Media Megaforum

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
ShinuZero at 11:31AM, Feb. 4, 2009
(online)
You can't win with fans. That's why I think adaptations are stupid. Because people can't accept them for what they are, and instead want them to be like it is in their head. Why can't people understand the point of an ADAPTATION. Geez.

Rant end.
All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Dark Pascual at 11:40AM, Feb. 4, 2009
(online)
ShinuZero
You can't win with fans. That's why I think adaptations are stupid. Because people can't accept them for what they are, and instead want them to be like it is in their head. Why can't people understand the point of an ADAPTATION. Geez.

Rant end.

If that happen, then what us, poor geeks, will do???

Get a life?

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

(and Unicron is still the Light…)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
NickGuy at 12:50PM, Feb. 4, 2009
(online)
ShinuZero

Rant end.

agreed! by all rights, everyone should hate batman begins and dark knight.

“the costume looks nothing like the comic!”

“wtf is up with jokers face?”

“that batmobile looks hella gay”

“wheres the bat plane/copter?”

“why doesnt batman do any spiderman like acrobatic stunts like in the comics????”

the end.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
subcultured at 10:08AM, Feb. 16, 2009
(online)
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
the2ndredbaron at 1:57PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(online)
Trailer looks AWESOME!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Rokan4 at 3:27PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(offline)
Very nice. First movie was okay. Not the best movie in the world, but I liked it. This one looks a lot better.

The fanboi rantfests amused me greatly last time around… I wonder what reasons they'll cough up for hating the movie this time around? Either way, it's going to be fun watching them chew up the new trailer and spit it out.

*grabs a bucket o' popcorn and takes a seat*
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
lastcall at 6:58AM, June 27, 2009
(offline)
Apologies for digging a thread out from the dead, but I couldn't find any recent topics on this subject, and the movie was just released this week, so…

This is what I thought of the second movie….

And that's about all it was.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Atom Apple at 10:12AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
Only thing I liked was seeing the intricate transformations.

Which we already saw in the first one.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
PIT_FACE at 10:12AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
i'm a bit disapointed with it. it just had to much B.S. ill admit there were a few parts that made me crack up, but there was just to much crap in there i didnt care about. although i still loved the action scenes though,those were ace. i was just a little let down though. when the movie comes out i'll probably buy it and skip over a buncha shit to the cool stuff.love the sound fx too! big, intense movie theatre sound fx with kick ass imagery, that just fuckin does it for me there.that's all i need in a movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Inkmonkey at 10:19AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
I liked this more than the first Transformers film. I actually enjoyed the first film, so taht should say something. The big thing is that more of the Transformers (especially Megatron and Starscream) get more characterization this time around. The first movie had a serious lack of focus on the ‘bots, though from my understanding that was largely from the cost of having to animate them doing anything. The effects were amazing; it was easy to forget that the robots were pretty much all digital sometimes. I guess that’s the advantage of mechanical objects: they translate into CGI much more believably than organic stuff.

I guess it just reminded me more of the original series. There seemed a bit more focus on humor this time around, which was largely welcome when it was subdued, but some of the jokes felt forced and out of place. A good example I can think of is when a small robot joins up with the heroes and immediately starts humping Megan Fox's leg. Why? It's not like people were laughing at that scene: not in the theater I went to, anyway. I guess it's just that sex jokes feel really out of place in a Transformers movie. The best comparison I can make is the one scene in the first Transformers where Bumblebee basically pisses all over Da Jesus. It was forced, it was crude, and the joke is so old that it just pulls you out of the movie.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm a lot more forgiving of the movies than some fans because I was always more into the toys than the show. I've seen plenty of it, sure, but to me, this is a movie based on a toy line. A toy line for children. I think it hit my personal sweet spot of taking the whole thing serious enough to pull you into the conflict, but not so seriously that it feels pretentious.

Really, though, some of my favorite parts of this were how much of a throwback this was to the original animated Transformers: The Movie. First and foremost, there's Megatron being resurrected while in servitude to another older, more powerful Transformer. Then there's the death of Optimus prime, and the quest for the Matrix of Leadership (though why they didn't make it look more like the original is beyond me). There's a few other things, like Starscream taking control of the Decepticons while Megatron's dead, but that's as much a reference to his day-to-day personality as it was to the original movie

All in all, it was a fun movie. Not necessarily a good movie: it won't change your life or anything. But I don't think that's the kind of movie it should be. This is Transformers. They're toys. More than meets the eye, perhaps, but not too much more.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Amelius at 11:00AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
Lastcall, you are my hero for posting that! :)

It shamed the Decepticon shirt I wore to see it! T_T

If you actually liked the character “Jarjar Binks” you'll love the characters in this movie, because dang near everyone acts like him.

If you like: watching male dogs hump each other (and robots humping legs too), staring at a giant robot's testicles (and oh yes, there are a lot of jokes involving testicles in this one!)listening to bad actors argue incessantly, racist caricatures and farting robots, well then you have no taste but you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself.

If you're a fan of the Transformers from the 80s and you want to see your favorite giant robots kicking the tin cans of other giant robots, and you want to spot your favorite Autobot/Decepticon in the melee and root for it, you're going to be as sorely disappointed as I was.
I just wanted all the humans to die, die die! Horribly and painfully and FAST for goodness sakes, kill them fast before they can annoy me with (more of)their screams!

And to argue the point of “fanboys/girls are nevar happy!”
You know WHY they can't stomach these “adaptions”? No, not because it doesn't live up to some ridiculous standard they've built up in their head, it's because you become a FAN of something because you LIKE it for specific reasons. When a movie “adaption” does away with everything you loved about a series and turns it into a retarded, bloated, special effects extravaganza and throws out all the mythology and continuity and redesigns your favorite character to look like a dumpy toady (that'd be what they did to Starscream for me)then as a FAN, you're going to be rightfully pissed! When a series about giant effin' transforming robots has a movie “adaption” that's about a bunch of ANNOYING, screaming, idiotic human character and reduces the robot's importance to scenery in the backdrop, you'll also be royally P'o'd! It's called “Transformers”, not “Screaming Sam's augmentative adventures with his megaskank girlfriend and his annoying new roommate and that FBI dude who's butt you get to see again who save the world by somehow outrunning giant robots.”

And the argument that Batman Begins/Dark Knight should be hated by these same people makes me think that you don't realize one simple factor: They were good movies. This was not.

Batman and Robin was NOT a good movie, and it was rightfully panned. Bat credit card, anyone?

It's not that hard to make a movie based on a franchise and stay *mostly* LOYAL TO THE MATERIAL without it being crap! They did it with Star Trek, Iron Man, Spiderman, they did it with Get Smart, they can do it with others. Even reinventions like the new Battlestar Galactica proved that while you don't have to be a slave to the source material, you can still make something GOOD and no one will complain.
Are you going to defend “Land of the Lost” on the same basis? That the movie clearly isn't that bad, it's just that fanboys can never be happy?

I'm sorry but people can tell crap from diamonds, even “fanboys”.

I can understand when you make minor changes to something, there's no use as a fan getting all worked up about it. Clearly, Ravage needed a “modern” update since cassettes are no longer the technological standard, and one couldn't complain about that. That's minor stuff and fanboys/girls like me (fangirl, that is) can accept a change like that.

what we do NOT accept is focusing so much on that effing annoying Shia Lebouf character! Spike was never this annoying, nor was Daniel or any of the other squishable humans from the cartoon.
There is a BIG difference from merely nitpicking (like say for instance complaining that the Matrix of Leadership was redesigned) and being angry that they took a franchise that you have fond memories of and making quite possibly the WORST movie you've seen in your life. And you know what? I'm not even that picky about movies, but this movie made me angry! I could feel my braincells dying!

And seriously, who do you expect to want to see the movie adaptions be loyal to the material? It certainly wasn't aimed at children, with all the sex and scrotum jokes in there plus the needless swearing (I don't get worked up over swearing mind you, especially when it fits. They toss the “s” word in there like it's as common as “the”. It's like listening to children swear for goodness sakes!) and it certainly couldn't be aimed at people who like good action movies, which this wasn't. Who does that leave but the actual FANS of TRANSFORMERS? And when you can't even try to please the fans, who are you making this movie for anyway? Yourself? At least The Watchmen made an attempt to be loyal to the source material, it just lacked the soul of the original. Transformers by all accounts seeks only to explode things and throw annoying, spastic Jarjar binks characters into your face and expects you to be happy about it because at least Optimus and Bumblebee have the right color scheme.

I wasn't pleased with the first movie for similar reasons: I hated the human characters and they focus TOO MUCH on them! But that movie was Citizen Kane compared to this sequel!

And I don't want to hear any of this “rose tinted nostalgia glasses” crap from anyone, I just watched some of the old Transformers cartoons last week and I loved it as much as I did when I was younger. It had its flaws but at least it didn't make me want to throttle the director!

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
Inkmonkey at 11:19AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
i remember reading a bit about one of the designers talking about Starscream, and how he ended up all squat and gorilla looking because, if they didn't, he would be HUGE. F-15's are pretty big, it seems, and they didn't want anyone taller than Optimus and Megatron.
Amelius at 11:37AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
Really? That's lame! Why not make 10 louder! (I mean…) they've already shown them to be able to transform from a very compact form, that just seems like they're covering their butts in retaliation to the fans complaining. Why couldn't he at least be the same height? If they hadn't made Megatron look so squat too, they wouldn't have had a problem!
The reason the orignal character appealed to me so much is (well, for a robot-man) he was handsome but evil! When you look like a toady, you're just telegraphing it! Like “hey, backstabbing henchman over here! Don't trust me!”
That's the worst redesign since Simon Belmont in Captain N! (okay, at least Starscream's personality was sill intact, but come on! This is Transformers, not Beast Wars!)

Also you're right, maybe i couldn't tell ‘cuz I saw this at a drive-in with my friends, but no one in the car I was in or on the adjacent sides were laughing at the robot humping. A lot of those jokes were met with awkward silence.

But I will agree with one thing, the sound effects and special effects in this movie were top-notch. I just wish the rest of the movie had been! Maybe my fondness for the animated movie makes me a little bias, but as a fan you’d think I have the right to be, eh?
Oddly enough, the only humans I didn't completely loathe were the army dudes. Perhaps that's because they didn't scream like little girls…
Sysli at 1:28PM, June 27, 2009
(online)
Okay, summing up my opinion, let's see…

More or less my opinion is closest to Inkmonkey's so far.
A lot of bad parts (Amelius mentioned some of them) a few parts I liked a lot. All in all it was okay. I had fun seeing it.
I'm not an old fan and don't know that much about Transformers, so I guess I can ignore some of the parts that angers some of the Old Fans, but I can still catch the obvious referances.

There's a lot of things I could complain about, but there was some parts I really liked as I've mentioned, and it doesn't really matter in the end. The whole concept is kinda stupid to begin with and guess what? That's why I love it.

There. You can all go hate me and think I'm a terrible person with bad taste now if you want to I guess. It just didn't seem that bad to me.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Amelius at 2:08PM, June 27, 2009
(online)
Well when you get down to it, any concept can be seen as “stupid”, depending on your tastes. I actually like the concept, just not what they did with it in the movie. Being a sci-fi series, the concept is a little bizarre outside the genre but certainly not stupid!

Pfft, no one is gonna hate ya for liking the movie, I didn't say liking the movie itself means you have no taste, liking it for the reasons I stated above however does! ;)
(besides, enjoying an awful movie doesn't make you a terrible person, I'm actually a little hurt that you'd infer that from my post! I like awful movies myself, but this was too awful!)

I'm just saying that you could have substituted anything (aliens for example) for the giant robots and it would have been the same movie, since their mythos is completely underdeveloped in favor of the following the human characters. I feel that if they'd left these mooks out of the picture, the movie would have improved at least 50%. Instead, they waste our time “developing” these insipid, moronic, loud-mouth characters and the few Transformers they DO feel the need to focus on are offensive and annoying like Jarjar Binks (I'm talking about Mudflap and Skids, and looking it up just now, I'm not the only one making this exact comparison!)
Inkmonkey at 3:01PM, June 27, 2009
(online)
On the subject of the cursing in this movie, I'm reminded of something I'd heard about the original cartoon film: there's a scene in that movie where one of the characters (I believe it's Spike's dad) yells “Shit!” as he's sucked into a vortex. Rumor has it that, despite the huge body count for the film, they were all robots so the MPAA didn't really care and gave it a PG rating. As the story goes, the producers wanted the movie to get a PG-13 so that parents would feel compelled to accompany their kids into the theater. Of course, that meant they'd have to buy a ticket for themselves as well…
tea_green at 7:35PM, June 27, 2009
(online)
Personally, I enjoyed the second movie better than the first. There was more focus on the bots, Soundwave was there (being voiced by Dr. Claw himself.), and the robots got a personality. Prime was all, f*ck your couch Megatron, F*CK YO' COUCH! and Bumblebee was cute with his attachment to Sam. It was weird seeing Megatron being submissive to The Fallen and I spent most of the movie anticipating his impending betrayal but I was suprised I guess. I dunno, I've been sick of megatron for like, ever.

I never liked Megatron. When I was little my mom and my grandmother just kept buying me versions of him becuase I liked purple. I got Optimus one time and I lost him but I was stuck with six f*cking Megatrons and it irritated me. Yes, I was a bit of a spoiled kid.

Aaaanyway, By the time it reached the climax, I had stopped caring for any of the human characters. I was like, oh, Sam's dead…BUT WHO WILL REVIVE OPTIMUS PRIME?! Megan Fox could not do it because as the love interest she is just competent enough to be spank material for connoisseurs of greasy women.

Over all, the Michael Bay Money Cannon 2 entertained me. I saw a mindless movie and I had fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Sysli at 12:06AM, June 28, 2009
(online)
Thanks Amelius, it's good to be defended a bit, especially by a person with a different opinion than yourself. And that silly “hate me” line wasn't written with you in mind at all, you usually seem very capable of letting other people have their opinion, it was just me being silly/stupid because quite a lot of people seem to not like it very very deeply.

And the things you rant about makes a lot of sense. I just don't know the mythos that well (or at all) so it doesn't affect me the same way.
The JarJar/hickbots were annoying to us not-really-fans(yet) too. Like my friend and I agreed: "That ONE scene with them was pretty cool… But it would have been a lot cooler if it had been with somebody we actually cared about“. I'd have preferred to get to know some of the others better. I have no idea what any of their names are as we saw them about two times each and were lucky if we got a name in a shot where you could guess who was who.

Finally: ”stupid" wasn't the best choice of words. I should have used silly or something else. And again, you're right, it's not the worst idea that's been made into something tangible. I have nothing against fans of Transformers and I don't think they're dumb just because they like it. Not unless I'm an even dumber person than them, because I like things with a lot less qualities, and them it has plenty of (as I understand it. I Still don't know that much).

Hopefully I've regained a bit of my lost respect. I know my arguments aren't that solid, but I try not to write too long replies. As can be seen I fail horribly at it anyway, but imagine how long this would be if I didn't restrain myself, imagine and fear. ;)
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
lastcall at 4:49AM, June 28, 2009
(offline)
Next thing ya know, Michael Bay will want to direct a “My Little Pony” or “Rainbrow Brite” movie….exploding ponies would be cool.
Dark Pascual at 11:28AM, June 28, 2009
(online)
The only thing I can say is that TRANSFORMERS WAS AWESOME!!!!!

Action packed, a lots of pretty cool explotions, a bunch of kickass fights, cool cars that transform into even cooler robots and the ultimate proof that Optimus Prime is GOD (he died for your sins and raised from the dead 3 days later!!!).

And Megan Fox is hot as hell…

Now, bring Ultra Magnus and Unicron for Transformers 3!!!
Skullbie at 4:04PM, June 28, 2009
(online)
Very very nice, Megan fox's tits are great actors :) i could see the swaying emotion from them during the actions scenes, the bouncing tensions between them and the computer generated explosions running slo-mo in the background… I consider shia lebouf and that comedy relief guy to be extremely competent actors but they were dwarfed by her rack.

I actually liked mudflap, skids and that toy truck humper thing; they were excellent retards and supporting characters of megan's rack.
Really though this is a movie where you should shut off your brain to the level of the toy truck humper, because if you don't it's going to shrivel and spasm in pain, a lot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
lastcall at 4:30PM, June 28, 2009
(offline)
Dark Pascual
She's got a clubbed thumb, ya know. ;) And those lips are so filled with silicon, I'm surprised Michael Bay didn't make them explode. lol!
JustNoPoint at 8:16PM, June 28, 2009
(online)
lastcall
Next thing ya know, Michael Bay will want to direct a “My Little Pony” or “Rainbrow Brite” movie….exploding ponies would be cool.
Too late
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Dark Pascual at 8:57PM, June 28, 2009
(online)
JustNoPoint
lastcall
Too late

I would definitively pay to see that… I actually think that they should give the Mindsweeper movie to Michael Bay as well…
ozoneocean at 3:24AM, June 29, 2009
(online)
JustNoPoint
Too late
Awesome.
It's time the world learned the truth anyway…
The first horse I ever rode was a cute little pony with red fur and a yellow mane and tail called “Sunray”. He looked just like a My Little Pony, but he was as mean as hell.

They're out to getcha.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
NickGuy at 10:47AM, June 29, 2009
(online)
JustNoPoint
lastcall
Too late

oh my god….that is so full of win

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
lastcall at 4:42AM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
That was awesome, lol lol!
ttyler at 3:09PM, July 1, 2009
(online)
Now, THAT, is something I'd pay good money to see!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
Sea_Cow at 5:24PM, July 1, 2009
(offline)
My main problem was the humor. The mom eating weed brownies, alright. Rainn Wilson being a sub-jailbait lion, okay. A human sized female robot dominating Shia LaBeouf, fine. John Turturro was also pretty funny. But honestly. I'm pretty sure the movie could have done without the pointless slapstick humor. By the time those two little guys turned from an ice cream truck into smart cars, they lost all appeal in my eyes. I couldn't make out a word they said. Most of the robots' actual lines were excruciating to listen to anyways, so maybe that wasn't so bad. But still, “the scrotum of the enemy”? Have some pride, John.

lastcall
Dark Pascual
She's got a clubbed thumb, ya know. ;) And those lips are so filled with silicon, I'm surprised Michael Bay didn't make them explode. lol!
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
theprettiestpony at 8:56AM, July 2, 2009
(offline)
pros:
john turturro is always classic
that guy from even stevens

cons:
contrived plotline reeks from being an amalgam of what made the first movie successful combined with numerous other tropes. see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TransformersFilmSeries
secretly an army promo

and yeah they definitely pulled a jar-jar binks with those ice cream truck robots, who may or may not be racial caricatures (down to the gold tooth)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved