Media Megaforum

Transformers movie - Yay or nay?
snark at 4:22AM, April 15, 2007
(offline)
Well, come this July the Transformers movie is coming to theaters. With Micheal Bay at the helm, a man who admits having little knowledge of the beloved 80s cartoon, I'm kinda worried at whats going to happen to some of my childhood heroes =p

So I wondering how you guys think this movies going to turn out? Yay, or nay?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
ccs1989 at 11:03AM, April 15, 2007
(online)
I don't really care, but I kind of hope for the sake of the people who did really like the cartoon as a kid that it is a good movie. However I doubt I'll see it. If it's bad I can't wait for the rants that it will cause.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Inkmonkey at 12:00PM, April 15, 2007
(online)
It's a live-action version of a series of half-hour toy commercials. I'm not expecting a great movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
isukun at 12:25PM, April 15, 2007
(online)
From the commercials, it looks like it's lost too much of it's focus to appeal to the older fans. I have a feeling even if it is a good movie, people will bitch and complain. With Michae Bay, though, I'm not going to raise my expectations that high.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Neilsama at 2:12PM, April 15, 2007
(online)
If you think about it, it's actually strangely appropriate that Michael Bay is directing this movie. After all, Michael Bay movies have always been rather light on physics (particularly Armageddon), and the original Transformers series was also that way. Think about it. It's a show where an 8 ton robot could transform into a 2 lb. cassette player. That's right up Bay's alley.

In fact, I was rather shocked when he announced that they would NOT be having any size-changing Transformers in the film. My reaction to that was, “But you're Michael Bay.”

I think it'll be stupid but in a fun sort of way. Sort of like the first movie was.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
ozoneocean at 5:20PM, April 15, 2007
(online)
Ah well… The original cartoon series was really pretty crappy, let's be honest. We look back on it fondly, but you should know in your heart of hearts that even for the time it wasn't that amazing. It didn't stop us loving it though.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of kids watching this movie that'll think it's the greatest thing ever and love it like we loved the show way back then. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
subcultured at 7:30PM, April 15, 2007
(online)
nostalgia :)

cool classic animation…unlike today's static anime
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 5:07AM, April 16, 2007
(online)
subcultured
cool classic animation…unlike today's static anime

whoa, you're kidding right? that animation's terrible!! compare that to an episode of FMA… and you'll realize they're incomparable!!
I have to say, regarding transformers in general (that was way before my time anyway- I was a total TV head when I was little yet I never, ever saw that show.) NAY!
nay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Rich at 5:26AM, April 16, 2007
(online)
How many people actually watched the classic Transformers TV show for anything other than badass robots? Seriously, how many? The writing was almost universally sub-par.

As long as the new Transformers movie delivers lots of robot asskicking action, noone will be likely to care if it's a tad bit different than the original.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Neilsama at 9:08AM, April 16, 2007
(online)
Kristen Gudsnuk
whoa, you're kidding right? that animation's terrible!! compare that to an episode of FMA… and you'll realize they're incomparable!!
Well, I wouldn't call that terrible. It's not sophisticated animation, but there was nothing immediately terrible about it. In fact, pretty much all the shots that they used for the closing credits of the first season were fairly exciting.

On the other hand, the producers of the show knew to use the best available animation for the opening and closing credits. The actual programming tended to be more of a mixed bag. I mean, you'd have characters colored wrong, characters frequently off-model, animation that didn't quite convey what was going on, the dialogue was synched to the wrong character, etc. And it became much more prevelant as the series went on.

By the time the third season was in production, quality control over the animation was terrible. So much so that I couldn't stand watching it.

If the series had maintained a quality of animation that was at least on par with the first season, even if it meant a more limited number of episodes per season, I truly think it could have lasted much longer than it did.

Still, my point wasn't about the animation. It was that the stories themselves tended to be rather stupid, and that the laws of physics did not exist in Transformers. There's the infamous gravity-in-space controversy from the first movie. Soundwave could change size AND weight. The Transformers apparently could gasp and wheeze as they were dying. When the characters transformed, their pilot cockpits would completely disappear. If they opened them in robot mode, only circuitry would be visible. And then there's my favorite scientific anomoly of the entire series: Prime's trailer.

And yet, we're expecting to hold Michael Bay to some standard that never truly existed.
SpANG at 10:21AM, April 16, 2007
(online)
Soundwave is an iPOD now. ;)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
jalford at 2:10PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
On Transformers: Cybertron he was a cassette player/starfighter.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Neilsama at 8:43PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
Soundwave's greatest transformation occurs in the first episode of the original series. Before the first commercial break, he can change into a lamp post.

The second best Soundwave transformation was on Robot Chicken, when he turned into a portapotty.
jalford at 12:32AM, April 17, 2007
(online)
Why is it that he can fit about 6 of the “Cassetticons” in him on the TV show, but only one on the actual toy of him? Same thing with Blaster and his “Audiobots”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 6:07AM, April 17, 2007
(online)
jalford
Same thing with Blaster and his “Audiobots”.
Only the lion one was any good. I still have that one!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: that silly Autobot that changed from a bot, to a jetfighter to an AIRCRAFTCARRIER. I have that one too, it's robot mode is the lamest of all the transformers: it's legs don't even move, they're not really even two distinct “legs”, to transform all it does is flip its “feet” forwards, pop its head out the top and pop it's arms out the sides. Lame.

and it's meant to change from normal Autobot size to supermassive-gigantic-able-to-hold-all-the-other-bots-inside-it… crazy.

Neilsama at 11:59AM, April 17, 2007
(online)
jalford
Why is it that he can fit about 6 of the “Cassetticons” in him on the TV show, but only one on the actual toy of him? Same thing with Blaster and his “Audiobots”.
Actually, I think Soundwave was up to 8 at one point, with the introduction of Slugfest and Overkill late in season 3. Soundwave's chest was like a bottomless pit of reinforcements.

ozoneocean
I've said it before and I'll say it again: that silly Autobot that changed from a bot, to a jetfighter to an AIRCRAFTCARRIER. I have that one too, it's robot mode is the lamest of all the transformers: it's legs don't even move, they're not really even two distinct “legs”, to transform all it does is flip its “feet” forwards, pop its head out the top and pop it's arms out the sides. Lame.

and it's meant to change from normal Autobot size to supermassive-gigantic-able-to-hold-all-the-other-bots-inside-it… crazy.
Hahahaha! That was Broadside! Yeah, that one guy defied all kinds of logic. His robot scale tended to change a lot in the cartoon, as well. At one time, he was actually supposed to be a larger robot, similar to Tidalwave, but I guess Hasbro threw a hissyfit about Broadside's representation in the cartoon. About halfway through season 3, Broadside's character design changed to…*sigh* …look more like the toy. Not only that, it was eventually clarified that Broadside was to be a regular-size transformer that somehow transformed into an aircraft carrier.

My friends and I used to joke that if Broadside went back in time, he could meet himself. And then one as one Broadside transformed into an aircraft carrier, the other could turn into the plane, and then Broadside could land on himself.
magnus911 at 7:48PM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
I actually think that this movie can be quite good, if you don't look at it like a robot-war movie. The approach that Michael Bay took was more “disaster-flick” orientated, focusing on what effects the Autobot-Decepticon war on Earth have on us humans, rather on the Autobots' struggle against the Decepticons.

And they got Optimus Prime's original voice actor, Peter Cullen, to voice Prime. I'm a little iffy on the decision to have Hugo Weaving voice Megatron though. And Shia LaBeouf plays Sam “Spike” Witwicky, which is awesome.

I've never been a big fan of the original Transformers cartoon, but the thought of seeing a live-action Optimus Prime, one of my favourite cartoon characters of all time, just excited me to the point of scouring the internet for information about how the Transformers would look like. I REALLY want to see this movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
fern at 7:51PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
It's gunna rock that ass!

Shia Labeouf has never let me down.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Neilsama at 8:30PM, April 17, 2007
(online)
magnus911
I actually think that this movie can be quite good, if you don't look at it like a robot-war movie. The approach that Michael Bay took was more “disaster-flick” orientated…
Actually, I'd rather have it be a robot war movie. When I see “Michael Bay” and “disaster flick” in the same sentence, it makes me want to run for the hills. I mean, look at Armageddon. That movie was all sorts of stupid.
ozoneocean at 2:48AM, April 18, 2007
(online)
Neilsama
My friends and I used to joke that if Broadside went back in time, he could meet himself. And then one as one Broadside transformed into an aircraft carrier, the other could turn into the plane, and then Broadside could land on himself.
And if they then went far forward (when presumably he'd shrink more), his robot self could ride inside his jetfighter self! :)

So he could fly in himself and land on himself… That sounds dirty.

Bipolar Crab at 2:42AM, April 26, 2007
(offline)
ANOTHER Spin-off of my childhood will be ruined by a bad plot and or bad directing… I think.
dun dun dun
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
snark at 9:37PM, April 26, 2007
(offline)
Bipolar Crab
ANOTHER Spin-off of my childhood will be ruined by a bad plot and or bad directing… I think.

Yeah, probably, though the sheer badassness of watching Optimus Prime transforming from truck to robot in all his cg glory should hopefully make up for that
reconjsh at 9:57PM, April 26, 2007
(online)
I pretty certain this will be awesome. I will gladly pay to go see this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
GinckPress at 3:15PM, April 27, 2007
(online)
After all the nonsense of the original series ( of which I own on DVD and have deep nostalgic feelings for ), and all the nonsense of the original comic series, and all the alternate reality crap between the 1984 movie, the UK comic, and the US comic, and then all the convoluted mythology adjustment that's gone on since Generation 2, the only thing that could make this movie suck is bad special fx and David Goyers.

Storywise, I believe they've gone the most logical and effective direction in converting the property to a feature-length live action film. My only standing beef is the changing of the Matrix into the The Allspark. The name change I can understand with it's obvious associations, but the mythology change is a little disappointing. Instead of being an artifact held by a distinguised cybertonian known as “The Prime”, it's the source of all Cybertronian life. The over all effect is that they've reduced the significance of Optimus Prime, and the reason he is “Prime”, in exchange for an increase in significance of The Allspark and Megatron ( he is deemed an equal co-leader of cybertron with Optimus before he decides to take supreme control for himself ). They basically combined the story-function of The Matrix of Leadership with the story-function of Energon, the cybertronian power source. Classically they came to Earth searching for Energon ( originally it was just “energy”, the “engergon cubes” being an invention of Soundwave's in the series, but later writers changed the mythos a bit so that the official foodstock of transformers was called “energon” ), in the film they come to earth searching for The Allspark ( which is in the shape of a cube, as Energon was in the original series ).

Unlike a lot of folks, it seems, I haven't read the movie script, nor will I until AFTER I see the film ( I'd like to enjoy it ), but I have been reading the Movie-prequel comics which is where I got most of my information above - I consider them worth any TransFans' time.

On Michael Bay: I understand the criticisms that are made of him, but I honestly cannot think of a more appropriate director for this film. James Cameron? The only time Transformers came close to the type of high-brow sci-fi action filming that Cameron does was in Beast Machines, and a little in Beast Wars, but for the most part Transformers has always been as popcorn campy and cheezy as any Michael Bay film. Maybe some of the comics got up there, but come on, the vast majority of the people going to see this movie didn't even read the comics, and the only thing they remember of the cartoon was the sound the robots made when they transformed, and maybe that Optimus Prime transformed into a truck.

What was said about Cameron can be said about Ridley Scott as well.

Who else? Brian Singer? No way. That guy would just make it into another metaphor of societal oppression of gays and lesbians - just joking - sort of. The guy's good at making movies with heart where you actually care about the characters, but I've always felt his films' overall execution to be rather flawed. X1 peetered out by the 3rd act, same with Superman Returns, and X2 ( while my fav of the 3 ) was nowhere near as exciting as X3.

I will agree with a lot of Bay's critics, but I must say, eye-candy aside, I was bored as all hell by the Star Wars prequels, but I've never been bored by a Michael Bay film.

All my fellow G1 fans need to let go of the past two decades and watch this movie for the exact same reason they started watching TF in the first place: too see giant, transforming, sentiant ( i.e.: non-piloted ) robots kick the shit out of eachother - PERIOD.

If you expect more than that, you will be disappointed. Just like all those people who expected to get anything more than an “F-16's VS Flying Saucers” movie out of Independence Day.

So yes, I will see this movie, and I will enjoy it.

J.
www.planetaeruen.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
snark at 7:18PM, April 27, 2007
(offline)
GinckPress
All my fellow G1 fans need to let go of the past two decades and watch this movie for the exact same reason they started watching TF in the first place: too see giant, transforming, sentiant ( i.e.: non-piloted ) robots kick the shit out of eachother - PERIOD.

Wow, truer words have never been said
kaminari at 4:18PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
Michael Bay's reasoning for giving Optimus Prime flames?

Because he wanted them!!

I really hate this guy.. seriously..
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808716430/video/2939413/standardformat

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
fern at 5:05PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
Michael Bay has never let me down… excpept that time he let me down.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Hguyver at 7:35PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
You know what… I LIKE the flames. it keeps with the color layout and I think it looks pretty badass.

Sure, I'm kinda disapointed that it's not a cab over engine like the orginal series but it's still cool. Optimus for the most part, still looks like optimus. I mean, he's had so many incarnation from cartoon, to comic book and anime that I can't say I'm all that upset about it.

I think movie Optimus looks Cool. Thats all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Phantom Penguin at 8:19PM, June 6, 2007
(offline)
I only watched Beast Wars as a youngster.
I'm not expecting anything great, just something entertaining.

But like any movie based of something like this, no matter how good it is, fans of the original are going to go apeshit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
kaminari at 12:28AM, June 7, 2007
(online)
I could care less what they look like in the movie..
I just hate the director's attitude in that interview (and in general).. *shrugs*
Its kinda like “I listened to the fans then said screw you… oh yeah!”.

oh, and his movies are generally pretty bad.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved