefully. Then we see the yellow cycle racing along the top of the canyon, looking down at the blue cycle, then speeding ahead.

The blue cycle exits the other side and heads down a light-outlined corridor in the giant open space, seemingly alone. Out of nowhere, the yellow cycle puts on a booster burst of speed and cuts the blue cycle off.

The blue cycle crashes into the yellow line, shattering the vehicle and sending the blue rider flying through the air and crashing hard to the ground, sliding to the edge of a precipice, but he catches himself at the last minute, pulling his body back over the lip.

Then the most shocking moment of the trailer. We cut out of CG and into live action. A grey-haired and bearded Kevin Flynn–Jeff Bridges— is sitting in a stark white room, seemingly meditating. His eyes open and he stands, walking to a large rectangular window and we see he's overlooking the arena. He looks down at the yellow and blue rider.

The blue rider is defeated on the ground and the yellow rider walks toward him. We can see the blue rider's face, a younger guy. The yellow rider's face is obscured by a black faceplate. The yellow rider reaches back and grabs his disc from his back.

The blue rider looks scared and says, “Hey! It's only a game!” The yellow rider's visor lights up and it's young Flynn's face, 1982 Jeff Bridges. He says, “Not anymore” and then goes for the kill. As he does the screen cuts to black and the title comes up: TR2N.
lastcall at 7:48PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(offline)
Hawk
I thought they already did a sequel and it was a game (Tron 2.0). And it was excellent. But I'll certainly accept a movie sequel as well.

Yeah Tron 2.0 is a PC game, it's a few years old. It's good, my husband still plays it.

…And Jeff Bridges is The Dude, he can do whatever he wants and drink White Russians while he does it. ;)

….Hmm. I'm not really sure how this would do, box-office-wise. If they're looking to make money I don't think they're going to have a lot of luck. Then again, the older people might get all nostalgic and want to drag their kids to see it. But I really don't see kids interested in this, it's too old-school. Didn't the first one suck at the box-office, but it became sort of an underground cult hit and special FX breakthrough kind of thing? It was definitely unique-looking for its time. Actually it still is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
fern at 9:31PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
I've never seen Tron D : but lemme just add this and then I'll be on my way.

Homer: Uh…it's like…did anyone see the movie “Tron”?
Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Wiggum: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Wiggum: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Frink: No.
Lovejoy: No.
Wiggum: Yes. I mean – um, I mean, no. No, heh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
SpANG at 10:04PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
lastcall
Didn't the first one suck at the box-office, but it became sort of an underground cult hit and special FX breakthrough kind of thing? It was definitely unique-looking for its time. Actually it still is.
E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial
Release Date: 11 June 1982 (USA)

Tron
Release Date: 9 July 1982 (USA)

Unfortunately, Tron was a victim of timing. Not just because it was a bad release date decision by Disney. The movie was way too ground-breaking for it's time to attract a decent audience. Many critics panned it because they didn't understand it. Hell, the actors have confessed they didn't know what they were talking about half the time. Computers were relatively new, not in any households, and not readily comprehended by the average Joe. I was only a kid and I don't even remember it in the theater. I saw it like 5 years later and it was fantastic. But which one holds up, especially for someone that would want a more sophisticated story? Tron, hands down.
lastcall at 6:19AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(offline)
Hmm, I didn't know Tron and ET were release that close together. How unfortunate. Yeah, actually now that I think about it, since computers are in basically every home in America now, it might get a better reception this time around.

I always loved the story concept and the art design (if the great Syd Mead is doing the concept design for this one like he did the first one and the video game, it's got to be good), so I am anxious to check it out. …And again, who can resist The Dude? ;)
kingofsnake at 12:55PM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
I hate the idea of Flynn being a villain, but I love Jeff Bridges playing a villain.

I think Tron will probably do fairly well. I mean just about anyone who's seen it will want to see the sequel. It's got that sleek videogamey look the kids like. Plus KH2 has a Tron level and I think that was done on purpose to help drum up support.

Tron is like the little black sheep of the disney family. Everyone loves it but didn't get over merchandised and shoved down our throats like everything else they do so is still has this cult status that nothing else disney's ever done really has (except maybe Black Cauldron)

SpANG at 7:42PM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
To tell you the truth, I'm a little dissapointed they aren't re-telling the original story.
Fenn at 7:46PM, Aug. 3, 2008
(offline)
But… what about Bruce Boxleitner? Can you really make a TRON sequel without Tron?

I thought the game kicked ass… but could have used Jeff Bridges in it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
bobhhh at 3:14AM, Aug. 4, 2008
(offline)
SpANG
To tell you the truth, I'm a little dissapointed they aren't re-telling the original story.

Why retell a perfect film? Tron was awesome, I personally am curious as to what will happen in the new flick.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
kingofsnake at 6:44AM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
Fenn
…but could have used Jeff Bridges in it.

That could be said about alot of things
ozoneocean at 7:32AM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
kingofsnake
Fenn
…but could have used Jeff Bridges in it.
That could be said about alot of things
No thanks… I remember when I thought that about Nicholas Cage. Way back just after the Razing Arizona days.

I loved that British villain in the Tron movie. He was my favourite character. ^_^

-edit: Sark. Looked it up. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
kingofsnake at 9:06AM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
…I remember when I thought that about Nicholas Cage.

I never really liked Nicholas Cage…

If Jeff Bridges starts doing movies like National Treasure, I'll take it back
ozoneocean at 10:12AM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
Face off, The Rock , 9mm. City of Angels, Con air, Leaving Los Vegas or whatever the crap he did…

Now back when it was just stuff like Birdy, Razing Arizona and Rumblefish… things were good.
—————-
Heh, Bridges is generally good. And I love that original Tron movie. It conceptualised the strange idea of being in a computer so neatly, and the glowing suits were such a magical effect.

SpANG at 10:37AM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
bobhhh
SpANG
To tell you the truth, I'm a little disapointed they aren't re-telling the original story.

Why retell a perfect film?
Why else? To capture the interest of a younger crowd. To invigorate people other than the 30-plusers that remember the movie with a deep sense of nostalgia. To keep the franchise alive.

Kids that watch that movie today think that it looks like crap and are disinterested. Sorry to say.
bobhhh at 2:20PM, Aug. 4, 2008
(offline)
SpANG
bobhhh
SpANG
To tell you the truth, I'm a little disapointed they aren't re-telling the original story.

Why retell a perfect film?
Why else? To capture the interest of a younger crowd. To invigorate people other than the 30-plusers that remember the movie with a deep sense of nostalgia. To keep the franchise alive.

Kids that watch that movie today think that it looks like crap and are disinterested. Sorry to say.

Sorry I don't buy that Tron looks like crap, but point taken.
Hawk at 3:04PM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
Spang's right, Tron is drenched in 80's vibe. Even if you remove the outside-the-computer portions, the rest could still benefit from better film and sound technology (that's completely aside from CGI technology). However, a proper remastering could really do wonders to it. I don't think the 20th Anniversary Edition was even remastered.
SpANG at 8:14PM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
Hawk
Spang's right, Tron is drenched in 80's vibe. Even if you remove the outside-the-computer portions, the rest could still benefit from better film and sound technology (that's completely aside from CGI technology). However, a proper remastering could really do wonders to it. I don't think the 20th Anniversary Edition was even remastered.
Well, unfortunately, that would be a decent start, but it would still be dated. The whole arcade angle would have to be re-worked. Who goes to arcades anymore?

And I'm not saying that I think it looks bad. I remember how ahead of its time it actually was. A twelve year old wouldn't though.

I'll always feel jaded that Tron didn't get a fair shake because it was so ahead of its time. I'd just like it to get the credit it deserves.
ozoneocean at 8:51PM, Aug. 4, 2008
(online)
A sequel is probably better than a re-tell though… So you can get people interested with a new story while piggybacking on the things that were so good in the first one: Life inside the machine, the glowy costumes etc.

Just because as you say the first story is out of date now: a re-tell would telling a different story with the same themes anyway. So you may as well do a sequel. :)

kingofsnake at 9:02AM, Aug. 5, 2008
(online)
I'm with OO on this one. Better to tell a second story that people could enjoy without nessecarily needing to see the first one.
jalford at 3:07AM, Aug. 6, 2008
(online)
Worked for the Hulk.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
bobhhh at 12:46AM, Aug. 7, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
A sequel is probably better than a re-tell though… So you can get people interested with a new story while piggybacking on the things that were so good in the first one: Life inside the machine, the glowy costumes etc.

Just because as you say the first story is out of date now: a re-tell would telling a different story with the same themes anyway. So you may as well do a sequel. :)

Word.

Retelling wouldn't update it as much as change it to the point that it would be nearly unrecognizable. A sequel(or an update) would be more effective.
Hawk at 9:48AM, Aug. 7, 2008
(online)
I would also prefer a sequel… one that also acquaints newcomers with the concepts of being inside a computer. I don't want to retread the old story.
lastcall at 2:53PM, Aug. 7, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
I loved that British villain in the Tron movie. He was my favourite character. ^_^

-edit: Sark. Looked it up. :)

….Also known as David Warner. He also did the voice of “The Lobe” in Freakazoid. He's still alive, maybe they'll ask him to make an appearance in TR2N. Who knows. ;)

Looks like that guy was in a lot of stuff. Go Sark.

I just sat and watched Tron again last night and I forgot how confusing it was. My husband understands it completely because he's a geek and an electrical engineer, but I was sitting there going “huh?” ….But from an artistical standpoint, it's very unique. It still stands out, even today. …But from a story standpoint, it still confuses me.

But the neat thing was, I saw a lot of symbolism that I didn't see the last time I saw it. The maze of cubicles that looked like a computer grid. Stuff like that.
jalford at 2:56AM, Aug. 8, 2008
(online)
Hopefully they'll have more effective weapons than frisbees dipped in neon paint this time around.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
mlai at 12:57AM, Aug. 9, 2008
(online)
What was so “groundbreaking” about Tron? I remember watching it as a kid. Ppl who dive inside a video game to take out the evil AI from the inside, or something. What's so hard to understand about that????

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
ozoneocean at 4:00AM, Aug. 9, 2008
(online)
I have no idea. I haven't seen it again for years. But I loved those costumes ^_^

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved